Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Children of Doriath (B2MEM 2011)  by Kaylee Arafinwiel

Summary: The tale of Alcarin continues...sequel to The Tower, Changing Tides, Hidden Jewel...you get the idea :-D

"Enough, Alcarin. You have taken what is not yours." And for a moment, Alcarin wondered whether he had taken it, or it had taken him...and whether he could surrender the jewel in any case. A moment that seemed to hang in the balance eternally...and finally, he made his choice.

Kneeling before Celebrian in supplication, the Reborn Noldo cast his eyes down. "I have sinned greatly," he said quietly, "and though the Valar rendered their Judgement and declared me forgiven, yet I let the memory of my past life and the Oath keep hold of me. Forgiveness I would ask of you, Celebrian of Imladris, if you would so grant it."

"Forgiveness has already been given, Alcarin," Celebrian said, ignoring the Silmaril in his hand. A white bird had been observing from the sill of the tower room's single window, and Elwing resumed her proper shape, taking the jewel as the young thief wept before them.

"Forgiveness has indeed been given," Elwing intoned. "But that forgiveness has been spurned, child of Morifinwe Curufinwion." Alcarin flinched.

"What is thy judgement upon me, Lady?" Alcarin whispered, bowing before her, his hands clenched.

"Forgiveness is not thine, for thou hast not respect for it," Elwing said, and the Light in her eyes made Alcarin remember just who Elwing's great-grandmother was as she spoke.

"Forgiveness is not thine, but Mercy shall be thy lot, Morifinwion." That was not Elwing. Alcarin jumped as the scent of a pine forest in summer breezed through the tower and suddenly everything was too bright to look at. He threw himself to the ground as Queen Melian appeared. Melian looked down on the cowering Noldo.

"It is forgotten. Let this matter be held redressed."

Alcarin let out a squeak of surprise. "F-forgotten...my lady? B-but why?"

Melian gave him a hard look. "Because, Child, this Oath nonsense has gone far enough...and if you are truly sorry, then, frankly, these Daughters of mine have far better things to be doing than dealing further with this. Events occur in the Hither Lands that need addressing far more than you do. Try not to think yourself the center of Ea."

Alcarin found himself blushing, and nodded.

"Then go with Celebrian and assist her. My great-granddaughter and I must speak alone." The dismissal was so final that neither Celebrian or Alcarin dared to disobey. They gave the Maia their obeisance and hastened out of the tower.

"Well, that is settled," Melian muttered. "Now, then, my dear. Earendil has told you of the children of Yavanna who hold the weapon of the Nameless, and this is where my lords will need you..."

Elwing listened as Melian spoke on, sending a silent prayer to the Valar that Alcarin would not be any more trouble. Or, at the very least, any worse trouble.

*Nasie!* she 'heard' Melian bespeak her in agreement, and Elwing managed a wan smile.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List