Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea


Chapter 37. Standing Back-to-Back

Frodo returned as planned and was warmly greeted by the Cottons. After checking on Freddy he went up to Bag End where Samwise was going over the plans with the builders. The new row was coming along nicely, holes delved into the hillside now being lined with brick taken from the  ruffians’ demolished works.

’My old gaffer and Marigold ought to be able to move into Number Three by the end of the month!’ Sam said cheerily.

’Why that is good news, Sam,’ Frodo said. ‘Once Bag End is finished it’ll be nearly as it was. When did you think that would be?’

’They’re still sanding the woodwork, and there’s the floors to be done,’ Sam said. ‘It might be as much as two or three months, I’m sorry to say.’

’Don’t be sorry!’ Frodo said. ‘From what I saw when we came back, I’m amazed you were able to salvage the old hole at all!’

’It’s not me you should give the credit to, but Sandy Hollowbank and his crew of workers,’ Sam said. ‘A harder-working bunch I have yet to meet.’

’I’ll have to invite them all to the hole-warming,’ Frodo said. ‘Make sure you get every name.’

’That I will,’ Sam replied, thinking that Mr Frodo always did do things right and proper.

They walked down the Hill together at the end of the day, stopping off at the Ivy Bush for a pint with Sam’s old gaffer though they didn’t stay long. Mrs Cotton was quite punctual in her meals after all.

Supper was a cheery meal, with the Bolgers all together at table with the Cottons and Frodo and Samwise. Frodo noted that Sam talked easily with Farmer Cotton and his sons and was polite to Rose. There were no more stammers and blushes on his part, but no easy friendliness either, more a sense of waiting, perhaps even wariness. It seemed that Merry’s ploy had yielded the opposite result from the one intended, but Frodo had no idea how to mend matters.

After supper Frodo sat down with Freddy and the good farmer for a pipe and then the cousins walked slowly to Freddy’s bed. ‘I can manage from here,’ Freddy said dismissively and Frodo’s eyebrows went up.

’You are much improved in just a week’s time, cousin,’ he said.

’Yes, well, it is a new year after all,’ Freddy answered. ‘Swept all my troubles out the door, and all that.’

When Frodo peeked in later Freddy was in his night-shirt, under the covers, sound asleep. There was no watcher by his side.

Odovacar came up behind and Frodo turned. ‘No watcher?’ he whispered.

’He doesn’t want one,’ Odo said quietly. ‘He’s a hobbit grown, and I must respect his wishes.’

’Is he well?’ Frodo asked. He was disquieted by Odo’s hesitation.

’I hope so,’ came the answer at last. ‘I surely hope he is.’

Next morning Freddy slept until second breakfast. ‘That’s not unusual,’ Estella said. ‘Why, in the old days he’d stay abed until elevenses sometimes. Had to work hard at keeping up the impression he was an idler you know.’

When Frodo came in with his breakfast tray Freddy said, ‘Well then, cousin, how much writing did you do?’

’You are a harsh taskmaster, cousin,’ Frodo answered.

’I’d like to read it over breakfast if I may,’ Freddy said. ‘Give me something to do besides chew.’

’You’ll drip tea on it,’ Frodo said. ‘And that after I took the trouble to write down all that Ferdibrand could tell me about the Party and the Speech. You’ll spill your tea all over it and get it sticky with jam, no doubt.’

’Indubitably,’ Freddy replied calmly. ‘But of course I will find so much fault that you’ll have to write it all out again anyhow.’

’Thanks for the reassurance,’ Frodo said.

’Anytime,’ answered Freddy.

He actually had a few good suggestions which Frodo noted down for future revision, and then, setting the papers aside, Freddy fixed him with a stern eye.

’Give,’ he said.

’What, as if I’m a dog with a stick for you?’ Frodo asked.

’You know what I mean,’ Freddy said. ‘A quick post rider arrived here late on Last Day, from the Master of Buckland. What did he want with you?’

’Ah, Master Saradoc finally discovered it was me that lifted the silver cake server on my last visit,’ Frodo said. ‘He wanted it back, you see.’

’And did you give it back?’ Freddy asked.

’I couldn’t, for I’d used it to dig a hole to bury the silver spoons I lifted from the Great Smials,’ Frodo answered.

’You’d tell me if something’d happened to Merry, wouldn’t you?’

Frodo hesitated a second too long and Freddy pounced. ‘Aha! Something did happen to our magnificent little cousin! But what?’

’Freddy,’ Frodo said in a warning tone.

’You know I’m not one to gossip, Frodo,’ Freddy said. ‘Though I love to gather information, wild ponies could not drag it out of me. You know that! If something’s happened to Merry, you’ve got to tell me.’ He was honestly upset, Frodo could see, and fearing that worry might set Freddy back in his recovery he considered carefully, then spoke.

’You know that the four of us travelled together,’ he said.

’Yes, you left together and returned together,’ Freddy answered. ‘I cannot account for the middle of the journey however.’

’You are wise,’ Frodo said. ‘As a matter of fact, we were two-and-two for some time.’

’Yes?’ Freddy encouraged when Frodo fell silent.

’Merry and young Pip went through some horrific experiences,’ Frodo said slowly.

’You mean, the things Merry doesn’t want you to write about,’ Freddy said shrewdly. ‘What’s happened to him? Even if he were having nightmares, not uncommon after a scare—I had them for weeks after... Crickhollow—that’s not enough to warrant a quick post letter...’

’You’re right,’ Frodo said, and fell silent once again.

’So what is it? He’s gone mad from lack of sleep? What?’ Freddy pressed.

’He nearly drowned himself in the Brandywine,’ Frodo said softly. He held up a restraining hand. ‘No, not like that, Freddy. He’s been sleepwalking ever since he went back to Buckland and left Pippin in the Great Smials. Well the night before Last Day, he sleepwalked himself right into the River. Berilac only pulled him out just in time.’

’Sleepwalking... at least that means he’s been sleeping,’ Freddy said to himself, then to Frodo he added, ‘The icy water didn’t waken him to his senses?’

’No,’ Frodo answered. ‘And Pip’s been having screaming nightmares as well.’ He was quiet again, thinking, and Freddy waited. Finally he went on. ‘Coming home, we hobbits slept piled together for warmth and safety. If you had a nightmare,’ and Freddy looked more closely at Frodo, suddenly certain that this cousin suffered a good measure of disturbed sleep, ‘you’d waken with cousins all around, just as if you were little again, visiting relatives, and had been tumbled onto a big bed together like a litter of pups. It was comforting, like being a child once more, and a safe feeling. I don’t know how to explain it,’ Frodo said helplessly.

’I think I understand,’ Freddy answered softly, thinking of the safe feeling he’d had in the midst of the wizard’s dreams. Saruman had known of the hobbit custom of hand-holding and had poisoned that, turning comfort into torment. But the wizard hadn’t known about the hobbit custom of snuggling close, and Freddy’s relatives had used that to anchor Freddy to reality and a feeling of safety and peace.

’Anyhow, the Master and Thain and I decided that it would be best if the twain were not parted so soon or so suddenly,’ Frodo said. ‘As a result, they will be together for some time, either at the Great Smials or at Buckland or wherever they may travel, but together, the better to fight off the shadows of memory.’

’Ah,’ Freddy said. ‘When you stand with a comrade back-to-back against a foe, you cannot be stabbed in the back or taken by surprise.’ At Frodo’s surprised look he shrugged. ‘I admit to reading old tales,’ he said. ‘Lots of battles, y’know. Quite uncomfortable I’m sure. Better to read about it than to live it: for my part, give me regular meals and baths and a soft bed to sleep in.’

’O yes,’ Frodo said softly. ‘When you stayed behind at Crickhollow, I knew you were surely a creature wedded to comfort.’

Freddy looked at him in astonishment and then began to laugh. Frodo joined in the laughter, and Estella came in smiling. ‘Is this a hopeful sign? Do I get to read more of the Great Story?’

’Have at it,’ Freddy said. ‘It’s only Bilbo’s speech, up until the disappearance.’

’Oh,’ Estella said, affecting disappointment. ‘Well I’m sure, cousin, that you can accomplish much more now that you’re back here.’

’You’ve a whole month,’ Freddy put in, ‘to take advantage of my good nature and impeccable spelling.’

’What do you mean, “a whole month”?’ Frodo asked, curiously disturbed though Freddy’s tone had been light, his countenance cheerful.

’Why, Budge Hall, of course! They expect to complete repairs sometime in February, and of course I will be returning to Bridgefields at that time. I cannot become a permanent fixture in the Cottons’ home, no matter how generous and gracious they have been up until now.’

’I see,’ Frodo said slowly. He looked at Estella, who was smiling, though her eyes seemed a bit anxious.

’Freddy’s ever so much better,’ she said now. ‘It’s as if a lot more than dust has been swept out with the old year.’

’Yes,’ Freddy said, ‘and don’t think I do not know why you wear those ridiculous kerchiefs, as if you’re about to go apple-gathering or something of the sort. You really ought to do your hair properly now that it’s growing out, as befitting your station, or people are going to talk.’

’Are you sure you don’t mind?’ Estella said, her hand going to her head.

’Mind?’ Freddy snorted. ‘Why should I mind? Rather... I do mind you looking like a farm lass. You’ll have farm lads coming round to ask you to walk out with them before you know it, and that would not be proper; no, it would not, at all.’

’Yes, Freddy,’ Estella said, unaccountably meek.

’There’s a good girl,’ Freddy said, capturing his sister’s hand and drawing her to him for a kiss on the cheek. ‘Now go away and come back when you’re looking as you ought, and you can have a crack at Frodo’s papers.’

’Yes, Freddy,’ Estella said again and left the room, Frodo staring after her.

’What’s got into her?’ Frodo said.

’Estella? She’s growing up,’ Freddy answered soberly. ‘Why, she’ll be marrying any time now.’

’Isn’t she a bit young?’ Frodo asked.

’She’s not the skinny little tag-along with scraped knees and bramble scratches any more, Frodo,’ Freddy said. ‘She’s a young lady, soon to take her place in society. It’s about time she put away her free-and-easy ways and took up her responsibilities.’

’Just as you have,’ Frodo said dryly.

Freddy looked him straight in the eye for a long moment. ‘Yes,’ he said finally. ‘Just as I am.'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List