Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Singing Cave  by frodo16424

Elrond was pleasantly surprised, as everyone was ready to depart on time. He requested that Legolas and Estel lead the way. He and Glorfindel were behind them, with Elladan and Elrohir bringing up the rear.

The morning was warm, but overcast. As they journeyed, Estel spoke of his future, and what he hoped to accomplish, for Elrond had told him of his lineage.

It was early afternoon as they approached the small glen where Legolas and Estel had stopped previously. The same peace was there, and everyone felt it.

“I sense the peace of the ages here,” said Elrond. “It has always been so, with no foul creature disturbing the peace.” His eyes were slightly unfocused as he spoke. Glorfindel watched as Elrond walked around the glen.

A fire was lit, dinner was cooked and eaten, and bedrolls were set about. As Idril showed her face, all slept, with no worry as to their safety.

After breakfast, they broke camp and continued. At noon, they reached the cave.

The curtain of white flowers and green leaves were just as Estel and Legolas had left them. Neither Elrond nor Glorfindel was able to identify the vine.

“You may let the horses graze. They will not wander, but will stay near.” As Estel spoke, he dismounted. The other five followed.

Torches were lit, and they entered the cave. The fine white sand still covered the floor, with the only footprints being those of Estel and Legolas.

Elrond stooped to examine it. He did not speak, but let the sand run through his fingers. He stood lost in memory, remembering a beach of fine white sand, watching as ships with sails of white dipped below the horizon.

“Elrond. Elrond! Is something amiss?” came the voice of Glorfindel, filled with worry.

Elrond shook himself mentally and returned to the present. Why was the memory of Elros’ sailing so clear? He dusted his hands on his tunic, and started forward. “Nay, mellon nin, only an old memory,” he replied.

Elladan turned to Legolas and asked, “Where is the singing you heard? I have heard not a sound yet.”

Suddenly, the chorus of voices began. “It is easier to hear if you do not pay attention,” said Legolas.

As they passed through the halls, the singing became clearer. Suddenly Glorfindel stopped, listening to the tune. His eyes filled with tears, which began to fall.

Elrond clasped the shoulder of his seneschal and friend. “What troubles you, mellon nin?” he asked.

Glorfindel swallowed, then spoke. “I recognize the tune. It was one sang to me by my parents whenever I was troubled by dreams. It has never been heard since the destruction of Gondolin. Now, to hear it…” his voice trailed off.

“Come. Let us explore further. Is the chamber near?” Elrond turned to Estel.

“Aye, just a few more steps, Ada.” With that, they went ahead.

Elrond and Glorfindel stopped as they entered the first chamber. The twins almost ran into their father, as they were craning their necks trying to see the roof.

Elrond walked over to the entrance to the second chamber. He could see the barrier. As he extended his hands to touch it, Vilya suddenly glowed with a blue gleam that showered the walls of the chamber with tiny flashes of light. There was a sound as chimes tinkling in the wind, and the barrier dissolved, granting them entrance to what was beyond.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List