Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Torn Between Two Worlds  by Ithilien

Part Seven: Departure

Anaran could not help but laugh. It would not be the first time since this adventure had started that he would overhear a conversation much like this one. Full of mirth were his lord and the Dwarf, and it made Anaran glad to see high jinx and soaring spirits between the two after such a long round of despair.

A low chuckle rumbled in his belly. It seemed the pair had painted themselves into a corner. Quite literally. Their task that day had been to seal the interior hull planking with tar, to protect against future invasion of seawater. Though Anaran had heard no conversation to the like, it would seem there was certainty on both parts that a ladder was to have been placed at the aft hatch. The argument was over who had responsibility for it, as apparently it was not there.

"I thought it was your job to set up the ladder at this end."

"No, I distinctly remember it was yours."

"Curses, Elf! It is starting to drift this way! My feet will set up in this mess in no time!"

"Am I to be held at blame for where you put your feet?"

"You are when my feet should not be stuck in this ooze!"

This shared perception of conversation where none took place was becoming familiar to the grey-eyed Elf. Anaran reflected on the new trait. Oddly, throughout these few months they had seemed to already know what to do, how to do it, and who was to do what, where and when, without ever speaking a word on the subject between them. And while the change was most strange in Anaran's mind, almost supernatural, he believed, it also seemed like a completion had been made between the pair. A symbiosis of sorts, they complemented each other. Without words exchanged, one would complete a task started by the other, as if planned all along. A simple nod of the head and the other instantly knew his job.

Yet clearly they did not read the other's thoughts, for pranks ran amuck, and each in turn became a gullible victim to the other's antics. This time it was Gimli's turn to be the recipient of harmless mischief, for Anaran was certain the missing ladder was not a mistake.

It was not the first time an incident such as this had occurred. But the harm, if ever there was any, was always in innocent fun. Just a few days prior, Gimli had supposedly made the mistake of locking Legolas below deck when the Dwarf had been presumably testing the latches. A sudden case of deafness overtook the Dwarf that day as no amount of yells for assistance from Legolas seemed to rally him. In spite of all the fuss, Gimli somehow managed to drift off into an afternoon nap, reclining against a nearby tree. On that day it had been many hours before Gimli had conceded to awaken from his rest, hearing somehow restored at his waking.

"How could it be my job if I have no memory of it ever being thus?"

"Sadly it would seem your mind is slipping, Dwarf."

"My mind is quite… Wait! What do you think you are doing?"

"And so it seems your eyes fail you as well. Is it not apparent that I am leaving? Up and out I go."

"You can't leave me here like this… Legolas!"

But once again, nearly everything about this new venture was mystical in nature. Most certainly, his lord's recovery was nothing short of miraculous. Journeying to the garden that fateful morn had revealed a cured Legolas, whole and renewed, complete in mind and body. Nothing short of intervention at the hands of the Valar could be assumed and Anaran readily believed this was true. He had come to believe they were blessed in this endeavor, for the mysteries about how they could do all that they did were unexplainable otherwise. In fact, aside from these silly games they played on one another, everything they had set out to do had been executed with nearly flawless execution.

Anaran looked up at the lean grey ship that they had built. Supported in cradles and scaffolding, she was perched and harnessed near the hollowed bay of the shore. The gray-eyed Elf had seen no diagrams or drawings to indicate their design, and he did not believe such articles existed. Its construction seemed to come completely from within their heads which was a magnificent accomplishment, for the task of crafting a vessel of this proportion without having a preconceived plan was unimaginable. And Anaran knew it was not heritage that gave Legolas this skill. While handy with woodcraft, Greenwood elves were not noted for building ships! The Forest River that ran through that dark glade was sized for the construct of small craft, nothing as immense or complex as this vessel. No, it was not innate ability that gave Legolas this skill. And as for the Gimli, his knowledge was beyond anything natural, for Anaran had long heard rumor of Dwarven repulsion for Sea and its watercraft. Certainly with this evidence, there was no other recourse but to believe miraculous intent.

Even finding this camp had been an example of incomprehensible mystery. They had set themselves up in a clearing on a rise by the river, surrounded by a small forest of mature trees. The site had been carefully selected for the task at hand. The trees were of the right size, the bay was of the right depth, the clearing was of the right proportion. Though it must be coincidence, it was as if the site had been designed for their use. Anaran remembered when they had first left to scout for camps, Legolas had led them directly to this place, as if he knew it exactly, and no other place did they look. The Dwarf had dismounted and stood in the exact center of the clearing. Completing a full circumference scan of the site, he declared this would do fine, and he and the Elven lord began preparations for their work. That was all that it took. Anaran had been much surprised, as he thought there would be more to finding a proper location than this. At the time he had dismissed it, telling himself he was unlearned in such matter. Now with further observation of the two, he knew it was much more than that.

Legolas silently dropped to the ground from the shell of the ship. He innocently smiled at Anaran as he casually walked through the camp. From above and behind Anaran could hear the infuriated bellow of the Dwarf. "Legolas! Get back here right this moment!"

To his credit, Legolas acted as if he had not heard, and cocked an eyebrow at the stew pot simmering over the fire. Stopping to stir it, and to steal a small taste, he gave an appreciative nod to Anaran, apparently approving their dinner.

Again, Gimli howled, "Legolas!"

Clicking his tongue and slightly shaking his head, he exchanged an exasperated look with Anaran before answering the Dwarf. "Yes, Gimli, what is it?"

"You are not going to leave me in here!"

Legolas smiled an impish grin, working to stifle his laugh. "No, of course not, friend. I would not think of doing such a thing," he said chuckling lightly.

"Then what are you doing?" the Dwarf's frustrated roar sounded out.

Making a quarter turn, he stopped to examine a ladder near where they kept the tools. Shouting back, he said, "I am seeing if I may find the ladder."

Anaran counted to ten as he too tried to stifle his laugh. He had reached nine when Gimli's rumbling voice thundered out, "And have you?!"

Staring directly at the ladder, Legolas blatantly lied, all the while innocently answering, "No." Working to quell a snort of laughter, he called out, "Are you sure you put it where it was supposed to be?"

There was a small silence that followed, and Anaran felt sure he could see the boat vibrating with the building anger of the Dwarf. With a reserve that meant only his patience was about to be lost, Gimli answered as if through gritted teeth, "If I had put it where it was supposed to be, it would be here where I could use it!"

Pretending he had not heard the frustrated gruffness, Legolas merrily called out, "I cannot seem to find it, Gimli. Let me ask Anaran if he knows." Turning now to face the dark-haired Elf, Legolas smiled with great mischief. In a voice much louder than it need be, he sang out, "Anaran? Have you seen the ladder?"

Eyes widening to his involuntary role in this ruse, Anaran mouthed silent protest. Legolas ignored him, smiling with his most endearing grin. But Anaran held his ground. He would not become a pawn in this game, and further we would not become a future target for doing such. He shook his head firmly, but smiled all the same. He may not participate, but he could enjoy being a spactator.

Rolling his eyes in mild frustration, Legolas accepted the other Elf's response, and so made due by improvising on his own. With overly dramatic intonation he said, "What is that you say, Anaran? You believe you may have seen it on the other side of that copse?"

Wincing at the absurd falsity of the words, Anaran clasped a hand over his mouth to stymie his laughter. If it was not before, this charade had become quite obviously a ploy. A poorly acted one at that, but it made no difference, as Gimli was already its victim.

A rumble of Dwarven curses echoed from within the frame of the ship, punctuated by the words, "Fool Elf!"

Under normal circumstances, questioning Anaran might not have been so unusual, for it had become Anaran's self-appointed job to play keeper to Legolas' home. Though it was not really a home, more a series of tents, it was the place they endured until their task could be complete, and seeing that would take several months, in Anaran's mind, it was home. He did his best to make it comfortable for them and to keep some order to it. Anaran knew where most everything in the camp was held. As a result of their outdoor living, Anaran's sense of adventure had become piqued, and he surprisingly found a rugged lifestyle fit him, as well as any he had held within a manor. For despite the difference in their years, Anaran had lived a cloistered life, like many non-warring Elves. He had not ventured far beyond his own borders, and being untrained as a warrior, there had been fear associated with doing so beforehand. But the world was a different place now and the renewal of his lord had done wonders for the dark-haired Elf's perspective. He felt a sense of new hope and possibilities, and he was beginning to think that he did not want to go back to the life he had been living. He did not care to fade away quietly with the rest of his race. At least, not yet. Anaran's options were expanding.

Months before, they had bid their farewells to the Elven realm of Ithilien with due grace. A new Lord had been named, and Legolas had easily relinquished his home and possessions, taking only what he found fit to travel to his new home. Rather than staying to learn a new master, Anaran had followed his friend to the shore of the Anduin. Anaran had staid his post and proven his faith, though it was never really asked of him. Loyalty was in his makeup and no one could say he was not true to himself. Besides, friendship was as much a factor in his decision as was dedication and a new desire for adventure. He would never desert Legolas unless the Elf asked him to go. Yet despite the joyous days that followed, sadly for Anaran they would soon depart. Anaran would not be traveling with them, for it was not his time to go on that final journey.

Gimli had been most forthright with Anaran on the topic of their journey. The need to build a ship of their own was not a direct means for success. An Elf would most normally procure passage in the Havens. Círdan stood guard over a fleet of ships there. But Gimli said no others would dare make journey with them, for with a Dwarf aboard, they would feel certain that they would be turned back. And this was their reason for building their own. But Legolas had laughed. He said the vessel would be theirs in years to come and would offer them opportunities for adventures untold. He had smiled with merriment at the prospect.

Legolas patiently climbed back up to the top deck. As he stood over the hatch, he shook his head and sighed, "I am sorry, my friend, the ladder seems not to be here. I will now look on the other side of the clearing where Anaran thought he saw it."

"Then you are leaving me here!" The dark-haired Elf heard the Dwarf's ire rise incrementally.

"Only until I find the ladder," Legolas answered with an innocent shrug.

Resigned to his fate, Gimli sounded as if he understood he would not be released soon. "I suppose that could take hours."

Legolas sighed as if about to undertake a daunting task. "It is a rather large forest."

"And a very tiresome task it must seem."

"I grow weary at just the thought of it," Legolas said in agreement with a yawn.

"I do not suppose a rope could be found?" the Dwarf offered with vague optimism.

Legolas cast a fleeting glance about him, then quickly dismissed the idea, "No. I do not see one of those either."

With an exasperated sigh, Gimli said, "Do you have any other suggestions?"

Legolas' eyes twinkled. A jubilant smile glanced briefly on his lips, then he reigned in, trying to refrain himself from seeming too excited at the suggestion he would offer. Bending down over the hole, he said, "You might try jumping."

"WHAT?!" came the harried answer.

"Just like I did, Gimli. Jump out."

"I will not stoop to the foolishness of such a suggestion," the Dwarf answered indignantly.

"Unless your skills have diminished so grievously…"

"My skills are quite fine!"

"I am afraid I disagree. You once were fairly good at jumping. For a Dwarf, that is. I remember well that you could easily jump from the ground to the back of my horse with no assistance whatsoever. And the distance you face now is not nearly so high. But alas, you are hindered by age…" Legolas sighed deeply and sadly, shaking his head.

Flustered, Gimli began to sputter. "I…er … there is nothing wrong with my… I could easily make that distance…" Anaran laughed now as he heard the Dwarf curse under his breath knowing for certain that he had long been set up for this humiliation. After a long pause and a few more curses, the Elf heard a loud thud in the hull of the ship.

With eyes that gleamed in mirth, Legolas called down his encouragement, even going so far as to reach down to grab the Dwarf should he somehow get near. "That is it, Gimli! Now try it with your arms raised higher!"

A few more thumping booms of heavy feet crashed to the ships floor followed quickly by more raspy growls. Most definitely pleased, Legolas stood up, "Do not give up yet, my friend. You almost had it that time. But I fear your escape may be elusive in this regard. I shall go in search of the ladder now," he said as he released a fake yawn. "So very sleepy I feel. I do not know how I will accomplish this without dropping off in the process." Waving to his friend, "Good luck, Gimli!" he called and walked away, singing a happy tune, in search of a good place for a nap.

Shocked and amused, and knowing justice had been had, and then some, Anaran ticked off the seconds again before he heard the Dwarf's outburst, "Legolas!"

****

The sloop looked much smaller when in the water, her hull and keel hidden in the depths of the bay. But her mast was tall and stood a great height, at least that of the measure of the sleek craft. Too large to be called a boat, yet on the smaller side to be named a ship, she measured a size fair enough for two skilled seamen to handle. She was ready, and a prettier vessel Anaran could not remember. Gray and sleek she was as he viewed her in the harbor. Moored away from the shore, the full moon shone down on her, gracing her with a regal beauty. She fit her name well, Gwend Alfirin, for she looked inviting and eternal.

The figurehead of the craft added to her nobility. With reverence Gimli had carved it from a block of wood that was remarkable in its grain and depth. From this beauty he shaped the goddess Yavanna, wife of Aulë, and offered it as an adornment to their vessel. It was a tribute to his maker, and also in honor of Legolas' love for the trees, for Yavanna was the one among the Valar who ruled over all growing things of the earth.

Their mission was complete. Their ship had been built. There was little else to keep them there. They were ready to depart.

She had done well on her maiden voyage, a test of her seaworthiness on a short course down and back on the Anduin earlier that week. She showed no signs of weakness and so they made her ready to sail.

Anaran had accompanied them on that short trip, and he marveled at their dexterity and prowess at the craft. She responded like a racehorse, sleek and quick and beautiful to behold. Anaran had enjoyed the feel of the air rushing through his hair, the sun bouncing off the lapping waters. But mostly, he had enjoyed seeing the ecstatic thrill that pervaded Legolas' soul. The image of Legolas at the helm, head tilted back, eyes gently closed, wind brushing his fair hair away, would live forever in his memory. His lords dreams were about to be fulfilled and Anaran could not help feeling mixed emotions over that.

Sadness pervaded the camp on this is final day. The antics that had continued through their many days tasks had diminished on this day. It was as if they wished to use this time for silent meditations, to make their final preparations, to say their last good-byes.

Tied up on the shore were a skiff and a small boat. These they used to transport materials or themselves across to the ship. Anaran caught sight of several bundles within the boat, and saw the shadow of the Dwarf returning to his tent. It seemed the Dwarf was making ready for his own boarding.

The Elf focused his attention on Legolas' tent before him, and he called softly for admission. Pushing the tent flap open as he was beckoned to enter, light suffused the walls within the canvas structure. He found Legolas neatly replacing a quill into its font as he dusted the note he wrote. Brushing away the loose granules of sand, Legolas inspected his work, then folded it into a small parcel. Lighting the sealing wax, he made a small circle of the hot paraffin before dipping his signet to mark and close the tight package. Gazing at Anaran with a mix of pride and sadness, he handed the packet to the Elf.

"Perhaps this will help you in your quest," he said with a small smile.

"It is hardly a quest, my lord. More aptly, you could call it a desire for change in venue," Anaran answered politely, accepting the proffered package.

"If it is desired and not yet attained, it is a quest. I am happy that you would concede to take such a risk. This is an adventure for you," Legolas said with a light hand to the taller Elf's shoulder.

Anaran looked down in humble expression. He said, "It is hardly an adventure compared to what you will undertake. Alas, it is hardly an adventure compared to any you have already taken. I am merely traveling to Minas Tirith."

"To be among Men! In a city! Not necessarily a light task for an Elf of the woodlands. But I believe you are up to it. I said it so in my letter. I believe the king may find you of benefit to his counsel," Legolas said as he indicated the note.

"Perhaps. Or perhaps he will not desire my services at all," Anaran said with a melancholy tone.

"He will only if you tell him that is what you seek! I made no indication that your talents were minor. In fact, I told him you have been a strong advisor in the course of my lordship, and that I trust you implicitly in matters of state. You have been great counsel to me on many matters, and for quite a long time, by mortal standards. Your blood and lineage may not be as noble, but I do not think that matters to Men. It has not to me. You can be an aid to him. You have been an aide to me. That is not a small job as Ithilien has grown to be not a small place. You will have to prove yourself, of course. Nothing comes without trust, but you have ample enough time to gain that," Legolas said with a small smile. "I have faith that he will see you as I do. I very well think there may be a place for you there. You know the minds of your people, and I am sure that will be of assistance to him. And do not forget, he is half-Elven. He may even long to be among some of his mother's kind. You could be a touchstone for him."

"I should not doubt myself, you tell me," Anaran said with embarrassment.

"You should not doubt me. I think I know your character well and I am sure you will accomplish any task you are set out to do," Legolas said with conviction. Then he smirked and cast a sidelong glance at the dark Elf as he said, "Even if that responsibility should be trade negotiations…"

Anaran grimaced. "Oh fair lord, if that is what I have to look forward to, may this adventure soon end!"

Legolas laughed. "Working among Men will be the adventure, Anaran, in whatever capacity you serve. Just be careful to guard your soul among them. Mortals have a way of whiling themselves into Elven hearts," he said with a coy smile.

"A curse I have witnessed well. And yet you have no regrets," the elder said, a smile gracing his strong features now.

"The adventure was worth every step," Legolas said as he clapped Anaran on the back. Then turning more serious, his voice lowered, "You know that I jest when I speak of guarding yourself. Quite truly, I would not take back a moment, even had the situation gone differently. I think you have been with me long enough to know not to let Elven pride rule you, Anaran. Follow your heart. Friendship is a great gift. I hope you will find many friends where you go."

"Thank you, my lord," Anaran said with a bowed head.

"Are all the preparations complete?" Legolas asked changing the subject.

"They are. The Ithilien Elves will be by in the morrow to break down the remains of the camp and to take the tools back to the colony. They are most grateful for the donation of such fine Dwarven goods," the grey-eyed Elf stated.

"Do they think us mad, Anaran?" Legolas asked with bemused curiosity.

"Some most certainly do believe that," Anaran answered without commitment.

"And you? Do you think we are mad?" Legolas asked with eyes peering into the other Elf's soul.

"I believe the madness lies in those who would scorn you without knowing what you know. I think their distance from their fears makes them small, and their pride for only things Elven is short-sighted. I think in the end they will see you were right, that friendship can be had outside of their race. But only after the Valar have blessed you for your courage to stand up to that estrangement. And when that comes, those who have been less than kind will find themselves regretting their actions," Anaran answered with a degree of pride, and then he spoke in a softened voice that revealed his deeper feelings. "And if I may speak plainly, I believe, Legolas, I would want to emulate your values. I look forward to the day we may meet again so I may show you how much your influence has affected me."

Now Legolas was the one to be humbled. "Thank you, my friend. I look forward to that day as well. Until then, may Elbereth guide you," he said with a quick embrace. Then releasing the elder and turning away to mask his sorrow, he said, "I believe Gimli would like to see you."

Making his departure, Anaran said in a choked voice, "Thank you, my lord. Good night and… and safe journey."

"Good bye, Anaran," he heard the fair Elf murmur softly.

Stepping outside, Anaran restrained his grief. He was at a loss for his remorse, and he closed his eyes tightly to push his emotions back. He felt as if he wanted to cry out at his sadness, but reminded himself that their parting was only a temporary thing. Anaran felt sure they would be reunited again one day. He bolstered himself with this positive thought, and reminded himself that his remorse would have been far greater had there not been a recovery. Legolas' departure was a good thing. For them both. Anaran would not reflect further on the past. There was yet so much future to behold.

Now in control, Anaran opened his eyes and walked briskly to the Dwarf's tent. He saw the shadows created within by a single lamp, and the form of the Dwarf as he packed his last bags. Anaran called out, "Master Gimli, I believe you wished to see me?"

From within Anaran saw the shadow of the Dwarf straighten and then grow smaller as the form moved away from the lamp and approached the tent entrance. Drawing back the canvas flap, Gimli peered out at the Elf with a slight smile. He said in a deep baritone voice, "Ah yes, Anaran. Please, enter. I have a favor to ask of you."

Anaran stepped into the tent and glanced about. There was very little left of the Dwarf's belongings there, and even the small cot had been broken down into its pack form to be carted away with the other odds and ends of the camp. Aside from these few small bags, Anaran assumed the bulk of the Dwarf's goods had already been stowed on the ship. "It seems you are ready, Master Gimli. Will you be sleeping on board this night as well?"

Gimli rolled his eyes in response as he turned back to his task. "As if I had a choice. That eager Elf would have had us leave yesterday if he had his say in it. As it is, we are to depart before dawn. Something about calmer Seas in the morning hours. I do not pretend to know what he speaks about, and truly I think he is making it up. But I can barely hold him back. So lest I wish to be left behind, I think it would be best if I were aboard ere he was. Do you not agree?"

Anaran chuckled, for it was true that his master could barely be sated his desire now to travel. "I think you are wise, Master Dwarf. You know his mind well."

"Ah, here now!" Gimli exclaimed as he drew his hand out of his bag. Within the palm of his hand lay an item that Anaran could not quite make out. "This is what I've called you here for. I believe I said I needed a favor granted. Legolas told me you would be passing into Minas Tirith, and I was hoping you could see to the delivery of this item," Gimli said as he opened his palm to show Anaran the pendant with the entangled golden hair.

Anaran gasped, for he had never seen the jewel before, and even in this light, it was exquisite to behold. A soft radiant light gleamed out of it, and Anaran marveled at the splendor of it. "Why, Master Gimli, it is a jewel of perfection! Never have I seen a gem as lovely as this! What is its make? Is it gold?"

Gimli held it up to eye-level and let it rotate from its chain, casting rainbows of light on the walls of the tent. With a wistful glint in his eye, he said, "No not gold. Something far more precious than that." Then breaking his gaze, he looked directly at the Elf and said, "Promise me you will guard this carefully. It is worth more than I could ever say, and to the receiver it will mean more than that still."

Anaran's eyes could not leave the stone. There was something quite mystical in the pendant that bobbed before him. "I will guard it with my life," he said, and he meant it.

"Good," the Dwarf curtly answered. "And I want you to promise you will deliver it to no other than the one to whom it is intended."

"And who may that be?" Anaran asked as he broke his gaze.

"None other than the king," Gimli said. Catching the smile that began to creep up on the Elf's face, Gimli chuckled, "I know, I know, Legolas has written you a letter of introduction. I thought this might aid in the beginnings of your relationship in his court as well. The significance of this ornament will not be lost on him, and I am sure he will be grateful to you for its safe delivery. He is very much like his father in that way. And I was very fond of that Man. I hope you will find friendship with King Eldarion to be as enriching as his father's was to me," Gimli said with a sad smile.

Wrapping the pendant in a soft cloth, Gimli placed it in a velvet pouch with a ribbon drawstring. Handing the bag to Anaran, he said, "There is a message I wish you to convey as well."

Anaran nodded and peered deeply at the Dwarf, as if to memorize his exact words.

Gimli went on. "Tell him I would say, this gift has grown to be more than the tale of which we have known. It is the symbol within that represents the love shared by his parents. For like the lock of hair encased here, their love is intertwined and never ends, always returning again to each other. The memory of Aragorn and Arwen will not falter so long as this jewel is cherished. Can you tell him I said that?"

Anaran nodded with great gravity.

Then going on as if to explain, Gimli said in low tones, "Long has Eldarion heard of this gift. Whether from the bosom of his parents or the hearty friendship of myself, he knows well what was sacrificed for the sake of this small gem's existence. He will understand what my words truly mean and I can think of no one else who would represent it more fitting."

"I will do as you ask, Gimli," Anaran said accepting the magnitude of the task he was being given. He slipped the small pouch into a breast pocket and patted it safely there. "But I would wonder, if you do not mind telling, why even if significant to the king, you would give up such a magnificent item? Surely it is priceless?"

Gimli smiled and glanced down. Then he knowingly said, "I have been given a gift of far greater worth. This one pales in comparison to the real jewel."

****

Anaran could hear their voices echo back to him in the chill of the morn. Dawn had already broken, though a dense fog permeated the light. It was impossible to know how far they had gone, for the ship was not visible through the haze over the water. Through tricks of the fog, the sound of their voices could be heard, and whether miles away or merely yards, Anaran could not tell. But somehow Anaran knew they were now long past, so he reveled in the sounds of their voices one last time.

The Elf heard the sound of a gruff sigh, then he heard Legolas speak to his companion. "You look so wistful, friend Gimli? Will you share with me your parting thoughts?" Legolas asked.

"I was only thinking of the things I would miss," he heard the Dwarf's voice answer softly.

"Such as…"

"Nay. It is naught. Forget I said anything."

"I would hear this. Do not dismiss me. Tell me or I shall be forced to guess." There was a long pause with no answer, so the Elf continued. "Is it your people? For if so, it is not too late to forestall this venture until a proper farewell has been made."

"Nay. Tis not that! No need do we have to cease in this journey. I prefer that my people not know of my departure. Let them guess, I say! My name shall live on in their lore, a marker of historical significance. And I far prefer that than to die quietly in my sleep while safe within the confines of our caverns."

"A noble end you have chosen. Your caverns then? You will miss the Glittering Caves perhaps?"

"Ah, truly I will. But my eyes have long feasted there, and while I could live long in that beauty, I imagine there are sights to rival it where we are going. No. Stop in this. Do not try to guess further, Legolas. It was a fleeting thought, a silly longing."

He heard Legolas laugh, "And now you have quite piqued my curiosity? You must now tell me, Gimli, for I will not cease in my questioning ere this journey ends!"

Anaran heard Gimli snort, "I do not doubt it! And a contest of wills it would be. But it is not worth the trouble. For all that, my longing is of a small thing. I do not think it will be available in the land we now seek."

"What is it, my friend?" Legolas' voice sounded concerned.

There was a long pause, and then came the simple answer. "Pipeweed," the Dwarf mumbled.

A pleasant chuckle echoed across the water in response to the word, and Anaran felt his lips draw up to a smile.

"Do not laugh at me such! It is not an easy thing to give up. I know well the disdain of your people for this vice. I only just started to think on it when you asked and now I doubt there will be any to be had."

"Would it have stopped you from coming had you thought on it sooner?"

"Not in a heartbeat," Gimli said with a laugh.

"Perhaps I can find a way to restore your need upon our arrival?" Legolas offered.

"And how would that be done?" the Dwarf queried.

"You forget the Hobbits, and so too Mithrandir. They all are known to smoke the reeking stuff. I am sure my people would have made an exception, overcoming their repulsion long ago to gift those fair friends with their small indulgence. I imagine it shall be so with you too, Gimli," Legolas happily answered.

"Reprieve! Fair enough! If you think this may be delivered unto me, I will withdraw my worries," the Dwarf said with glee.

"I do think it so, Gimli. For there should always be exceptions. Until there is no reason to make exceptions any longer."

Their voices drifted away. But with Elven ears, Anaran heard their last few words.

"I am glad we cannot see it now as we part."

"You mean the land of which we leave, Gimli?"

"Aye, that. For me now, it is almost like it does not exist, and you and I are slipping away into the whiteness, and that it was all just a dream…"

Their voices faded. The sun rose higher and the fog burned away. And their ship was gone, never to be seen in Middle-earth again.

****





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List