Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The White Horse and the White Banner  by Chigger

Chapter 12 – Are You Sure?

It had been several weeks since the battle and Ceorl had returned to his friend Eorl’s room once again. He was having the Prince teach him the basics of reading and writing, for, though they were good friends, both felt it would be better if Ceorl could write his own letters to Hirilian in the future. They were interrupted in the middle of a lesson by the door swinging suddenly inward upon them. Guiltily they stared up at their visitor. Lady Hirilian crossed the threshold and closed the door behind her. She had eyes only for Ceorl, not even bothering to give her cousin a glance from her shining eyes.

"Elfwyn told me where to find you," she stated quietly by way of explanation. "I must speak with you."

Ceorl stood and she crossed to him. "What do you wish to speak to me of, my Lady?" he asked gently, taking her hands in his own.

"In your letter you expressed great love for me and yet when we are together you say nothing."

"My friends," Eorl said, closing the book before him as he stood, "it would seem that two is a company and three is a crowd. I shall leave you to yourselves."

So captivated were they, they never even heard him. Shrugging slightly, he left silently, pulling the door gently shut behind him.

"What would you have me say?" Ceorl inquired, his gaze tracing the contours of her face as she looked earnestly up at him. Her eyes were bright with pain, confusion and some deeper emotion which Ceorl could not, dared not, decipher.

"Anything. You speak very little, giving all your attention to my family and friends."

"My apologies, my Lady," he declared with a small bow. "I did not realize you wished for my attention. In the future I shall remember."

"Remember! Ceorl, you are the one who, supposedly a poor captive of love, wrote a heart-breaking letter full of feeling and emotion, and yet you must be told to so much as take notice of the woman to whom that letter was addressed! A! Elbereth! Why are men so nescient?"

Ceorl, unsure of his ground, kept his silence. She gazed sorrowfully up at him. "Oh, Ceorl, I am sorry. I should not have lost my temper, but a woman’s heart is a thing of strong emotions and not to be taken lightly."

"I assure you, my Lady, that I meant no disrespect and I would never take your feelings lightly. Every time we are together I am overcome with love and cannot bring myself to make petty conversation. Never have you entered the same room as I that I have not noticed. You are the light of my life, how can I help but notice when you illuminate the gloom of my existence with your presence?"

"If you have so strong a love, can you not recognize it in the actions of another? Or do you believe yourself the only one capable of feeling such emotion?"

"What do you mean?" he asked haltingly, feeling her hands slowly slide their way up his arms.

"Truly, my lord, your eyes are slow to see what your heart tells you. Can you not feel it?"

"Feel what, my Lady?" he asked, becoming uncomfortable as her hands entwined themselves in his hair.

In answer she lifted her face to his and their lips met and clung.

Ceorl, though gloriously happy, was the first to break the embrace. Pulling back gently he gazed down at her. "Are you sure?" he asked hoarsely, his breath coming in ragged gasps.

"Yes! Never have I felt as I feel now! You have filled my heart to the point of overflowing. I long only to be near you, to feel your arms about me, to know you love me."

"I would never ask you to remain only for my happiness," he murmured softly into her hair as she laid her head on his chest. "It will be a different life. I cannot offer you the comforts you have known. It will be hard labor your entire life through, with rarely a rest of more than a day. You will have to manage the household; and if there are children, you must care for them without the help of servants."

"I realize what it would entail. I have not been raised a helpless maiden; my parents have taught me to work, and the raising of the children in the line of Lord Faramir has never been left to the servants or maids. You need not fear for me, dearest Ceorl, I can take what comes."

"Just the same, much as I want you for my wife, the decision must be left entirely up to you and your parents."

Hirilian smiled up at him. "Then, my lord, you must approach my parents, for my mind is already decided."

His faced paled slightly. "You are certain this is what you want?"

"For the final time, yes! I am sure. The more you ask me, the more I begin to doubt that you truly want me."

"There is nothing I want more," he assured her, "but I have entered battle with more courage than I have now at the prospect of addressing your parents."

"There is no need for worry, Ceorl, my love," she soothed him, caressing his cheek with the back of her hand.

He reached up and again took her hand in his own, kissing it gently. "Then, my Lady, let us leave our friend Eorl’s bedroom, for it is improper for you to be here, especially alone with me."

She smiled and slid her hand through his arm. "Very well, my lord, lead on."

~*~*~*~*~

Thank you Eomer and Grey Wonderer for your reviews.  I hope this chapter meets your approval.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List