Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Wedding Woes  by Calairiel Malromiel

~Settling In~

 

As Fëanor, Nerdanel and the girls settled into their telain - Fëanor insisted he could navigate the ethereal structure that wrapped around a grouping of three large accommodating trees - he wasn’t surprised to learn his sons had opted for the Faire Grounds just outside the forest. They insisted they preferred to keep their feet firmly on the ground, thank you very much!

Maglor and the Ambarussa had sought them out right away and they happily helped with the settling in while keeping up a steady stream of chatter, filling in their parents with their doings as the Ambarussa reintroduced themselves to their little sisters as it had been a long time since they’d made the journey to visit their parents. Not a lot of time as counted by the eldar, but the girls didn’t remember their brothers at all and were delighted to see they weren’t the only ones who had a twin.

Their delight grew when Eiliana and Eliadmë came to call and Nerdanel saw for the first time what had so enraptured her sons, for they were simply lovely in both form and fëar! And she loved sitting out on the veranda with her husband and enjoying a nice cuppa in the fresh crisp air in these first days of yávan, when the leaves were just beginning to clothe themselves in their festive glory. Watching her sons with her daughters and future daughters-in-honor, Nerdanel felt as content as she had in the springtime of her marriage with her Fëanor.

Catching her stray thought, Fëanor smiled and brought up her hand to plant a loving kiss on the inside of her wrist while their fëar swirled and mingled intimately within their Bond, and then said, "It's nice here isn't it?"

"Yes, indeed, beloved. And while I love the splendor of Orehtelë and the rugged beauty of Rónaranië, I have to say there is something about being within the forest here that is so soothing to my fëa." she sighed.

"I agree, beloved. Somehow in our Beginnings we discovered those things we were good at and instead staying together as a people we separated into those tribes that forever separated us into those grouping with a singular talent. That may have been a mistake." Fëanor mused.

"Aye. But we were new and had no understanding at the time and no one to tell us differently. Had there been no Morgoth we probably would have mingled more. We were all in one place, after all." Nerdanel said, and then, "But it is what it is and there's nothing to be done about it. If anything our sons have shown that there is still the choice of a mingling." contentedly gazing at her children at play.

And in the grassy glade within encircling telain that housed the families of the royal family, Maglor played while the Ambarussa made wildflower crowns for their beloveds and the little ellyth were delightfully brushing and braiding the Gwenyneilian’s hair and when the girls ran out of flowers to place in their braids the ellyth would sing up more blooms to the delight of the little ones who gleefully picked them to add to their masterpieces.

“Ah, They’re magical!” Nerdanel smiled sedately, completely relaxed.

“Yes, the woodelf magic. Every tribe has their own talents, though I’d be hard pressed to name what the vanyar are good at.” he smirked.

“Now, now." Nerdanel gently chided, "Haven’t you figured that out yet? They all have the voice of power. All their songs bring visions with them. When they tell a story they can make you see it play out. It’s how Findaráto nearly beat that dark maia.”

“Thingol’s daughter actually defeated that same maia.” Fëanor pointed out.

“Yes and she also sang Morgoth, himself, asleep. And then sang Mandos into giving her and her husband a new life. I think it helps that she was half maiar herself, dear. And that one little detail takes nothing away from our Findaráto who is just a lowly elf like the rest of us.” Nerdanel said smugly.

“Yes, yes, fine. But for all the lore of the Noldor even I have to admit the Teleri are more gifted than most. They have strong elemental magic whether on the waters or in the forest. Why I’ve even heard tales of their king being able to calm the beasts in his woods.” Fëanor said.

“Yes and I can see how such would be very nice to be around. It is very soothing here. I think I’ll ask the ladies if they’d like to join us for dinner.” and before Fëanor could issue a protest she was up and walking over to the ellyth. Fëanor could see his sons’ had finished their floral crowns and his daughters their masterpiece of braids and the princesses stood in their floral splendor, smiling prettily at their future mother-in-honor.

But when she issued her invites they politely declined, curtsied to her, their betrotheds and most especially to the little girls and then they left with a skip to their step and made their way to a very large Talan that was across the glade. When the rest made their way towards their guest-talan, Fëanor heard, “You scared them away, amil!” and “Indeed! That is not the way of things here.”

“Well, I didn’t mean to show poor manners. I thought I was being hospitable.” Nerdanel said as they entered the talan.

“Can you tell me what the proper thing would have been to do?” Fëanor asked.

“Oh, they aren’t as formal as haru’s court.” Amras said.

“But we will have to wait for an invitation from either their atar or one of their brothers.” Amrod said.

“And after that we can visit whenever we like and have them over for meals.” Amras concluded.

“And that’s it.” they both concluded.

“And I don’t need to go and present myself?” Fëanor asked, for he'd already met the ladies' family and wondered if this was a marriage formality.

“No atar. That will be the purpose of the invitation. They will probably invite you and ammë over for tea, lunch or dinner and that will be when all the niceties are observed.” Amrod smiled as he laid the dinnerware.

“And I’m sure they’ll also wish to go over all the arrangements and explain their traditions for the binding since that is your job.” Amras said as he helped his mother place the food on the table and settle his sisters. 

“That is well then. Very organized and to the point. I find I approve. Our betrothal ceremonies and traditions can really bog things down. Things weren't always so complicated.” Fëanor noted.

“You are thinking of our brother.” Amras smiled.

“I am! No complications and the lady’s family weren’t offended or outraged. They were simply happy their daughter found her One.” Fëanor smiled.  

“What I’d like to know is what you find so engrossing here that you won’t even consider returning to your atar’s realm and raising your families there?” Nerdanel asked the dreaded question. 

The two exchanged a glance and said, “Hobbits!” and Nerdanel looked at her husband, who was barely able to smother his grin before explaining to his confused wife, “They speak of the halflings, my love. You must have seen them when Artanis returned.”

“Yes, I did. But what of them?” 

“King Thranduil brought the whole population when he arrived. Along with the dwarves, of course.” Amras said.

“Yes, indeed. And if it wasn’t for the Hobbits it would be for the dwarves.” Amrod added.

“Indeed yes! Both are so different from elves it’s quite refreshing.” Amras concurred.

“Yes, brother, but the Silvans are quite different from those of Aman, as well. Which is also refreshing.” Amrod pointed out.

“That’s true. And it’s strange for these Sindar to be more at home with their Silvan counterparts.” Amras said thoughtfully.

“Not so strange. They were all part of the same Telerin clan in their beginnings. These just chose to take their customs as their own instead of insisting they adapt to the Sindarin customs.” Amrod said.

“Aye, but they did take up their technologies.” Amras said.

“So a blending of two cultures that enhanced both peoples.” Fëanor said in approval.

“Exactly!” they both chimed. Fëanor had to admit he’d missed that from them, though his girls did the same. Except for right now. Right now they were just watching with wide eyed attention. He was sure they were chatting to one another trying to decide what to make of the adult talk.

“But that still doesn’t explain why you refuse to come home.” Nerdanel said, exasperated and missing her boys dreadfully.

“We aren’t refusing to come home. We are choosing to make this our home. And it’s not like we won’t visit nor that you can’t visit us here.” Amrod said.

“Aye! It’ll be an excuse to fly the airships!” Amras grinned.

Suddenly the twins burst out together, “We want an Epessë!” and then looked wide-eyed at their family as everyone turned to look at them and the two weren’t used to being the center of attention in such a setting. But then Telpinë, the bolder of the two, said, “All the twins have one! You have Ambarussa!” she said almost accusingly.

“And your ladies have Gwenyneilian!”

“Elrond’s sons have Elwanûr.”

“Star-twins! Oh, that’s nice.” Nerdanel exclaimed.

“And Eluréd and Elurín have Celewanûn, the silver twins.” Amras said, thinking and looking at his sisters.

“But we want that one!” Telemnë said, crestfallen.

“Well, theirs is Sindarin. What about...Onónailsa? It is the quenya form of silver-twins but using the super secret mystical word for silver!” Fëanor leaned in as though he was imparting a special wisdom upon his daughters. The twins ate it up and smiled beatifically!

“Oh yes, atar! We love it!” they cried in unison.

 

~0~

Later on, after their sons had left and they were preparing for bed, Fëanor could feel his wife’s unhappiness. As they lay in bed, Fëanor wrapped his arms around her and mind-spoke to her through ósanwe, “Beloved, all will be well. We must learn to let go of them. Who knows? Perhaps after a few seasons they will decide to return to our city. But if not, there will be no reason why we can’t do as they said and fly to visit them. I believe after a few years we’ll have as many kin here as we do at home.”

“I know what you say makes sense. And it’s not as though we don’t have enough grandchildren to go around. It makes me happy to know our girls have playmates their own age. It’s just that for two millennia I was without you all and now that Laurë is finally home and we had the chance to all be together…” and she let the thought trail off. Perhaps she was being selfish.

“Nay. Do not think it. You have paid a price that no mother should pay. And I’m sorry for it.” And as she began to object, he kissed the side of her head and added, “It is alright beloved. I know I was wrong. At least in my cruelty towards you. And I should have left the Ambarussa with you.”

Sighing, Nerdanel answered fatalistically, “I thank you for saying that. But we both know it played out as it was meant to. Our boys loved you dearly and took the Doom on themselves willingly. Had they not felt so strongly about it they would have defied you and stayed with me. And I don’t believe they loved me less for their choice to follow you. I am their mother and know they love me. But they felt it a matter of honor and….I suspect there was hope for a bit of adventure involved. I don’t believe they thought it would become the utter nightmare that it was.”

“Our poor boys. We must try to help them have a good life. Even if that means they live somewhere else.” Fëanor said.

“Alright beloved. Sleep well.” Nerdanel said.

“In your arms? Always.” Fëanor smiled.

 

~Meeting the In-Laws!~

The next morning Lord Belegon arrived with his sons, Collion and Falver, all three sporting the pale red-gold hair and aqua eyes of Mirilla, King Thranduil’s wife. They bowed and cheerfully introduced themselves to a bemused Nerdanel - who wasn’t a morning person - until Fëanor joined her and greeted them with easy familiarity.

“Ah! Good morning, my lords. How are you on this fine day? I see you’ve found my lovely Nerdanel.”

“Indeed, my lord! And you’re correct! She is as lovely as a lingering sunset.” Belegon grinned in his open and good natured manner.

Color now staining her cheeks, Nerdanel found she liked these easy going elves who also had such nice manners. She could see why her sons fell under their spell. “Please, would you like to join us for tea?” she asked, completely forgetting what her sons’ had told her the day before. Fëanor’s eyes widened a little in alarm, fearing a slight.

But Belegon eased his concerns when he laughed, his eyes twinkling, quickly realizing the lady hadn’t had her morning tea yet and wasn't quite with them yet, saying, “Thank you, no, my lady. Though we thank you for the offer. No, we have come to invite you all for lunch.”

And before Nerdanel could fret about her girls, Collion added, “And you needn't worry about your ellyth. My andaeriel’s children are of their age and she has offered to watch over them.”

“Andaeriel?” Nerdanel asked faintly, for Collion still looked green about the ear-tips and Fëanor, misunderstanding, offered, “His great granddaughter, love.”

To which, Nerdanel rolled her eyes and said, “I know Telerin. He just seems, seems…” and her eyes widened when she realized she was about to make a personal comment about him, but he laughed easily and his adar said, “Have no fear, my lady. He’s used to it.” and then, “Is noontime convenient?”

“Indeed, yes!” Fëanor agreed.

“Very good. Falver here,” who grinned and waved, “Will come and direct you to our Talan. Until then?”

“Until then, my lord!” Fëanor smiled.

After closing the door, Nerdanel crumpled and moaned, “Oh I made a complete fool of myself. I should never have answered the door!”

Chuckling, Fëanor embraced her and said, “Nay. It is alright, my love. You just informed them you are not all there before your morning tea and they seemed to understand very well.” and kissing her brow, he added, “Come! Let us feed our little harridans so they are in good humour when we drop them into the laps of Lord Collion’s unsuspecting family!”

 

~0~

The Luncheon was a smashing success, especially since Nerdanel was fully caffeinated and in good cheer. She absolutely adored Belegon’s wife, Celalpheth, whose name meant silver swan, and who was as lovely as her name implied. And as the males spoke about the binding ceremony the ladies wandered off to walk about the garden areas Celalpheth had decorated with hanging wisteria that she would gently scold when attempting to escape their confinement and choke one the trees the talan was built around.

Nerdanel was considered a mage in her stone-work, but she found she was enchanted by the plant-lore of these Telerin elves.

Then, when her girls were delivered back and trying not to show how disappointed they were to be parted from their new friends, the Fëanoreans thanked their hosts for a fine time and bid them good day. When they returned Fëanor told his wife that was the whole of the Sindarin niceties and they’d be welcome to come and go now, as they pleased.

Oh, my! You mean we can just go and drop in on them?” Nerdanel asked, for it was one of the more irritating things she’d found in Tirion that there was the constant need to send a messenger with an announcement or reply to a proposed casual visit from friends and kin alike.

“Yes, indeed. I don’t know what kind of court Thingol maintained, but these ones who joined themselves to the Silvan did away with much of their courtly manners. I’m told that they did seem to insist on dressing up their king and royals like a child’s doll, but for the most part they are very much like we all were in our Beginnings.”

Laughing, Nerdanel said, “A child’s doll?”

“Yes! Lord Belegon said they were mostly left alone once their sire, Oropher, was made king, but they also insisted they dress a certain way for feasts and official visits. And since Oropher and his son were kin to Thingol they were used to it. But Belegon said he was born in Sirion and had been permitted to run around like a little fëa sprite, as he put it, and after the years of traveling to the Rhovanion he was not pleased at all in having to dress in courtly attire.” Fëanor smirked.

“You like him!” Nerdanel said in wonder.

“I do! I like all of them. I can’t wait until we go to Celegorm’s village so you can see a real Silvan Village!” he said in excitement.

“Is it far?” Nerdanel asked, thinking of her girls.

“Nay! They are close by way of a major river here and we’ll make the journey by boat. They live on the shores of a large freshwater lake where Celegorm sails and fishes for the village. It’s beautiful there, my love. Simply beautiful.” he enthused.

“Oh, I can’t wait!.” she was wondering if she couldn’t talk him into letting them stay until the new babes arrived. But she needn’t have worried. Fëanor planned to do just that!

 

~Game Night~

“Has anyone seen Arakáno?” Fingolfin asked, looking around as they walked to the meeting hall.

“You really need to stop clinging to that boy! You’re going to stunt him!” Fëanor grimaced. The rest of his kin had arrived over the past week, most of whom having chosen the Faire Grounds as their place of abode. Fëanor had been summoned by his atar and as he made his way to the meeting hall, he’d been joined by his brothers on the way, who had also received the summons.

Fingolfin knew Fëanor was right, but he just couldn’t. Fëanor had never held his child as they bled out and Fingolfin would forever feel grief and guilt over that.

And Fëanor suddenly understood and pulled his brother aside, waving Finarfin on, who shrugged and continued on his way. “Alright. Out with it.”

“I don’t……”

“Cut the crap, Ñolo! It’s been ten thousand years since you lost him. He’s been back out in the world for eight thousand years! Yet you cling to him like he’s a toddler. Look at him! He’s just as big as Nelyo and he’s a fine figure of an elf. He can take care of himself.” and turning a fierce gaze on his brother, he added, “You have to let him go!”

Sighing, Fingolfin said, “You’re right, brother. But in this I may need your help. Knowing with my mind that he is fine doesn’t erase the memory I have of him dying in my arms.”

“He died in your arms?” Fëanor asked and let out an explosive breath when Fingolfin nodded sadly. “I’m sorry, brother. I’m not sure I’d be able to get over that myself. I saw all my sons die, of course. Part of Námo’s gentle mercies, I suppose.”

“I believe there was a desire to punish you. As if to throw it in your face, Look what you’ve done to your poor children! But I also know Námo has a lot less autonomy than we supposed.” Fingolfin said bluntly.

“Hence the beginning of the changes when you arrived.” Fëanor said with the clarity of hindsight. 

“Yes, though I would have argued vehemently against that hypothesis at the time. But I suppose I inadvertently gave him an opportunity when I asked for what I did - which was to be with my son.”

“You would have argued about everything at that time. In fact, you’re still argumentative.” Fëanor said, adding, “Obviously he saw something in you that he felt he could encourage. Exactly what was it you two talked about when he’d call you to the school masters desk?”

“Probably the fact I was the only one dumb enough to poke a bunch of holes in their brother.” Fingolfin sighed, and then, “It always started with him telling me I couldn’t do what I was doing and me saying I’d do as I pleased. I don’t know if I was trying to goad him - as I’ve said before, I didn’t care - but if what I was doing was so intolerable he’d have taken what he’d given me. And he never did.”

“And…?” Fëanor prompted.

“We played strategy games. There was one I did pretty well at - Backgammon - but that was mostly due to the luck of the dice.”

“How strange that that’s what we're about to do right now. Go watch our elders play games all night.” Fëanor said wryly as he sauntered toward the meeting chambers appropriated for the night’s activities.

“Yes and our presence is required so we can fetch and carry for them.” Fingolfin sighed, despondently following his brother.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List