Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Singing Cave  by frodo16424

“Lo, Lords and Princes. Hear now my words as I tell my tale. A tale you will hear with both ears and heart.” Estel spoke the traditional words of a master storyteller. His posture was such that the elves had to look slightly up at him. He had his legs tucked under his robes. His voice was slightly softer and lower than normal. Legolas noticed that, as his friend spoke, the others paid rapt attention.

Elrond had a slight smile, but the twins gave their full attention to their brother. Glorfindel also sat and listened, paying close attention to Estel’s words.

“A living curtain of green and white cascades down the mountainside, hiding a secret from the denizens of the forest. Behind, a doorway to the unknown. Draw the curtain aside. Darkness hides the entrance. Suddenly, light chases the darkness. Torches are lit, spilling their fiery light onto a silver white floor of the finest sand. No tracks mar the floor. Rainbows chase one another across the walls of the clearest crystal.

“Listen. Hear the faint sound of voices raised in song.

“Walk through the hall. Notice the warmth, the feeling of peace as you walk.

“Look! An antechamber! The walls blaze with the glory of the light from the torch. The ceiling is a thousand points of light.

“There! Another chamber. There is a barrier, cool to the touch, but impenetrable.

“A voice is heard. A feeling of hands being placed in benediction, then the message. Elladan and Elrohir Elrondion, Diola lle for bringing my son to Rivendell. To Elrond of Rivendell, my utmost gratitude for giving my son the love of a father and a place of refuge.

Suddenly, a new presence is noticed. A presence that is forceful, yet gentle and loving. As well as a feeling of great power, and a message for Elrond of Imladris and Glorfindel of Gondolin. It is merely a word, thus: rúdh.”

As Estel spoke, he noticed both Elrond and Glorfindel first paled, then reddened. Neither spoke, nor did they look at each other.

Each of the four sensed there was a story they would probably never hear, but all silently vowed to do their best to try and pry it from the elder elves.

Elrond shook himself slightly, then turned to Estel. “Diola lle, ion nin. You have given me words that I will have to ponder. However, I feel we must investigate the cave further. There are many things beyond our ken yet to be discovered. Glorfindel, would you be willing to come with us?”

Glorfindel said thoughtfully, “Aye, I feel as you do. There is something…otherworldly about all I have heard.”

The twins spoke up. “Do not think you are going without an escort,” said Elladan.

Elrohir concurred. “We are going with you.”

Elrond smiled, and merely nodded his head.

Rúdh - bald





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List