Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 26. This and That

In the morning Freddy was no better, though careful examination of his right hand produced nods and murmurs on the part of the healers.

’I have some breakfast for you, Mr Frodo,’ Samwise said, entering with a tray. Frodo sat up on the bed, keeping a hand on Freddy’s back as he had in the night.

’A bit awkward, this,’ he said.

’Perhaps he’ll let me hold his hand a bit whilst you eat,’ Sam said. The previous day, Freddy had jerked away from all attempts to take his good hand. It was puzzling, and troubling too, for it was common knowledge that when a hobbit was ill or injured, you held his hand and talked or sang to him. Even if he seemed not to hear, you could not leave him to walk in the darkness alone.

The only way Frodo had managed to calm his cousin was to lie down beside him and hold him close, whispering comfort. He’d been there ever since the previous afternoon and Sam thought it was about time for his master to have a rest.

’We can give it a try,’ Frodo said dubiously. He kept his hand on his cousin’s back while Sam reached for Freddy’s left hand. The moment Sam took the hand in his own, however, Freddy tried to pull away, and as Sam’s fingers tightened instinctively the sick hobbit began to thrash and moan. ‘Let go, Sam!’ Frodo said sharply. Abashed, Samwise complied.

Frodo rubbed Freddy’s back, speaking soothingly, and his cousin gradually calmed again. Odovacar had paused in the doorway as Sam had taken Freddy’s hand and now he spoke. ‘Whatever is the matter? I’d’ve thought he’d be over the effects of the sleeping draught by now.’

’It’s not the draught,’ Sam said. A horrid thought had occurred to him just now and he spoke with certainty.

’What, Sam? Not the draught?’ Frodo said. ‘It should have worn off sometime yesterday morning, true, but he’s acting as one under the influence...’

’It’s not the draught,’ Sam repeated more forcefully, powered by the horror that gripped him. ‘Don’t you see, Mr Frodo, that every time someone takes his hand, he thinks—‘

’Thinks what?’ Odo said.

Samwise gulped, his breakfast sitting uneasily in the face of his dark thoughts. ‘He thinks we’re a-going to start breaking the fingers on that hand!’

’O Sam!’ Frodo breathed, horror in his own eyes before he closed them to shut out the sight of his cousin’s splinted and bandaged right hand, and the left, curled protectively and pulled close to Freddy’s body.

Odovacar broke the silence. ‘Well, then, we cannot torment him by holding his hand,’ he said. Trust ruffians to turn comfort into torment, he raged inwardly. He had a most unhobbitlike urge to break a few ruffian fingers, but that wouldn’t help Freddy, and poor Frodo had been tied to the bed for all practical purposes since the previous afternoon.

’Let me try,’ Odo said now, sitting down on the bed, placing his hand on Freddy’s back next to Frodo’s and beginning to rub gently. ‘You take care of your needs, Frodo, and I’ll watch with him for the morning.’

Freddy moaned as Frodo took away his hand and rose from the bed, but before Frodo could sit down again, Odo had stretched himself out next to his son and taken Freddy in his arms. ‘It’s all right, son,’ he said. ‘You’re safe.’

’Home?’ Freddy murmured, not opening his eyes.

’No,’ Odo said quickly and Frodo relaxed. ‘Not home, not for a good while yet, but you’re safe, Freddy-lad.’

’Safe,’ Freddy whispered, lying calm again.

Odo looked up. ‘Go take care of your own needs, lad,’ he said again to Frodo. ‘I’ll watch with him here. Finch and Anise are going to try to get some food into him every hour, starting as soon as Mrs Cotton’s custard comes out of the oven, and I’ll stay right with him.’

’Thank you, Odo,’ Frodo said, stretching. He was stiff after the long vigil.

’I owe you the thanks,’ Odo said then turned his attention back to his son.

’Your breakfast has gone cold, Mr Frodo,’ Samwise said regretfully. ‘Mrs Cotton was getting a bath ready for you, so you could have a good soak after you ate. How about if you seek the bath now and I bring you a fresh tray?’

’Thank you, Samwise, that would just suit,’ Frodo said. He took a last glance back into the room where Freddy slept peacefully in his father’s arms, and then allowed Sam to lead him to the bath room.

***

Happily for the messenger, the Thain had already departed with his troop of archers when Frodo’s refusal arrived at the Great Smials. At a loss, he brought the message to Reginard and was gratefully dismissed. He ought to have volunteered to fight ruffians, he thought ruefully. Much less dangerous than braving the Thain’s temper.

Rudivacar was breakfasting with Merry when Reginard entered the room. Rudi even managed a liver omelette in an attempt to help Merry face his own breakfast somehow, though he washed it down with cups and cups of tea.

’I have here a message from Frodo,’ Reginard said.

’Who’s it for?’ Merry asked.

’For the Thain, actually, but happily he’s already gone,’ Reginard said. ‘You’re the next logical candidate, since the message concerns you.’

’As I recall, Uncle Paladin sent for Frodo last night; he was to arrive in time for breakfast. I was so looking forward to sharing a liver omelette with him,’ Merry said.

’Perhaps he knew about the liver omelette,’ Reginard said. ‘He’s not coming.’

’Not coming! Not coming to succour me in my hour of need?’ Merry said facetiously. ‘Whatever is the matter with my cousin?’

’I think the matter lies elsewhere,’ Reginard said with a look at Rudivacar. ‘I’m sorry to say there’s bad news about your nephew.’

’Freddy?’ Rudi said getting up and seizing the note Reginard held, not worrying about rudeness. He and Regi had known each other for years after all. He read quickly.

’What is it?’ Merry asked, sitting up a little straighter.

Rudi fixed him with a stern eye. ‘You stay in that bed,’ he said, ‘or I’ll tell the cooks you loved that omelette so much you begged me to bring you another.’

’Hah!’ was Merry’s rejoinder, but he stayed put. ‘What is it?’

’Frodo writes—though it does not look like his writing at all—that Freddy is too ill for him to leave his side at the moment,’ Rudi said, glancing through the contents of the page.

’Too ill,’ Merry said. ‘D’you think he’s just ducking the Thain’s hospitality?’

’No, there’d be no gain in it, and much harm, possibly. He’s tried to stay on Paladin’s good side in order to have some influence over him when it comes to the lad, you know,’ Regi said shrewdly.

Merry nodded. It was true. Frodo could often deflect some of Paladin’s ill-humour from his son and with a clever phrase turn disapproval into praise.

’I had better take my precious cargo back to Bywater at once then,’ Rudi said.

’You do that,’ Merry answered. ‘Take some liver along with you as a present for Frodo. Perhaps if you take enough they’ll run short in the kitchens.’

’Precious cargo?’ Regi asked.

’Ah, yes,’ Rudi said, putting a finger to the side of his nose. Regi nodded, remembering that Rudi had come in search of a lass and ended up with a lad in tow. Putting two and two together, he smiled. He wouldn’t be the one to fan the flames of gossip.

’Give my best to Frodo and Sam, and Freddy, of course,’ Merry said.

’I will,’ Rudi said. ‘You do a better job of ducking arrows now.’

’I will,’ Merry echoed.

As Rudi turned towards the door, he collided with Merimac Brandybuck. ‘What are you doing here?’ he asked in astonishment.

’Thain Paladin sent a message that Merry’d been wounded,’ Merimac said grimly. ‘I was on my way here to see the Fox anyhow, and intercepted the news of his near-escape from death this side of Woody End, well before it reached my brother. I came to see what’s what before alarming Saradoc. Paladin always did go in for dramatic flair.’

’I’m fine,’ Merry said from the bed. ‘Hullo, Uncle Badger.’

’You look well, for someone as white as the pillows he’s resting against,’ Merimac retorted. He sniffed. ‘What’s that? Liver? Got any more where that came from?’

’As a matter of fact,’ Merry said, shoving the tray towards his uncle, ‘I find I cannot eat another bite. Would you like some liver omelette?’

’Don’t mind if I do,’ Merimac said, taking up a serviette and tucking it under his chin.

***

Rudi found Mum, Hardy and Twig breakfasting in their suite, a much more promising meal of eggs, bacon, freshly-baked pastries, and all the necessary accompaniments.

’Come join us,’ Mum said, indicating an empty chair. ‘They’ve given us much more than we can manage.’

’Hullo, Uncle Rudi,’ Twig said through a mouthful.

’Hullo, Twig,’ Rudi replied pleasantly, sitting down and loading his plate. ‘How’d you like to take a little journey with me today?’

’A little journey?’ Twig said.

’Yes,’ he said, eyeing the servant hovering with the teapot. Twig followed his glance and nodded.

’Thain Paladin has been so kind,’ Mum said obliquely. ‘He’s said we can stay until the ruffians are driven out. He’d offered to release my husband and sons from service, that they might rebuild our hole and farm, but I told him that would be a disgrace! ...and he agreed with me, wonderful hobbit that he is.’ She did not look at the servants but was certain that every word was being noted.

’It won’t be long before the ruffians are gone,’ Rudi said smoothly. ‘Merry seemed to think they’d have the job done before Year’s End.’

’And a good thing, too!’ Mum said stoutly, nodding thanks as her teacup was refilled. ‘Sweep them out with the rest of the refuse, start a new year off right!’

They continued to make small talk as they ate, having their plates and teacups replenished by the two silent servants sent to attend them. Nip enjoyed frequent bites under the table as well, from the hands of Twig and Hardy.

’Well, I’ll just take Twig off to his own family now,’ Rudi said, wiping his mouth and throwing down his serviette.

’Say fare-thee-well to your cousin, Hardy,’ Mum prompted, getting up from her chair.

’Fare-thee-well, Twig,’ Hardy said obediently. ‘Don’t shoot any crooked arrows.’

’Don’t dig any crooked holes,’ Twig responded cheerily.

Mum enveloped Twig in a great hug. ‘You’ve been a good lad,’ she said, ‘every bit as good as one of my own, and don’t you never forget it!’

’I won’t,’ Twig said, returning the hug.

’Are we ready?’ Rudi said.

’Ready as I’ll ever be,’ Twig answered, but bent to give Nip a hug as well. ‘Goodbye, you old growler.’ Nip growled in reply, and Twig manfully sniffed back a threatening tear. ‘Let’s go.’

Twig marched out the door, straight and slim. ‘There goes a fine lad,’ one of the servants said softly to the other. ‘He’ll grow into a good, sturdy Took I’ll wager.’

For some reason, Hardy had a coughing fit and Mum had to hide her face in her serviette, but soon she was asking for a final cup of tea before the servants cleared away.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List