Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To fool an Elf  by frodo16424

Ch 3 Estel’s story

Estel entered the study with the rest of his family behind him. Glorfindel started to leave, but Estel bade him stay.

“Now, tell us about your last patrol, and leave nothing out,” demanded Elladan. “And do not say there were no injuries. I can see just by looking at you there was trouble.”

“Aye, naneth,” said Estel with a laugh. “Very well, you asked for it. We had received information that a troupe of traveling entertainers was, in actuality, spies for Saruman. It was decided that two of us would go, in disguise, and attempt to gather what news we could about them. I decided to be one of the entertainers and another ranger from the second patrol would go as well.

“We learned to be jugglers. I must admit I enjoyed the traveling, and the patter that the showmen would use to entice others to pay the price of admission.

“After about four months, we received a visitor. He was hooded and cloaked, but there was a feeling of evil. He wished for us to spy for him. It was not put that way, but the results would be the same. All we had to do was to watch, and record, where and when, men of the towns along our route would be gone. The towns would then be raided, and the women and children would either be sold into slavery or slain.”

Estel stood and went to the window, trying not to show the strain the memories had on him. The elves sat quietly, waiting for the rest of the story.

Estel stood at the window, gazing out over Rivendell, but not seeing it. He was again back with the patrol. He continued, knowing that they would hear him from his position.

“In some way, we were found out. As we met with the rest of our patrol, Orcs and wargs caught us. There was a battle, and many men, including the one with me, were slaughtered. Out of twenty rangers, four survived, all badly wounded. We had no water, little food. None of us were able to hunt, so we shared what we had. Finally, we ran out. We were resigned to starving, when Halbarad and his men found us. They bound our wounds, and gave us food. I passed on the information we had gathered. I heard that the spies were found, judged, and executed.”

There was silence, unbroken until Elrond spoke. “There is some things you have left out, ion nin. I know you gave your share of food to the wounded men, but took nothing for yourself. I also know how close you were to starving so your men would have food.” Estel nodded, saying only, “I would do the same again.”

Glorfindel went over to Estel, and clasped his shoulder, giving him a smile. “I would not expect you to do otherwise.”

Estel smiled at his old teacher, then sat back down on the couch.

Elrohir spoke up. “Did you say you learned to juggle? And how was it you managed to fit in with a troupe of entertainers.”

Estel laughed, saying, “Give me your daggers, gwadors, and I will show you.” Turning to Legolas, he said “May I have the use of your daggers as well, mellon nin?”

Legolas handed them to his friend, his face creased in a frown. He was not certain that Estel could do as he claimed without injury, but he was curious enough to see if it were true.

Estel now had six daggers in his hands. He strode to the center of the room, and proceeded to toss the daggers in the air, then catching them. Faster and faster they spun, flashing in the sunlight. He finished, then bowed to the applause of the elves.

“I also have juggled swords, glasses, even pieces of amour,” he said, laughing. “As to how I fit in, it was easy. People see what the desire to see. I was able to disguise myself so that even the ranger with me did not recognize me at first.” He could not help bragging a little. “I wager I could enter Rivendell without either of you recognizing me. Furthermore, you would escort me without knowing who I was,” said Estel with a little smirk.

Elladan and Elrohir looked at him. “Would you care to wager? I deem you need to be taught not to be so brash,” replied Elrohir, smiling.

Elrond and Glorfindel both closed their eyes, and shook their heads. They really did not want to know where this going, but were curious enough to see if Estel would win.

“Very well, we have a wager. We will have Adar and Glorfindel as witnesses,” said Estel.

Ion nin - my son

Gwadors - brothers





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List