Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Fight the Dusk, Spite the Dawn  by Moonlighter

Disclaimer: Copyright of Tolkien.

~*~

"He is stern," said Galadriel. At her daughter’s unvoiced reaction she shrugged, a small and eloquent gesture. "I merely question if you would know happiness in close company with one so quiet and grave. It does not seem to suit you."

Looking up from the brim of her cup, Celebrian wondered if her mother understood the irony in her own statement; yet her solemn visage betrayed no humor, as usual. She shrugged in turn, smiling. "He is not so terrible when he is in close company with me."

Galadriel partook of her tea, and did not speak for several minutes. Outside of the sitting room was a plethora of duties she could be tending to. Beyond the window Elves were singing happily at work, among them Celeborn. She was neither glad for this reprieve nor eager for it to end. "I would have you think long upon this, ere any decision is made."

"Love is not a decision, and love we already have. But very well." Celebrian sat back, comfortable. "We have forever, as well."

It did not appear that Galadriel heard aught but the agreement. "I would also have you speak with your father, after I do. And soon he and I will speak with Elrond."

"Yes, very well." Celebrian sat forward, miffed. "We love each other, you know."

As if the question had been long planned, Galadriel asked, "And, besides that, what can you tell me of him?"

Celebrian retreated to the solace of her own tea before replying, "No more than you know already, I suppose."

"I know little of this matter, my daughter."

~*~

"Elrond?" Celeborn asked laughing. "Halfelven?"

Galadriel was unsmiling. "Is there another?"

The answer was delayed as he hefted a sapling from a cart, the roots wrapped snugly in burlap. "I thought there must be, else the nature of your question mystifies me; for of course I know Elrond, and so do you."

"Yet I seek your insight, husband." Unhappily she added, "My own has failed me."

Cautious, Celeborn lowered the plantlet to a prepared hole in the ground, murmuring endearments as though each leaf were a lover’s ear. Swiping dirt from calloused hands he turned to his wife. "What is the hour, I wonder." Gazing skyward he squinted under the afternoon sun, and sighed into the heavy silence. "I would have a drink first, if we are to talk." Together they walked through the field, stopping beside a well. Celeborn spoke of other things along the way.

"You remember the wall of Whitethorn I had planned, to barricade the lower lands," Galadriel nodded, disinterested. "That will not do after all, according to the vote. Ah, I suppose ‘tis petty of me, that I should mind at all. But Erestor, suggesting that this pasture may yet be built upon… I did not believe Elrond would agree with that." He muttered, "Built of weeds, perhaps."

Galadriel did not in truth care whether the field was left exposed or blocked by a gate of branch and thorn – least of all since they would not be dwelling here but temporarily. More intriguing to her was the vote itself, regardless of its outcome. But she said, "I should think the obvious solution is to close a lesser portion of the plain. Thus none would worry of the need to expand with scare space in which to occupy."

"Yes," Celeborn sounded annoyed, "and I proposed as much. Yet Elrond would not suffer any part of the valley to be segregated from another. His was the final word on the matter ere it was put to a vote, and the results did not depose him."

Galadriel would not say that she perceived the wisdom of the final decision, nor that none’s word was final in the event of a vote. Instead she reminded her husband of the water he supposedly required in order to speak. When he stalled again her irritation only grew.

"I am wilting under this sun," he said. "Let us find a quiet place within shade." Galadriel insisted that they halt beside the first wall of the first building they approached; of this his disappointment was made obvious. "Oh, but this is—"

"It is as cool as any other shaded place," she interrupted, and neither his sigh nor his pout swayed her.

He sat down against the wall, making the most out of this unwelcome distraction. "What would you have of me then?"

She gazed out at the work being done in the field below, where not two decades previously an army of Men and Elves had camped, ready for war. It might seem that her present concerns paled in comparison, but it was not so. For each great tree of the future begins as a seemingly insignificant acorn. "Did you know that Elrond held one in especial close to his heart?"

This he considered. "I had an inkling. Yet for all that we learned of each other in our years of acquaintance, his heart concerning such matters was ever closed to me." He was reminded of his first meeting with the Half-elf in the early Second Age, when Celeborn presided in Harlindon under the High King. Unlooked for Elrond had arrived from the south, weary after long wanderings afar. Celeborn had taken an immediate liking to him, as it also happened with Gil-galad in Forlindon, where Elrond after dwelt, eventually as the king’s herald. But being fast friends had not made them close friends in many ways; a riddle Celeborn ever rued, and never solved.

He spoke again, "I owed it to the uncertainty of the future that he waited, as is often the way of such things in troubled times." Here his voice lowered, "Until we returned from Mordor; then I wondered. For though his relief was great, there was less of the joy I would expect from one who returns after war to his beloved. Now I think that there was never a special one, or else that she cannot be had in this world." With or without accord, his eyes turned to the West. "Many have gone away over sea, more every day."

Galadriel was patient as he spoke. "Forgive me, dear one. I should have asked: did you know that the one held in especial close to Elrond’s heart was our daughter?"

~*~

"I would speak with thee, Peredhel."

Elrond turned, met with Celeborn’s grim countenance. He matched it. "I will hear no more of Dwarves this day."

Now Celeborn was doubly bothered. "What of the Dwarves?"

The reply was tired, as one spoken many times already; "All benefits, options, compromises, and arrangements shall be resolved at court—ah, in council, and I will abide no gossiping in the meantime, least of all when the subjects of speculation are guests in this house. That Erestor suspects Nair’s proposal shall be more prosperous for his people than ours is an opinion based little upon fact, and one that has no place in politics regardless."

"Ah, Nair – ever the bargainer, that Dwarf." Celeborn shifted unknowingly in mood and stance. "Long ago this I learned, and it has not changed: they think because Elves live the longer that we deserve the lesser compensation, for we have eternity in which to garner our wealth as they see it." He held up a hand, silencing the other. "I know what you would say, Elrond! And I also have no desire to sunder ties with Durin’s folk who fought against Sauron; but neither do I desire to be walked upon by iron-clad feet. Their interest now in trading serves one purpose: they require sustenance according to their plans of long isolation. We must be careful to complete our dealings with finality, lest we wait an Age for reimbursement, ‘til they emerge hungry and eager to treat once again."

Elrond had begun collecting parchments from a table. "I gather Erestor has been more vociferous than I anticipated, and with better success. So much for pithy warnings then – next time I shall fain gag him."

"Erestor? No, no, we have not spoken." Remembering the true purpose of his visit, he sighed. "Elrond, never mind my words. I did not come to speak of the Dwarves with you."

"What then? And forgive my bluntness, but I am weary."

Having labored all day with a shovel and pickax, Celeborn was not moved to pity a loremaster’s eyestrain. "Celebrian."

Now Elrond retrieved the parchments from the floor where they were dropped. He was silent as he straightened, and he did not meet Celeborn’s eyes. "Ah."

"How is it that I called you friend through the last Age, Elrond, and yet I have learned only recently that you esteem my own daughter as the desire of your heart?"

Elrond thought better of offering to speak upon the shortcomings of Dwarves instead. He sat down, his heart settling heavy within him. "Why have you come to me with this now, ten years after his death?"

If Celeborn noticed Elrond’s distress, he gave no indication. "I come to you as the revelation came to me: just today, and without comfort." Seeing the other flinch, he said softer, "But of Gil-galad’s involvement I know naught."

Elrond looked up, eyes full of turmoil. "If Gil-galad did not speak of this to you, then verily you heard my own thoughts, for I confided in no other."

~*~

"You embarrassed me."

"You embarrassed yourself. Did I not warn you to be discreet?"

Celeborn waved a hand dismissively. "You know I prefer not to duel friends with fair words, and candor suits me best. But if you wished to advise me, why did you not say instead that Elrond did not know that Celebrian knew?"

"Because I did not know that Elrond did not know that Celebrian knew. Yours was not the only misunderstanding in this case." Galadriel gazed out of the window, brooding upon the absurdity of it all. But a thought occurred to her, and she said softer, "Yet I do not rue the mistake. Clearly Celebrian is insightful, and perceiving Elrond’s heart -even finding that she shared his feelings- was it not her mother whom she first approached? That is a valuable lesson."

The reply Celeborn prepared fell silent when Celebrian entered the chamber. "My book," she said quietly, "please excuse me." With the recovered volume in hand she left, quite slower than necessary.

When she no longer lingered in the hallway without, Galadriel said, "What is done is done. Let us look forward."

"How far, and from whose perspective? Would you have me place her hand in his?" As if to bar the possibility, Celeborn made two fists.

His wife was calm. "We have informed Elrond of Celebrian’s mutual affections—"

"Inadvertently."

"Yes. And now they have their own choices to make. Until then our role in this stage has nearly been played in full." Yet almost is not all, and Galadriel’s mind worked busily upon the rest.

Pacing, Celeborn considered other issues. "The time for this to unfold is not ideal. Dwarves are here, negotiating trade; I shall need to watch like a nervous parent lest they sell Elrond the Bridge of Khazad-dum, I fear. You know Thranduil wants little to do with aught beyond his own forest, bless him; he holds the Gray Mountains in profitable ransom thereby, and I am an Orc if Nair knows it not. Alas that I am to travel to Arnor within the year for Valandil’s crowning—"

"Peace, husband, you fret needlessly. Cirdan will treat with the Dwarves of Ered Luin, Thranduil with those of the Gray Mountains, and us with Durin’s folk – remember also that Amroth will contribute on our behalf if need be. This is no hardship on the Elves, and should not concern you. Nair is an honorable delegate among his kin, who do not forget the long friendship twixt our folk; no advantage will be taken of our detachment with the northern assets. Of Valandil’s crowing, I heard last that Elrond changed his mind, and would attend himself."

Celeborn was not consoled. "But more is the trouble; with Thranduil’s attention turned inward, Elrond may not have the strength to watch the roads and deal with the north. Vigilance west of the Misty Mountains will fall heavily upon him once we are gone, as ‘tis all Cirdan’s folk can do to build ships as quickly as they are taken." He massaged his temples, grimacing.

"Always after war so much is to be done, yet so few remain to do it. I forebode we shall not return to our own land as soon as we—" he glanced to the doorway, where his daughter now stood in the fading light of day. She made no excuse for her presence this time, save that whenever Elrond’s name was spoken she seemed to appear. Celeborn beckoned her to enter, forgetting matters of state for the nonce. "Take a seat for yourself, Celebrian."

She did so, then said, "I am saddened, father, for your mood is unhappy because of my love – it should not be so."

"There are other things at work, my daughter, that you do not consider." Under his breath he said, "So many, in fact, that I cannot concentrate on just one." Coming to stand beside her, he spoke louder, "But that Elrond and you share love does not trouble me. That Elrond -a colleague whom I also called friend for long years- would keep this secret from me is troubling indeed."

"Yet that you feel betrayed in friendship does not concern me greatly, though I sorrow for your pain," said Celebrian, respectfully. "Surely Elrond has sound reason for his actions, as he will explain to you, and amends shall be made. I feel certain of this."

"I will not say that the prospect is unappealing!" Remembering his fondness for Elrond, Celeborn did not wish that a rift remain between them, and such was his nature that already he yearned to understand and forgive. But he said, "It would be grievous if relations twixt our realms suffered strain, in these days which should be glad and peaceful for all."

"That is not the heart of this matter," said Galadriel, turning from the window. "Yet concerning it, I shall speak with Elrond on the morrow."

"And we may go courting?" Celebrian sounded hopeful.

"That will be determined, among other things."

~*~

"My daughter is full of love, and promise." Her smile was brief, and did not reach her eyes, nor comfort her companion. "She loves this world; verily, she loves every thing upon and about this world. She is full of life, and the life within her is meant to be unhindered, nourished, everlasting."

Made keenly uncomfortable by the suspicion that his own capacities were under scrutiny, Elrond could not help but shift a little. "You doubt my longevity? My endurance?"

"No, the grace you live by is certain."

"That of my progeny?"

"No, their fate would be their own, interwoven amid yours only so long as you could sustain them by the power within you to do so." Knowing he had another question prepared, she said, "And the obvious question of compatibility would answer itself, ask me not that."

Shifting again, Elrond said, "Then respectfully, my lady, in what way does your heart misgive you?"

The private study seemed a fit place for disclosure of such matters. Galadriel spoke plainly, "Great would be your love and so would be your sorrow, yet greater than both would be your children, surpassing all joy and tragedy come before them, I foretell. But the end is hidden from me, and I remember ever the past, when not long ago Celebrian’s heart was turned to another – on a whim, as it now seems."

Pretending not to be bothered, Elrond became busy at his desk, reordering things out of place. "I did not ask to know that."

"Yet it is best that you do, loremaster." The title was no small compliment to pay; for Elrond -once renown as a mighty warrior- had renounced his sword after the Last Alliance. She came closer, possibly closer than she had ever stood beside him. "With love given freely comes a degree of frivolity. Celebrian has that to no harm, though it ought to be recognized as what it is."

Sensing his upset she touched his arm grown tense, and tried to soothe him by saying, "This is not Cuivienen of the folklore, Elrond, nor like it in simplicity or innocence. We do not wake beside our one and only match in this world. The paths we might take are many, and not all of them are obvious or the most desirable-seeming at the time. That you loved Celebrian even at your first sight of her is no wonder to me; many others have felt likewise before you. That Celebrian loves you also is not atypical, for she relishes making the stern smile and the wise think. But if she loves you truly or for your own sake must yet be discovered."

Elrond swallowed a reply full of pride, and spoke mildly against the din of his pounding heart, "You speak wisely, and of your love for your daughter there is no doubt, nor wrongness. Yet I also possess a measure of foresight in this, and— "

"There is no need for us to compare prophesies, I deem." She patted his arm, the pulsing veins beneath his flesh a legend aching to endure. The blood of a Maia was slow to dilute, and flowed hot within this one. So she spoke coolly, "As you are no doubt aware, my daughter was reared abiding the principles of the Eldar. Thus though there might be potential in this coupling, it may be explored only with due process. And so with the blessings of my husband and I, and with Celebrian’s accord, you two are allowed to court for a time, if this is your desire also, and providing that we four are of like mind concerning matters of acceptable decorum."

His eyes that had looked straight ahead descended as she spoke, and finally closed. He was not expected to feel insulted, though to feel otherwise seemed impossible. Nor was he expected to feel special, and that hurt most of all. Yet this was Galadriel, wife of Celeborn.... what degree of personal grief has their service and influence already paid for in full, and could he dare ask for more of them – indeed, their only daughter? ‘You must honour your alliances,’ Gil-galad had once said, ‘before you may love your allies.’
Elrond said nothing, now just as then.

"You will think on it, I see. When your decision is made you may approach Celeborn, and he will permit you accordingly." As Galadriel left, the sun passed behind a cloud, and soon the air grew thick with the message of rain and a starless night.

Looked skyward Elrond found no consolation, and thought upon the doom that had brought him here.

~*~





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List