Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Singing Cave  by frodo16424

Much of the evening was spent in making arrangements for Elrond and Glorfindel to turn over the running of Imladris to Erestor.

“We will be back within a fortnight,” Elrond told his advisor. “I would leave Glorfindel here but for knowing he is to be with us.”

“Do not worry, I will run Imladris while you are away. I see no reason to worry,” Erestor replied. “When do you depart?”

Elrond laughed. “Do you wish to know the scheduled time or the actual departure? As you are well aware, there is usually a slight..delay before we actually leave.”

The next morning, Elrond was awoken by a sense he was not alone. He sat up to see Elladan, Elrohir, Legolas, and Estel standing by his bed. All four were dressed for traveling. Elrond shook his head. “I am surprised to see all of you dressed and ready. Is it time to leave already?”

Estel and Legolas started to laugh. “Nay, we have time before we leave. We merely wanted to see what it was like from your point of view,” chortled Legolas. “It is you who are usually kept waiting while we are still abed.”

Elrond smiled and told them, “Please go and eat breakfast while I bathe and change. I will be down shortly.”

Four voices replied “Aye, Ada.”

Glorfindel entered as the four friends were leaving. “Is your Ada awake?”

Before they could answer, Elrond called out: “Aye, I am awake. Enter, mellon nin.”

“Have you given any consideration to Estel’s message for us?” asked Glorfindel. “I do not know anyone else who would be privy to that particular incident.”

“I will not come to any conclusion until we have seen it for ourselves. However, my heart will not deny the hope it is, indeed, him. You realize, of course that those four demons will attempt to get us to tell the tale.”

Glorfindel shuddered. “I tremble to think of what would happen if they ever found what you did.”

I did!?! If I remember correctly, a certain golden-haired elf was with me,” sputtered Elrond.
I was only there so you would not be injured should things went awry,” sniffed Glorfindel.

Both elves started to laugh, then sobered. Both knew that this would not be a simple journey to see a cave; rather, it was to be a journey of discovery. Neither knew what the journey would cost them nor how far they would go.

As Glorfindel exited the room, Elrond called out “Please ask the servers to save me some blackberry tarts, if they have not been consumed by my sons.”

“Of course, Hir nin,” said Glorfindel with a slight smile. “I will see you in the dining hall.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List