Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 41. Home is Where the Hobbit Is

The next day, Odovacar and Rosamunda arrived in their coach, looking much as they had in the old days before the ruffians. The Cottons felt a bit shy, seeing them in their finery, but the Bolgers were as unaffected as ever and soon the Cottons relaxed again.

Packing up took less than a day, and after a farewell breakfast they were ready to depart. The Gamgees came down the Hill to share breakfast and see the travellers off, Samwise included, for he had not yet departed on his own journeying. The Cottons and Gamgees lined the steps as the Bolgers descended with a hug for each one.

’I do not know how I can ever thank you,’ Mistress Bolger said tearfully to Mrs Cotton. ‘You took us in; you saved our son’s life. We owe you so much.’

’Bless you,’ Mrs Cotton said, tears in her own eyes. ‘Any other hobbit would have done the same.’

Farmer Cotton pulled Odovacar Bolger aside. ‘If things do not go well...’ he began, then looked down, shuffling his feet.

’We are hoping for the best,’ Odovacar said. ‘My thanks for all you’ve done.’

Farmer Cotton met his eye once again. ‘If things do not go well,’ he said firmly, ‘you bring him back here. There will always be a place for him. It’s the least we can do, after what he gave for the Shire.’

Odovacar met his gaze for a long moment then nodded. ‘You have my thanks,’ he said again, holding out his hand. Farmer Cotton took hold and the two shook solemnly.

’Sealing bargains, are we?’ Freddy said, catching sight of the two as he descended the steps.

’Just making sure the good farmer ships his first waggonload of apples this year to Buckland, for your cousin Merry, with your regards,’ Odovacar said cheerily.

’Ah,’ Freddy said briskly. ‘There’s nothing like planning ahead.’ All laughed, remembering an earlier waggonload.

’I understand that Captain Merry is inordinately fond of apples,’ Farmer Cotton said.

’Yes, I had heard something to that effect,’ Freddy said. He held out his own hand to the farmer. ‘My thanks,’ he said simply.

Farmer Cotton took the hand, held it for a moment. ‘Be well, lad,’ he said quietly.

Freddy nodded without speaking, hugged Mrs Cotton (“If you weren’t already married I’d carry you off, you know!”) and shook hands with each of the Cotton sons, Hamfast, and Samwise. He bowed over the hands of Rose and Marigold.

Estella said her farewells, hugging Mrs Cotton, nodding to the rest. She paused in front of Rose, looking to her parents. At her mother’s nod she smiled at Rose, holding out her hand. ‘I will never forget your kindness,’ she said softly. Rose impulsively hugged her; Estella stiffened then suddenly her arms went around Rose and she returned the embrace fiercely, whispering, ‘You have been the sister I always wanted.’ Marigold had a hug for Estella as well. ‘Goodbye, dear friend,’ Estella whispered in her ear.

Marigold’s arms tightened briefly. ‘Grace go with you, Tillie,’ she answered, and then stepped back.

’Well then,’ Freddy said loudly. ‘We had better depart or it’ll be time to stop for second breakfast and we shall never be off!’ Laughing, the Bolgers and lone Baggins climbed into the coach. The waving hobbits on the steps raised a song as the ponies started and the coach jerked into motion. They sang until the coach reached the end of the lane and then returned into the Cotton home for a restorative cup of tea.

The travellers made it an easy two-day journey, stopping over at a familiar inn half-way to Budge Ford. ‘Why, it’s as if the ruffians were never here!’ Estella exclaimed, seeing the jollity in the common room as they entered. Of course her parents took her to their own room, where they had a private supper, but Frodo and Freddy joined the crowd in the common room for a pint and a game of darts, returning very merry indeed.

’You’re right, midge,’ Frodo said, looking in on his way to the room he and Freddy shared. ‘The Shire seems to be recovering nicely.’ He and Freddy had a final cup of tea with Rosamunda and Estella and took themselves off to bed, looking quite fresh and relaxed.

The next day, they forded the Water about an hour before teatime. ‘Don’t look now,’ Odovacar warned his son as they drove through the little community by the Ford. Hobbits lined the streets, cheering and waving bright cloths.

’Greeting the Bolger?’ Freddy asked.

’Hardly!’ laughed his mother.

His father added, ‘Greeting the Bulge, you know!’ He was referring to the name the ruffians had given Freddy, much as his cousin Ferdibrand Took had been “the Fox” and Merimac Brandybuck, “the Badger”.

In fact, Freddy’s rebels were standing in a group before Budge Hall, even Budgie and Robin, who’d returned from Waymeet for the grand occasion. They sang a welcoming song as the coach pulled up before the manse, and as Freddy hopped out he was immediately surrounded by back-slapping well-wishers.

’Welcome home, Mr Freddy,’ old Oakleaf, the gardener said at last. He cocked an eye at the lowering clouds. ‘We had better get indoors before we’re soaked!’

’You’re right,’ Odovacar said, putting an arm around Freddy’s shoulders and turning towards the manse.

Being managed very nicely, Estella thought, catching Frodo’s eye and receiving a wink and a nod.

‘Everyone come inside!’ Rosamunda called. ‘We’re having a grand tea to celebrate!’ Laughing hobbits crowded inside, finding a lavish buffet spread in the great hall of the manse. Soon everyone was eating and drinking and talking at once, a grand sound, just like “old times”.

Freddy’s rebels surrounded him, protectively, Estella thought, though there seemed no need. Her brother was more animated than she’d seen him in months, so busy laughing and talking that he paid no mind to the food that was put before him.

During a lull in the conversation, Stony excused himself, returning with something long and slim, wrapped in a piece of cloth. ‘I took a little excursion to the Brockenbores,’ he said in answer to Freddy’s inquiring look.

Freddy untied the twine that held the cloth, unwrapping a heavy walking stick, several lines of marks scored neatly along the sides. ‘My old stick,’ he breathed.

Stony pointed. ‘That’s the mark you made, that last day, just before the ruffians smoked us out,’ he said. ‘You left it behind, thinking your parents might find it some day, have something to remember you by.’ He looked into the sober faces of Freddy’s parents. ‘I just thought you’d like to have it again, now that they won’t need it.’

’Thank you, Stonecrop,’ Freddy said formally.

’You’re welcome, Mr Freddy,’ Stony said. ‘I imagine ‘twas our raids on the ruffians' storeholes that kept my family, and others, from starving under the ruffians. And we couldn’t have done it without you.’

’They took us, in the end,’ Freddy said.

’They did, but you tricked them enough times. We’d’ve been in the Lockholes months earlier without your tricks, Mr Freddy,’ Rocky put in. The others murmured soft agreement.

Robin called suddenly in his clear voice, ‘A toast!’ The call was taken up by others, and the crowds of hobbits throughout the manse fell silent. ‘A toast!’ Robin shouted once more. Lifting his teacup, he added, ‘To the Bulge!’ The call repeated throughout the rooms of the manse, wherever knots of hobbits stood; teacups were raised, and all drank to Fredegar Bolger, who with his band of rebels had staved off hunger from stalking the hobbits of Budgeford and its environs.

’I... thank you all,’ Freddy said quietly, then held out his hands. ‘I could not have done it without these fine, brave hobbits!’ He raised his own cup. ‘To the rebels of Bridgefields!’ All drank, and then the gaiety recommenced.

The party lasted hours, but finally hobbits began leaving, those with animals and chores slipping out early, others following as darkness fell and the servants began to remove empty platters without replenishing them. Finally only Freddy’s rebels and their families remained. ‘Please join us for late supper,’ Rosamunda said. ‘It is such a happy occasion, I hate for the celebration to end just yet.’

The cook and her assistants had worked hard to make the tea and the supper that followed memorable. The food was delicious and plentiful, and the hobbits enjoyed more than one helping, with the exception of the rebels, who did not eat quite as much as the other members of their families did, and the rebel leader, who hardly ate a bite but laughed and talked throughout the meal.

Finally, Healer Finch spoke up. ‘I expect you are all tired from the long journey,’ he said, looking from one Bolger to another. ‘We thank you for your grand hospitality, but I think we must take our leave now.’ His family rose obediently, bowing to Odovacar and thanking him together. ‘It is good to have you home, Mr Freddy,’ Finch said. ‘I’ll be by on the morrow to see how you’re settling in.’

’No need,’ Freddy laughed. ‘As I did not drop dead when I crossed the threshold, I imagine there was nothing to the wizard’s words after all. He was a liar, you know, and his lies only harmed those who believed them.’ There was a murmur of agreement from the rest of the rebels, though Robin looked troubled.

Finch’s hand tightened on Robin’s shoulder. ‘That’s good to hear, Mr Freddy,’ he said. ‘I’ll be by on the morrow in any event, to take those splints off your hand.’

’That is good news!’ Freddy said brightly. ‘It will be nice to have two hands again!’

The rest of the guests rose and thanked the Bolgers, then filed out the door. Freddy stood by the door with a word and a hug for each.

’We made it, Mr Freddy,’ Robin said at the last. ‘They couldn’t beat us. But take care, please?’

’I always take care, Robin,’ Freddy said. ‘You take care of yourself, now. It is good to see you looking so hale and hearty again.’

’Thank you, Mr Freddy,’ Robin said. ‘Take care, now,’ he repeated. Estella was puzzled at his insistence.

’Good night, all!’ Rosamunda called. The Bolgers stood in the doorway, waving farewell to their guests.

’I’m tired; I think I’ll turn in,’ Freddy said with a yawn as he turned away from the door.

’Would you like a little something to eat before you retire?’ Rosamunda asked, winding an arm around her son’s waist.

’O no, I am so stuffed I could not eat another bite!’ Freddy said, patting his belly.

’Very well then, you get a good rest and we’ll see you at breakfast,’ his mother answered with a kiss for his cheek. ‘It is so good to have you home again.’

’It is good to be home,’ Freddy murmured, returning the kiss. She released him and he sought his bed.

***

’Where’s Freddy?’ Rosamunda asked the next morning as she sat down to breakfast.

’He took himself off early, said he wanted to visit some of his old haunts,’ Odovacar said.

’Did he eat?’ Rosamunda asked.

’No, he said he wasn’t hungry; he was still sated from all the celebrating we did yesterday,’ Odo answered.

’Ah well, we’ll make sure he has a good nooning,’ Rosamunda said.

Freddy, however, did not come home until after teatime, saying he’d been invited to lunch with old Oakleaf and his wife. ‘What a table they spread!’ he said. ‘I could not believe the variety of good food they laid before me.’ He neglected to mention that he’d been unable to manage more than a bite or two, for in his mind he thought somehow that he had eaten a full meal, and more.

Finch arrived shortly afterwards. ‘Are we ready to remove the splints?’ he asked.

’I don’t know about you, but I’m ready,’ Freddy answered.

’Very well; let us go into the study, there’s good light there,’ Finch said. Odovacar led the way.

As he removed the bandages, Finch said casually, ‘Are you eating well?’

’I cannot complain,’ Freddy said complacently. ‘You’d think it was snowing food and raining drink, the way they carry on hereabouts.’ His smile faded as his hand came into sight. ‘My word,’ he said softly.

’Try to move your fingers,’ Finch said, and Freddy complied, managing a twitch. ‘Good,’ the healer said.

’Good?’ Freddy echoed. ‘The hand looks terrible!’

’It would,’ Finch agreed soberly. ‘The muscles have wasted from being splinted all this time, and there was much damage done in the first place, as you know. I didn’t know if the nerves had been affected. That little bit of movement just now is a very good sign.’

’But—‘ Freddy said.

Finch picked up the hand, examining each finger, feeling the hand over carefully. ‘The bones have knit straight and true,’ he said, ‘and I don’t feel any damage to the joints. I’ll give you exercises to do to restore as much function as can be. If you’re faithful you ought to get back most of what you had to start with.’ He looked at Freddy. ‘Mr Freddy!’ he said sharply. When he saw he had Freddy’s attention, he said, ‘It looks awful, I know, but it’s a lot better than no hand at all, or the twisted claw you had before we re-set the bones.’

’Yes, Finch, thank you, Finch,’ Freddy murmured. He took a deep breath and set his shoulders. ‘Of course it’s better,’ he said bravely. ‘And I’m sure the exercises will help immensely.’

’They will,’ Finch maintained. ‘If the look of it bothers you, wear a glove. That would help to keep the hand warm, as well, while the weather remains cool.’

’Thank you, Finch,’ Freddy said again.

’Well then,’ Odovacar said, breaking in smoothly. ‘What do I owe you for this visit? A silver penny, I think?’

’That’s the going rate,’ Finch said, ‘though I’d settle for a glass of brandy.’

’It just so happens I have some here,’ Odovacar said. ‘The Brandybucks traded cases of the Hall’s finest for waggonloads of food. They’re running short, you know; they had no ruffians’ stores to fall back on.’ He shook his head. ‘They’re too proud to accept any gifts of food, but at least they have brandy to trade.’

’How about you, Mr Freddy? Will you take a glass with us?’ Finch asked.

’As a matter of fact, I thought I’d nap a bit,’ Freddy answered. ‘I tramped quite a ways today, looking about the neighbourhood, and I’m a bit tired.’

’Very well, Freddy,’ Odovacar said. ‘I’ll call you for late supper.’

However, when it was time for late supper, Odo looked in to find his son soundly asleep, and looking so tired that he didn’t have the heart to waken him.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List