Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Not So Happy Returns  by Soledad

Not So Happy Returns

by Soledad

Author’s Notes: For disclaimer, rating, etc. see the Foreword.

Some lines are borrowed and rewritten from HoMe. Direct quotes are in italics.

Akairis, Ómar and Salmar as the youngest of the Great Valar were originally part of the mythology but got later rejected. You can learn more about their decision in my other story, “The Vault of the Dead”.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

December 15 – Spring’s End

When the destruction of the Great Lamps ended the Spring of Arda and the dwelling place of the Valar in Almaren lay in ruins, they departed from Middle-earth and went to the land of Aman, the westernmost of all lands upon the borders of the word. Yet at that time Yavanna had already planted many seeds in earth, and while the Lamps were shining, growth began there. Alas, now that all was dark again, that growth came to a halt.

But already, the oldest living things had arisen: in the Sea the great weeds and on earth the shadow of dark trees. And beneath the trees small things faint and silent walked, and in the valleys of the night-clad hills there were dark creatures, old and strong.

In those dark forests Oromë often hunted, for he loved Middle-earth and was the last to come to Aman. And with him sometimes Yavanna came, to sing in the darkness, and her heart mourned for all the budding life that was now stopped.

She was accompanied by Akairis, the youngest of the Great Valar, she who had come to Arda with her brothers last, even after Tulkas. And her brother Ómar went with them, singing songs of power no-one else would know or could evoke, to keep Arda remembering the Light.

But they were all concerned about the creatures of Melkor growing in strength under the veil of darkness, for they knew that the Children of Ilúvatar were supposed to awaken, soon – soon as they counted time. And they urged the other Valar to do something ere it would be too late.

And so Varda took from the remaining light of Silpion to make the stars as a sign of hope and defiance against Melkor upon the skies; yet the other Valar were still too shocked by the loss of the Lamps and that of their home, and they were more concerned with creating a new, safer dwelling place for themselves and abandoned Middle-earth for a while.

“What do we do now?” asked Salmar his sister in disappointment; for Akairis had always been the most fierce and determined among them.

“We wait.... for now,” she said, with a flash of anger in her aura. But if the others do not stir for too long, we shall take things into our own hands. We have been sent to Arda to protect it, after all.”

~TBC~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List