Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 12. Taking Up the Fight

Yet another healer was poking and prodding him. Freddy sighed but made no protest, and this worried Rosamunda as well. Her son was half Took, and lived up to his Tookish side in his disdain for healers, but at the moment he might have been a helpless babe, so meekly he submitted.

’Well then, Master Fredegar,’ Healer Grubb said, straightening up. ‘You and I have our work cut out for us and no mistake!’ She motioned to Rosamunda. ‘I would speak to you over a cup of tea, perhaps, Mistress?’

’I’ll keep watch,’ Merry said. ‘You go on.’

In the kitchen, Mrs Cotton brought the healer a cup of freshly-brewed tea. ‘What is it, Anise?’ she asked.

’Thankee,’ the healer said, sipping the tea, then turned to the anxious mother. ‘Your son is dying,’ she said bluntly.

Rosamunda gasped and put her hand to her heart.

’You’d feared as much,’ Anise Grubb said shrewdly. The brutal truth was needed here if there was to be any hope of saving her patient. She was sure that healers before her had sung the tune she was about to sing (“frequent, small meals”) but she was going to drive the message home before they killed Fredegar with kindness.

’You told me yourself he’s refusing more than a few bites of food,’ she went on. Rosamunda nodded. ‘Well, that will not do at all. You must force your son to eat, at least a teacupful every hour. You may allow him sleep two or three hours at a stretch at night, but waken him several times in the night to feed him as if he were a babe. I don’t care what it takes to get the food down him. If he doesn’t eat he’ll die.’

Frodo stepped up behind Rosamunda, taking up her hand in his. ‘We’ll all help, cousin,’ he said.

’Indeed we will,’ Mistress Cotton said firmly, and Rose nodded.

’I have some tonic here,’ the healer said, ‘and you can give him a large dollop in a cup of tea every hour, but it’ll do him no good if he doesn’t take food — and warm milk with a touch of honey would be better than tea. Do I make myself clear?’ she said, gazing intently into the mother’s eyes.

Rosamunda nodded slowly, her resolve hardening. ‘Very clear,’ she said firmly.

’You take a rest now, Mistress,’ Mrs Cotton said firmly. ‘You’ve been travelling for days, and it won’t do your son any good should you fall ill. We’ll manage the next few feedings.’ She looked to her daughter. ‘Rose, dish up some of that apple compote we made today; it’s good and fresh and flavourful. I’ll stir up a nice custard for his next meal.’

’A rest is a good idea,’ Healer Grubb said, taking Rosamunda’s arm and guiding her from the kitchen. ‘I’ll just see you settled, and watch over Rose to see how the apple compote goes, and then I’ll stop in first thing on the morrow.’

’I am well,’ Rosamunda’s protest floated back to the others in the kitchen, but evidently the old healer had her way for she returned alone, saying, ‘Where’s that apple compote?’

’Right here,’ Rose said, picking up the spoon and a clean cloth in one hand, bowl in the other. The healer examined the apple compote with a critical eye and gave a satisfied nod. ‘I wouldn’t mind a little of that myself when we’re through,’ she said.

Freddy tried to turn away from the spoon, but Rose was merciless. ‘I’m told you like a saucy apple,’ she said with a smile, determination in her tone, ‘and these are very saucy indeed.’

***

Odovacar stood in shock; his brother Rudivacar had the presence of mind to take his arm, guide him to a chair and sit him down. ‘Do you have a glass of water?’ he said urgently to Reginard.

Reginard quickly poured out a glassful from a pitcher on the side table and brought it to them.

’Drink, brother,’ Rudi urged. Odo shook his head, but Rudi pressed the glass upon him until he drank just to have his brother leave off.

’Better?’ Reginard said, eyeing the older hobbit closely.

’Yes, thank you,’ Odo murmured. The others were glad to see colour slowly returning to his face.

’What did you mean, Estella is not here?’ Rudi pressed.

’Just what I said,’ Reginard answered. He smiled faintly. ‘Wouldn’t you think we’d have noticed, were she here?’ Estella’s lively spirit could hardly be contained, after all. The last time the Bolgers had visited, she’d practically turned the Great Smials on its head.

’But—‘ Odo said. He tried again. ‘We sent her to Tookland.’

’Sent her to Tookland?’ Reginard said slowly. His eyes narrowed. ‘When?’

'Last Spring,’ Rudi said. ‘The Shire was becoming too dangerous for pretty lasses, and Odo and Rosamunda were afraid someone would point out to the ruffians that Rosa was a Took, which would put her and the children in danger.’

’None have passed the borders of Tookland but a few Tooks who stole out to gather news,’ Reginard said.

Rudi seized on this fact eagerly. ‘That’s right!’ he said. ‘Rosemary Bolger is Rosamunda’s niece, and Ferdibrand, her brother—‘

’Rosemary Bolger is no longer a Took,’ Reginard said. ‘She was disowned by her father when she married.’

’Rosemary’s brother Ferdibrand,’ Rudi continued doggedly, ‘was said to visit her periodically, to gather news.’

’Said by whom?’ Reginard demanded.

Rudi shrugged. ‘Does it matter?’ he asked. ‘Freddy found out somehow; even then he was going out at night, to “inconvenience” the ruffians. He might have heard of other hobbits doing the same thing.’

’Even if Ferdi were slipping out of Tookland he wouldn’t have gone by his own name,’ Reginard said.

’No, he was known as “the Fox”, I believe,’ Rudi said.

Reginard nodded slowly. ‘If you know that much, I suppose there’s no use denying it,’ he conceded.

’Freddy took Estella to Rosemary Bolger’s home,’ Rudi said. ‘Rosemary admitted that Ferdi would visit soon, and that she’d impose upon him to take Estella back into Tookland. That was the last we heard. Rosemary told us that she’d send word only if something went wrong, that “no news” would be “good news”.’

’I see,’ Reginard said thoughtfully.

’Is Ferdibrand here, in the Smials?’ Odo asked. ‘May I speak with him?’

’He is here in the Smials,’ Reginard said.

’Very well, then!’ Rudi said. ‘We’ll talk to him, and he’ll tell us what happened to Estella!’

’If only it were that simple,’ Reginard said ruefully.

’What do you mean?’ Rudi asked, feeling Tookishly irritated, though he was Bolger through and through.

Reginard took a deep breath, and sorrow was in his voice when next he spoke. ‘Ferdibrand was badly injured in the Battle of Bywater,’ he said. ‘He is not expected to live.’

***

’Where are you going?’ Frodo asked Merry, seeing his cousin draw on his gloves and settle his cloak about his shoulders after the healer took her leave.

’I told Pippin I’d meet him in the morning, to ride to Buckland,’ Merry said.

’I thought you were going to spend the night in Bywater,’ Frodo said, raising a quizzical eyebrow. ‘It’s the middle of the night! Why don’t you get a few hours of sleep, first?’

’I’m not sleepy,’ Merry countered. ‘Besides, Pip was actually expecting me earlier today, so I’m already a day late!’ He glanced at Frodo. ‘Why aren’t you in bed?’

’I had a nap earlier,’ Frodo answered, ‘which is more than I can say for you!’

Merry laughed. ‘The solicitous older cousin!’ he said. ‘I’m not a babe, that you have to send me off to bed, Frodo! I can take care of myself, honestly I can.’

’You might start by sleeping,’ Frodo said.

Merry shook his head. ‘I’ll sleep,’ he said.

’When?’ Frodo pressed.

’When I get to Tuckborough, undoubtedly. You’re making me later with every word. If I’m robbed of sleep, it will be your fault!’

’Merry—‘ Frodo began, but with another laugh, his cousin broke in.

’Watch over Freddy for me, will you?’ he said. ‘Tell him I’ll be thinking of him as we drive the ruffians out of the Shire.’

’Tell him yourself,’ Frodo said, grabbing his arm. ‘Merry, you don’t want to ride to Tookland in the dark. Don’t you remember what Pippin said, about the traps the Tooks laid for the ruffians? Your pony’s likely to break a leg!’

Merry abruptly lost his smile. ‘I hadn’t thought of that,’ he said.

’You should have,’ Frodo said sternly. ‘You’re dropping on your feet. Go to bed! First light is early enough to depart, and you’ll have a fine breakfast cooked by Rosie Cotton in the bargain.’

’Rosie Cotton’s cooking,’ Merry said thoughtfully. ‘You can be very persuasive when you set your mind to it, Mayor — er, I mean, cousin.’

’Go on with you,’ Frodo said with irritation, but after Merry had taken himself off to the bed made up for him by Mrs Cotton he chuckled softly.

Mrs. Cotton entered the kitchen to check on the custard in the oven. ‘Set up nicely,’ she said with satisfaction. She cocked a sharp eye at Frodo. ‘And why are you not in bed, Mr Baggins?’ she asked.

’I was waiting for a taste of that fine-smelling custard,’ Frodo said candidly, ‘and then I thought I’d take a turn feeding some of it to Freddy. I haven’t had the chance to badger him properly for ages.’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List