Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Cry of the Gull  by Ithilien

 Disclaimer: You know the routine. None of this is mine. All Tolkien's.

A/N: Well if you were lost in the last Chapter, let's do a little refresher. In "The Two Towers," Gandalf delivered a message to Aragorn and Legolas from Galadriel in which she tells Aragorn to remember The Paths of the Dead. To Legolas she sends warning to beware of the call of the gulls as it would forever taint him. Later, in "Return of the King," Elrond also sends a message to Aragorn to remember The Paths of the Dead. Furthermore, an old prophecy foretold by Malbeth the Seer (dating back to Isildur's day) talked of the exiled king returning to the Paths of the Dead. All of that, plus his vision in the Stone of Orthanc, prompts Aragorn to ask his friends to ride with him. The conflict here is that The Path of the Dead goes along the road south near the shore. Aragorn appears to know this and we assume he would be able to put it together that he is endangering Legolas by asking him to come along. Obtuse perhaps, but it was very apparent to me when I read it. I always wanted to know why Aragorn would do that to his friend. Here's my take on it.

Chapter Three:  Conflicting Paths

Aragaon watched as Gimli stomped away. The dwarf was angry, and justifiably so. His friend had been harmed and Aragorn had had a part in it. Aragorn winced at the dwarf’s fury, shaking at his own loss for words, but pushed it back, trying to justify what had happened to Legolas. 'It was unavoidable. The elf prince had been fully aware of the danger. He undertook this mission of his own free will.' It did not help. Aragorn felt a deep pang of regret. He looked now at the remote face of his normally cheery companion. Legolas’ brow was creased as if caught in some internal monologue. With chagrin, Aragorn thought back to the discussion – argument really – he had had with the elf only days hence. 'If only he would have listened to me.'

***

The elf and dwarf were just a dozen paces ahead. They were preparing to turn in for the night at Dunharrow, a rest the entire company was relishing before the morning ride. They were removing their weapons, placing them at their quick ready should they need them in the night. They bantered the pros and cons of each others weapons as Aragorn stepped forward. It was time. Aragorn could not stall off his conversation with the elf further.

It did not escape Aragorn’s attention that just minutes before, he had been having a similar discussion with the Lady Eowyn. There was a certain irony in the fact that he was about to say nearly the opposite to his friend as he had to her.

Eowyn had come to him in near tears, beseeching him not to take the Paths of the Dead. It wrought her with fear and despair and she mourned their parting for she saw no light in it. Aragorn’s role had been to console her, assuaging her misgivings by convincing her he took this course out of duty and honor. Her path, he reminded her, was paved from the same merits. But she was right in one matter– his companions rode with him more out of love than for duty. Aragorn knew this. Now he must either spurn that love or see a close friend suffer.

He poised himself. "Legolas. May I speak with you?"

"Of course," the elf answered. Gimli gave him a sidelong look as if to say, 'And what is this about?' Legolas responded with a half smile and shrug, as if answering, 'I will tell you later if there is anything to tell.'

The dwarf removed himself to the tent which served as their quarters. Aragorn motioned Legolas to follow, bringing him further away to an area where their privacy was more assured.

Legolas sensed his friend’s tension. He spoke first, "What say you, Aragorn?"

Aragorn sighed, playing the course in his mind as he decided upon the tact to take. Looking up at last, he quietly spoke, "I have been thinking long on this journey we are about to take. It causes me worry and I have need to confess my concerns to you."

Legolas frowned and looked hard at his friend. "How long have you had doubts?"

"When we came upon the Burg and I looked into the Stone of Orthanc I saw the route that I was destined to take. I saw you and Gimli at my side and I asked you then to follow me, and you agreed. My heart was certain then, but as we have pressed on, a dread has been growing in me and now I hesitate. The Paths of the Dead do not bode well to me," Aragorn said.

With a soothing smile and a small laugh, Legolas replied, "As well you should have fear, my friend. Is this why you called me to your counsel? Your hesitation is normal, I think. How could it not be? For were it not true destiny that we followed, would we not be riding most certainly to our deaths?"

"That we would. You see my point then. I fear this is not our true destiny, Legolas. And being that, this journey may well be fateful for some. I begin to believe that the vision in the Stone was a lie," Aragorn answered.

Legolas frowned in confusion. He stared at the darkened face, trying to detect the source of this comment. While he had seen his friend doubt his own path before, never had he been so forthright about it. Legolas’ first impulse was to look for sorcery at play as Aragorn’s words were very unlike his character. He saw nothing that would give witchery credence. Was it possible that Aragorn’s fears were wrought from his own self-doubt? He decided he needed to cast down such reasoning. "I do not understand? What makes you believe the palantir lied?"

"The palantir only reflected the visions that were in my own mind. What I saw was of my own make and choosing," Aragorn answered.

'He is tired,' Legolas thought. 'He needs rest. A night of sleep will ease his uncertainty.'  "So you created in your mind the path we are now to take?" Aragorn did not answer. "Why would you do this Aragorn? I can not believe you would purposely put us on a path of danger unless it need be so."

Aragorn shot a hard look at the elven prince. "I did not put us here so much as I believed that we needed to go here. This idea was planted, long ere I, or even you, were born. I think the falsity comes from its source. I think Malbeth was wrong."

Legolas’ brow furrowed as his eyes grew wide in realization of Aragorn’s words. He nearly scoffed his reply, "You doubt the vision of Malbeth the Seer? For what reason? Has there been a prophecy of his that has not been fulfilled?"

Aragorn turned away, trying to hide the slight smile that edged the corners of his mouth. It was a ludicrous answer but he needed it to bait the other. "There is always a first time, my friend."

Clearly angry now, Legloas retorted, "Do not mock me. No! You are wrong! There is no doubt here, for the seer’s prophecy will hold true! What is this fear you have? You are the appointed one, Aragorn, son of Arathorn, Heir of Isildur! You must travel this route. It is given to you to fulfill! There is no proof of ill-fate and if there is you must show me greater reason for it than these silly words! The Lord Elrond conferred this prophecy as did the Lady Galadriel. They are not known to advocate false rumor!"

Aragorn sighed deeply. He was almost there. He looked steadily at his fair friend. "So you would counsel me to continue my journey?"

"Yes, I would!"

"Even though it is wrought in a vision long since passed?"

"Yes!"

"Even though there is no proof, other than reputation, that it will come to be?"

"Surely, yes."

"And you trust the confirmation of this prophecy by the word of Elrond and Galadriel?"

"Most especially for that."

That was it. Aragorn saw his opportunity and braced himself for his next step. Laying his hands squarely on Legolas’ shoulders he said, "Then answer me now, when it is you who would advise me to heed the words of an ancient prediction – why do you choose not to heed the words of the prophecy regarding your own life?"

Legolas was taken aback. He had not expected this turnabout and realized now that he had been manipulated into a trap. His head spun at the words being lobbed and he was flustered for an answer. He pulled back from Aragorn’s grasp and worked his mind to keep his dignity intact. He was clearly flustered but feigned ignorance. "I would not know what you mean," he answered.

"Was it not prophesized that your peril was at hand if you followed a path that lead to the sea?" Aragorn said, taking a step closer.

"The two have nothing in common!" Legolas shouted.

"The two have everything in common!" responded Aragorn, his voice rising in equal measure.

Legolas fumed but did not answer.

Aragorn went on. "The Lady of the Wood sent word, specifically to you, Legolas, to beware the calling of the gulls. She said they would be your peril. Do not pretend it did not happen for I was there! You may not have known what the words meant then, but surely now you realize. Loathe that I say it, my friend – the path I take to fulfill my destiny crosses one that you have been warned not to take! Again, I say to you, why do you tempt fate?"

Legolas’ answer came quietly. "You do not know with certainty that this will come to pass."

"With certainty I know the Lady Galadriel does not advocate false rumor." Aragorn said, repeating the elves’ earlier argument.

"There is always a first time," Legolas parried back, snide in his answer and angry at his friend for his betrayal. Then turning and seeing Aragorn wince at the verbal blow, he recognized the concern in his friend’s eyes. He amended the cruelty in his voice. He did not wish to argue. Softly, he said, " What other course do I have, Aragorn?"

Aragorn looked closely at his friend and a brotherly affection rose in him. Truth be told, his motives were selfish. He keenly wanted to keep Legolas from this destiny. Ever since the ill-fated words of Galadriel had been delivered, he had felt their dread. He had not lied earlier when he had said this journey caused him worry. The course of the path he must now take lead directly to the sea. Should he follow, Legolas’ fate was surely sealed. Many times now, Aragorn has seen the effects of the ’sea-longing,’ the cuivëar, ‘For one who lives amongst elves cannot help but to see,’ he thought. He knew it was an affliction, incurable once caught, that could not go long unchecked. There were stories of those drawn to madness by it. Still, others told of elves, so broken-hearted by the ripping of their soul that they died at the mere onset. Furthermore, Legolas was a wood-elf of the Moriquendi: his plight would be doubly worsened, 'Like that of a man exposed to an illness for which he has no immunity.' Aragorn did not want to lose his friend to this malady. ‘Not him too.’ He had seen the effects in his siblings, Elrohir and Elladan, his foster elven brothers. He knew the depths of despair they sank to whence it came on – though being Noldor in descent, they had learned to mask it to all but those who knew them best. It made Aragorn shudder to think of that pain reflected in Legolas, for a part of the beauty in this younger elf was his innocence. Legolas would never be the same. Days, months, perchance years of time would be lost to the private introspection that no other could breech. If the prophecy was met, then Legolas would be haunted through the rest of his days in Middle Earth, held captive by visions unattainable, increasing ere so long he stayed. Many elves fled to their long-appointed home across the sea whence this time came, never to be seen on Middle Earth again. Aragorn mourned this, for very few were there that could master their pain to live long with it. As such, Aragorn prayed that he could turn his friend away from this catastrophic event.

Aragorn allowed a full minute to pass before he answered. He too did not wish to argue. "You could remain here whilst the company departs in the morrow. Theoden King will be returning in yet a day and he will have need for talents such as yours. Your skill as a warrior would not go to waste."

Legolas thought hard on this. He knew what his answer must be, but still he allowed the idea to work itself through his head. He looked up and said, "And what of Gimli? I cannot speak for him, but I fear you may loose his allegiance if I did not go. You would not lose one warrior on this quest but perchance two. Your numbers are small as it is Aragorn. Would you risk the safety of your company by letting your numbers diminish further?"

"If I could do this alone and risk none in my company, I would. Nowhere has it been foretold, but if in losing your presence I risk my success, then I say so be it. I would take these measures to save your soul."

Legolas looked down, grasping the magnitude of Aragorn’s words. "That would not be prudent counsel." Gazing up, he stared into Aragorn’s gray eyes, "Your burdens are great, Aragorn. The fate of many lie with you, and I am certain many will die keeping your honor. But be they man or elf, they would choose it of their own free will. Do not presume to tell me my choice. To be true, one must decide his fate alone, regardless of destiny."

Aragorn knew now Legolas’ decision and he felt heat rise in his throat. "And if I were to stop you?"

"I would find a way to follow, or die trying."

"You choose to succumb to something I do not wish" Aragorn’s voice quavered.

"It is not yours to choose," Legolas replied.

Feeling overwhelmed, Aragorn turned away, his shoulders sagging in defeat.

Legolas went on, coming up behind the dark king and placing a hand on his shoulder. "I can no more sway destiny than you, my friend. I know this peril, and yet I choose to face it. The sea-longing will come, soon or late, whether I will it or not. I will be usurped by it one day, despite all efforts to hinder it."

Aragorn would not be appeased, so Legolas continued. "I cannot heed your advice to stay away. I know my life is in peril. Who amongst us can say theirs is not? But peril has been with us from the first day we set off from Imladris. None has turned back and I do not intend to be the first. Further, there is a place in my heart that tells me my role is not complete and to leave now would be fateful to you. As you would sacrifice your mission to save but one elf, I would sacrifice my soul to save a mission great as yours. Yours has the greater value, can you not understand that?"

Aragorn looked up at the sky though he still did not turn. "I understand, but I do not agree."

Legolas smiled. "Then let us agree to disagree," he said clapping the other on the back. Then standing at his side, gazing also up into the sky, he said, "Do not mourn me, Aragorn. I am not dead, and may not be for a long time yet." Jabbing his friend in the ribs he laughed, "Although we may be soon if we do not seek rest."

Laughing in turn, Aragorn looked at the princely elf, then turned sober, "Do you not have fear?"

A small frown formed on Legolas’ lips as he answered. "There was a time, once, when I considered parting, due to fear. After Caradhras. At the Doors of Moria. My heart hesitated at that dark gate, and I was uncertain of my steps. Yet, I pressed my faith and I pushed onward, though fate was not good to all amongst us. Still, in the deepest depths of that ebony place, I detected the measure of our partnership. It’s value soon became rich to me as it occurred in my mind that our skills were of complement to one another, almost like the voices of a choir. They filled the emptiness of that space and drew away any fears I then had. Since that time, whenever I have felt fear, I need only look upon my companions to feel it diminish and have pride and love resonate in its place. I will not leave my place in this theme we have created, for that sound would be hollow."

With that Legolas stifled a yawn. "It grows late, my friend. I do not wish to think on this further. I recommend you put it from your mind as your concern is noted, but unneeded." He turned and walked away.

Aragorn remained for a time longer, looking again at the stars, saying a silent prayer for the strength of his fair companion.

As he barked out orders to his men, readying them for the battle they were about to undertake, he looked across the camp to where Gimli now stood next to the still figure of Legolas. A running dialogue was streaming from the stocky dwarf as he pretended to sharpen his axe, but it appeared no acknowledgement or motion was forthcoming from the elf.

Aragorn noticed that Elrohir and Elladan also watched this scene from a few paces off, pretending too to ready themselves, tightening their packs upon the horses. It gladdened him to know they were near and aiding his friend, though he had not asked it of them. Shaking his head, he thought, 'If I should live to be five hundred years, I will never figure out elven society.They scorn physical weakness and pain, especially in one of their own. But in matters of the heart they feel tremendous empathy, especially when it comes from one of their own. It is a puzzle I will never unravel.'

Turning now to face the matters that lie ahead, Aragorn called one last meeting with his captains. For now at least, he was assured that Legolas was in good hands.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List