Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To fool an Elf  by frodo16424

Elrond saw Legolas coming down the hall and waited for him near the dining hall. As the blond elf approached, Elrond asked, “Were you able to wake Estel last night for dinner? I know he was exhausted.”
“Nay. I attempted to wake him, and he told me to go float an oliphaunt.” Legolas laughed.

Elrond replied, “Go float an oliphaunt? Mayhap I would not want to know what he was dreaming.”

Legolas smiled and told the Lord of Imladris, “Often when we would be together, I would initiate a conversation while Estel was sound asleep, and he would answer me. It usually made no sense, but it was funny.”

Elladan and Elrohir had joined their father and friend as Legolas was speaking.

Elladan said, “Does Estel still do that? We used to do the same thing to him, then bring it up later, and he would attempt to pretend it never happened.”

“I used to pretend what never happened, gwadors nin?” came a voice behind Elrond. The twins glanced around guiltily. How did Estel sneak up on them? They realized their little brother was, indeed, a ranger.

Elrond raised an eyebrow at the twins. “Are you sure you want an answer, Estel?”

Estel looked at the twins and Legolas and noticed a blush was working its way to the elves’ ears. “Aye, I believe it would be interesting to hear about how I talk in my sleep,” said Estel slowly, but with a twinkle he could not restrain. “Did I talk in my sleep last night, mellon nin? I recollect you bringing a tray, but I was not able to wake. Please accept my apologies if I said anything that might have upset you.” He looked at Legolas with a smile.

Legolas told him, “Do not worry. You said nothing wrong. However, may I ask - just how do I float an oliphaunt?”

Estel’s mouth fell open in shock. “I said that?”

By now, all four elves were laughing helplessly, and Estel joined in. He shook his head, and said, “Let us go in to breakfast. I am starved!”

Glorfindel joined them in time to hear Estel. He and Elrond exchanged glances, knowing that it was nearer the truth than Estel would acknowledge, at least to his brothers and his friend.

Glorfindel, Elrond, Legolas and the twins made their way to their table. Estel, however, was greeted joyfully by the elves of Rivendell. He stopped to say a word or two to each.

Elrond watched as Estel slowly made his way to their table. He was proud of how Estel made each feel as though they were the most important person just then - from the lowest apprentice to the most important guard.

Legolas noticed the look of pride and leaned over and whispered to both Elrond and Glorfindel, “He had good teachers.” Both Elladan and Elrohir smiled their agreement.

“Hannon le,” replied the two older elves, stunned that they were held in such high esteem by the three younger elves.

Finally, Estel made it to the table, his mouth watering, as he smelled the food as it was brought and set before them. Elrond asked the servers to bring Estel’s meal first, then the rest. They did as they were bid, but Estel would not touch his food until the rest of the ones at the table were served. Once they were served, he ate until he could not eat any more.

After they finished, Elladan spoke. “I believe we should adjourn to Adar’s study so Estel may tell us the truth about the last patrol. I know there is more than what was said, or unsaid, when you arrived yesterday.”

Estel winced, as he did not really want to bring up painful memories, but knew he had no choice. “Very well, I hear and obey.” He laughed and ducked the swat Elrohir aimed at his head.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List