Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Watch the Clouds Go Sailing By  by Pervinca

Watch the Clouds Go Sailing By

Chapter 17: Enough is Enough

Goldilocks shyly approached Legolas. The elf was tending to the ponies, speaking to them softly. His voice was like a song, and Goldi was enchanted. She had never met an elf (that she knew of), though her father had told her that Elanor looked much like one. Legolas was certainly more than she expected.

“Greetings, Glorfinniel,” he said, turning to face her. “How may I help you?”

“I-I’m sorry,” she stammered, feeling rather silly.

Legolas laughed. “What for, child?”

“For staring like I was. I’ve never met an elf before.”

“Ah, but your eldest sister has the grace of the elves.”

“She’s not as tall as you though.”

The elf laughed again. “No, well I suppose she is not.” He looked at her for a moment. “You have some of the elven grace yourself, Glorfinniel.”

“Glorfinniel?” Goldi repeated. She had just noticed that Legolas kept using that name for her.

“‘Tis your name in the Elvish tongue,” he answered. “Would you prefer for me to call you Goldi, for I would not mind.”

“Oh, no! I like ‘Glorfinniel’. It sounds very pretty.”

“And so it is a very fitting name for you.”

From a little distance away, Faramir was fuming. His Goldilocks was talking to Legolas and blushing! He had seen so many lasses with that same look on their face when he had spoken to them. After all the trouble he had gone to for her, Goldi was falling for the elf! He stormed away, making no attempt to be quiet.

“Faramir?” Goldi called, seeing his departing back. He ignored her.

“Young Faramir seems very upset about something,” Legolas commented.

Goldi sighed as she realised what it was. “He’s jealous.”

“Jealous? Of what?”

“Faramir brought me out on this adventure to tell me that he loves me. He hasn’t yet, but I overheard he and Pippin talking a night or two ago. When he saw the two of us talking, he jumped to conclusions…”

“He believed us to be courting?” Legolas asked, in disbelief. When she nodded, Legolas laughed. “Is it a trait of the Tooks to assume the worst?”

“I believe so.” Goldi laughed too, but then she frowned. “I’m so sick of waiting for him. Why can’t he just say it?”

“He probably wished for privacy. With your brother around it was hard enough, but now...!” Legolas smiled at her and his eye twinkled. Goldi was shocked. Her father had never told her about the mischievous streak of many elves. “Faramir is in the deeper part of the woods, yonder, throwing stones, I believe. If you wish, Glorfinniel, I shall keep the rest of our company occupied so that the two of you may have the solitude you desire.”

Goldi’s eyes brightened and she smiled back up at the elf. “Oh, Legolas! That would be simply perfect!” She hugged him. “Thank you, so very much.”

“My pleasure.”

Whilst Legolas moved in the direction of the camp, Goldi delved into the woods. She found Faramir not too far away from the camp, and he was indeed throwing stones. Goldi made a mental note not to say anything incriminating within the earshot of an elf.

“What are you doing, Faramir Took?” she demanded, observing the damage he had caused. Several trees in the immediate area had gashes on their sides, and many were missing branches.

“Managed to tear yourself from Legolas’ side, did you?” Faramir sneered. “Don’t even try to deny it! I’ve seen how you’ve been looking at him from the moment you met him.”

“And just why would you care anyway?” Goldi tried to turn the situation to her advantage.

It didn’t work. Faramir scowled. “I don’t!”

“I’m sure these trees would argue against that.”

“Why can’t you just leave me alone? Go back to Legolas!”

“Honestly, Faramir! I’ve just met him.”

“The King and the Lady Arwen fell in love the first time they met. And she gave up her immortality for him. Plenty of elf-maidens have done that. Who’s to say that Legolas won’t be the first elf to do it, if he loved a mortal?”

If Goldi had not been so angry with Faramir, she might have laughed at his wild tale and vivid imagination. He had only, for a moment, seen them talking, and already he believed that Legolas was willing to give up his immortality to be with Goldi.

“I cannot believe you, Faramir,” she cried. “Firstly, Legolas is not about to give up his immortality just for me. Secondly, you’re jumping to conclusions. And thirdly, I wouldn’t want to be with anyone but you.”

Faramir opened his mouth to hit her with a really nasty reply, but then her final words struck him. “You wouldn’t want to be with anyone but me?”

“Oh, Faramir, did you really think you had me fooled? You brought me out here to tell me that you loved me, and frankly, I’m sick of waiting for you to do so. I’ve decided to beat you to it. Faramir Took, I love you.”

Faramir was still too shocked to speak. He opened and closed his mouth several times, his eyes unblinking. Goldi simply had to laugh, her anger fading quickly as she did.

“Well, Master Took, you look as though you have something you want to say.”

“Goldi, I…” He broke into a grin. Instead of answering her, he ran over and kissed her. He picked her up and spun her around, as he had at Merry’s party. “Goldilocks Gamgee, I love you too. More than the Sun, more than the earth, more than life itself.”

Goldi giggled, unable to do anything more than that. His kiss seemed to have taken away her ability to speak. Of course, it was not the first time she had been kissed, but there was something different about it. She laughed again when she realised that her actual first kiss had been with Faramir too. They had only been around ten years old. Merry and Pippin had dared them to kiss. Both Goldi and Faramir had spent an hour afterwards scrubbing their mouths.

“What’s funny?” Faramir asked, setting her on the ground, but not letting her go.

“Just remembering our first kiss,” she replied. When he looked confused, she explained: “When my parents went to Gondor with Ellie.”

Faramir laughed. “Ah, yes! I believe I scrubbed my mouth out for three days after. That was certainly fun.”

“Well, was the second kiss any better?”

“I’m not sure. I think I might have to try again and make sure.” He tilted her face up towards his (he stood a head taller than her) and placed his lips against hers again. He pulled away after a moment and smiled. “Definitely better. Though I hope you won’t mind me trying again every so often, just to make sure.” He brushed a stray curl from her face, then looked around. “I’m surprised that no one has come looking for us yet.”

“Legolas is keeping them occupied, so that we could be alone,” Goldi answered

“Miss Gamgee! And I though I was the scheming one.” He smiled, sheepishly. “I suppose that was what you were talking to him about.”

“More or less.”

“Forgive me?”

“Of course!”

Faramir grinned, and leant in close to her ear. “Marry me?”

For the second time in one day, Faramir struck Goldi speechless. Though she could not deny wanting to hear those words, it shocked her for him to actually say them. “Y-yes…but I’ve not yet come of age. And neither have you.”

“My mother hadn’t when she wed.”

“But your father had.”

“I suppose.” Faramir thought for a moment. “It might be better if we wait, at least until I come of age – that’s only three years away. That way, we can plan the most wonderful wedding!” He slipped a ring onto her finger. It was golden, encrusted with sapphires.

“What’s this?”

“A betrothal gift, of course! Father said that when he proposed to Mother, he had a diamond necklace made for her by the dwarves. Afraid I only found this on the Barrow Downs.”

“Oh, Faramir, I don’t care where it came from, as long as you gave it to me!” She threw her arms around his neck. “I suppose it’s official now. I am to be Mrs. Faramir Took.” Goldi suddenly became serious. “Faramir, what are we going to tell our families?”

“That we’re engaged.”

“Yes…but…” Goldi looked at her feet. “Some of your family might not approve of me. After all, you are the future Thain…”

“And you are the Mayor’s daughter! Goldilocks, even if your father was still ‘just a gardener’ – as I believe you concern is – I would not care. I would give up everything I am to be with you.”

A tear rolled down her cheek. “You would?”

“Of course! My Aunt Pearl – Dad’s eldest sister – she married a lawyer. Some of the family did not think this at all proper – even though he was a lawyer, and they make good money – but she didn’t care. And neither did her parents. All they cared about was that Auntie Pearl and Uncle Orli were in love. They’re still together today. You are going to be Goldilocks Took, and if anyone has a problem with that, I shall have them banished from the Shire!”

Goldi laughed. “There would not be any need for that.”

Faramir kissed her hand. “I just thought of something worrying. You’ve been speaking about my family not approving of you, but what if yours does not approve of me?”

“My father adores you, Faramir! Not to mention my mother. And Merry and Pippin, and…”

He silenced her with a kiss. “I know, love, but I think I should speak with your father. I need to convince him that I am good enough to marry his daughter.”

* * * * * * *

A/N: They’re finally together! It certainly took them long enough. But don’t worry; there are still a few more issues that our hobbit lovebirds need to face before the end. Samwise Gamgee being the first of those...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List