Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Fight the Dusk, Spite the Dawn  by Moonlighter

~*~

Some weeks later, Celeborn was sought. After contradicting directions from several well-meaning Elves amid two hours of fruitless searching, Elrond found Celeborn in a remote locale: a small barn used by wardens posted on the outskirts of the valley.

In shadow Celeborn sat upon the floor beside a cock of freshly cut hay, sharpening a scythe that glittered under a stray beam of sunlight. Coming upon this scene, Elrond calmly marked the nearest exits in relation to where his horse waited outside. Then with a respectful bow he said smiling, "Celeborn, I find you at last, well met. May we talk, or am I..." unwelcome, he thought, but finished, "interrupting?"

Celeborn had not looked up, but did so now with a dispassionate gaze that shone in the dimness. "No, we may talk. Is this matter official, or..." there was no reason for his pause, "personal?"

"Perhaps both." Elrond carefully did not recoil as Celeborn unfolded his long legs and stood. The Sinda was very tall, looming above the other by a hand’s length; but Elrond was of mightier build, having the blood of Noldor and Men in his veins. Long they faced, two hearts pondering the guardedness of the other.

First to speak again was Elrond, "I wish to apologize to you, foremost."

"Indeed." Celeborn replaced the scythe upon a hook on the wall, and did not turn back.

"My reasons for silence remain my own, but I intended no one to be wounded thereby. Had Celebrian first come to me upon learning of my heart, I would have next approached you myself out of respect and correctness."

"Either I believe you would have or I do not, for that cannot now be known with certainty."

With mild temper the words were spoken, yet the meaning was not kind. Straightening, Elrond said firmly, "In friendship and duty I have never once lied to you. But look into my eyes if you doubt that." The challenge was accepted, and Celeborn whirled. Though his next breath caught, Elrond did not flinch, knowing -as Celeborn perceived- that his statement was true.

But Celeborn saw much else, and he said, "Lies might also be indirect; for instance, keeping silent with intent to deceive."

"Then I am a constant liar who must remain so, and well should you know why unless you forget to whom you speak."

With a frown Celeborn looked away and down, then away again from the ring Elrond wore. After careful thought he said, "Apology accepted. But now I wish to offer one of my own. I know the burden upon you is great, and if the conditions of one thing become entangled with..." he made a motion with his finger, "that of another, it is not my place to question the solution, even if it is a degree of secrecy." He sighed. "You understand that I had not made any such connection before, though in hindsight it seems obvious."

"That is neither here nor there." With those forgiving words Elrond extended his hand, but not the one Celeborn wished to avoid. "Apology accepted."

They clasped arms in a gesture of amity. Of the pair Elrond was most relieved, and Celeborn now reluctant to carry on. Looking into the Half-elf’s eyes, clearly brighter and less troubled than before, Celeborn found that his difficulty only increased. He forced out some words, "Well, we come now to the other."

"Oh, yes." Blinking Elrond rearranged himself, appearing to Celeborn like a boy that stands as a man and speaks in a false voice, but is a lad nonetheless. "I have decided... that is: it is my wish that, nay I would humbly request—"

"Elrond... cease and relax." A smile came easily for Celeborn, if his words did not. "I know what you would say, and I know you are decent. Consider the request well-spoken and equally well-received." He took a breath even as Elrond released the one he held. "As you know, Galadriel and I have already judged that this courtship will be allowed. Though as I must explain to you now, there are conditions."

Some consolation was to be had in Celeborn’s face, slightly contorted with sympathy, like a kind-hearted surgeon poised to do some painful but necessary deed. Yet Elrond was a healer himself, and had endured enough injuries of his own: in pain and pity he was experienced, at least. Forewarning also he had, for Galadriel had hinted at restrictions previously.

Celebrian is worth boundaries and more, he told himself, and met Celeborn’s eyes, and did not let go. "Do tell."

~*~

"The celebration was beautiful, wondrous!" Celebrian fairly danced to her mother’s side, smiling wryly. "To think you feared it would be dull. And father! How could he bear to miss this?"

"With ease." Galadriel joined in her daughter’s smile, and watched as Celebrian shimmied through their escort, stopping beside Elrond at its front – every mortal eye in the market of Annuminas followed her journey.

"This was more of what I envisioned a king’s wedding to be like," she said. "Elrond, have you witnessed any weddings? Should royalty among Men wed, how would the celebration compare to this crowning? Verily today it seemed as grand an occasion as it could be."

Galadriel arrived behind them just as Elrond had a chance to reply. "Indeed this coronation symbolizes marriage of a sort: that of Valandil the new King to Arnor his Kingdom. But I have also seen weddings among Men, and they vary as any ceremony may in splendor – that is, as a matter of demonstration. Just as with Elves, it is not unheard of that two humans might wed in privacy and quiet."

"Oh?" Celebrian hooked her arm around Elrond’s, as delighted to embrace new knowledge as to embrace her teacher, and doubly pleased to do both. "And would you have an intimate ceremony for yourself, loremaster, should ever you suffer to be wed?"

Galadriel could not help but notice how Elrond tended to tense when Celebrian teased. Since she was inclined to jest, he was seldom otherwise. "I know not," he said. "What of you, my lady?"

Celebrian did not abandon her flirtatiousness to answer, "Ah, I am my mother’s daughter at that, I deem. So long as I may have the one I desire, my heart is content without public ado."

Even from behind, Elrond’s discomfort was manifest. Shoppers and merchants near and far were dazzled by Galadriel’s smile, and that of her daughter – though the Lord of Rivendell was not remembered for his cheer.

They spent the afternoon exploring the city of Annuminas and the evening in the company of the new King of Arnor. Beside Valandil they viewed artwork while minstrels hailed beauty and sorrow, their voices echoing through the halls like water over stone. Later they charmed dignitaries over an elegant meal, and their host could not be more pleased to have High Elves at his table – and on his account. At last when the night was late they departed for the quarters prepared for them.

As they walked, Celebrian again found her place at Elrond’s side. "Is it strange for you to think that these men, the Numenoreans, are your kin from afar?"

"Nay, no more so now than ever."

"Will you pose for Elros’ portrait ere we depart, as Valandil asked?" She shook her head. "Now that at least must seem to you strange."

Eyes low, Elrond paused. He gestured to his side even as Galadriel’s maids crossed him to pass through the doorway. "Your room, my lady," he said.

Galadriel remained after all others had entered, interrupting her daughter’s attempt to share a private moment with Elrond in the hall. "Celebrian, since you have praised this day’s events so highly, I hope you will give your thanks to Master Elrond for inviting us."

Their eyes met, and Celebrian’s gaze was dark with annoyance. "Yes, mother, I would like to." Galadriel meant presently. Celebrian, however, meant intimately. Both thought themselves entitled to their wishes, neither willing to compromise.

Between this contest of wills Elrond inserted, "Truly Valandil deserves all thanks, for it was his invitation that I extended to others, and his hospitality we partake of."

He was unheard, or ignored. "Mother, please? Are you not weary?" Celebrian made subtle gestures towards the chamber.

"My excitement this day was less than your own," Galadriel replied kindly. "Take yourself inside now, and I will have a few words with Elrond ere I retire."

With a sigh Celebrian whirled, in her irritation neglecting to say aught to Elrond since she could not say all that she wished.

When the door closed, Galadriel said approvingly, "You have been courteous and decent in this courtship."

Elrond half-bowed in thanks, though in truth his graciousness was waning. "I hope you had no reason to expect less of me."

If she did, she was too diplomatic to say so. "Nevertheless, I am pleased. So too, I think, is Celebrian. And how do you fare amid this arrangement?"

If he was affronted even his eyes would not tell. "Indeed fine. Propriety, you could say, comes naturally to me." He did not add that his manners would not change in the absence of watchful eyes constantly upon him.

Perceiving more than his words, she smiled. "That is good to know."

Their exchange continued but briefly, as ever full of forced politeness and tired discretion. When Galadriel entered her quarters after bidding Elrond a good night, she found Celebrian waiting, and looking decidedly miffed. "Must we be supervised so? You make him behave…" a flourish of her hands did not alter her articulation, "all strangely."

Galadriel's reply was patient, "My daughter, he is neither Elf nor Man, and could not be more mingled in blood unless there were a Dwarf in his ancestry. What do you imagine would be normal, and would we recognize it if we saw it?"

Celebrian was inclined to argue. Elrond, she insisted, could not possibly feel at ease under such scrutiny, whether his uneasiness was evident or not. Elrond, Galadriel countered, ought to have nothing to hide, thus observation should make no difference.

In a huff Celebrian retired to bed, unwilling to contend further with her mother. But she said in parting, "Without argument I have obeyed the conditions laid upon our courtship by father and yourself. It is difficult enough finding time to spend with Elrond, considering his many obligations, and even at his most comfortable he is still cautious. I pray you not render my efforts in vain by making him a stranger in my company whenever you are near."

After Celebrian had left, her words and what she left unsaid was long pondered. Galadriel was accustomed to being well-informed of the people and things around her, and Elrond was mysterious by his very nature. This, she decided, was not the most compatible match. And there was little she could think to do about it.

By the end of the First Age, she had had no love for Maglor his foster parent, nor for any follower of Maedhros. The sad tale of Elrond’s beginnings did not explain his participation in the Great War that followed; for what orphan of war leaves its fosterage to be immersed in war anew? It was over a century into the Second Age when he first appeared in Harlindon, and of his journeying across Middle-earth prior to that she had heard no tales told. Yet Gil-galad had trusted him – well did Galadriel know to precisely what extent.

Still, while the Valar had appointed Elros as King of Numenor, what besides the grace of the Firstborn had Elrond been granted, and why not more? What she knew seemed trivial compared to the significance of the unknown.

Into the night Galadriel sat awake beside an open window, unaware that in the next room Elrond did the same.

~*~

When the moment was right, she fled unseen into the wood. Soon passing an armed Elf of the escort, she pressed a finger against her lips, demanding his silence and cooperation. By his bewildered expression she knew neither would be assured for long, but ran on, heedless of the sloping ground under a blanket of autumn leaves. Swiftly she reached the river and followed its current without slowing, a flash of silver hair amid the trees and the sparkling stream.

Within moments she came upon him, kneeling alone beside the water. Full of pride, her heart soared with the achievement of her long effort: to seize a moment of privacy with this very one. Closing the final distance between them, she said without lack of breath, "Bright morrow to you, Master Elrond."

Without looking over his shoulder he said, "Be wary, my lady, for not a moment ago I heard an oliphaunt traipsing nearby."

Her smile faded, only to be replaced by laughter. "If you would know, I cared for haste, not stealth." Beside Elrond was a rock, and Celebrian leapt to perch herself upon it. "Lo and behold!" Once his attention was had she looked about as if startled, then whispered to confide, "No one else is nigh. Indeed, I dare say we are alone."

Gravely he replied, "Since it has not happened before, I can only conclude that it is a coincidence of the most innocent kind." But his eyes were not innocent as he asked, "Shall I return you to your keepers?"

Celebrian tipped her nose upwards. "I believe oliphaunts should not have keepers, but be free to traipse about as they please." Elrond smiled, saying nothing. She drank in the sight of his mirth, forsaking the stone to sit closer to him in the sandy loam. As she settled down, she noticed that his hands were empty, and no canteen was near. "I had expected to find you collecting water. Well, I was partially right, for you are here, at least."

As if her thoughts had also been voiced he turned his hands palm-up, then replaced them upon his knees. "I came only to hear the river."

Celebrian bent forward, listening. After a moment she sat back. "Do you think of the Sea?"

"Nay," his look was perplexed, as though he could not fathom the similarity. "This water runs from the Mountains."

She laughed. "First falling from the sky as snow, yes. But does the churning sound not remind you?" He only shrugged, and she nodded. "I do not have the Sea-longing awoken in me either. Mother says I am too young, but father is ancient and still loves best the forests. He does not miss Harlindon near the sea, and neither do I though it be the place of my birth. Nor do we miss Edhellond greatly, he and I, though mother wishes to return there soon. Do you miss Lindon where you dwelled?"

Frowning, Elrond said, "That is not a question with one simple answer." The first thought to enter his mind upon mention of Lindon was his brother. At the Gray Havens they had been reunited after separation during the Great Battle – the same place Elrond had stood alone upon learning that his brother was dead. His second thought was of Gil-galad, the fallen king of a faded realm, another Age. Silently Celebrian folded her hand over his, and it seemed that the words came easier, and fewer were necessary. "I miss... certain times."

"When the world was at peace," she reflected.

"And people."

"Before so many passed into the West... or beyond." Thinking of the former kings, she bowed her head with respect, lifting it in time with Elrond. Their eyes met exactly, even as their thoughts had been matched. Being bold did not deter Celebrian from moving forward. But being wise deterred Elrond from reciprocating her advance.

Undaunted in spirit she returned to her own space, saying lightly, "Do you remember the merchant wagons we passed yestereve?" At his nod she continued, "I was amazed that they traveled with so many children."

Glad for the change, Elrond recited what knowledge he had on the subject with ease. "From what else I know of traveling merchants, it is a hard life to lead. They must take their family upon the road or scarcely see their family at all. Dwarf-merchants as far south as the Ered Luin will travel to Annuminas, and Men from the southern coast unafraid to journey by boat and horse. Doubtless more will come from even further, eventually."

Celebrian blinked. "Yes, but... there were just so many children!"

Elrond laughed. "There were indeed."

Seeing joy light his face, Celebrian ventured, "Do you foresee children of your own?" By the shape of his mouth, she knew the answer would be in jest.

"Oh, verily. Eighteen will suffice, I deem. And you?"

Appalled, she waved his figure away. "Eleven is a better number; besides, I need no more than that, and care to name even fewer." They exchanged crooked grins. She thought Elrond would appreciate the humor in her next thought, for the mortal merchants sojourned with less protection than Elves without riches. "There was one youth among them unafraid of us Elves, you know, who wanted to know why we traveled with an army of our very own."

After a moment of silence, Elrond said, "He should have asked me." Celebrian found his eyes intense upon her. Ensnared in that gaze she was powerless even to incline towards his touch as he reached out to her, brushing only her cheek. "I could have explained to him that while silver and grain has great worth, a silver queen is utterly invaluable, greater even than the concept of price."

Now Celebrian was determined, and anticipating Elrond’s elusive tendencies she devised a plan without flaw. Sweetly she said, "Such kind words do warm my heart, and equally am I warmed by your soft touch. Might I have a kiss for this memory as well? I trust you to be gentle, and then truly I would feel as a queen."

Elrond sat straighter, eyes wide. "No," he hissed, but not in answer.

Before Celebrian could question or indeed even become offended she heard someone approaching. And she sighed, knowing that her chance was over, and success was fleeting at its end.

"Dangerous is a world still trembling with the footsteps of war, and none should wander alone without arms or escort," said an Elf as though the words were not of his own phrasing. Coming upon the two he was sent to find, he remembered his own courtship, and sighed. "Or so asserts the wisdom of lady Galadriel, and I would not presume to gainsay her." Here he gave an advising glance to Celebrian.

"In one of her moods, is my beloved mother?"

The guard extended a hand to help her stand. "I am certain that I know not what you mean, my lady."

Celebrian was certain he did, but had no mind for a confrontation, with her mother or anyone. For it was a genuine smile that Elrond gave her in parting that morning by the river, and she did not forget it.

~*~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List