Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Torn Between Two Worlds  by Ithilien

 A/N: The mysterious flower was Bleeding Heart. A year's supply of tissues is on its way to you, Snicklepop.

Part 6: Salvation

 "No!"

Legolas heard Gimli's bellowed wail as his spirit slipped past. The cry sounded faded. Distant. He felt arms about his figure and someone scooping him up and cradling him, though again it was foreign, as if the body being held was not his. He had no control over the limp form but in his mind, he could see the actions, hear the words. He felt his earthly body fight, gasping for air, clinging to the edge of its strength, but he felt no pain and his vision was flooded with the light of the stars as Eärendil floated above him.

In the sky and on the ground he was, simultaneously in both plains. Legolas mused on the synchronicity of the perceptions. The sensation was strange and he waited to see what it would allow. A part of him was rising, lifting upward and outward, touching the surroundings about him, and yet another piece of him was still on the bed, draped in the blankets and held in the Dwarf's arms. In his spirit mind, he could feel himself spreading out, reaching into the grass and the trees, and he felt their lifeforces gather into his soul as he passed over them. Like tendrils he felt his spirit lingering and lapping over all the details in the garden, gathering strength in small doses like a bee collecting pollen. He felt energy pulling into him and it fed him enough that he was still there on the bed, groping for life. He wondered how long he could make his body last like this, but he felt it a futile effort. It was harder to fight than to flee and the energy he found was disparagingly small. And so with a reduced will for purpose, his mind grew more estranged from the body below. A part of him wanted to move away and to continue exploring the world of nature about him. But another part felt compelled to stay, at least until his body was spent. He saw now he could witness the scene before him, as if from the treetops. He found himself watching the poor figure of Gimli as his cries streamed over the impending death of the Elven body.

"No! Not like this!" he saw the Dwarf scream out, turning his gaze into the sky, penetrating the space where Legolas now witnessed all. "Do not betray us! You gave us hope! You made us believe there was a chance for salvation…" His voice trailed off as his cries sang out. "Please…please…" He sobbed as he looked down at the Elf in his arms.

With an aloof detachment, Legolas watched his own pale face struggling for air. He saw the lips turn a bluish hue and his own pupils close down into unseeing pinpoints. Gimli pulled the body closer, cradling it like a child, rocking it gently as his Dwarven body quaked with sobs. But it was a fruitless move, and Legolas saw and felt himself slip even further away. It seemed apparent that Gimli knew it too for the Dwarf thrust the Elf's body into a savage embrace, pulling him chest to chest, heart to heart with his own body, whispering, "No…"

Legolas started. An alarm went off in his mind. The degree of emotion in Gimli's plea shook him and he felt profound remorse at the sound of it. This was not right! All other few words Gimli had spoken seemed separate and removed from the place he now held. But this word, this simple 'No' had claimed his attention. He heard it as if it were spoken directly into his ear and it touched a place in Legolas' soul that seemed forgotten. Sympathy rose up within him as he realized his friend's pain in that plaintive cry. It was not something he had considered much, the pain Gimli would have to endure on his behalf, and suddenly all the months of agony he had experienced seemed so little in comparison to the raspy moan of his friend. Had his own self-pity overshadowed the despair of Gimli? Legolas loathed himself at the thought of this selfishness. He had been told to fight! And yet here lie his body gasping for sweet air, and he had betrayed it. He had betrayed his friend! I should have fought harder, he thought. I should have seen what he would experience! Pity and contempt grew strong in his soul as he witnessed the torment of the Dwarf in his anguish, and he heard an unrelenting wail escape Gimli's lungs. That mourning lament sent a shocking wave of new energy through the Elf and he used it to drive himself back into his hollow body. Agonized by the torturous sobs of his friend, he was no longer a part of impartial observations. Everything within him fought his spatial presence. Gimli was in pain and the sound of the Dwarf's cry filled him with a torrent of rage! It was the impetus he needed to fight. His cause was now greater than his own survival. Gimli needed him! No doubt would the Dwarf grieve, but Legolas now knew that that grief would evolve into a sickening that could end the old soul of his friend. He had to find a way to stop it! He had to save Gimli from this cruel end. He longed more than anything to console his friend, to somehow make his suffering end. He understood now the words that had been offered to him in dreams and in wakefulness. He was told to fight for a reason! He should not succumb easily! He felt his mind's fury latch onto his body, and he angrily roared in his thoughts, I will not give in! I WILL NOT!

Gimli's arms were about him, no longer a distant feeling but tangible, real, brutal. The fierceness of the Dwarf warrior's strength pinned the two bodies together and Legolas felt the press of all barriers, be they fabric or clothing or ornament, firmly pushed into his skin. The Dwarf's hands grasped him hard and he felt bruising in the areas where the clasp was tightest. At a place near his heart, he felt a hard object crush against him and he grew conscious of a burning sensation there. He knew his mind raged and he used it to draw strength, but there was another presence that aided him in his toil not to die. His mind filled with a new light from the stars, and as he fought, the blinding whiteness overwhelmed him. Heat slowly rose in his chest and the temperature at the core of his body radiated outward, filling his veins. His lungs responded by pressing for greater needs, and mysteriously they complied. He felt unsteady strength in his limbs. The light still blinded his mind. With vague power available, he lifted his hands weakly and touched Gimli's shoulder.

The Dwarf jumped back in surprise, gasping in shock, and his release on the Elf was suddenly gone. Legolas fell limply backwards against the bed as Gimli bowed over him, unsure what to do.

Legolas fought on, but his anger leveled and he felt weakness once again invade his body. His eyes met the Dwarf's in confusion, unsure if reprieve were being met and knowing death still lingered near. As if cut off from his will, his lungs groped for air, and Legolas knew again he was dying. His body was failing and no amount of determination seemed able to ward off his fate. Grimacing in pain, fright took hold of him as he fought again to find the power that had brought him back. Gimli drew in closer, panic seizing his features as this nightmare continued. Legolas' eyes furtively glanced about as his lungs made sucking, rasping gasps. His head flailed about, searching for a clue, though he did not know of what to look. He had to hang on! He needed to find his strength! Somehow it had been stolen from him!

And then he saw it. His eyes clung to it. There before him lay simple beauty, the crystal charm that was Galadriel's gift, resting at Gimli's chest. Legolas' eyes fixed hard on the stone, noticing the unusual quality that seemed to pervade it more than ever. He remembered the heat that had risen in his chest when he had been pressed in the Dwarf's embrace. He wondered, as he brought his shaking hand up to touch it, desperately hoping his thoughts were true. His fingers brushed the pendant and the effect was immediate. The stone came alive! A slow heat radiated into his soul, light filled his mind, and he felt subtle power come back to him. It was weak, but it was sufficient to let him live, for now. This pendant was a channel of energy. It had the power to pull him from the precipice of death, even if only temporarily.

Invariably, the stone had always had a mildly incandescent quality, but now it shone far more radiantly! Fire danced in the crystal, and it cast ribbons of shimmering light off the Elf's face and it flickered in his eyes!

Gimli looked down at the pendant, gasping as he saw the new effect brought off by it. He wrapped his hand around the Elf's, which in turn held the stone, and a brighter light radiated from within their palms. Legolas felt another small wave of energy reach him. He looked up at the Dwarf, unable to speak, misty tears gracing his eyes as he felt encouraged by the change that was made. New contact was made between them, and this time Legolas felt confident that his spirit was alive. He sighed in a shaking breath, and closed his eyes in appreciation of finding the means to stay alive.

He was alive, and breathing, though the sounds of it came in frail pants. He was far from being well. He was infinitely weak, and he doubted much he could speak, but he was aware of his surroundings and most definitely his friend, and this was a great improvement over what his condition had been. Back now in his body, Legolas remembered the agony of his companion and he silently vowed he would fight to keep living. He would not let Gimli suffer. He was certain that was why he was now here. It was for Gimli's salvation, as well as his. Legolas looked into the Dwarf's eyes, and pledged his gratitude for all that had been done on his behalf. The Dwarf softly smiled back and brushed away tears from the Elf's face as he pulled his friend closer to his heart. He seemed uncertain as to what to make of the change though it mattered not in Legolas' mind. He would not let Gimli down. He knew what he must do.

As if in response to the challenge brewing in his mind, a light grew brighter around the two figures. He turned his head away from Gimli to see what was bringing it. A vision approached. He lie awed at the sight, for it was Galadriel in ethereal wonder. Light radiated from her being and she shone like a star. Her brilliance illuminated the scene all about her, and Legolas had to fight the blaze in his eyes at the glory of her being. Sighing at her beauty, he turned to see the Dwarf's reaction and was saddened to realize the vision was his alone. Gimli did not share it. The Dwarf continued to watch only the Elf with eyes that conveyed concern. "Legolas?" he whispered.

Legolas turned his gaze back on the otherworldly figure, and his eyes followed her as she circled the bed on which he was cradled. After one complete circle, she came to a stop, and she slowly and gently lowered herself to sit. She was merely inches away, and yet he perceived that she was not really there, for the illusion of her was transparent, though she seemed aware of everything there.

Twisting his eyes toward the Dwarf, he felt compelled to let Gimli know that they were not alone. It did not seem fair to the Elf that he should see this, and Gimli should not. His voice was barely a whisper, but the Dwarf held him close and he heard Legolas' words, "Galadriel is here…"

Gimli glanced up, tearing his eyes about, but alas, he could not see her. Yet to Legolas' eyes, her face was only inches away.

The Elven ruler smiled knowingly down on Legolas and at last she spoke. He could not help but close his eyes at the melody of her voice as it echoed in both his ears and his mind. "Child of Ilúvatar, you have fought a long fight. Your place has been held in the Undying Lands and you are to be honored there. Why do you not part? Surely your heart has told you. Your time has come to leave Middle-earth."

Legolas gazed at her as he pondered his answer. With great effort, he whispered his answer, barely audible, pausing to gain air in small sips as he spoke, "My Lady…surely you know why I tarry… It is not for want of trying. My heart says to leave… and I have yearned to follow." He gasped as he went on. "But I am torn by my love of Middle-earth. I cannot be parted…from my friendships…I am sundered by my heartbreak."

Galadriel smiled kindly, taking in his weakened state with sympathetic eyes. She reached out and touched his face. He felt the warmth of her hand. She said with softly uttered words, "Dear Legolas. Many pleas have there been for your salvation. We have heard, and wish to remedy. To all, it is tragic that someone of valor and esteem should suffer a fate that was not of his own make. Your circumstances were set into motion by the will of a greater power. But your suffering was not foreseen. It was not expected. And for that, your heart shall be repaired, if that is what you desire. Speak now and tell us, what do you choose to have done?"

He had no voice. The little he said had all but drained him, but he fought to hold his resolve. His eyes were pressed closed in an attempt to regain himself, but even with eyes shut, he could still plainly see her.

In his mind's eye he saw a vast scene, no longer in the garden, but in a larger space overwhelmingly made up of light. There was Galadriel in solid form, and on the edges of the periphery, he sensed further figures, though their shapes were hazy and mingled in with the brilliance about them. He wondered who else watched them, but knew their identities would likely not be known.

Legolas saw deep into her eyes and felt the power within her. He knew any desire he had to live she could, and would, grant. And he longed to deliver the words that would give him this gift. But he felt the stone in his hand, and the Dwarf's fist over his own, a hand gently stroking his brow, and he turned his mind back to his friend. Opening his eyes, he looked up at Gimli. The Dwarf appeared confused and afraid, searching around him for help. "Legolas?" Gimli mouthed the word, looking fearful that the Elf was leaving again.

Seeing Gimli's new fright, the outrage that had consumed Legolas on his friend's earlier behalf returned to him, and he ignored his awe for Galadriel as he thought out an answer. His brow pressed in determination which left him feeling weak in its wake. My friend…I cannot cast him aside. I desire his friendship along with my life! I would choose not leave him. I will not go unless he goes! Let me bring him! he responded in thought, and he knew that she heard.

Galadriel drew back, though the smile on her face did not recede. Her eyes brightened, as if she were pleased with his answer. She purposefully glanced down as if considering his statement, then turned her eyes back on him. "What you ask is unheard of among the Eldar. Never has it been done. Valinor is not a home to Dwarves."

He grew angry at this answer. It did not seem fair. She had wanted to know of his wishes and he had told her. And now she refuted his desires by stating an obvious deterrent? He found it wrong that race should impede their way, and he would not give up easily to such a blithe comment. Gimli was his friend. It mattered not to Legolas that he was a Dwarf. Such simplistic discrimination seemed outrageous to the Elf when weighed to the vast wealth of Gimli's virtues. He grew agitated as he thought more clearly on this and found it difficult to believe she could conceive these meager thoughts!

He closed his eyes again, trying to preserve himself and also trying to calm his nerves. He felt injustice on Gimli's behalf, and he would not stand for it if he could. But he knew a fearsome demeanor would not win him favor. He drew in air and tried to stay his ire. When at last he could control his mood and his breath, he turned to Galadriel and heard his mind say, The Undying Lands are not home either to Periannath, but exceptions have been granted. Then he paused for a moment as his mind grasped a new direction. You say a place of honor is held for me. Has he done any less than I have? Why should he not also be honored? Is he not a Child of Ilúvatar? Fire burned in his eyes, but Legolas felt the voice of his mind remain calm.

Galadriel's eyes looked up at the Dwarf with affection. "He is a Child of Aulë."

Legolas' internal voice grew stronger as his furor rose. And Ilúvatar as well! His actions are just and his role has been as noble as mine, if not more. Do not punish him because he is not of Firstborn! In his heart, he is better than most of my kind! He is Elvellon to me, as he should be to all of our race!

Galadriel grew quiet as she contemplated her next words. She reached out to where Gimli's hand held the Elf's, but she did not touch, allowing her hand to hover over his. Then, as if hesitating, she drew it back. At last she said as she looked down on Legolas, "And if he should not wish to go?"

Legolas considered looking again at the Dwarf to find his reassurance, but he could not know that it was really there. He had asked so much already of his friend, he could not dare to ask more. Leaving Middle-earth was Legolas' destiny, not the Dwarf's. He was grieved to admit it, but in his mind, he did not think Gimli would choose to go, not without considering Legolas in his feelings first, and that would be wrong. He knew what the Dwarves said of the Elves longing for the Sea. He did not want to be the motive of Gimli's choice. And he did not want Gimli to be exiled by choosing friendship over kin. And so he could not bare to look on Gimli's face, and instead answered this, I would not dare speak for him. He knows his own mind. I only know, I wish to see him suffer no more. Steel his heart if he will not pass. Protect him from his misery. But do not steel mine. I would rather die of heartbreak than to lose the tenderness of my heart in those memories.

Galadriel face grew somber as she touched Gimli's hand. He blinked back and gasped as he saw her for the first time. Realizing he was gawking, his eyes immediately descended, not wishing to offend her with his direct gaze. But she reached out and touched his face in a gesture to raise his chin. He looked up at her and fully understood that his friend had spoken true. She was not a delusion or dream, but was truly there before him.

She spoke in an echoing voice, "Son of Glóin, your friend speaks well of you. We offer him a gift, a renewal of life, but he has refused to take it without concessions. What say you of this?"

Thrust as he was in the midst of debate, Gimli looked perplexed. He stared back at his friend's face. There were no clues in Legolas' countenance. Only noble, Elven pride was visible in eyes that would not look on him. Gimli looked up with uncertainly, "My Lady, you ask of my mind, and I am without reference, for I know not what he has told you. I will tell you this: I would not wish for him to suffer any longer. What he had endured is beyond sufficient, I would think. That he suffers at all is a testimony to his affinity for love. And that he should have affection for one so humble as a Dwarf speaks much for his ability to overcome pride! I am proud to share friendship with one so moral. Is this what you seek to learn from me?"

"In a way, it is. I am pleased that you put him above yourself. But you must be more considerate. Do you not have feelings for yourself, fair Dwarf? How do you come out this endeavor?"

Gimli considered this, shaking his head at the futility. "I know I am pained by his injuries, I will not deny, almost as much as if I were to experience them. And if either he should die, or should part over Seas, my heart would be anguished all the same." Gimli looked down again at Legolas, a pained look growing on his face, but still the Elf did not meet his eyes. Gimli's eyes took on a slight sheen and his voice grew thick as he spoke, "He is very dear to me. I would greatly miss the mirth he brings me and the challenge he contends with my mind. I would miss his light, and laughter, and courage, and I think life may grow dim in his shadow. I cannot think beyond that, nor do I wish to. I suppose my own death will be only too imminent, but I will not forecast it. That would be far too painful."

Galadriel's face grew stoic and then she glanced sidelong at the Dwarf, "Yet you have more that you would ask. I perceive it. You have greater desire and yet you choose not to say it. The moment is passing. Speak of it, Gimli, whilst it is still available to you."

Gimli kept his eyes cast down, and looked self-conscious under her scrutiny. Sniffing back regret, he answered, "I fear to ask for it, for you read well my mind. You would know my motives are not pure."

"We shall judge your purity. Speak!"

Gimli flinched at the force of her words. He grimaced as he thought on his answer, "I would want it for selfish reasons! I would want to follow, but not for the reasons I should!"

Legolas turned to the Dwarf in surprise, eyes growing wider. What was this Gimli was saying? He wanted to go...

Galadriel's voice was no longer sweet, but commanding. "Explain yourself, Son of Glóin."

Gimli stammered out his response, "I feel these inquiries are to know the intent of my heart. But…but, you already know that. I…I am ashamed to admit I would wish to follow – only because I would do so for my sake as well as his. I would be pleased that the results would benefit him. But should I not want this for his sake alone?"

Legolas could not conceal his shocked expression. He shook his head in stunned disbelief and blinked his surprise.

Gimli gazed down on him, but did not understanding the emotion behind the expression. The Dwarf's face grew ever more dark as he said, "I am sorry, my friend."

The Lady raised her chin high and proudly she said, "This trial does not hinge on your failings, but on your true feelings. What are your thoughts on how your kin would regard you? Why do you go against their opinion?"

Still mired in guilt, Gimli paused in his thoughts before answering carefully. With eyes shut he spoke as if in shame, "It is said among my people that Elven longing is a failing of the Eldar. The land of the Valar is scoffed at, as if myth. But in fairness, I can only speak for myself. I believe their comments are driven more by jealousy than by true scorn. My people do not know what I have learned of the Elven folk. They have not seen what I have seen. They do not know the appreciation of beauty gifted onto the Elves, as I do. If they could see through my eyes, they may well understand why I would choose to live in a land unknown, even if it means going so far as to risk a myth."

Her eyes sparked as she said, "And why would you do such a thing, Master Dwarf?"

Gimli smiled and looked down, as if he had a secret only they shared. With small pride, he answered, "You wished it upon me, Lady. You said it to me at our parting in Lorien, 'Your hands shall flow with gold, and yet over you gold shall have no dominion.' And so it does not. I am unique to my people in that I do not dwell on wealth and abundance. But not unlike my kind, beauty most surely does rule me and I can say I have a greater love for it because greed does not corrupt me. That was your influence. And now I cannot think of a place where beauty would have greater power than in the lands of the Valar, where grace and elegance such as yours resides. These are my reasons for wishing to go, Lady. I know they are wrong. I would go for him, true, but most also for myself," Gimli said with a bow to his head, looking dismally sad for this answer.

With that Galadriel laughed, and the sound robbed the Dwarf and Elf of their breath at the sheer magnificence of the noise. With a knowing smile she said, "Most deeds done are usually for personal gain, Gimli The fact that you would be given something you desire, and your friend would flourish for it, is still a heroic gesture. Do not belittle your own wishes Son of Glóin. They have greater value than you may realize. Legolas spoke the same for he would not desire something of you were it not your wish as well. You have both passed the test."

Forgetting himself, Gimli stiffened as dignity caught up with him. "Test? What test would that be?" Gimli asked gruffly.

The lady smiled, "Your feelings were to be proven pure before your wishes could be granted. The questions asked unto you were from your own minds," she stared at each of them intently, "Your own thoughts. You purged your own prejudices without influence. You have grown wiser as a result of your friendship and your love for each other has cast away any doubts you may have once held. You are free to make your choices now. They will be granted freely, without judgement."

Gimli looked at Legolas and saw beaming eyes. Smiling back in sheer disbelief, he turned his gaze upon Galadriel, making contact with her at his own initiation. "Lady," he said as his voice broke, "if you will allow it, I would ask." His sparkling eyes penetrated hers. "Let me be companion to him. I choose to follow him to the Undying Lands and stay there for however long my time with him may be granted."

Galadriel's face shone brilliantly. She said, "So it shall be, Gimli, Son of Glóin. You will be honored in Valinor as a member of the Fellowship, for your role was most significant in the salvation of Middle-earth, and you fought bravely against Shadow. For that you will be revered most highly. And also as Elvellon for your love of our kind."

Then Galadriel drew her attention back to Legolas as she said, "And you, Legolas, Son of Thranduil, would you choose to go, now that Friend Gimli has given his choice?"

Smiling as much as his weak body could muster, he murmured out, "I would very much wish to go."

With this said, she pulled his hand away from Gimli's, directing the Dwarf to ease the Elf back down onto the bed. He drew away as she bowed before Legolas. The younger Elf's face grew pale as the contact was broken, but his color was regained again as she placed her hand at his heart. He softly closed his eyes to her contact, but quickly flashed them open again as he flinched from an unseen wave of energy coursing through him. A gasp and moan slipped away from him at the might of her power as furious heat overtook his body. Shocks of vigorous light crossed his mind and he held his breath, feeling overwhelmed with sensations. Slowly, his body relaxed as the pulsating waves of new life became familiar to him and he closed his eyes to take it all in. Warmth pervaded his tingling limbs and all aches and tender pains slipped away from him dreamily. He felt the weight of her hand press him down, while all the rest of his body felt light and buoyant. Slowly the light about her drew away, and as it did, he found he breathed more deeply, and color rose into his cheeks. A smile crept across his face though his eyes were still closed. He felt whole.

Stroking her hand to his chin in a gesture to wake, he opened his eyes and looked at her. She held out her hand and he took it, and she helped him rise in order to kneel before her. At the direction of her eyes, Gimli did the same. But not before the Dwarf stole a glance of pleasure toward his friend's return. Then she placed one hand at each of their temples and she said, "You are healed now Legolas, and there is no longer an impediment for you to go onto your shared journey. I will give you both knowledge on how this task is to be done." She closed her eyes and the garden melted away, transporting them to a land they had never before known.

In Legolas' mind, it was almost of music and it had an effect on him like cuivëar in its weightless quality. The exception however was great, as his memory was not wiped clean from its transport and the lingering feeling of euphoria did not recede when the dream was lifted away. Far more than that, he retained everything he perceived, and his senses were keenly alerted to every detail of the vision she delivered. And as he listened, saw and felt, the light around him grew brighter. Brilliant it became until he was blinded to everything but its whiteness. Ground and space were lost, and he fell back into it as he let it consume him.

****

Gimli awoke to morning light on his face. He blinked at its brightness, almost forgetting the dream, but nearly as instantly remembering. He jerked upright and cast about him to regain his knowledge of where he lay. He sighed sadly as he realized he was in the garden still, propped up against the bed. Legolas lay, still nestled in the cocoon of this bed, unruffled and unchanged by any activity. Everything looked just as it had been. Gimli shuddered and shook his head. The nightmare was still with him.

And yet the dream had seemed so real. Somehow, he had felt he had left, as if he had gone somewhere far, far away. As he thought on it more, he realized it had been a great adventure. A remarkable dream, he and Legolas had sailed over the Sea together. Galadriel had been there, and his friend had been cured! His throat became choked at how happy he remembered being in the dream, knowing at last that there could be joy for them both again. He wanted to cry for the loss of it, for now he was bereft in the realization that none of it had been true. They still remained in the garden, Legolas was still ill, and nothing had changed.

He gathered his legs to arise while more of the dream came to him. Gimli's brow creased. His friend had been near death, and the fright of that moment seemed poignant and fresh. A shiver ran down his spine. New fear took hold and something made him worry that this part of the dream had been real. He looked over at Legolas, for an instant panicked that his death had been fact, but saw the rise and fall of his friend's chest in innocent slumber. Sighing with relief, he gathered near, still mourning the lost happiness of that dream. Nothing was altered. He would see to what he could in attendance to the Elf, much as he always did.

Something was different. As he drew closer to Legolas, his hands began to shake. Legolas was changed! Though placed exactly as he had been the night before, the Elf's appearance had improved! His skin was flushed with color, and his tone had a luminous glow. The hollows beneath his eyes were faded and his breathing was steady and full. Shock set into Gimli's face, as his mind blurred at the possibility. Could the dream have been real? Ecstatic chords rang through his heart and a brief yelp of joy swept past his lips!

And as Gimli shook with pure joy, Legolas blinked himself awake. Meeting the Dwarf's face, he smiled genuinely with eyes that were clear and unglazed. Legolas' being shone brightly of spirit. Tremendous relief clutched at Gimli's throat and he gushed out a cry as if his heart would burst. All fears were dashed! Joy spilled from his eyes as he wrapped his friend in his embrace, not even waiting to see how much strength the Elf possessed.

Legolas laughed with reciprocating pleasure. The sound was like music. He returned the hug with fervor. Then pulling away, Legolas looked fondly at his friend as he breathlessly said, "It was real, Gimli…it was real!"

Unable to speak for the lump in his throat, Gimli nodded vigorously. Then Legolas looked thoughtful, and he said in a low voice, "We will need a name for the boat. I have been dreaming of it. I think we should call her Gwend Alfirin."

Gimli's eyes sparkled and he smiled, for he understood the words. Silently he agreed, as he would many more times throughout the coming months. The need to exchange words on the subject of the journey would not be required for them. They already had a clear understanding of each others mind and thoughts, and the name of the ship was easily defined for them as well. Gwend Alfirin. Friendship Immortal.

TBC

Well we knew how this story would end, so don't feel bad that we are quickly coming to it. But I am not quite done yet. One more chapter, plus an epilogue to go…the final departure…a gift bequeathed…and a small glimpse into the future.

Don't forget to review please. It keeps my heart beating too.

 

Periannath

Elvellon – Elf-friend, often given as a title of honor and respect to peoples, such as the Dunedain and the ancient Númenóreans, who have proven their allegiance to the Elves. Reference The Silmarillion, by J.R.R.Tolkien.– Hobbits





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List