Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 17. Lancing the Boil

’Whatever’s the matter with Pippin?’ Rosamunda said, entering the room where Frodo and Merry were keeping company with Freddy as he ate his breakfast. He was getting better at plying a fork or spoon with his left hand. ‘He must have got up in a badger hole rather than a hobbit hole this morn.’ A little bit of Tookish lilt had returned to her voice in her irritation with the tween.

’A little Paladin goes a long way,’ Merry said with a significant nod to Frodo.

’He’s still on about that?’ Freddy said. ‘You told me he had a brief interview with old Paladin yesterday.’

’Not brief enough,’ Merry said. ‘He’d been planning to look in on Ferdi, but when he came from the Thain’s study, all he said was, “Let’s go!” in just that tone. I thought he’d bite my head off!’

’He’s angry,’ Rosamunda said slowly, and Frodo was caught by the intensity of her voice. She looked up to see his quizzical expression. ‘Angry,’ she repeated, ‘not just angered.’

’How unhobbity it all sounds,’ Freddy said lightly, but his mother frowned at him and he subsided.

’No, he’s right,’ Merry put in, putting his hand on Rosamunda’s arm. ‘That’s exactly what’s been bothering me.’ He locked eyes with Frodo. ‘That’s the kind of thing we’re trying to throw out of the Shire.’

’Paladin’s angry,’ Rosamunda said. ‘The Tooks put up with him because he’s managed to bring order out of the shambles old Ferumbras left, as well as keeping the ruffians out of Tookland.’

’An angry hobbit,’ Freddy said, and shook his head. ‘I hate to see Pippin going down the same trail his father’s on.’

’He won’t, if I’ve anything to say about it,’ Frodo said. As head of the Baggins family, his word carried some weight with the Thain. ‘We’ve managed to shield the lad up until now, what with long visits and having him bounce from hole to hole.’

’That’ll get harder when he comes of age and takes up his responsibilities full-time,’ Merry said soberly. He was thinking of his own responsibilities back in Buckland. Soon the ruffians would be gone and it would be time to go back to being a “regular hobbit” once more. Was such a thing possible?

’You said, “he was planning to look in on Ferdi,” did you not?’ Rosamunda said suddenly. ‘My nephew is still lingering?’ Her expression was grieved. Odo had given her to think that Ferdi was on his last gasp.

’Better than lingering,’ Merry said, his face brightening. ‘He’s holding his own, or better! He opened his eyes yesterday, and took a little broth, or so we were told before Pip was summoned by his father.’

’That is good news! I must tell Odo!’ Rosemary said, rising from her chair. Perhaps there would be a chance to find Estella, after all. Freddy, of course, did not know his sister had been lost. No, "lost" was not the word—misplaced, rather. Odo watched his words in Freddy’s presence to keep the lad from worry, but he had filled his wife in on everything that had happened at the Great Smials. They had puzzled together over the word “Twig”. What could it mean? Odo meant to ask Freddy when he was stronger, but of course, that meant telling him that Estella had been... misplaced.

’Speaking of broth,’ Frodo said, tapping Freddy’s tray.

’O I had hoped nobody’d notice,’ Freddy said lightly, but he sighed as he plied his spoon.

’Would you like something other than porridge, my dear?’ Rosamunda said solicitously, hovering in the doorway.

’Porridge is fine, Mother,’ Freddy said. ‘It’s as good as anything else, and Mrs Cotton’s porridge is better than most.’

’It’s the touch of Rosie Cotton’s deft hand,’ Merry said, sighing in a lovelorn manner. ‘I swear I am going to marry that girl someday.’

’You don’t need to practice on us,’ Frodo said with a touch of irritation. ‘Samwise is over at Bag End, supervising the clearing out.’

’I must keep in practice if ever that lad is to be goaded into speaking to Miss Rose,’ Merry defended. He struck a thoughtful pose, eyes seeking the ceiling while his fingers stroked his chin. ‘On the other hand...’ he said. ‘She is an awfully good cook, and pretty in the bargain...’ Everyone laughed and he grinned. He had taken on as his next campaign securing the nuptials of Samwise and Rosie, to Sam’s discomfort and Rosie’s delight. Hints had not had any evident impact, but he thought he was making progress with his new idea of acting smitten with Rose’s charms.

’Post!’ Mrs Cotton sang out, waving a letter in her hand. ‘Mr Merry, it’s for you!’

’Post!’ Merry said in astonishment. ‘Frodo, I thought that all you’d done as Mayor was reduce the number of Shirriffs to what it ought to be.’

’That is all I’ve done,’ Frodo said smugly. ‘You know hobbits. They talk incessantly, they love gossip and exchanging news. They’ve been terribly frustrated the past year, with the ruffians and all. It didn’t take long for the post to reinstate itself with no help from me!’

’It helps that more than half the discharged Shirriffs were messengers before Lotho put them on to shirriffing,’ Freddy said dryly.

’Ah, that’s right!’ Merry said. ‘Mystery solved. You told me yourself you’d discharged the extra Shirriffs and sent them back to their old occupations.’

Frodo bowed, but frowned a moment later when Freddy said, ‘Perhaps you really ought to go for Mayor, cousin; you seem to be doing an exemplary job.’

’Bite your tongue,’ Frodo said. ‘I am going quietly into retirement and write a book.’

’I’ll believe it when I see it!’ Freddy said. ‘You, quiet? Retiring? Inconceivable! Not the Frodo Baggins who had so much excess energy he was always taking long walks about the Shire and meeting all sorts of odd folk... Can you even sit down long enough to pen a title page?’

’You’d be surprised, Freddy,’ Frodo said. ‘I’ve already made all sorts of notes.’

’When?’ Freddy said, but Frodo only laughed.

’He’s got to write down our adventures, after all,’ Merry said, ‘though no hobbit will ever believe them, much less read them.’

’Try me,’ Freddy said. ‘I’d welcome the diversion. Do you know how hard it is to lie in a bed, day in and day out, with nothing to do but stuff my face?’

’You’ll be out of that bed before you know it!’ Merry said. ‘Why, I heard you’ll be home for Yule!’

Frodo, watching Freddy’s face intently, suddenly said, ‘Merry, I’m perishing for a cup of tea. Could you fetch us a pot? Bring a cup for yourself if you like.’

’Is it safe to go into the kitchen?’ Merry laughed. ‘Last I heard there was a dragon named Pippin there.’

’That was all of ten minutes ago,’ Frodo replied. ‘Have you ever known him to stay in one place so long?’

’No, you have the right of it,’ Merry said. ‘He must have gone out to take the air, for he hasn’t returned to this part of the house. I’ll go and chance it, but if I do not return, send out a search party.’

’If you’ve been et by a dragon there’s not much point in sending out search parties,’ Freddy said practically. Merry pulled a comical face and went out the door.

’Freddy...’ Frodo said slowly.

’Eh? What’s that, cousin? Got something on your mind?’ Freddy said, dutifully lifting another spoonful of porridge. ‘Just come to Old Uncle Fredegar, he’ll set you right.’

’What is it about “home” that worries you?’ Frodo asked, watching Freddy’s face.

’I don’t take your meaning,’ Freddy said lightly, but Frodo, eyes intent, nodded slowly.

’I think you do,’ he said. ‘There’s something... whenever anyone mentions your going home, you... I do not know how to describe it.’

’Then you’re likely imagining it,’ Freddy replied, taking another bite.

’What are you worried about?’ Frodo asked. ‘If it’s the re-setting of your fingers...’

’Re-setting my fingers!’ Freddy cried in horror, dropping the spoon and cradling his right hand protectively with his left. ‘You mean they’re to be re-broken?’

’I’m sorry, cousin, you didn’t know?’ Frodo said, kicking himself. He’d been so sure...

’Nobody told me anything about it,’ Freddy said furiously. ‘I thought they were healing from some injury, was all.’ He took a few deep breaths, calming himself. ‘What happened to them, anyhow?’

’You don’t remember?’ Frodo said quietly.

’No,’ Freddy said after a moment. ‘I do not.’

’I was told it was a game of the Ruffians, the Question Game, someone called it.’

’Question Game...’ Freddy mused, his face blank.

’They’d ask a question, and if you didn’t answer the way they liked...’ Frodo prompted. He was on thin ice, but there were too many buried secrets, he suspected, eating away at Fredegar. Sometimes you had to cut away to reach an infection, to allow the poison to drain from the wound. He’d had a bit of experience with that, himself.

Dawning realisation was replaced with sick horror on Freddy’s countenance. ‘I do remember,’ he whispered. ‘Curse you, Frodo Baggins, for bringing it to mind!’

Merry stood in the doorway, stricken, holding the tea tray in his hands. Frodo looked up and shook his head slightly, and Merry stumbled back towards the kitchen. ‘They wanted something to go with the tea,’ he said to Mrs Cotton, trying to steady his voice. ‘Would it be too much trouble to stir up some scones?’

’No trouble at all!’ Mrs Cotton said, well-pleased. ‘I’m glad to hear that lad is getting some of his appetite back!’

Back in the room, Freddy was weeping, and Frodo was holding him. ‘It’s all right now, Freddy,’ he soothed. ‘It’ll be all right.’

’I cannot fight them,’ Freddy sobbed. ‘They’re too strong, and it’s not just me they’re hurting.’

’They’re gone,’ Frodo said. ‘They cannot hurt you any more.’ His arms tightened about his younger cousin as he rocked slowly back and forth.

’No!’ Freddy gasped. ‘They’re still in my head! I hear their voices, mocking, and that wizard...’ He fell silent suddenly, gulping back his sobs, and Frodo felt him stiffen.

’What is it, Freddy?’ he asked softly, feeling his way delicately, as if he were in a bog and one false step would take his cousin away from him forever.

’Why don’t they just let me die and get it over with?’ Freddy moaned against his shoulder. ‘I’m so tired, Frodo,’ he added, going limp again. ‘So tired.’

’I know,’ Frodo said, ‘but dying isn’t the answer, Freddy.’ He continued to hold his cousin close, his own heart grieving with each shuddering sob that he heard and felt. When Freddy calmed again, he ventured to say, ‘You’ll be going home soon, and...’ but that was not the right thing to say at all, he discovered. Freddy stiffened again, and then laid his head down on Frodo’s shoulder and sighed.

’What is it, Freddy? Why don’t you want to go home?’ he urged softly.

’Home,’ Freddy said. ‘I’m so tired, I ought to be looking forward to going home,’ he said. ‘Home for Yule, the wizard promised. It’ll be nice and quiet.’

Somehow the words sounded ominous to Frodo rather than comforting. ‘Nice and quiet,’ he prompted.

’It’s quiet in the grave,’ Freddy said softly. ‘No one to bother or badger, no memories to haunt you. Just sleep, forever to sleep, and no dreams to disturb.’

Frodo’s arms tightened about Freddy as he sat in silent shock. He looked up to see Merry hovering once again with the tea tray, and shook his head again.

With a sigh, Merry took himself off to the kitchen. ‘Seems they’re getting fussy,’ he said. ‘They didn’t want scones at all, I gather, but crumpets!’

’Well, well,’ Mrs Cotton said, unruffled. ‘I guess you and I had better eat up these scones, then, while they’re still hot, and then I’ll stir up the crumpets.’

’Mrs Cotton, you’re a wonder!’ Merry said with feeling.

’So I’m told,’ she answered dryly, and Merry wondered if she saw through him. Probably, he told himself. He sat down and consoled himself with the fact that she made the best scones he’d ever tasted.

Back in the bedroom, Frodo had been thinking furiously. Finally, he asked, ‘What makes you think you’re dying? The healers have all been very encouraging...’

’The wizard said...’ Freddy said and stopped, and Frodo began to understand.

’Saruman,’ he whispered. ‘His Voice. O Freddy, he had no power at the end save his Voice, for those who would believe it! You must not believe it, cousin, you must put it away. He told you lies!’

’Lies?’ Freddy said, sounding bewildered. Frodo held him tight.

’Lies!’ he said firmly. ‘Everything he said to you was a lie, you must believe that, cousin!’

’I’m not going home to die?’ Freddy asked, as simply as a little child.

Frodo laughed through his tears. ‘No!’ he shouted, ‘not at all! You’re going home to celebrate the advent of a new year, a new beginning, new hope and new life!’

’I am?’ Freddy asked.

’Indeed you are, Fredegar, or my name isn’t Frodo Baggins!’ Frodo said fervently, ‘Or Deputy Mayor Frodo, or simply “Your Excellency”, if you like.’ He felt Freddy stop shaking, and held him a little longer before putting him back to look into his face.

’Better?’ he asked softly.

’I feel a whole new hobbit,’ Freddy said slowly. He took several deep breaths, and finally, spoke again. ‘Did you say Merry was bringing us some tea?’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List