Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To fool an Elf  by frodo16424

Estel looked at his father and Glorfindel. “Would you be willing to be witnesses to our wager?” he asked with a smile.

“Very well. What are the exact terms of your wager?” asked Elrond.

Estel spoke. “First: I will be able to trick Elladan and Elrohir into escorting me into Rivendell without them knowing who I am. Secondly, I will attempt to take an article of theirs to prove I was actually here. I’ll let them decide what the article will be. If they win, I will…” his voice trailed off as he looked at Elrohir blankly. Elrohir returned the look as blankly.

“I do not remember any forfeitures being discussed,” replied Elladan. “Ideas?”

The brothers tried to think of what the forfeit might be.

“Legolas, have you any ideas? Adar? Glorfindel?” Elladan asked, hoping to receive an answer.

Glorfindel frowned, then said, “I have an idea. If Estel wins, Elladan will owe him a new cloak, and Elrohir will owe him a set of hunting knives. If Estel loses, He will owe Elladan a new bow, and to Elrohir will go a new quiver.”

“I feel that is more than fair, mellon nin,” replied Elrond. The three brothers agreed happily, each already seeing their new equipment in their hands

Legolas then spoke, “May I make a suggestion? It would be easy for Estel to fool Elladan and Elrohir once, so why not make it more interesting, perhaps with Estel entering three times? He would be escorted the first time, then leave it open for the other two visits.”

Estel looked at Legolas, nodding his head. “I agree. The first would perhaps be accidental, but three would be deliberate. Would there be a limit on my time? I do not have to back with the rangers for a month. Therefore, I should be finished before I have to leave.”

Elladan spoke, “As for the articles, I will let Estel take what he wishes." 

All agreed to the terms. Estel stood up and said, “I will be headed for the waterfall, Ada. I have missed Rivendell, and wish to wander through its forests and along its paths. I will return at dinnertime.”

Legolas decided to go with the ranger, while Elladan and Elrohir decided to stay awhile.

Later, as they walked down the hall, Glorfindel turned to Elrond. “Do you truly believe Estel will be able to do this?” he asked.

“Aye, I believe he will do so. I cannot imagine how it will be done, but I have faith in Estel. I believe Elladan and Elrohir will be outmatched this time.” The two friends continued down the hall, laughing.

Meanwhile, Elladan and Elrohir were discussing the wager they had agreed on. “We must be vigilant, gwador nin. Estel thinks he will win. I do not believe he can do what he claims. Ah, yes. I can see us now, me with a new cloak, and you with your knives,” laughed Elladan.

Elrohir raised an eyebrow. “Remember what Adar is always counseling - do not be hasty,” replied Elrohir.

“I am not hasty,” sniffed Elladan, “merely - thinking ahead.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List