Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 20. Seeking a Stray Lamb

Rudivacar persuaded Odovacar to stay with Fredegar while he went back to Tookland to search for Estella. ‘Freddy’s getting better,’ he said. ‘He’s starting to sit up and take notice, and it will be much easier to explain my absence than yours.’

’As long as Merry and Pippin keep stopping in on occasion to describe how they’re driving out the ruffians, he seems to understand the need for Estella to stay in hiding.’

’Yes, but... nobody’s hiding here in Bywater,’ Rudivacar said slowly.

Odo shook his head. ‘I do not believe that Freddy’s thinking too clearly yet,’ he said. ‘In some ways it is a blessing to him, and we are taking advantage of it to allay his worries for Estella, and his fear of going home, and what must yet be done if his right hand is to be saved.’

Rudi lowered his voice still more, though they were already speaking low. ‘Do you think there is a real risk of him willing himself to die when we return to Budgeford?’

’Frodo seems to think so,’ Odo whispered. He had talked this over with Farmer Cotton, and the good farmer had told him to extend their visit just as long as need be. (‘We might have to put you to work in the fields if you stay through planting time,’ he’d joked, then placed a hand on Odo’s shoulder. ‘Stay as long as need be,’ he’d added. ‘Your son’s already paid the room and board well ahead.’)

’Well then, we must have him well and strong before we make the attempt,’ Rudivacar said. ‘It’s just as well. The last message said that Budge Hall will require quite a bit more work to make it habitable again. Old Oakleaf said that not a single windowpane was spared, to begin with.’ He sipped the last of his tea and rose from the table.

’I’m off!’ he announced cheerily. ‘Thank you for the tea and scones, Mrs Cotton. I do believe they’ll hold me all the way to Tuckborough!’

’I’ve packed you a few bites just in case,’ the farmer’s wife smiled, turning from her dinner preparations to scoop up a bag.

’Good idea, if I run into surly Tooks I’ll simply fling the bag at them and your fine cookery will keep them busy whilst I make my escape!’ he said, and she laughed.

’Bundle up well, now, there’s a chill in the air,’ she said. With a smile, Rudivacar wrapped himself in his cloak.

’Mrs Cotton, if you weren’t a “Missus” I’d be tempted to make you my missus,’ Rudi said. ‘I might just have to marry that daughter of yours instead.’

’She’s already spoken for,’ Mrs Cotton said placidly. Honestly, the way the gentry carried on, joking about such a serious matter...

’It’s the story of my life,’ Rudi said with a mock sigh. ‘All the best are already snapped up or spoken for. It looks as if I might have to settle for a Took.’ On that note, he let himself out into the predawn darkness, closing the door quickly to keep the chill of the icy night from entering the cosy kitchen.

He didn’t need to fling the bag of food as it turned out, but he did share out the contents with the guards he met halfway to the Great Smials. These Tooks were much more cheerful than the last bunch. They weren’t expecting to see any ruffians coming at Tookland from Bywater these days. All the larger groups of ruffians had been driven out, and now the hobbits just had to find and rout out the smaller groups that had gone to ground. These were the more dangerous, of course, murderous in their rage at the hobbits for daring to upset their comfortable living and determined to stay and make as much trouble as possible if they could not take back the land. A few hobbits had been killed or badly hurt, and the Thain and his forces were combing every inch of countryside to find them. Those who surrendered were shown the borders, but many chose to fight, and fell to Tookish arrows.

Reaching the Great Smials, he asked for Reginard and was shown quickly to the Thain’s study.

’What can I do for you?’ Regi said.

’We’re still trying to trace Estella,’ Rudi answered. ‘Ferdibrand was the last to see her, that we know of. How is he?’

Regi smiled. ‘If you had asked me a few days ago, I’d’ve told you he was dying,’ he said. ‘I didn’t allow for his stubborn streak.’

’That is good news!’ Rudi said enthusiastically. Rosamunda would be so pleased to hear that her brother’s son was recovering.

’The healers say things could still go either way,’ Regi cautioned, ‘but at least they are holding out hope now, where before all they could do was shake their heads.’

’And how is Ferdinand?’

’Looking for the worst to happen, as always,’ Reginard said. ‘Still, some good may come out of this. Paladin has persuaded him to own his daughter again, and Rosemary is here in the Smials.’

’Where?’ Rudi asked eagerly.

’With Ferdi, of course,’ Reginard answered. ‘I’ll take you to them.’

Entering Ferdibrand’s room, he greeted Rosemary Bolger and Pimpernel Took, who were watching by the bedside.

’Rosemary, it is good to see you,’ he said.

’It has been a long time, Rudi,’ she answered. ‘But all is forgiven, it seems, and my name may be mentioned in society once more.’ He nodded, uncomfortable. He’d never agreed with the shunning, and had quietly asked Freddy for news of his cousin whenever he heard the lad had been wandering, for often his wanderings took him down to Woody End.

’Cousin,’ Pimpernel said smoothly, rising to take his hand. ‘What brings you back to the Smials?’

’Ferdi, here,’ Rudi nodded, grateful for the change of subject. ‘I’d heard he was doing better, and hoped to talk with him.’

’He hasn’t said much yet,’ Rosemary said, ‘although he has opened his eyes a few times, and taken some water and broth.’ She looked up at Rudi coolly. ‘What did you want to talk with him about?’

’Estella,’ he said.

’Estella!’ Rosemary responded in surprise. ‘What about Estella?’

’He’s the only one who knows where she is, apparently,’ Rudi answered.

’She’s not back with her parents?’ Rosemary said in astonishment. ‘Where is she, then? She’s not here at the Smials, so I assumed Odo—‘

’She never reached the Smials,’ Rudi explained. ‘Evidently Ferdi left her off someplace and never went back to claim her.’

Rosemary turned to Pimpernel. ‘Didn’t he tell the Thain, at least?’

Pimpernel shook her head. ‘He had some urgent news for the Thain, and she encumbered him, so he left her off with a farm family, that is all that we know,’ she said. ‘Later the Thain decided she’d be well enough where she was, for he feared the ruffians were massing for an attack on the Great Smials.’

’But he didn’t know where she was!’ Rosemary said.

’No, only Ferdi does,’ Pimpernel nodded. She bent close to Ferdibrand, gently stroking the part of his face that was not covered by bandages. ‘Ferdi,’ she said softly. He stirred under her touch.

’Sit him up,’ Rosemary said. ‘As long as we’re trying to waken him, we’ll get some water into him at the same time.’ Rudi helped to prop cushions behind the injured hobbit.

’Ferdi,’ Pimpernel said again. ‘Where’s Estella?’ He opened his eyes to stare at her, unfocused, confused.

’Drink, Ferdi,’ Rosemary said, holding a cup to his lips, and he sipped obediently. ‘Now tell us, lad, where’s Twig? What did you do with Twig? Can you remember?’

’Twig,’ he whispered, but seemed unable to say more.

’Twig?’ Rudivacar said, confused.

’Yes, we disguised Estella as a boy,’ Rosemary said. ‘Easier to slip through the woods in breeches than in skirts, and if the ruffians caught them they’d be more likely to let her go if they thought she was a lad.’

’But—‘ Rudi said in consternation, and stopped.

’But what?’ Pimpernel said, staring at him.

’Merry Brandybuck rescued a lad by that name, in the Green Hill country,’ Rudi said. He was distracted by a thought. 'Just what was a ruffian doing in Green Hill country, anyhow?'

'The Tooks took down their traps too soon,' Pimpernel said grimly. 'Ferdi would have told them to keep the traps in place until we were sure the ruffians were well gone, but now they are on the run, seeking shelter wherever they may find it, and some have slipped into Tookland. Father was fit to be tied!'

'I can imagine,' Rudi said dryly. 'But getting back to "Twig"--' he said.

’It could be a coincidence of names,’ Rosemary began, but Pimpernel shook her head.

’ “Twig” would not be all that common amongst Tooks,’ she argued. ‘Ferdi picked a name that would be memorable, in case something happened to him, I suspect.’

’I picked the name,’ Rosemary said shortly, then her shoulders relaxed. ‘But you’re right, it is more a name common amongst the forest Bolgers than amongst the Tooks.’

’Then Merry knows where Estella is!’ Rudi said. ‘Is he here in the Smials, now?’

’No, he’s out in the fields, chasing ruffians,’ Pimpernel said, rising abruptly from the bed, where she’d settled to try to rouse Ferdibrand. ‘But Regi should be able to show you on a map where they’re supposed to be.’

’Thank you!’ Rudi said. He stopped long enough to bend over Ferdi. ‘Be well, cousin,’ he said softly. ‘I hope to see you on your feet soon.’ Ferdi smiled and closed his eyes, and Rudi made his farewells to Rosemary and Pimpernel and made his way back to the Thain’s study.

***

’So Ferdi was able to tell you where to find Estella?’ Reginard asked.

’No, but evidently Merry Brandybuck can,’ Rudivacar answered. ‘Nell told me you could show me how to find him, on a map.’

’I can show you where he’s supposed to be,’ Regi answered. ‘And in truth, he ought to be there, after the lecture Thain Paladin gave Pippin for not being where he was supposed to be when his father sought him, a few days ago.’

’So that was why the lad was in such a foul humour when last I saw him,’ Rudi said.

’O aye,’ Regi answered. ‘The Thain can tear strips from a body with the backside of his tongue, he can, and he does not spare his son even when the lad’s newly returned from the dead.’

With the map fresh in his memory and another bag of provisions, Rudivacar mounted his pony, hope fresh. With any luck at all, he’d find Merry by nooning (the troop he and Pippin led was only a couple of hours’ fast ride from the Smials at the moment) and have Estella in hand in time for tea, bringing her back to Bywater that evening or on the morrow at the latest.

The pony seemed to enjoy stretching out for a good run over the grassy hills, and they made good time, even with Rudi pulling him down into a slower pace for an occasional breather. Soon he saw signs of an encampment and not long after he was being hailed by a Tookish sentry.

’I’m looking for Merry Brandybuck!’ he shouted.

’Captain Merry? Luck is with you, he’s here at the moment,’ the sentry shouted back, waving him on. Rudi rode into camp, jumping down from his pony and entering the tent the Tooks directed him to.

Merry looked up from where he sat. ‘What is it? Has something happened to Freddy?’ he asked. He was half-undressed, and one arm was being tended by a healer.

’No, but I’m close to finding Estella,’ Rudi said. ‘What’s happened to you?’

’Naught more than a scratch,’ Merry answered. ‘A ruffian thought to spit me with an arrow, but his aim was poor.’ He sucked in his breath as the cleansing cloth dug into the wound.

’Clean,’ the healer said, ‘no bones broken, and it doesn’t appear you’ll bleed to death.’

’There’s a mercy,’ Merry said under his breath.

’You ought to lie down for a rest,’ the healer continued.

’Come now, Mardi, it’s naught but a scratch,’ Merry protested. He started to get up from the stool but had to sit back down, dizzy.

’At least drink some of this,’ Mardi said, picking up a covered cup and thrusting it at his patient.

’It’s not a sleeping draught, is it?’ Merry asked suspiciously.

’It ought to be,’ Mardi said, ‘but no, it’s something to strengthen you, instead. I made it just as bad tasting as I could, given the rough conditions I must labour under.’

’My thanks,’ Merry said with a twist of his mouth then gulped the contents of the cup bravely.

’How is he?’ Pippin asked, thrusting aside the tent flap. ‘Rudi! Someone told me a visitor had ridden in.’

’He’s looking for Estella,’ Merry said, still making a face at the taste of the draught.

’Estella?’ Pippin said in astonishment. ‘Did you think to find her in a camp of Tooks?’

’No,’ Rudi said, ‘that would be too much to hope for. But Merry’s seen her, and I hope he can lead me to her.’

’I’ve seen her?’ Merry said, stunned.

’Do you remember the lad you rescued a few days back, “Twig”?’ Rudi said.

’Twig knows where Estella is?’ Merry asked.

’In a manner of speaking,’ Rudi said dryly. ‘ “Twig” is Estella.’

Merry stared at him, stunned silent, while Pippin began to laugh.

’Estella is living as a lad named “Twig”?’ Pippin asked, when he could control his laughter.

’Yes, it seems that Ferdibrand Took gave her a new name and stuck her away with a farm family for safekeeping. He would have gone to fetch her later, but your father said to leave well enough alone,’ Rudi said.

’I can see where he might,’ Pippin said thoughtfully. ‘She has a way of livening up things at the Smials when she’s there.’

’Can you tell me where to find her?’ Rudi asked, his urgency returning.

’I can do better than that; I’ll take you there!’ Merry said stoutly.

’You’re not going anywhere,’ Pippin said, ‘Not after I had to half-carry you here!’

’I’m fine, cousin, it was just a scratch—wasn’t it, Mardi?’ Merry said.

’Just a scratch,’ Mardi affirmed with a sigh. ‘But if you fall on your head it’s not my fault.’

Merry shook off Pippin’s restraining hand and rose from the chair. The draught, bad-tasting as it was, had indeed been strengthening. He felt himself a whole new hobbit; well, perhaps not entirely whole, but he’d make do.

’Come along, Rudi,’ he said. ‘The farm’s not far from here, as a matter of fact.’

’I’ll come too,’ Pippin said, ‘just to keep you from falling on your head.’

***

About an hour later, Rudivacar, Merry, and Pippin stood staring at the smoking ruin of a small byre, a chicken house that had been knocked to pieces, and bloody remains of creatures that had been hacked to pieces strewn on the ground between hobbit hole and byre. Every window was broken, the door had been knocked from its hinges, and smoke hung heavy inside the hobbit hole.

’Perhaps Estella wasn’t here,’ Pippin said numbly.

Merry took out a handkerchief, held it over his face, and ducked into the hobbit hole, one of the Tooks close behind him with a torch. They searched through the hobbit hole, finding nothing but signs of frenzied destruction.

’Here!’ he heard Pippin call, and he came out to the kitchen again.

’What is it?’ Merry asked, stopping where Pippin and Rudi stared down at something. He was glad to see it wasn’t a body, or pieces of a body.

’Look,’ Rudi said, bringing his torch closer to the stones. ‘Estella was here, all right.’

In silence, the hobbits stared at the sketch of a knight, Merry’s face clearly distinguishable despite the roughness of the sketch, drawn upon the hearthstone by a skilful hand.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List