Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 30. So Much to be Done

Frodo encouraged Samwise to go out and start his tree-planting at once, before the hard cold of January came. ‘I imagine you can accomplish quite a bit, with the whole month of December before you,’ he said, and Sam nodded, a determined light in his eyes.

The work on Bag End would continue without him, for the planning was finished and the workers knew what was needed. They worked away with a will for the Deputy Mayor, cousin to the two stalwarts who were driving the ruffians out of the Shire.

’The planning for all the labours of repair have been finished, not just finished plans, but the plans set going,’ Sam said, and Mr Frodo clapped him on the back.

’You’ve done a fine job, Samwise. If you do half as well with your forestry work, the Shire will be greener than before.’

’What’ll you do with yourself, Mr Frodo? Who’ll look after you?’ Sam asked a little anxiously. He couldn’t imagine leaving Mr Frodo without someone to “do” for him.

’Why, Samwise, I’ll stay right here at the Cottons’ with Freddy! They’ve taken such care of us, I might stay here forever and sell Bag End...’

’Sell Bag End!’ Samwise protested, then realised that Frodo was joking. He was glad to hear Mr Frodo joke, it was almost as if he had the dear old master from brighter days back with him. His laugh joined Frodo’s quiet chuckle, and he made so bold as to slap his master gently on the back. ‘That was a good one Mr Frodo, you nearly had me there,’ he said good-naturedly.

’Now that Freddy’s so much better I’ll be able to turn my hand to writing,’ Frodo added. ‘I’ll be quite busy, you see, Samwise. No need to worry about me sitting and brooding, with so much to be done!’

Sam wanted to protest, but the truth of the matter was he was worried somehow that Mr Frodo might do just that, sit and brood. Frodo had been too busy watching over Mr Freddy to worry about his own troubles, however, and Sam had hopes that if his master just kept himself involved in helping others he’d be able to leave the past behind and start fresh and new-like.

’Well I’ll see you when I get back!’ Sam said at last, and got into the waggon. Young Tom released his hold on the ponies when Sam chirruped to start them off. He raised his hand in farewell and the Cottons broke into a song to bless the start of his journey.

Rose wiped a tear from her eye as she turned away. Sam had still not spoken, and she wondered if he ever would. It would have served him right, the last time Mr Merry came, if she’d accepted him when he got down on one knee before her entire family and Mr Frodo and Sam and laughing Mr Pippin, begging her to put him out of his misery and say, “Yes”.

In Freddy’s room Estella had just finished clearing her brother’s plate, and she sat back now with a sigh of satisfaction, twitching the serviette from its tucking place under his chin. ‘There,’ she said. ‘I do believe we’ll make a new Gaffer of you yet, old Gaffer!’

Freddy patted his stomach. ‘If I don’t burst in the effort, Babe,’ he said placidly.

’Hah,’ Estella said, measuring him with a critical eye. ‘You’ve room for five or six more bites, I’d say.’

Freddy held up his left hand to stave her off. ‘Please!’ he said, laughing. ‘Don’t you go telling Mrs Cotton anything of the sort!’ He eyed her more closely. ‘You’re different,’ he said. ‘Why are you different?’

Estella looked down at herself. ‘I’m wearing a dress?’ she said dryly.

’No,’ Freddy said, ‘I noticed that difference a few days ago... though your hair is starting to grow out. It... it looks more like you.’ The boyish Estella had broken the wizard’s spell that held him in thrall, being so different from the Estella in the dream He had woven for his helpless prisoner. Now looking at his sister he felt a pang of alarm. What if the dream were returning?

’Freddy!’ Estella said with a quizzical laugh. ‘What’s got into you?’ She took his outstretched hand in hers only to have him jerk his hand away, still staring. ‘Freddy?’

’Get away from me,’ he said in a tight voice.

Though she was frightened Estella gave her best impression of annoyance, putting her hands on her hips and tapping one foot. ‘Fredegar Bolger! What in the world do you think you’re doing?’

’Stay away,’ he said desperately, cradling his right hand close to him with his left.

Estella stepped back at a loss, then sudden inspiration struck her and she went quickly to the door. ‘Frodo!’ she called. ‘Frodo!’

Frodo quickened his steps at her call; he’d already entered the house and was coming to check on Freddy. ‘What is it, cousin?’ he asked. Something was wrong: Estella had dropped her attitude of mischievous cheer and tears stood in her eyes.

’He doesn’t know me,’ she said. ‘All of a sudden, he—‘ Frodo put her gently away and went into the room.

’What’s all this, Freddy?’ he asked, but his cousin turned a blank stare on him and would not answer.

’Freddy?’ Frodo said more gently, coming to the bed. He knew better than to take his cousin’s hand. Instead he sat down upon the bed and put an arm about Freddy’s shoulders. ‘Freddy, it’s Frodo. You know me, don’t you?’

’Frodo?’ Freddy said. ‘What are you doing here? You were never in the wizard’s dreams.’

’You’re safe, Freddy,’ Frodo said, even as he wondered. Freddy had not spoken of wizard’s dreams before. What devilry of Saruman’s was this?

’Home?’ Freddy said, after a pause.

’No, not home,’ Frodo said firmly, ‘but you’re safe. You’re at Cottons’ farm; do you remember?’

Freddy didn’t answer and Frodo tightened his hold. ‘You’re safe,’ he repeated. Looking up to see Estella hovering in the doorway he said, ‘Hullo, midge, go and fetch us some tea, will you?’

She swallowed hard and answered with some of her old sauciness, ‘I don’t know what a great donkey like you would be wanting with tea but I’ll fetch you some,’ she said. He nodded approval and she disappeared.

Frodo did not get much writing done that day. Instead he stuck close to Freddy’s side, instantly ready to offer reassurance. Estella returned with second breakfast but Freddy turned a distant stare on her and she retreated in confusion. Frodo sent her to eat with the Cottons and he sat quietly with Freddy, letting him feed himself with his left hand.

’You’re getting quite skilled at that,’ he said. ‘When the splints come off the right, you’ll be able to use two forks and stuff yourself twice as fast.’

’Handy, that,’ Freddy said absently. The rest of the day went by in a similar fashion, with Frodo or Mrs Cotton or Young Tom or Nibs sitting with Freddy, while Estella helped Rose with the housework. Rose found that this “young lady” cousin of Mr Frodo’s wasn’t at all high-and-mighty, o no, she took the dirtiest jobs and found a joke in everything she did, though Rose saw a worried look in the girl’s eye more than once, and she thought she saw Estella brush away a tear when Mrs Cotton called them to tea.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the door slamming open and Jolly’s cheery, ‘Look what blew in on the wind! We’ve visitors! Rosie, set three more places for tea!’

Mrs Cotton scolded Jolly for slamming the door open and in the next breath welcomed the visitors: Finch and Budgie Smallfoot, bearing Robin between them.

’We’re on our way to Waymeet and thought we’d stop in,’ Finch said in response to Mrs Cotton’s greeting.

’Mr Cotton and the lads will be in presently; we’re just sitting down to tea,’ Mrs Cotton said hospitably. ‘Do join us!’

’My thanks,’ Finch said. After he and Budgie had settled Robin comfortably at the table, he said, ‘I also wanted to check on Mr Freddy.’ Estella gave a sniff and turned away. ‘Miss Estella,’ Finch said. ‘I bring your parents' greeting. They say the repairs to Budge Hall are coming along nicely and they plan to return soon to fetch you home.’

’Hullo, Finch,’ she said, turning back with a bright smile, though her eyes were suspiciously bright as well. ‘Fetch me home? How about Freddy?’

’What we’d heard last made them think he might be getting strong enough,’ Finch began, but he stopped at the sight of her face. ‘Don’t tell me,’ he said. ‘Something’s set him off again.’

’Doesn’t take much,’ Robin said softly and Budgie put a hand on his cousin’s shoulder.

’What’s that?’ Mrs Cotton said.

Robin gave a sigh, looking about the cosy kitchen. ‘It is so good, not to be home,’ he said. ‘I thank you for your hospitality, Missus.’

Farmer Cotton and the rest of his sons entered just then with a great wiping of feet and confusion of greetings and all sat down to their meal.

After tea, while washing up was in progress, Finch stopped to see Freddy. He was heartened by the improvement he saw; Mr Freddy was filling out and it was clear that he was growing stronger. He heard about the daily walks to the bath and nodded approval. ‘We’ll have you walking down the lane and back soon enough,’ he said.

’What’s the point of that?’ Freddy asked. He was still a little “off”, but not so bad as he’d been earlier in the day.

’The point, my dear cousin, is that at the end of the lane, in the town of Bywater, is a lovely place called ‘The Green Dragon’, where there’s a mug waiting with your name on it!’

’Beer must be awfully flat by now,’ Freddy murmured but Frodo only laughed.

’Not too flat yet, the inn just opened yesterday and the Ivy Bush is scheduled to be open for business on the morrow.’

’I had better make haste then,’ Freddy said without enthusiasm.

’Speaking of haste,’ Mrs Cotton said from the doorway, wiping her hands upon her apron, ‘my husband and lads are all heading down to the Green Dragon for a pint and a game of darts, and they ask if you’d like to join them.’ She saw Mr Frodo start to shake his head and said, ‘I’ll keep Mr Freddy company. He’s been teaching me how to play draughts, you know.’

’Go on, Frodo, and lift a pint for me while you're at it,’ Freddy said.

Frodo started to demur but then he had a sudden idea. ‘Will you come along?’ he asked Finch. ‘I have yet to buy you a mug for all the help you’ve been.’

’Pretty hard, with all the inns closed up until now,’ Finch said. ‘You’re on.’

’We’ll see you at supper, Freddy-old-chap,’ Frodo said cheerily, and Freddy gave him a half-hearted wave of dismissal.

Out in the kitchen, Frodo stopped. ‘Can we take Robin along? I’m sure he’d be all the better for a mug himself.’

’If you carry me down those steps, you’ll find I can walk quite a ways once we get on level ground,’ Robin said stoutly.

’No need,’ Farmer Cotton said. ‘We’ll just take the waggon.’ There was no gainsaying him, and soon all the Cottons, the visiting Smallfoots, and one Baggins were loaded into the waggon, on their way into town, singing lustily.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List