Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Wedding Woes  by Calairiel Malromiel

~Lord Irmo’s Visit~

Fëanor was checking the rigging and instruments on his airship. This particular one was a specially built one that could almost be called a Royal Barge - if it sailed upon the waters. But this was an airship and it had been designed to carry his family and so it was large enough to accommodate his wife, daughters and all his sons and their families. For they were off to Tol Kimbalaer to attend the wedding of their sons and brothers, the Ambarussa at long last. 

Fëanor had a team of engineers and crew to outfit and check everything on board, but being Fëanor that meant he was going to check it out himself to make sure it was in perfect working order. Especially since it was about to carry a good portion of his family. Killing his family was not to be born - even if he had a Ñolofinwë that would chase him and his family out of the Halls and back out into the corporeal realm. Maglor had confided that his uncle had talked his ear off to the point that he’d left just to shut him up!

He knew his son was half joking, but he did owe Ñolo for the fact that he was enough of a storyteller that he’d piqued Laurë’s curiosity to see those things for himself. And since his release he’d reunited with his wife and he and Faila Ingólomë had been blessed with twin sons of their own they called Elerossë and Ellindë which is star-foam and star-song. 

Fëanor thought it somehow poetic that he had his own twin terrors and at least he had the experience with the twin terrors that had been Elros and Elrond! Even having the Ambarussa as siblings hadn’t prepared Maglor and Maedhros for the imps that were those boys!

And he’d been pleased with Elrond’s reaction to the news. He'd been so touched that Maglor had named their eldest after his brother, Elros, that tears had sprung to his eyes. Maglor, misunderstanding and thinking he’d made a grave error, had assured him that if it upset him he’d change his son’s name. But Elrond had vehemently told him he’d better not dare and then threw himself into Maglor’s arms and thanked him for remembering Elros.

And since his babes were just that, he’d decided to leave his family at home and had already left for Tol Kimbalaer as he and Daeron had been requested to play at the Ambarussa’s wedding. They were to join two other renown minstrels - Ivárë and Timpinen Gelion - and the two were quite excited about the prospect of playing with other renown masters of their craft.

He was just checking the pressure mechanism that maintained the heated air when he heard a soft cough behind him, startling him badly! Turning furiously to rip the intruder a new one - everyone knew not to bother him while he was checking over such sensitive equipment - and found himself face to face with Lord Irmo!

“Uh...Uh…” Fëanor stuttered.

“Calm yourself, elfling. I come to you because I believe you’re the only one who can help your brother.” and then he outlined what exactly he meant by that. To which, Fëanor exclaimed, “Argh! There is something wrong with you people!”

 

~Tol Kimbalaer~

The island of Tol Kimbalaer was something of a mess at the moment. Lord Nowë, formerly known as Círdan the Shipwright, was at a loss as to what to do. He supposed they’d just have to wait it out. It being the Valar’s insistence on attaching every single loose bit of rock or island that had once been part of the Enchanted Isles, to their landmass. 

The last time Prince Fëanáro had stopped by in his airship, he’d said it looked like a giant crab from the air. But that was before the Valar had moved several more of the islands into place creating a protected bay that was to all intents and purposes an inland sea now. There were still channels in several places so ships could maneuver in and out of the bay and it wasn’t the only inland sea at this point. 


Tol Kimbalear

Several of those - created by them slapping islands into place and affixing them - had miraculously turned into freshwater lakes and any irregularities in the topography started to form rivers and streams that threaded the growing island continent. And those living there had no idea why the Valar were so intent upon enlarging their island home, for they’d been content with what they had. But, no matter. There didn’t appear to be anything they could do about it anyway, as it wasn't as though they were being consulted about it.

In the meantime, they’d gotten quite used to the ground tremors that accompanied the attachment of yet another bit of land, and the day came in which Lord Nowë finally understood why such a large landmass was needed. For the elves of Sindanórië, Elu Thingol’s Realm of Fairinor, began to arrive. First in small numbers and then in larger waves until the entire remnants of Doriath and the royal family of Elu Thingol himself arrived. Nowë resigned himself to receiving a demand that the entire isle be turned over to his control. 

But no such request came. Indeed, Old Elu gruffly announced he’d retired and just wanted to be left in peace. Nowë grinned to himself in amusement. There seemed to be a lot of that going around. All the former kings had had a belly full of ruling and just wanted to relax and enjoy their lives. His grandfather, Olwë, had learned that lesson a long time ago, having given the stewardship of the city to his son, Volwë.

But right now he had to send the escort skiffs to lead Prince Fëanáro to the part of the island that would be the easiest to traverse to the New Woodland Realm - which had shifted since the prince’s last visit and was sure would annoy the Noldo immensely. Every time he’d arrived he’d had to re-orientate himself and he’d found it much more difficult and disorientating to make his way inland to find the Woodland Realm. This time would be no different!

The biggest headache Nowë predicted he’d be suffering from soon, was the many, many Noldorin scions who would be in no hurry to leave! For with this marriage, following the marriage of Prince Celegorm to a Silvan ellith, meant three of Prince Fëanáro’s sons were now going to be permanent residents of this island community. And this apparently had given others the idea that this might just be the perfect place to find some eligible wives! And if successful they’d find it nigh impossible to convince those Silvan ladies to leave their new forest home.

Which meant those Noldorin lads would stay. Aiiiii.....

 

~0~

As Fëanor’s ship passed over and left Tol Eressëa behind, he brought out his optical magnifier to gaze out across the sea to check their progress and there was no mistaking the enormous landmass that was now Tol Kimbalaer and he growled deep in his throat for it was plain to see that island had gained more bits and pieces since his last visit.

His Nerdanel would laugh at his irritation when he’d come home complaining that the island grew ever larger and he could see no reason why the Valar were taking the trouble to add more and more to it. It had been several decades since they’d liberated his grandson, Elrond’s parents and grandparents and they’d had no problem sinking that island! 

And it had been even longer since the last Elvenking of Ennorath had arrived with his strange cargo of Dwarves and Hobbits. He could understand wanting them to have enough room to grow, but they’d been tacking on the daisy-chain of the former Enchanted Isles in all that time. One would think they’d run out of islands by now!

He didn’t begrudge the effort but it was a pain in the ass every time he visited that he had to relearn the island as all former landmarks were gone, shifted or pushed so far inland they made no difference in marking them anymore. It was all very frustrating each time he came to visit his sons.

While the Ambarussa were courting their princesses, Fëanor made a trip to visit as he was worried about Celegorm who had returned to the island. And when he’d arrived he’d found his son wed. And while he’d found his son’s wife a delightful imp of an ellith, he had a hard time trying not to show how shocked and hurt he’d felt. When he got his son alone he’d asked Celegorm why he hadn’t sent for his family to witness his marriage.

“Because it wasn’t like that, atar. It just...sort of happened.” Celegorm said, looking away and a blush rising in his cheeks.

“I see.” Fëanor said. And not wishing his son to think he disapproved, he added, “So twas a natural marriage, then. Just like the Unbegotten in our beginnings. My own parents wed thusly.” 

“Truly, atar?” Celegorm asked, wide eyed.

“Aye. And if you think about it, that's how Elwë Singollo found himself wed..” Fëanor smiled.

“Yes, I know that story. He wed a maiar. I wonder why the Valar make such a fuss about it now?” Celegorm wondered.

“That is a good question, my son, and I suspect it’s something rather banal, like wishing for an excuse to have a celebration and feast. And as you’ve discovered, natural marriages still happen even to this very day.” Fëanor grinned, nudging his son, who smiled shyly in return.

When he’d returned to share the news with his wife, she’d burst into tears. Fëanor was horrified and tried to comfort her saying the ellith was a very fine lady, though a bit on the wild side, being a Silvan Woodelf. In other words, a perfect mate for their son. But Nerdanel had swatted at him and called him a fool of an elf. 

“I’m not upset, you dolt! I’m happy!” she sniffled, “I was afraid he’d never find his One. The only girl he ever formed an attachment with was Írissë.”

“That was only because she was just like him.” Fëanor said, ruefully.

Nerdanel gave a watery chuckle, saying, “I know Anairë was completely exasperated with her. She complained it was impossible to get her into a gown and she insisted on wearing her brother’s breeches and tunics. Not a proper young lady at all!”

“Well, come to think of it, the only proper young lady in our entire House was Findis and it took a terrible prank to turn her.” Fëanor exclaimed. He still wasn't sorry about that.

“Aye! I’ve never seen her behave unbecomingly, but I’ve heard...odd things of Lalwen.”

“Indeed, yes! Lally is someone you don’t want to get on the wrong side of! It’s no wonder to me that she’s Ñolo’s favorite sibling.”

“Well,” Nerdanel began, dabbing at her tears, “We aren’t talking about your brothers or sisters, we are talking about our son and I’m just so happy he’s found his life-mate. I just feared so much that he’d end up alone and that’s no way to spend your life.”

More surprising was when Celegorm had arrived with his wife Ealanna, to Orehtelë to introduce his parents to their newborn son, Caranor. Fëanor had been shocked, but welcomed them while surreptitiously informing the household staff to make the prince’s rooms ready for the wedded couple, including the accoutrements needed for a newborn! 

They’d had an enjoyable visit and Fëanor insisted on flying them back himself. Now he was looking forward to not only performing the ceremony at the binding of his youngest sons, he’d also gotten word that Celegorm and Ealanna were expecting again! Twins this time! A boy and a girl. Of course he and Nerdanel were ecstatic at the news.

His eldest, Maitimo, joked his three brothers had gone native - but Fëanor knew he wasn’t wrong! Those three sons had been renowned hunters in their youth and they’d completely given it up! They were all fishermen now! Fishermen! Fëanor would be upset….except he was deliriously happy they’d found their life-mates and were happy now. Settled! 

Or almost all settled. Just one more wedding to get through and then he’d be visiting his grandbabies! And at least his girls were old enough to make the trip this time which meant his Nerdanel was with him and seemed to be enjoying their air-voyage. She’d always been an adventurous ellith and he was glad she still had that same spirit within her. 

And his daughters, Telemnë and Telpinë, seemed to be especially enjoying the trip. All the children were enjoying the trip and they were everywhere! He’d forgotten how fast young children could move and the adults were definitely outnumbered on this voyage! They reminded him uncomfortably of the Ambarussa when they’d been young. They’d been almost uncontrollable in their youth and it was only the fact that they’d had five older brothers that the two had survived into adulthood!

Suddenly a small airskiff came alongside them and an, “AHOY there! Permission to come aboard, my lord!” sounded and getting permission from Fëanor, a grappling hook appeared and caught hold of their ship and an ellon ran lightly across the rope, much to Nerdanel’s horror and all the children’s delight! 

Dropping lightly onto the deck and with a hasty bow and introducing himself as Voronwë, son of Aranwë of the Houses of Fingolfin and Olwë and explaining he was there to direct Fëanáro’s ship to a new bay that had opened up quite near the woodland realm. 

As he spoke he detached the hook and then busily started tying lines thrown to him from various airskiffs that now surrounded them. And then in a booming voice that didn’t match his stature, he called out that all was secure and the airskiffs began slowly turning and towing the larger ship toward the direction they wished to direct them.

Fëanáro, his interest piqued by the ellon’s claim that he was of both the House of his brother and Olwë, asked how he was related to both houses.

“Ah well, let’s see...my naneth is Lord Nowë’s sister, making him my uncle. And of course, that makes Lord Olwë my andaeradar. As for my adar, he’s brother to Lady Anairë and brother-in-honor to Lord Ñolofinwë and my uncle.” Voronwë said cheerfully.

“I see. But it seems to me I’ve heard your name - specifically. In the Halls as part of the unfolding stories that took place in Beleriand in the First Age.” Fëanáro said speculatively, an eyebrow raised in inquiry. He might as well ask since he wasn’t required to steer just now!

Laughing, Voronwë said, “I hadn’t thought I rated a mention in the stories from that Age. But if you must know, my family followed King Turgon and were of Gondolin. My King sent me to my Uncle Nowë as one of the many ships he sent to Valinor to request aid. After seven unsuccessful years seeking a way to Aman, all aboard my ship perished except me when we were within sight of the coast of Nevrast by the grace of Lord Ulmo. I entered that long abandoned city and found Tuor, son of Huor, bearing the sword, armour and shield that King Turgon had left by the command of Lord Ulmo. He spoke the words of Lord Ulmo and I led him to Gondolin. There he gave the message to King Turgon - who ignored it - but allowed the man to stay and wed his daughter, the Princess Idril. That was the only part I played.” and then, “Oh! And I was also part of the crew that sailed with my Lord Eärendil aboard Vingilótë when he sought Aman. I made it there that time and returned with the host for the War of Wrath and then brought my family back here. That is all.”

And as Fëanor stood with his mouth agape, which Nerdanel gently closed for him, while exclaiming, “My goodness! That is all? Young ellon! I’m here to tell you that you were very much favored by the Valar and it seems to me you were born and placed in the very places where you would be needed to play a very important part.” and turning to her husband, asked, “Don’t you think so, husband?”

“Indeed!” Fëanor agreed, eyebrows practically resting in his hairline.

 

~The Un-king~

Thranduil, former king of the Woodland Realm, was feeling out of his depth. He was currently up to his earlobes in Noldor and he was running out of places to stash them!

He was trying to do his best and he knew he wasn’t alone, but they just didn’t have the sort of accommodations they once did. He wasn’t sorry about that, but when they’d all been in the Halls all he’d have to do was to turn it over to Galion and it was magically done!

He was joined by his father and the smirk on his face let Thranduil know he was the butt of some cosmic joke he alone was clueless of. Heading him off, he asked, “Why the smirk, ada? You look like you're in on some joke I’m unaware of. And while I don’t necessarily mind that, I’d at least like to know what I’ve done that is so amusing?”

“Nothing so dramatic, son. I’m just enjoying you look so out of your depth. I imagine that doesn’t happen often to you.”

“That’s not true, ada. I was completely lost after you...er...left the first time. Besides, I just don’t know how to handle this. I have too many people here and not enough places to put them.”

“That is a pickle.”

Sighing, Thranduil said, “Alright, ada. What are you trying not to tell me?”

“Well, son, I rather think it’s an uncomplicated matter. Simply put, we have all chosen to live in Telain here. And if you think putting a bunch of Noldor up in the trees is a good idea, I’m here to tell you that’s a disaster just waiting to happen. We’ll be deluged with falling elves who don’t have the sense of a squirrel in no time at all. Now, that open field right outside the forest would make a fine place to set up pavilions and sturdy pergolas for outdoor cooking stations and bathing facilities and then let them sort themselves out. Put up some colorful decorations and they’ll think it a Grande Faire!” and then he smiled as he watched his son’s eyes widen as enlightenment registered and wasn’t at all surprised when he found himself in a bone-crushing bearhug from his grateful son.

“That’s perfect, ada! Thank you! I’ll get everyone right on it!” Thranduil said as he strode away, which Oropher knew meant that Galion was about to have a large project dumped in his lap.

 

~0~

Well pleased with the magical job the organizational perfection that was Galion had performed upon a pleasant but useless field that no one knew what to do with, the problem of storing the Noldor until after the wedding was tidily settled and now the Royal family - who were pretending they weren’t royal - could focus all their attention of getting their girls wed. Much to the amusement of all, the Ambarussa were completely sanguine about the whole affair. As far as they were concerned they would suffer anything just to wed their beloveds. 

Amrod had even gone as far as to say, “Just lay out the clothes you want us to wear and tell us where to stand and we’ll be fine.”

Though, as talented Smiths, they’d already wrought finely detailed filigree circlets for their ladies as a wedding gift.

Later when the Noldor started arriving it was clear that something was afoot! Instead of the polite representatives arriving to pay their respects, entire families were descending on the isle. When Lord Elrond and his kin arrived an explanation was forthcoming - and then new anxieties began bubbling to the surface. For, as it turned out, most Noldorin families were rich with sons while there was a dearth of daughters. It had also been noted that the woodland realm had plenty of unattached ellyth. 

And when three princes of the House of Finwë seemed well disposed to attach themselves to the ladies there, the rest had pounced with hopes of marrying off unattached sons in the hopes that grandchildren would be in their future! Now there was scarcely an unattached ellyth that didn’t have an escort of their male kinsmen surrounding them to keep the rapscallions away, much to the ladies' chagrin!

With all the arrivals, some would need more appropriate accommodations and several special telain had been constructed near to the Iathrim royals as guest quarters. Quite elaborate telain had already been constructed by the Ambarussa themselves for themselves and their future brides near to the ladies’ family so they would be surrounded by their kin, which was just fine! For Amras and Amrod found they liked those of the House of Oropher who had embraced them quite willingly. 

The only two they had to be wary of were the Celewanûn, the silver twins, Eluréd and Elurín who, when it came to pranks, made the Ambarussa seem like pikers in comparison. They would never admit it, but this actually impressed the hell out of the Fëanorions as they never saw it coming and it was always benign and all in good fun! And they would also never admit that it truly made them feel as welcomed members of the family. 

And to their credit, the Celewanûn knew this and acted accordingly. Plus it was fun!





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List