Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Watch the Clouds Go Sailing By  by Pervinca

 Watch the Clouds Go Sailing By

Chapter 18: Knight of Gondor

Legolas managed to keep the rest of the company occupied by discussing trivial matters, such as their children, and how things were fairing in Gondor and Ithilien. Unfortunately, Pippin eventually noticed that they were two heads short.

“Where are Faramir and Goldi?”

Legolas gritted his teeth. It was not a very elf-like thing to do, but it was something he had picked up from Gimli. “I believe they were talking over yonder. They had something to work out.”

“Oh, I see,” Gimli chuckled. “And I wonder what that ‘something’ was. Personally, I think they make a rather pretty pair…for hobbits.”

“You should watch what you say about that,” Peregrin warned. “Sam doesn’t much like it.” The Took was secretly disappointed that Sam had not punched Gimli for his comment. It would have been interesting to see the dwarf’s reaction.

“I said I was sorry for that,” Sam grumbled.

“What did you do?” Legolas asked, hoping to stall a search for the missing hobbits.

“It doesn’t matter,” Peregrin dismissed. “Sam simply has something against his daughter marrying my son.”

“Why is that, Master Samwise?” said Aragorn. “From what I have heard, the two have been friends since they were children. What better basis for marriage?”

“I…uh…” Sam stammered. “She’s too young! That’s the problem.”

“Sam, Diamond had just turned thirty-two when we married, and I seem to recall Elanor being only thirty when she married Fastred,” Peregrin argued.

“Yes, but Fastred was thirty-four, and you were thirty-seven,” Sam stubbornly replied. “Faramir’s not yet come of age neither.”

“They might wait,” Pippin piped, earning a glare from his father for choosing the wrong side to argue upon.

“Perhaps Sam thinks that Faramir is not good enough for Goldilocks,” Meriadoc offered. He had a daughter of his own, and though he did not think she was of courting age yet, he thought he partly understood Sam’s doubt.

“My Faramir? Not good enough?” Peregrin fumed.

“Merry meant not to insult you, Peregrin,” Aragorn said, quietly. “Sometimes a father needs reassurance that a man is the right match and will take care of his daughter. Just think of what the Lord Elrond put me through before I could claim Arwen’s hand.”

Peregrin turned to glare at Sam. “You aren’t planning on setting such a high target for my son, are you? Diamond would kill me if he was to be harmed in any way.”

Sam almost laughed at the idea of Faramir taking on the armies of Mordor and being crowned as King of Gondor. “No, no. I would never do that to him…”

“Sam, if I made him a knight of Minas Tirith, would you then recognise him as being worthy of Goldilocks’ love?” Aragorn suggested.

Legolas thought the reactions of the hobbits to be very amusing indeed. Peregrin’s mouth fell open and remained that way. Meriadoc mumbled something about speaking to Éomer about having Théodoc made a knight of the Mark. Young Pippin beamed with pride for his friend, and Sam could do nothing but stammer, “Well, I suppose I might.”

Aragorn turned to Peregrin. “I had been thinking of knighting him for some time. Arwen suggested it, and I agreed that it would be wise to have every Thain also be a knight of the King. Faramir has not yet come of age by your standards, I know, but he has passed that age at which his father performed his greatest deeds.”

“My lord,” said Peregrin, kneeling before his King, “nothing would honour me more than having my only son serve you as I have.”

“Then let us call for him and it shall be done.”

Legolas was about to argue and stall the search once more, but at that moment, Faramir and Goldilocks rejoined the group.

“Mayor Samwise,” Faramir awkwardly said. “There is something that I wish to speak with you about…”

“It must wait!” cried Peregrin. “We have something far more important that needs to be done.”

“But, Father…”

“Hush Faramir! Take out your sword, and place it on King Elessar’s lap.”

“I…” Faramir closed his mouth as he realised what was being asked of him. Well, Faramir, you wanted to prove to Sam that you’re good enough for Goldi. This might just be the way. Faramir unsheathed his sword from the Barrow Downs and laid it across Aragorn’s knees. He knelt before the King.

“Well, Master Faramir,” said Aragorn, “do you wish to offer your service to me?”

“I do sir.”

“Then you must speak the pledge.”

Faramir repeated after Aragorn: “Here do I swear fealty and service to Gondor, and to the Lord and King of the realm, to speak and to be silent, to come and to go, in need or plenty, in peace or war, in living or dying, from this hour henceforth, until my lord release me, or death take me, or the world end. So say I, Faramir son of Peregrin of the Shire of the Halflings.”

Aragorn smiled at Faramir. “And this do I hear, Aragorn son of Arathorn, High King of Gondor and Anor. And now, Faramir son of Peregrin – your keen wit and unsettled spirit have led you and your companions thus far. You have not brought them to any harm. You have shown more valour than many men twice your size, and so, I name you knight of Gondor. Arise.”

Faramir stood, though he felt as though his legs would collapse beneath him. He glanced at Goldi and saw that her eyes were glistening with unshed tears of joy and love. He smiled back at her.

“Now, Faramir, you said you wanted to speak to me,” said Sam. “If all’s said and done, then go ahead.”

“Well, actually, I wanted to speak to you privately,” Faramir explained.

“No need for that, lad! We’re all friends here. Anything you have to say can be said right here.”

Goldi made her way to Faramir’s side and held his hand in support. He appreciated it. Standing before Samwise Gamgee, Faramir took a deep breath. “Mayor Samwise, I wish to ask for your permission in marrying your daughter, Goldilocks. We have pledged our love, and she had agreed to become my wife – with your consent.”

“You’re both awfully young,” Sam choked out. He looked at his daughter. He could not remember ever seeing her so happy.

“We were going to wait until Faramir comes of age,” said Goldi. “That’s three years away, and I’ll be older than Ellie was by then.”

“Well…” Sam gave Faramir a stern glare. “You had best take good care of my Goldilocks, Master Took.”

Faramir broke into a huge grin. He hugged Sam tightly. “Oh, thank you, Sam, thank you!”

Sam had to smile back. “There now, lad. It’s all fine. I know you’ll be the perfect husband for my darling daughter.”

“I will! I promise I will.” Faramir turned back to Goldi and gathered her in his arms. “Can you believe it, Goldi? I’m a knight of Gondor, like my father! And your father as agreed to our marriage.”

Goldi grinned at him. “Uncle Peregrin, do you have any objections? I wish to marry your son.”

Peregrin hugged his son and his future daughter-in-law together. “Goldilocks, I have been waiting for this day since the day you were born.”

* * * * * *

Within a few days, the company had returned to Bree. Aragorn had decided to keep to his original plan and travel to the Brandywine Bridge. After all, his letters would have been delivered to the homes of his friends, and it was possible that their remaining families would come to greet him. He greatly wished to see the rest of Sam’s children, and he had specific orders from Éowyn and Éomer to bring back news of Merry’s son and daughter.

The announcement of a wedding was always a cause for celebration, even if the two betrothed were not actually from the immediate area. The Prancing Pony was a hive of excitement on the night that the travellers spent there. Ellouise Butterbur hugged both Faramir and Goldilocks in turn.

“Oh, I guessed it from the moment I first saw you both!” she cried. “Those two will marry one day, I said to myself.”

The six hobbits enjoyed the attention of the Inn patrons, but Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli once again kept to the shadows. They still wished to remain unrecognised.

Once the celebrating had died down, Ellouise came to the travellers and spoke to them softly. “I don’t know how long it’ll be before you come to visit us again, so would you mind seeing my uncle once more.”

“We always planned to,” Goldi replied with a curtsey.

Butterbur greeted them happily the moment he saw them. “Master Faramir and Miss Goldilocks! Allow me to congratulate you!”

They both blushed and uttered their thanks.

“I see you finally caught up with your young truants,” Butterbur said to Sam, Peregrin and Meriadoc.

“We did indeed, thanks to Strider the Ranger,” Peregrin laughed. “I don’t think any of us suspected Faramir’s reasoning for running off, but it’s all been made clear now. The King has even made Faramir a knight!”

“A knight? Well fancy that! Perhaps I should be congratulating him for that as well.”

Faramir bowed. “It is such a pity that you shan’t be able to attend the wedding, but a law is a law.”

“I wouldn’t want to break the King’s edict, especially if he won’t be breaking it himself.” Butterbur glanced at Aragorn.

“No, I shall not be entering the Shire. I was unable to attend Master Peregrin’s wedding because of my edict, so I shall not break it to attend his son’s.” Aragorn smiled at Legolas and Gimli. “But I have a feeling that there may be some guests at the wedding who are not Shire-folk.”

Goldi saw his look. “Legolas and Gimli? You mean the two of you will come? Oh, please say yes!”

Legolas smiled warmly at her. “How could we refuse after such a plea?”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List