Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Watch the Clouds Go Sailing By  by Pervinca

 Watch the Clouds Go Sailing By

Chapter 19: More Announcements

The company spent only the one night in Bree. All were anxious to reach Buckland. They returned the two ponies that Ellouise had leant them, and took back their two horses. Aragorn and Legolas did not ride the horses, instead placing Faramir and Goldi on one, and Pippin in front of Gimli on the other. Sam, Peregrin and Meriadoc walked with the King and Legolas. Sam had been quite adamant about not riding a horse. He thought that they were far too high off the ground.

As their happy company approached the Brandywine Bridge, Legolas looked up and laughed. On the east side of the river, a great many pavilions had been set up, many of them Big Folk sized.

“It would seem that your letters arrived after all,” he said to Aragorn.

“This would be Ellie’s doing,” Sam stated. “She’d never pass up a chance to meet with King Elessar.”

And as Sam said this, they all saw evidence that Elanor, at least, was present somewhere. Ahead of them, Elanor’s young son, Elfstan had been playing, but when he saw them, he stood and ran to one of the nearby pavilions.

“They’re here! They’re here!”

From this pavilion stepped the Deputy Mayor, Deputy Master, Deputy Thain and the Warden of the Westmarch. Since they often had need to leave the Shire, Samwise, Peregrin and Meriadoc had all enlisted trusted friends to run their offices in their absence. That way, the Shire would not be without a Thain, Master or Mayor.

Sam’s Deputy Mayor was Tom Cotton, Rose’s older brother and the husband of Sam’s sister, Marigold. Meriadoc’s cousin, Berilac Brandybuck took on the Master’s role whenever Meriadoc had to leave, and Peregrin’s Deputy Thain was Everard Took, the husband of his sister, Pervinca. Fastred Fairbairn, Elanor’s husband was the Warden of the Westmarch. He had never left the Shire, and so had no need of a Deputy.

“We would like to welcome you…” Tom started, but then he saw the five hobbits, and grinned.

“So, there you are,” Everard laughed. “Looks like we won’t have to stand in for you after all.”

“Elfstan, run off and find your mother and your Gammer,” Fastred told his son. Elfstan smiled at the Big People first, before running to one of the further pavilions.

Faramir, Goldi and Pippin were helped down from the horses. Once his children were safely on the ground, Sam bowed. “As Mayor, it is my honour to welcome you, King Elessar Telcontar, and your companions, Legolas Greenleaf, and Gimli, son of Glóin.”

“Pippin! Goldi!” Rose ran to embrace her children.

Diamond was not far behind. “Faramir Took! You had better have a good excuse for running off like that! Do you have any idea how worried I’ve been?”

“Sorry, Mother,” Faramir mumbled, feeling like a child, and terribly embarrassed about being treated so in front of Goldilocks and King Elessar.

Diamond’s anger melted away, and she hugged her only child. “Just don’t do it again.”

Estella, flanked by her own two children and the rest of the Gamgee brood, also came out from the pavilion. She smiled at Meriadoc, as Théodoc and Éowyn smothered him in a hug. “Welcome home, Meriadoc.”

He grinned. “Did you miss me?”

“As always.”

Sam and Peregrin were also greeted warmly by their wives, once Rose and Diamond had finished fussing over Faramir, Goldi and Pippin.

“You made it home in one piece,” Diamond joked, but her eyes told how much she had miss Peregrin.

“You did well, my Sam,” said Rose, kissing her husband’s cheek. “But I can’t deny that I was becoming rather impatient.”

“You’ve never much liked waiting for me, have you, Rosie?” Sam laughed.

One reunion that was slightly less pleasant was that between Merry and Pippin Gamgee. Merry ran over and punched his brother in the gut.

“How dare you just run off like that without me!” he growled. “I’ve had to sit at home for the past few weeks, with Mother and Diamond and Estella all worried sick, while you were off having fun on an adventure!”

“Ouch, Merry!” Pippin whined. “You did not have to hit me! Besides, it wasn’t all fun, and it wasn’t as though I was welcome.”

“What do you mean?”

Pippin smirked and whispered something in his brother’s ear. Merry listened intently, and suddenly smiled broadly and cried out, “What? Truly?”

Pippin hissed at him to keep quiet.

Goldi had a reasonable guess at what her brothers had just spoken about. She had just been welcomed back by her eldest sister, and Elanor smiled at her. She took Goldi’s hand in her own and played with the ring.

“Now, where did this come from?” Elanor teased.

Goldi flushed and pulled her hand away. “I…I found it!”

“Oh really? Did you find anything else on your little adventure?”

Luckily for Goldilocks, Meriadoc was standing close by, and he came to her rescue. “Now, now, Ellie. Leave your sister alone. I believe everyone should be able to hear the announcements at the same time.”

He nodded to Aragorn, who cleared his throat. Pervinca and Pimpernel Brandybuck (Peregrin’s sister and Berilac’s wife) were now present also, with Pimpernel’s son, Peredoc.

“My good friends of the Shire,” Aragorn greeted. “It is wonderful to see you all. I must say that it was quite a surprise when I met up with the Counsellors of the North-kingdom in the same cosy Bree-land inn where I first met them. Perhaps more surprising was their reason for being there, but it has all worked out in the end. The lost hobbits have been found and returned to those who missed them dearly.” Aragorn looked at Diamond. “Mistress Took, I believe your son has something he wishes to tell you.”

“Faramir?” Diamond looked to Faramir in confusion.

Looking incredibly nervous, Faramir smiled weakly. “Mum, the King has made me a knight of Gondor, just like Father. And when my first born son is old enough, he’ll be made a knight too.”

Tears of pride filled Diamond’s eyes. She ran to embrace him, but Faramir was not yet finished. He motioned for Goldi to join him.

“Upon my knighting, Mayor Samwise deemed me worthy,” Faramir announced, taking Goldi’s hand in his own, “to wed his daughter Goldilocks. Mistress Rose, I now ask for your blessings as well.”

A cry escaped Rose’s mouth, and she covered it with her hand. When she finally found her voice again, she stammered, “It would be an honour to call you my son.”

Goldi turned to Diamond. “Mistress Diamond, will you permit me to marry your son?”

“Gracious, of course I will!” Diamond laughed, but then she frowned. “When do you plan to hold the wedding?”

“Three years from now,” Faramir replied. “Once I’ve come of age.”

“Well, that’s good to hear,” said Rose. “I was going to ask the same question. You are both a little too young just now.”

“Well, now that everything is all said,” Peregrin stated, “do you suppose we could get a bite to eat?”

Aragorn laughed. “My friend, you have not changed.”

Diamond tried to scowl at her husband, but could not and broke into a smile. “My Lord, Legolas, Gimli, if you would follow me. We have been expecting you, and a grand feast has been prepared.”

She walked toward the largest pavilion of all, and the rest of the group followed.

Walking between Rose and Estella, Pervinca Took laughed. “What did I tell you? Faramir and Goldilocks make a wonderful pair.”

* * * * * *

The King, Legolas and Gimli remained by the Brandywine for a week. Many hobbits from Buckland to the Westmarch came to see them, especially the friends and extended families of the Thain, the Master and the Mayor.

After his visit, Aragorn would be travelling to his dwelling by Lake Evendim, where Queen Arwen would meet him. He extended an invitation to all the Shire-folk, but most of them politely declined. After all, they had a wedding to plan! Legolas and Gimli left with the King, promising to return for the wedding.

“You had better keep to that promise, Master Legolas,” Goldi warned. “I want you to stand witness for me.”

Legolas laughed, and assured her he would. Of course, he did not know what ‘standing witness’ meant, but assumed he would find out in good time.

Once the King had left, the Gamgees and the Tooks returned to their own homes. The parting between Faramir and Goldilocks was a tearful one, but Faramir promised he would visit Hobbiton as soon as he could. It was not particularly far from Tookland.

Goldi decided that she was going to sleep for three days. Now that she was home, she was exhausted. It would be a good while before she went on another adventure. However, after he first day of rest, she realised that there was something important that she needed to do, so late the next morning, she made her way to Bywater.

Lily Noakes opened the door of her family’s hole and started.

“Hullo, Lily,” Goldi greeted.

“Hullo, Goldilocks,” Lily returned. She had not forgotten Goldi’s savage words at Merry’s party. “Heard you went to Bree with Pippin and Faramir Took.”

So that was the story the Shire had been told. Goldi had wondered at that.

“Yes, that’s right.” She shifted uncomfortable. “Lily, I need to apologise to you. What I said at Merry’s party was cruel and unnecessary. I am deeply sorry for it.”

Lily sighed. “No, don’t apologise. It was about time someone told me what the lads really think. Also about time that I realised how foolishly I’ve been behaving.”

“Do you suppose that we could start over trying to be friends?”

Lily smiled, and Goldi realised that Lily was actually pretty when she smiled. “That would be lovely.” Lily caught sight of Goldi’s ring. “That’s a beautiful ring! Did Faramir give you that?”

“He did.” Goldi blinked. “How did you know…?”

“Rumours travel quickly, Goldilocks. A lot of folk from around here went to Buckland to see the King, and there’s been a lot of talk about an apparent engagement between the Thain’s son and the Mayor’s daughter.”

Goldi laughed. “And here I was hoping it would be a surprise. Well, yes, the rumours are true. Faramir and I are to marry, but not for a few years yet. You are being given an early invitation to the wedding. There are bound to be several handsome young hobbits there.”

Lily smiled again. “Actually, to be honest, I don’t care so much about that anymore. I will just be happy to be there on your special day, my friend.”

* * * * * *

A/N: I hope everyone enjoyed my little reconciliation between Goldi and Lily. And don’t worry; I have plans for Lily at the wedding. I wouldn’t leave the poor lass lonely for the rest of her life!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List