Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Hidden Agenda  by sheraiah

Title: Hidden Agenda ch 18

Author: sheraiah

For full disclaimer, see chapter 1.

Seldar eased himself down onto the bench by the large window of the dwelling he had been given the use of by the elves of Ithlilien. Dwelling was the best word he could come up with; it could not be called a hut, as it was halfway up a tree. He still did not know how he had managed to climb up, as badly off from the lack of drink as he had been by the time he and his escort had arrived. The days since his arrival had been a blur of illness, healers, foul tasting potions and now, finally, a clear head and the beginnings of an appetite.

'Keria would be ashamed of what I became after her death,' he thought. 'I am ashamed of it.' To his surprise, after his initial words, Master Luinloth and the others had not pressed him for information. They were kind, seeing to his needs, but beyond that they had left him in the hands of the healers and to his own devices other than that. He found that he was grateful for the space, and the opportunity to think.

And think he had. For long hours he had turned things over and over in his mind, coming to the only conclusion he could: that if he did not aid the king, he would be truly irredeemable, no better than the scum that had worked for the Enemy during the War and completely unworthy of the memories of his wife and the children he had lost, not to mention his sole surviving child.

'And if it means that I pay with my life, so be it. That's little enough a price to pay to regain the honor I drank away. Perhaps Keria will be waiting for me.' His features hardened. 'And if by some miracle I don't have to pay with my life, perhaps Serai might eventually be able to forgive me for what I've done to her and for dragging her into this mess when I should have protected her from it.'

A light rapping at the entry to the dwelling drew his attention. "Please, come in," he called. Luinloth's dark head rose through the opening in the floor of the dwelling.

"Good morning," the elf said, climbing the rest of the way onto the platform. "How are you feeling today, Master Seldar?"

"Far better than I was," Seldar answered, rising to take the basket that the elf carried from him.

"Good. Do you think you might be able to eat something a bit more substantial today?" Luinloth asked, untucking the cloth from the basket.

"I would like to try," the man replied. "I actually feel hungry at the moment."

"Well, it seems that I have spent enough time in the company of hobbits to have learned a few things from them," the elf said, humor lacing his tone. "No one is better at, I believe the term is comfort food, than hobbits." He began to lay out a veritable feast. "Eat what you wish. There are enough warriors in the settlement that no food ever goes to waste."

"Thank you." Seldar tucked into the food with cautious gusto, careful to eat slowly. The food tasted wonderful to his reawakened sense of taste. After a while, he sat back with a sigh.

"Very good. I am glad to see your appetite return, and you are wise not to overdo it." Luinloth packed away the remains of the meal efficiently. Seldar cleared his throat and the dark haired elf looked at him expectantly.

"I have had much time to think over the last few days, for which I thank you. I have come to a decision."

"I promised you that none of us would attempt to influence you in either direction," the elf said serenely. "What have you decided?"

"That if I don't aid the king, I would truly be as evil as those seeking to destroy him. I would like to attempt to become again someone my wife and children would have been proud of. I'd also wish to make the attempt to gain the forgiveness of the one child who is still living. I don't deserve it, and never shall regardless of what amends I make." He sighed, running a hand through his unruly hair. "I was a scribe once, did Serai tell you? We were never well off, but we were comfortable. I drank that away, too."

"I think that you are making a good start," Luinloth said, sitting down opposite Seldar again. "If life has taught me anything, it is that very few individuals are truly irredeemable. I have observed many beings, elves, men and dwarves, for many centuries. Every race has it's share of fools and villains. Every race also has heroes. I am privileged to know several of the latter sort of varying races."

"I think, Master Luinloth, I would like to hear some of your stories sometime." Seldar smiled at the chuckle that his statement elicited.

"I have no duties for the next little while. Shall I tell you one now?" Luinloth asked, chuckling again at the Man's enthusiastic agreement.

Ooo

"That's a remarkable tale. If I didn't know better, I'd say it was a bard's fancy." Seldar shook his head. "How long ago was this?"

"Not long, as we measure time. Some of the dwarves involved are still living, though none of the Men now are. And the hobbit still lived at the last I heard. He sailed to the Undying Lands with Master Elrond and the wizard, Mithrandir as well as his nephew, who accomplished even greater deeds more recently. Less than a century."

"You witnessed the dragon's coming, didn't you?"

"Yes. I had been in Dale that day, but had begun the journey home by the time the dragon attacked. I have seen many terrible things in my life, and that was one of the worst. My companions and I rendered aid where we could but there was little we could do."

"I can't wrap my mind around talking about centuries as if they were weeks," Seldar said, shaking his head in wonder. "Is it unforgivably rude to ask an elf his age?"

"Only slightly rude," Luinloth answered with a laugh. "And many of us have to think for awhile before we are able to answer such a question. As for me, I am around 7000 years old, give or take. I was born in Doriath, while Thingol and Melian ruled. As was my lord king." Seldar shook his head again.

"That's something I never expected: to be having conversations with a being older than Gondor. If I manage to survive long enough to aid the king and beyond, I wish to hear all your stories and to write them down. Such knowledge shouldn't be lost to those of us who will remain when your kindred have left these shores."

"I will do my best to ensure that you are able to hear those stories, though I warn you that many of them are not comfortable stories to hear," the elf said, his expression turning solemn.

"Those are frequently the ones that most need to be told," the Man replied, "if we don't learn from the past, we're doomed to repeat it."

"True," the elf sighed. "And now I must go and make preparations for our journey back to the White City. Do you wish to have your evening meal here, or would you like to join the rest of the colony in the glade?"

"The glade, if you think I'll be welcome."

"You are welcome. You are here by invitation of our prince." Luinloth stood, picking up the basket. "I will come get you when it is time to eat."

Ooo

The cloaked figures passed silently through the hidden gate that was held open for them by the Steward.

"I am heartened to see you here, Master Seldar," Faramir, son of Denethor said softly after he closed and locked the gate behind them. "It takes much courage to stand against such evil men."

"I have much to atone for, my lord. We should proceed immediately, and I would like write out all I know and have it duly witnessed before I rest tonight. I don't trust that it's not already known that I'm here. I'd rather have the knowledge sworn to and in the king's hands rather than risk keeping it behind lips that may be permanently sealed."

"I agree, and so we shall," the Steward replied. "Follow me."

Ooo

"The copies have been distributed and secured?" Aragorn asked as he signed the orders for his troops to take the parties named in Seldar's depositions into custody.

"Yes, my lord. By nightfall, we will secure our targets and begin ferreting out their co-conspirators." Faramir rolled his shoulders wearily. He had not yet slept since Seldar had arrived in the City. "I am ready for this business to be done."

"As am I. Clever of them to remain out of public life so as not to come under your father's scrutiny, and my own." Aragorn spared him a brief, sardonic half smile. "Or yours."

"There is value in being underestimated. And in remaining inconspicuous, it seems. Perhaps we should institute a policy of meeting all title holders on an annual basis."

"That is an excellent idea, my friend. I will add it to the agenda at the next council meeting." Aragorn sighed, adding his signature to the last document before sprinkling sand over the ink and handing the sheets to Faramir. "And so we begin to unravel this conspiracy."

The citizens of Minas Tirith awoke that morning to the sound of troops riding out to all corners of Gondor, the names of members of nine noble houses on arrest warrants. Shock rippled through the kingdom as the accused were taken into custody one by one.

Ooo



Accept




<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List