Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Cling and Clatter  by Yuna_Dax

Title – Cling & Clatter – Chapter 10 – A Winter's Tale

Author - Julesmonster, otherwise known as YunaDax

Rating – PG13

Summery - Free from slavery and guards, Legolas and Aragorn brave the cold mountains to return to Mirkwood

Disclaimer – They do... I don't. Bugger about that isn't it. The song is A Winter's Tale and It's a Beautiful Day by Queen. They are on the Made in Heaven album.The idea for this chapter came from a novel a friend of mine was reading, Jo's Boys by Louisa May Alcott.

Authors Notes – This is part 10 of a series, you'd better read the first nine for this to make any sense what so ever :) My other fic that predates this one is also good for understanding the backstory, its called Faded Ashes.

Dedication  – Special Ta to Sonbon for lending me the whole survival kit and kaboodle, Katiemunchkin, Minka and the RatPak girls for all your continuing support.

A Winters Tale 

So quiet and peaceful,

tranquil and blissful,

there's a kind of magic in the air,

what a truly magnificent view,

a breathtaking scene.

 

For five days the tired and hungry companions climbed higher and higher within the icy bounds of the mountains. Neither had yet to spot anything they could use as a kind of food, the roots of the shrubs were frozen, the berries either non-existent or poisonous, and even the water was frozen solid. They had worked out a system of forcing as much snow and ice into their waterskins in the morning, then tying it under their thighs as they rode, allowing body heat to thaw the frozen liquid into something they could use. Still they rode on, climbing higher during the days, and sleeping curled together for warmth in the nights. Both began to grow painfully thin, their clothes hanging from their bodies as if they were made for men twice their size. The scenery was breathtaking as they rose towards the clouds, finally reaching the summit at noon of the fifth day. Lands dropped for as far as the eye could see in every direction, greens and blues blending together in a view of the world rarely seen. Legolas' keen eyes picked up a different hue in the lands beneath them, a darker more sinister colour that could only be caused by evil. He pointed towards the area of black and spoke his thoughts to his companion.

"That is Mirkwood to the north, for the trees have yet to regrow after being touched by the evil of Saruman."

Aragorn nodded and turned his eyes to a closer area of interest, a rudimentary bark hut stood alone on the downward slope of the mountain, dim and dark in the distance yet to Aragorn a shining beacon indicating that someone crossed these mountains enough to provide shelter, and the other item that commonly accompanies shelter. Food.

Without question they headed towards the dark shape, reaching it within that afternoon and setting an early camp. With renewed vigour the two dismounted, turning the horse loose again to forage in the snow for grass before entering the dilapidated hut in search for the foodstuffs that could save their lives. Together the searched the small shelter, turning aside all its meager contents in search of some dried meat, stale bread, or frozen fruit. Alas their search revealed nought but a cut on the hand that Legolas received when shoving aside the bed in his search. Before binding the gash with a strip of material torn off his tattered shirt, Aragorn inspected the cut, noticing the way the Elf's blood still flowed freely despite the cold weather. An idea formed in the Ranger's mind, something that could keep them alive until they were out of the mountains and into more arable land. Blood contains all the nutrients the body needs to survive, and the only member of the party without a lack of food was their horse. So what if they could bleed enough from their gentle beast, mix it with some water, grass and herbs, and live off that? He knew his theory could keep them alive, yet after living for many years in Rivendell he also knew how Legolas would react to bleeding the animal.

Angrily Legolas shook his head as Aragorn explained his plan. Desecrating the body of a sacred animal was against everything he has been taught as a child. Even when things were dire taking the lifeblood of another to keep yourself alive was wrong to the Elf and he grew quite agitated as he explained to the Ranger why. Fortunately for the Ranger he was not bound by such sacred rites and went to the small fireplace to start a fire. Carefully he stacked the small amount of wood in the stone oven, using his blade and a piece of flint he had found to send sparks into the cold but dry wood. Within minutes a small fire cast its glow around the tiny cabin, slowly defrosting its occupants and reminding them just how hungry they were. Legolas clutched his aching stomach as it churned and grumbled painfully with its lack of filling. When the spasm had passed he looked at the ranger, still fighting with his moral centre. They were starving, and would not last more than another day or so. The horse was still solid, spending all the nights grazing beneath the snow on mountain grass. Would it be so wrong to take just a little? Just enough to keep them alive? Emotions played across his features, belying his internal struggle to his companion. Aragorn nodded sympathetically and reached for the tin cup lying discarded on the floor.

" We only need a little, and if we only take a little it will be several days before the animal even feels it" the Ranger said soothingly. He understood that Legolas was the crown prince of his homeland, treated as such by all who knew him. He would never have known the cold stabbing of hunger and how it could make one do terrible things if only to make the gnawing pass for a while. Aragorn placed his dull but strong knife in the flames, waiting until the tip was glowing before removing it, taking the cup and heading out into the freezing inky black of night.

It was quite a while before the rugged human re-entered the cabin, holding a full cup, a handful of what looked like grass, and a bloodstained blade. Casting these objects on the roughhewn table he set to work. Pulling out another cup from its shelf he poured half the blood into it, filling the rest with the water from their waterskins and adding a few leaves that he had collected. Picking up the mixture he set it in the flames until it boiled, before removing it and setting it to cool in front of the still conflicted face of Legolas.

It's all so beautiful,

like a landscape painting in the sky,

mountains are zooming higher,

..., my world is spinnin' and spinnin and spinnin,

its unbelievable.

" Let it cool before sipping it slowly" the Ranger instructed as he headed back to the table to mix his own cup, leaving the Elf to his own deliberations as to whether he would actually drink the blood of another creature. When Aragorn return the Elf's cup still lay untouched, and remained so until the Ranger's cup was also ready and sitting before him. Hesitatingly the Elf picked up the cup and lifted it slowly to his lips, unable to keep the repulsion from his face as his nose picked up the scent. It smelt terrible and would most probably taste even worse, but it would keep them alive until they could find food of their own. Eventually both cups were empty and the companions curled up in front of the fire to sleep, resting somewhat peacefully for the first time since camping by the stream.

Dawn greeted them with a spectacular display of colour, the sky turning many shades of orange and pink before the yellow globe rose to once again dominate the sky. The horse nickered softly as its two masters arose sleepily from their cabin, picking its way through the snow to nuzzle at them, understanding and forgiving them for what they had to do the night before. Legolas scratched the gentle creature behind its ears, whispering an apology in Elvish as the creature's head gently butted against his chest. Aragorn went and retrieved one of the tin cups, as well as his blade and waterskins and rejoined the Elf who was now standing admiring the impressive view. Once more feeling somewhat like his normal self, the Wood Elf took in the view, letting his gaze once again wander over the greens and blues of the lands that surrounded them. The dark patch of death was still evident amoungst the green, and it gave them both determination and direction as they once again mounted their sturdy horse and began to descend the mountain.

For another two days they descended, stopping only at night when the light failed, and bleeding the horse if they could find dry firewood. On the eve of the third night they dropped into the foothills of the mountains, lush greenery taking the place of icy white snow. At the first sign of greenery, the friends dismounted and started their renewed search for edible food. For an hour they searched under the threat of invading blackness, pulling aside foliage and grass to peer at roots, and pulling down branches to see if their bough bore any fruit. As the blackness finally rolled in Legolas returned to where they had split up with several roots in his arms. His arms and hands were scraped and raw but the smile on his face saw that he felt no pain in his limbs. Aragorn saw Legolas' grin and proudly displayed the few small boughs of fruit he had found. Together they built a small fire with dead wood and made a broth in the tin cup they had kept from the mountain cabin. To the average traveler the meal would have been meager and bland, but to the friends it was a feast fit for a king. They ate heartily and settled down to sleep next to the fire, content to know that they would have no trouble finding food to fill their bellies for at least a little while.

Its a beautiful day

I feel good, I feel right,

and no-ones gonna stop me now.

 

To Be Continued...

All feedback greatly appreciated at yunadax@bigpond.com





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List