Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Unexpected Adventure [IN HIATUS]  by KathyG

Summary: In the spring of 2012, four American children find themselves thrust into an unfamiliar world and part of an unexpected adventure.  This story is AU, and blends Lord of the Rings book-verse and movie-verse.  This story also contains a lot of spiritual and religious content as a part of the AU elements.

Disclaimer: The world of Middle-earth and all its peoples belong to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien; the three films of The Lord of the Ringsbelongs to New Line Cinema and to Peter Jackson.  This story is not for profit, but is a gift for the enjoyment of those who read it.

Citations: In most chapters, there will be some quotations directly from both the books and/or the movies.  Quotations from Tolkien's books are in italics, and quotations from the movies are underlined.  Occasional quotations from other sources as well as silent dialogue, words spoken in emphasis, and passages from the Bible will also be in italics, and those citations will be footnoted at the end of each chapter in which they occur. We will also footnote research sources and credit the ideas of other people.

Thanks: We would also like to acknowledge the invaluable help of our beta, Linda Hoyland, another well-known and prolific LotR fanwriter, whose many wonderful stories also grace this site.

A/N:  One of the things that KG asked me (DF), when we were going to partner in this story, was that we try to include my OC, Mendelcar, who appears in my story “Chance Encounter”.  I agreed.  Therefore, you may see bits of that story quoted here and there in the next few chapters.  Those are from my own story, so be assured that if you see something you recognize, it is not plagiarized.  Thank you.  DF and KG.

Chapter 103: We're All in This Together

Steve put Megan down and looked at Kaylee, who had been holding his other hand.  It hadn't been far from the Citadel to the guesthouse on the Sixth Circle, where most of the Fellowship were staying.

"All right, girls, I want you both to be very good for me this morning.  Frodo and Sam will be helping us to make a very nice party for your mom, so we will be doing grown-up things.  Do you think you could do that for me?"

Both girls looked up at him and nodded.  "Yes, Daddy," Kaylee said, as Megan nodded even more vigorously.

Steve reached up and knocked on the front door of the guesthouse.  It was his first view of the lodgings being shared by the hobbits, along with Gandalf, Legolas, and Gimli.  The architecture was similar to that of the Prince and Princess of Dol Amroth's Minas Tirith home, and it was, of course, built of white marble, as was most of the city.  But the courtyard was smaller, and less ornate than that of the Prince and his family’s house.  

The door was promptly opened by Frodo himself.  The hobbit grinned up at Steve.  "Steve!" he greeted, before looking at the little girls.  He noticed that Megan was now eye to eye with him; she must have lately entered a growth spurt.  "Kaylee, Megan, welcome to our new quarters.  Come in, come in."  Frodo couldn't help but notice that Kaylee was just a bit taller than he was, unlike when they had first met in Rivendell.

The three of them came into the front hall.  Megan sniffed the air.  "I smell cookies!"

Frodo laughed.  "Sam is in the kitchen.  He made some gingersnaps," he told her.  Then he looked up to Steve.  "I thought we would work in the kitchen; there are tables and seats for us all to be comfortable," he added, as he turned to lead the way.

The kitchen was warm and bright, and Steve noticed that it had been arranged with the comfort of all its guests in mind.  There were two tables.  One was a large table of normal human size, with a large bench along one side; the other was about the size of a table for a child's nursery, and had four chairs, with heart-shaped backs.  All were made of a warm honey-coloured wood with a fine grain.  There were sheets of paper and an inkwell and quill on each table.  The paper was thicker than the paper back home, and not as smooth, as it was clearly handmade.  Steve moved the quill over and took out his trusty ballpoint pen.

"Hullo, Mister McCloud, Miss Megan, and Miss Kaylee,” said Sam, as he laid a plate of warm gingersnaps on each table.  Frodo brought out a tray with a steaming teapot, a small honeypot, and four small teacups, and one large one. 

Steve had claimed the end of the bench on the end nearest the smaller table, while Sam helped each of the little girls to a chair at the small table.  Frodo poured tea for each of the guests, and then for himself and Sam.  Steve took his tea straight.  He still preferred coffee, and they served it at the Citadel sometimes, but he knew that was a luxury, so he didn't ask.

The girls asked for plenty of honey in their cups.  The whole family had gotten used to hot tea over the time they'd been in Middle-earth.

Kaylee had refrained from squealing with delight at the sight of the table and its surrounding chairs, and now she was rubbing the little chair in which she sat.  "Daddy!  I love this table-and-chairs!  I want one like that!"

Steve laughed.  "Well, I'll see what I can do when we get home, kitten."

Sam had passed around the gingersnaps, and all had enthusiastically praised them, making the hobbit blush bright red to the tips of his ears.

"Since this is really going to be short notice," Steve said, "we should probably not make it very elaborate."

Frodo nodded.  "I agree.  Invitations are being done in person.  It's very odd, but for a city as civilized as Minas Tirith, I have been very surprised they have no official post service."

To be honest, he was surprised that they even had a postal service in the Shire.  He knew that in the USA, official mail had not begun until the late 1700s.  Instead, he just nodded.  "In person is probably better, since it is to be a small party."

Picking up his ballpoint, he added, "Just what is this guest list like?"

"Well, you and your family…that's six.  All of the Fellowship, of course, though we won't count Kevin, Jennifer, and Joey twice, so that is nine.  Lord Faramir, of course, and Master Menelcar will perform for us…ten…"  Frodo paused, thinking.  "Since Éomer and Éowyn are coming, they will likely bring a guard or two, and there will also be a few guards for the King; they’ll probably be selected from Pippin’s company, and Beregond will most likely be included.  That will bring us up to close to twenty…"

Steve blinked.  That was already more than he expected.  He looked at the names jotted down so far.

"We need for Bergil and Sador to come!" Kaylee put in, smiling.  "That way, we’ll have someone to play with!"  She looked at Megan as she spoke.

"Yeah, and the Elves!" said Megan.  "And I want Radagast, too!"

"Of course," Steve said.  "But this list is really pretty long already."  He turned to Frodo as he looked at the growing list.  "Are you certain there will be room for everyone?"

Frodo and Sam both laughed.  "In this big place?" Sam said.  "Why, it's bigger than Bag End, and there's been far more folks than this to some o' the parties held there!  Why, at Mr. Bilbo’s last birthday party afore he left the Shire, there were a hundred-forty-four guests just at the private family dinner!"

"Of course, all of those folks at Bilbo’s parties were hobbits," Frodo said, "except for Gandalf."

He smiled.  “It also helped that Bilbo’s party was held outside.  The smial at Bag End couldn’t have held all those hobbits at one time.”  He paused.  "Perhaps we can do that here.  It wouldn't be hard to put outdoor tables in the courtyard.  We could prepare to put them up after your family gets here, if some of the late arrivals do that afterwards."

Shaking his head with a rueful smile, Steve gave in, wondering how his idea of a small party, consisting of a few friends, had exploded into such an immense crowd.  But the hobbits thought it was perfectly normal.  “As long as it doesn’t rain that day, I don’t see a problem with it,” he said.

They finally rounded off the list with Elladan, Elrohir, and the Prince of Dol Amroth and his family.  Frankly, Steve found himself hoping that at least a few of those invited would decline.  The guesthouse was certainly large, but from all the suggestions for the guest list, it sounded like a huge crowd to him.

The list was double-checked, and now they moved on to the food, which was Sam's purview.  "I'm planning two cakes!  I asked Gimli to arrange for some kegs of ale to be delivered tomorrow, and we'll also have some other drinks and tea and coffee, too.  The cook from the Citadel said as he'd send some along to us.  He told me they'd send along some of those yellow lemons and some sugar, so as we can make some of that lemonade stuff, too."

"I appreciate that, Sam."  Steve gave him a grateful smile.  "Since none of our family drink alcohol, Gail and I especially don’t want our children to.  And if Bergil and Sador are going to come, we want them, as well as our own kids, to have choices besides alcohol, so that none of them will be compelled to drink it."  There had once been a time when having any kind of alcohol around would have made him uneasy, but he knew none of those who were being invited would overindulge.

"We know there will be children present, and we want them to have other choices, too," Frodo said.  "And most everyone coming knows your family's feelings on the subject."  Steve nodded.  After a pause, Frodo added, "Also, we'll have some platters of meats and cheeses, and some bowls of fruit set out.  Once the party's begun, we'll set it all out in the courtyard…"

Once more, Steve found himself amazed at how enthusiastic the hobbits were about planning a party for his wife, whom they had only known a short while.  He decided to relax, go with the flow, and be grateful for hobbit hospitality.

As the planning neared an end, Sam got up to prepare lunch for their three guests, and Frodo asked once more, "Are you sure about gifts?"  The hobbit could not imagine a birthday party with no gifts.

As Steve tried to think of a way to explain that it was not Gail's real birthday, Kaylee popped up before he could say anything.

"It's not a real birthday, it's an Unbirthday!  Like in Alice in Wonderland!  'Cause Mommy didn't get her real birthday!  We were in Lothlórien back then, and didn't know what day it was!"

Steve laughed.  “Yes, my wife’s birthday is actually on March 15--what that month is called here, I don’t know.  And yes, we were in Lothlórien at the time, so we missed it.  But even though her actual birthday is well behind her now, we would like to get her some gifts for this unbirthday, as Kaylee put it, if there’s any way to do so.”  For some reason, Gail's birthday had always been a very big deal in their family, even more so than the children's, ever since Kevin had been little.  Steve was quite proud of Megan for recalling what they had missed this year.

"That would be nice," Frodo said.  But he turned back to Kaylee.  "Who is Alice, and where is Wonderland?"

And Steve was left to ponder how to get his wife a present in such a short time, and to listen with half an ear, as Kaylee went into an explanation of Disney's adaptation of the classic children’s book until Sam returned with a wonderful-smelling meat pie for their early lunch…

-oo000oo-

Joey walked up the seventh level with a large package wrapped in cloth dangling from a string, as he made his way up to the Citadel.  Boromir had sent him off to the cobbler in the Fourth Circle to pick up a pair of boots he had sent for mending.  He passed through the gate to the Citadel, exchanging greetings with a couple of the guards, and a wave to Bergil, who was heading out the gate in the opposite direction on an errand of his own, so they didn't have time to talk.

He went straight to Boromir's quarters, to deliver the boots.  "Hi, Artamir!  Is Boromir here?" he asked the guard on duty at the door.

"No, Joey.  He asked me to tell you when you returned, to report to Lord Faramir's study.  The Captain-General awaits you there," was the reply.

Joey was a little surprised, as that had not been one of the things planned for the day, but he shrugged, and said, "Oh, okay!  I'll just go in and put his boots up, and head on over there."

He went into the room and placed the package with the boots on the wardrobe's bottom shelf.  He would normally have unwrapped them, but since he had been summoned, he didn't take the time.  It might be important.

He darted out and down the corridor, with a wave back at Artamir.  Pages and errand boys were exempt from the "no-running in the Citadel" rule if they were on duty.

The guard there was Mardil, an older Guardsman, and he wasted no time in opening the door and announcing to the Captain-General that his page had arrived.

Joey bowed to both men.  Lord Faramir gave him a small smile as he nodded in acknowledgement of the bow.  Boromir, who was standing behind his brother, grinned at Joey.

"You wished to see me, my liege?" Joey said in response to the grin.

Boromir's smile faded, and his expression grew more solemn.  "There has been a small change of plans for the day after tomorrow, Joey."  He glanced down at the Steward.  "Do you wish to explain it, brother?"

Faramir looked at Joey.  "The King has had some recent news that means that he will need my assistance both tomorrow and the next day.  I was originally scheduled to accompany Éomer King and his retinue as head of the honour guard to the outer gates.  The King has asked Boromir to take my place.  Because Sir Meriadoc will be going along as well, since he is a Knight of Rohan, he wishes for you to go along as well.  Merry will be returning to the City, of course, to remain as part of the honour guard to the remains of Théoden King.  He thought that your company would help cheer Merry."

"Of course, my Lord…but…"  Joey stopped abruptly and his hand flew to his mouth.  You didn't just say "but" to the Steward.  "I'm sorry!" he blurted, and then blushed for his failure of etiquette.

Faramir and Boromir both looked at each other, amused.  But the Steward did not scold his brother's page, but instead said, "'But' what, Joey?"

"Why isn't Pippin going?  Pippin could cheer him up better than me."

"Ah, well, the changes that are made also need Pippin's presence for the next two days.  But I think that deprived of his cousin, you would certainly also lift his spirits."

"Oh.  In that case, I am pleased to serve," Joey answered with another bow.  He wasn't totally sure he needed to bow when receiving an order, but just in case it was better to be safe.  He wondered what it would be that took Pippin from his cousin's side.  But he wasn't about to ask that.  If it was his business, they would have already told him.  And of course, he would do his best to cheer Merry up.  It must be really hard on his hobbit friend to have to hang around a tomb, or to have to keep thinking that King Théoden was dead.  Joey had really liked the King of Rohan, too, and he also felt sad about Théoden's death, for that matter.

Now that the orders had been given, Boromir spoke up.  "I know that tomorrow was to be your day free of duty, but to make up for that, I will say that you may have the rest of this afternoon free, as well as the next day.  Go find your family and enjoy their company for the rest of the day, or play with your friends if any are free.  But we will be leaving early in the morning, so rest well tonight."

"Yes, my liege!  Thank you.  Oh, by the way, your boots are in the wardrobe!  I didn't unwrap them, but I watched the cobbler wrap them up, and he did a good job, and they are shiny as new!"

Now Boromir laughed out loud, and ruffled Joey's hair.  "Thank you.  I know that you always do your duty well.  Now, be off with yourself, and have a pleasant day."

This time, Joey knew it was proper to bow again at his dismissal, so he did so, and then hurried off to follow his orders to have fun and a "pleasant day".

-oo000oo-

Kevin and Pippin strode through the corridors of the Citadel, and spotted Joey up ahead of them headed in the opposite direction, but they didn't call out to him, since they figured he must be in a big hurry on some errand or another.

Kevin chuckled.  His little brother took his duties very seriously, and it was kind of funny to remember what an irresponsible little brat he had been just a few short months ago, and especially when they had first arrived in Middle-earth.  He wondered just how long Joey's newfound maturity would last when they got home.

For that matter, he wondered about himself.  It would be strange to go from being a soldier with lots of responsibilities, some of them life or death, back to being just a high-school freshman with no worries except school and sports and dating and youth activities at church.  How hard is it going to be, to adjust back to our old life? he wondered.

"What are you thinking about?" Pippin asked.  "Your face changed from laughter to serious in just an instant?"

"Just thinking how much we've all grown up since we started out on our journey.  Just look at this mess that Menelcar found!  You can't tell me we would have been included in these plans back in Rivendell!"  He paused, furrowing his brow.  “I’m also wondering what it’s going to be like to go back to our old lives when all this is over.”

Pippin just nodded.  "We've all had things to make us grow up since we left our homes.  And now we have this plot to cheat us hobbits.  I'm glad the King decided to let me be a part of breaking it up.  I'd hate to think of them trying to use Sam; he's as clever as Merry is, but he's also a lot more soft-hearted.  I'm going to make them wish they'd never been born!"

Kevin nodded emphatically, scowling.  He felt just the same.

As they drew near the door, Mardil waved them on in with a "Captain Targon is in there also.  He came right after your brother left, Sir Kevin."

"Thanks," said Kevin, at the warning.  Targon was the captain of the Third Company that both Kevin and Pippin were in.

The two entered the room.  Kevin and Pippin bowed at the others, who were all of greater ranks.  As captain, Targon nodded and told them, "At ease." 

"Be seated, gentlemen," said Faramir, gesturing toward some empty chairs.  "We are waiting for three more people."  Kevin realized that there were more chairs than he had seen before--the Steward must have had them brought in since they had previously been there.

No sooner had they all been seated than there was another knock, and Menelcar along with Legolas and Gimli entered.  At a gesture from Faramir, they took the remaining chairs. 

"Master Menelcar," Faramir began, "would you please repeat your story for those who have not yet heard your information?"

The bard stood and retold his story.  Even without any embellishment at all, he made it sound just as dramatic and serious as it was when he had first overheard the swindlers.

Once they had heard what was going on, there was again a reaction of outrage, especially Gimli snarled out something that sounded very unpleasant in Khuzdul, while Legolas's face became as grim as Kevin had ever seen it.

Kevin, for his part, shook his head in displeasure as he listened, and he could feel his face growing hot.  I wish I could get my hands on those hustlers!  I'd make them sorry they even thought of trying to cheat the hobbits!  He recalled his conversation with Pippin in the corridor.  As Pippin said, we will make them wish they'd never been born!

"Now," said Lord Faramir, "the King and I have no intention of allowing them to get away with this.  The plan is to trap them in the act.  Captain Targon, choose six of your men who are good at stealth, and include Sir Kevin among them.  You will shadow Sir Peregrin tomorrow, as he tries to make the criminals notice him, and witness what occurs, but make sure they give Pippin a chance to draw it all off for one more day.  Intervene only if they try to lay hands upon Pippin himself.  And do not wear livery--you do not wish them to know Pippin is being guarded."

He turned to Pippin.  "Pippin, you will wear your ordinary clothing instead of livery also.  From what Menelcar said, they are only trying to fool you, to trick you into giving them money for some sad tale of woe."

Pippin gave the Steward a cocky grin.  "No worries, my Lord.  Merry taught me all I know about looking innocent.  And I've improved in that, since I can usually cozen him when I want to."  He suddenly modified his expression, making his green eyes huge, sad, and innocent.  For a second, Kevin had a flashback to a particular scene in one of the Shrek movies*, as he recalled the "sad-kitty" look on the face of Puss-in-Boots.  He suppressed a chuckle, as it wasn't appropriate to this meeting, but he'd have to remember to tell Pippin about it later.

"For those who will be keeping watch, do not intervene unless it appears that Pippin is in danger.  Targon, station some of your Guardsmen near enough to overhear the conversation between the connivers and Pippin.  Their witness may be needed when this comes to trial."  After a pause, Faramir continued, "Be alert.  Also, let them know that both the King and I will also be among you.  We, too, will be disguised, so if you do see us and recognize us, do not give a start, or let it slip who we are.  We hope that we will be given some time to plan the capture for the following day, but they may surprise us--if they try to lay hands upon Pippin, then take them captive, no matter what."

"Yes, my Lord," said Targon. He looked doubtfully at the Steward.  "My Lord, I hope that I may honor your trust in me, and in my men, but…well, I have only led warriors in melee during battle.  I have never had to lead others on a task calling for stealth."

"Believe me, Targon, I have faith in your ability.  Now that the war is over, you will have times when you may have other such tasks before you.  Go, now, and choose your men for tomorrow."

Targon nodded.  "May Sir Perigrin and Sir Kevin go with me?  They may have some good advice on the choices."

Faramir nodded.  "They may."  He turned to Menelcar.

Kevin realized that he and Pippin had been dismissed along with Captain Targon, and so the two of them followed him out of the study.  As they were leaving, he heard Faramir speaking to the minstrel.  "You have brought us this plot, so now one more task.  See if you can keep watch over our prey this night, and alert us if there seems to be any changes in their plans…"

Kevin heard no more as the door closed behind them, and he followed the Captain.  He hoped they would be able to do everything that had been asked of them.  Targon was right--this was more like being a cop than a soldier.  But then, sometimes soldiers did have to act as cops in some situations, especially in countries where soldiers had to perform both duties.  He remembered watching Zorro, on which soldiers had the job of keeping the peace and arresting criminals…

-oo000oo-

Joey was glad to have some free time.  Something really odd was going on if Pippin couldn't go with Boromir.  He wondered briefly what it might be.

He knew that both Bergil and Sador were quite busy with errands this afternoon, so he went to his parents' quarters.  A few of the Elves were there, and most glanced at him and greeted him, but his parents and sisters were nowhere to be seen.  Lucy was sitting on Mairen's lap, enjoying being petted by the Elf-woman, but when she saw Joey, she stood up, wagging her tail, and barked at him.

"Your mother has gone to visit Lady Éowyn, and your father as well as your younger sisters have gone down to visit Frodo and Sam," Mairen told him, as Lucy leaped off her lap and ran up to him.  He reached down to pat her absently as he listened to what Mairen was trying to tell him.  "I believe they were having 'elevenses' with them at the guesthouse.  They should be back soon."

Joey straightened his back.  "Oh!  Thanks, Mairen!"  He bent down again and hugged the little spaniel, who licked his face.  "Hey, can I take Lucy with me?"

"Of course, you may, Joey!"

Joey was just about to rush out when Glorfindel, who was at the desk by the window writing a letter, called out, "Joey, your father has told me of the plans.  Please let him know that all of us--"  He gestured at his fellow Elves in the room.  "--will be honoured to attend."

"That's great!  I'll tell him!"  Joey headed out the door, with Lucy at his heels.  She had not needed a leash since they had left the River.  He would go down to the guesthouse and try to catch them.  If they had not left, maybe the hobbits would feed him some elevenses, too.  And if not, then he would likely meet his dad and sisters on their way back.  Maybe they all could have some lunch together.

But he didn't have far to go.  He had barely passed the fountain in the courtyard when he saw his father's lanky form headed in his direction, with Megan perched on his shoulders, and Kaylee skipping at her father's side.  She spotted him first, and shouted, "Joey!" and ran to him.  Steve put Megan down, and she ran towards Joey, while his dad came behind at a slower pace.

The girls were hanging onto Joey, talking over one another, and Lucy was adding to the confusion by trying to lick all three children at once.

Steve glanced at the chaos as he reached them and, shaking his head in amusement, pointed a finger at Lucy.  "Sit," he said firmly, knowing that this was something the Elves had taught her well.  Lucy gave a little whimper, but immediately sat down and was still, all except for her tail.

"Girls, your brother is probably working, though I don't know why he has Lucy with him?"  He said the last word like a question.

"My liege gave me the rest of today and all of tomorrow off, since I won't have my day off the day after tomorrow, like I was supposed to.  So, I was coming to find you, 'cause Mairen told me you'd gone to see the hobbits, and she said it was OK for Lucy to come, too!"

Steve grinned.  "Sounds like a good idea to me.  Your mother is visiting with Lady Éowyn this morning.  Kevin is on duty, and Jennifer is likely still sleeping after her night shift.  So, what would you munchkins like to do now?"

"D-aa-d!" Joey whined.  He was too old to be one of the "munchkins" anymore.  But the whine was just for show; he didn't really mind that much.  

His dad laughed.  "All right, two munchkins and a young man," he corrected himself, with a wink at Joey, who snorted, and then grinned.  Kaylee and Megan giggled.

"Can we go see the horsies?" asked Megan.  "I love to see them!"

"Yay!" Kaylee added, bouncing on her heels.  "It's fun to watch them!"

"That's a great idea!"  Steve nodded, smiling.  "They will be training this time of day!  The horses and the guardsmen and all!"

As Steve considered the soundness of this proposal, a voice from behind said, "A visit to the horses and the training yards is always a worthy diversion."

The small group turned to see Lady Éowyn and their mother, who was trying to hold her laughter with her hand over her mouth.  "Are you surprised?" she managed to ask while snickering.

Just then, Joey's stomach gave out a rumble worthy of a hobbit.  He blushed.  "Dad, I haven't had lunch yet," he said with dismay.

Steve laughed, "Well, your little sisters and I did have lunch, but I bet we could be forced to eat a little more.  Why don't we get a basket from one of the kitchens?"

Joey and Kaylee took on the task of going to the nearest Citadel kitchen, where they asked for a luncheon basket.  The kitchen staff were used to such requests, especially when there were guests in the Citadel.  One of them took two baskets down from a shelf, one rather large, the other much smaller.  She loaded the larger one with two stone bottles filled with lemonade, and some cheese, and some fruit, and they put several of what the McCloud children called "cookies", and everyone around them called "biscuits".  The biscuits were crisp and flavoured with cinnamon and other spices.  Joey took the larger basket and Kaylee took the smaller, and they set off to re-join the family.

There were some benches set at random around the corral, to discourage watchers from sitting on the rails.  The group claimed one, and watched as the big horses were being led around the ring.  Apparently, the activities had just begun for the day.  There were six huge horses being led by squires who were older than Joey, and mostly younger than Kevin.  Three grizzled older Guardsmen were overseeing the preparations.

The family and Lady Éowyn shared the bench and passed the occasional tid-bit down to Lucy.  Joey, Kaylee, and Megan did most of the passing, but Steve was also guilty, and once Éowyn "accidentally" let a morsel of cheese drop.  Gail rolled her eyes, but didn't say anything. 

"Oh!  Look, Daddy!  Look, Mommy!  There's Kevin!" squealed Kaylee, bouncing on her seat.  "There's Kevin!"

"Do not call out to him or interrupt him," warned the Lady of Rohan.  "He must keep his mind on his steed.  They are tilting at the quintain."

Sure enough, Kevin was next in line, mounted on his faithful horse Bron.  Three of the other Guardsmen had gone before him, and there were two others behind him.  In the middle of the corral was a large post.  A large post was set in the ground, and another post was set atop it, making a T-shape, and from one side hung a small leather bag stuffed with something, and from the other hung a small wooden shield-shape.  The person in front of Kevin took off at a signal from his Captain and rode forward, with his spear held out.  Quickly, that Guardsman aimed and struck the shield.  As soon as he did, the upper part swung around.  The leather bag came at him, but he leaned out.  It grazed his shoulder, but missed his head.

As soon as that rider cleared the area, Kevin took off.  He, too, hit the target shield, and tried to duck the leather bag.  It came at him, but clipped him on the ear; next to Joey, his mother caught her breath.  Kevin shook his head a little and raised his left arm, nodding to let everyone know he was alright.

When the two remaining Guardsmen behind Kevin had taken their turn, both of whom had hit the target and cleared the bag, they all dismounted and went to the other side of the corral, where grooms appeared to lead the horses away, while another servant passed each of them a ladle of water from a bucket.  A few, Kevin included, also poured some of the water over their heads.  Then at another signal from Targon, the six men drew their swords, paired up, and began to spar on foot.

Targon was watching them carefully.  It was practice, not a real battle, so they were fighting more carefully than they would have in battle.  But all were well-armoured, so they did not have to hold back very much.  Once in a while, Targon would pick out a pair to approach and speak to about their stance, or to show them a more effective stroke.  After about fifteen minutes, he would halt them and have them change partners.

Joey had often watched his older brother fighting since Kevin had come to Minas Tirith, and especially since they’d been reunited in Cormallen, and he knew what they were doing.  He thought Kevin had gained a lot more skill since he had watched him in Cormallen.  Of course, back then he'd been newly recovered from his injuries during the Battle at the Black Gate, but Joey still thought he was doing well.  He reminded himself not to cheer loudly.  He didn't want to distract them.

He grinned up at his dad, who was also watching intently.  "Dad, Kevin's really doing good."

Steve grinned back.  "I've watched him once or twice, and I think he's improved a lot.  I tried to learn to sword fight in Rivendell and Lothlórien, but I was terrible at it.  I was a lot better with a crossbow.  Still am, for that matter."

Gail, on the other hand, had been gasping at every blow, and even cringing.  Eówyn put her hand on Gail's hand.  "Do not fret, Gail.  He's doing very well, indeed."  She glanced back at the match.  "Oh, Kevin!  Well struck!"  She, too, kept her voice low.

The Guardsmen once again switched, and began fighting with different partners.  Suddenly Targon called, "Hold!"  One of the older Guardsmen had dropped to the ground on one knee.  All the other Guardsmen gathered around, and Targon spoke to the fallen man, then he helped him to stand.  Two other men, one of them Kevin, supported him, and the men walked away, the injured man limping.

Targon turned to the observers.  "Guardsman Beleg is all right!" he announced, and then waited for the cheers to die down.  "He took a step backwards and twisted his ankle.  But he will be fine soon."

That’s a relief, Joey thought.  But now that he’s hurt, that means he’s out of the game.  Does that mean Kevin and that other guy have won?  Will they compete with each other now?  Or will another soldier take that that man’s place?  Wonder what the prize is, and if there’s a first, second, and third place for the winners?

But it did appear that the practice was over for the time being, at least for Kevin's Company.  The remaining Guardsmen from the Third Company dispersed, and the Guardsmen of another company came in.

"Is that all?" Joey asked aloud.  "Who won?  Who gets a prize?"

The Lady Eówyn laughed.  "This was practice, a regular part of their duty--there is no prize for practicing one's skills.  Sometimes the Companies have special events, with prizes for winners.  But this was not such an occasion today."

“I see.  So, the soldiers here have fencing tournaments,” Gail said. 

"Uh, no," Steve said, as he noticed their friend from Rohan looking puzzled.  "The sort of swordplay they have here is with broadswords.  Fencing is a different sport altogether."

Gail blushed.  "I just thought a sword was a sword."

"Not all swords are the same," Steve said.  "Fencing swords are much thinner and lighter, and meant for a different sort of swordplay.  They were once popular as a weapon in our lands, especially at sea.  But nowadays, back home, they are mostly used only for sport."  Gail nodded thoughtfully.

The family and their guest decided to head for the kennels, which were quite near the stables, and find out if the grooms would allow Lucy a chance to mingle with the Citadel's dogs.  It wouldn't be the first time--guests or even those who lived there were allowed to spend time there when their owners were otherwise occupied.

"Oh, that would be great.”  Joey grinned.  “Maybe Lucy can see Oromë!”  The old sighthound had been the shared dog held by Boromir and Farimir as young men, when they were first learning to hunt.  Now the old dog spent most of his days in the stables sleeping, though the brothers often visited their old pet as often as they could.  Boromir often sent Joey to take the old dog treats, and Joey would take Lucy with him when he could.  She liked to play gently with Oromë when he had the energy to do so, or to curl by his side and lick his ears when he wanted to sleep.

Gail stopped as they walked.  "Wait!  I know we are close to the kennels from here, but it's getting late enough that Jennifer might be awake.  Why don't we see if she is, then we can ask her to join us?"

"But that's out of the way, Mom!" Joey complained, pouting.

"It's not that far out of the way."  Steve knew that Gail tried to take every possible chance to get the entire family together.  She had not expected her three oldest to be filling adult roles, with actual jobs.  While she was immensely proud of them (as he was, as well), she sometimes resented the times when they were busy with their responsibilities.  Not that she'd complained to the children, but she did vent occasionally to him.  They turned towards the Houses of Healing, where Jennifer's dormitory was located.

As they headed in that direction, they actually saw Jennifer, who was on her way to the Citadel.

Joey reacted quickly. He put two fingers to his mouth and let out an ear-splitting whistle.  "HEY, JENNIFER!"

She turned, surprised, and started in their direction.  “Hey!  What have you been doing?” she asked, upon joining them.

“We’ve been watching the soldiers practice,” Gail told her.  “They’re very good.”

“They sure are, aren’t they?” Jennifer agreed.  “So, what’s up?”

“We’re going to stop at the kennels and see if the grooms will let Lucy spend some time with the dogs of the Citadel,” Steve said, "and your mother thought you might want to join us, if you have time."

She gave her dad a hug, and then her mother.  "Sure!  I see Lucy's going, too!  Doggy playdate."  She laughed.  At home, that's what they'd called taking the little dog to the dog park.  She'd only been a puppy then.  After Jennifer greeted the rest of her family in turn, she smiled at Lady Eówyn.  "I am glad to see you as well!"

Eówyn smiled in return.  "Please, Jennifer, we are friends!"

The group headed back towards the kennels.  When they arrived there, Joey leaned over the fence.  “Please,” he asked the groom, “can Lucy go with us to play with the other dogs?”

The groom laughed.  “I see no reason why Lucy can’t play with the other dogs.  Their training is done for the day now.”  He nodded and gestured to Joey, who picked the little spaniel up.  When she saw where they were headed, she began wriggling in his arms.  Once Joey placed her over the fence, she made a beeline for Oromë.

“Hey, what’s going on?”  Whirling around, they saw Kevin approaching them.

“Lucy’s playing with Oromë,” Joey said, grinning.

“Oh, is she?”  Stopping next to his little brother, Kevin watched Lucy playing with the older dog, a fond smile creeping across his face.  For the next several minutes, they all watched the two dogs playing together.

“I thought you were on duty,” Jennifer finally told Kevin.  “What’s going on?”

“Oh, I have an errand to Lord Elessar,” Kevin said.  “I can’t stay here much longer, though; I’ve got to finish my errand to the King.  But when I saw you, I did want to catch up with you all first.”

Steve nodded.  “I can certainly understand that sentiment, son,” he told Kevin.  “But if you don’t want the king to start wondering what’s happened to you, you’d better finish this errand he’s sent you on.”

Kevin nodded.  "I just have a report from Captain Targon to deliver.  I'll be free after that.  I have no night duty for the next two days, as I have another assignment during the daytime."  He thought for a moment.  "I was going to the mess hall for supper afterwards.  You can all meet me there, and we could have dinner together."

The family agreed, and Kevin trotted off.

A short while later, the family met in front of the mess; Lucy had been taken back to the Citadel.  Having finished his errand to the king, Kevin caught up with Joey, who was on his way there.  Lady Eówyn had left, for she was to meet Faramir and have dinner with him and his father and brother.

The mess was not busy.  The day shift had finished their meals, and the evening shift would not be in for a little while longer, so Kevin and Joey found their little group at one corner, and the two brothers and their father went to collect food and plates for them all, serving their mother and Jennifer first, and then their younger sisters.  As soon as the boys and Steve had taken their seats, the family bowed their heads, joined hands, and silently prayed, and then after a moment, Steve silently signalled, ‘Amen,’ with a squeeze of his own hand.

The meal was simple: bowls of brown beans, fresh bread, some green onions, and a bowl of fruit.  It was plain, but filling.  While they ate, the family caught up with one another, for it had been a long while since they had all been together at one table for a meal.  

Jennifer told of her stint in the children's ward in the Houses of Healing.  "I really enjoyed working there," she said.  "I might choose to work with children as a specialty someday.  If I ever decide to become a doctor when I grow up, maybe I’ll become a paediatrician.  I loved working with the babies, but I felt sorry for the older ones who had…injuries."  She looked at her parents; she had not said much about the boy who appeared to have been abused, but both Steve and Gail had understood her hints, and so had Kevin.  Joey didn't quite catch the gist, and it passed right over Kaylee and Megan.

"Mommy," asked Kaylee, "do you think maybe we could go visit the poor sick children?  Do you think it would be okay?"

"That's a very nice idea, Kaylee, but we would have to find out if that's allowed."  Gail looked over to Jennifer.

Jennifer looked thoughtful.  "I don't see why not, but there are schedules and stuff.  I'm sure Dame Ioreth would know whether and when it would be all right.  You could ask her.  She knows everything."

Gail nodded.  Then they filled Kevin and Jennifer in on the plans for the street fair that would be held for the benefit of the new orphanage.

They talked a little more, and then Steve led the family in a brief devotional before it was time to part company.  The two oldest children separated and went to their own quarters, and Joey trotted off to Boromir's quarters, so he would be there in the morning to serve the Captain-General.

-ooo000ooo-

Some of the character names are from Dreamflower's "New Reckoning" series, and also a round-robin story by the Pippinhealers.group, "To Sleep, Perchance to Dream," which is found on Stories of Arda (though Targon plays a slightly different role in the latter story than in the first ones).  Dreamflower.

A/N: *The movie to which Kevin refers is Shrek 2.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List