Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter

Chapter 8

Six feet from the Edge 

Please come now, I think I’m falling

I’m holding to all I think is safe,

It seems I found the road to nowhere

And I’m trying to escape

I yelled back when I heard thunder,

But I’m down to one last breath

And with it let me say

 

Hold me now

I’m six feet from the edge and I’m thinking

That maybe six feet

Ain’t so far gone. 

Legolas had watched as Govi entered the tent the next morning. It was a cold morning, and Legolas could see the breath coming from the men’s mouths and noses. He hoped Adoril had seen the Miruvor in his pack.  Perhaps if he came again tonight he would tell him.

“Good morning bodyguard.” Govi was in an unusually good mood. “I hope you have slept well.” He said, as he tested the thick chains wrapped around Legolas’ body.

Legolas glared at him. “I can see that you get another good night’s sleep tonight if you wish.” Legolas said with a wicked smile.

Govi stepped back a little surprised at the quick comeback. He laughed pleasantly.  “You have a quick wit about you.”

“More than you do.” Legolas retorted. This time the Easterling didn’t laugh, instead he backhanded Legolas.

“Enough of your impudence.” He snarled. Producing the only key to free the bound elf, he waved it tantalizingly in front of him. “So close to freedom, yet still so far away.” He taunted.

Legolas looked at him with an air of indifference. “There are other means of escape.” He said quietly.

Govi’s smile grew. “Really? Do tell.”  

Legolas smiled back, but it wasn’t as pleasant as Govi’s. “No.”

Govi’s expression was one of rage and Legolas was reminded of a child throwing a temper tantrum when he wasn’t able to get what he wanted. He bit his lip to keep the smirk off his face, knowing that Govi would only retaliate.

“Choli!” Govi bellowed in Legolas’ face.

Legolas winced as the man’s foul breath hit his face. No wonder why Elves hated the Easterlings. Their breath was foul enough to kill someone! 

The Easterling named Choli held a sword to Legolas’ neck as Govi unchained him. “Going to have some fun boss?” He asked eagerly. He was a scrawny underweight human whom everyone picked on. The older and bigger guards usually tossed him around, mainly because they could lift him up with ease and he would cower like a cur dog.  His reaction pleased the guards, and they did it often.

Legolas scowled at the scrawny human. If only his hands were free he could easily escape this foul camp. Never mind the thin pathetic human in front of him. He doubted that even the wolves would bother to eat him if they brought him down. Which probably would be an easy task.

The chains fell with a bang on the hard ground. Legolas was then roughly jerked to his feet. He inwardly winced as the bloods rushed back his arms and legs.  Govi laughed, jerking the rope tightly against the elf’s wrists. “Of course we are Choli.” Quickly securing the elf, they walked outside into the cold morning air.

Legolas was immediately aware of all the eyes fixed upon him, Elven and not. The camp, Legolas saw, was composed of all men.  It was a party ready for a long period of war. Legolas felt an icy chill, not from the cold, slid down his back. So with Easterlings in the North, Orcs and Spiders in the South, and with his father’s kingdom smack dab in the middle… 

He was jerked from his thoughts as he was thrown several forward to slam into another large human.   

The human snorted in disgust and threw Legolas down to the snow-covered ground. “What is it with you and slaves, Govi?”

Govi laughed. “Nothing Siovan. That is why I am giving him to you.”

“WHAT!” Both human and elf spoke the words simultaneously.

Legolas stepped forward angrily and rising from the ground. “I will not be given to anyone.” He hissed.

“Quiet.” Govi snarled, his backhand throwing Legolas back to the ground.

Siovan stooped and picked Legolas up, his eyes smoldering as he glared at Govi. “I do not wish for any slave.”

Govi shrugged. “It does not matter to me if you wish for one or not. He is yours, do with him as you will.”

Siovan sighed as he stared at Govi’s back. “Come with me slave.”

“I am not a slave.” Legolas returned hotly.

Siovan returned his gaze without flinching, but there was an infinite sadness in his eyes as he spoke. “We are all slaves to something.”

*~*

Adoril watched horrified as his prince was given to another human. It was simply incredible how humans seemed to trade each other off, sell each other and even give each other away. But to capture an elf and then take him for a slave and then after all that, simply give him away as if he was a piece of food! Not even the horses in the Mirkwood stables were treated as such!

His hands curled around his knife at his side, as pleasant thoughts of killing that good for nothing excuse of a human filled his head. A knife would be too good for him…

“Adoril!” 

Adoril’s head jerked up as Meldon quickly walked towards him, pointing to the campsite.  Adoril followed Meldon’s finger and saw that Legolas was being dragged to yet another tent. He was roughly pushed down to a kneeling position and the Easterling standing over him called whoever was in the tent out.

Where the other Easterlings had been large as in height, this Easterling was well overweight. Over all he just looked, dirty. Filthy. Unkempt. Adoril’s lip curled in disgust. Motioning the other elves to stay put he crept closer to clearly hear the conversation.

“Yes Siovan?”

“Tourec. I know you personally own slaves.” Siovan’s voice was indifferent. “How much will you give me for this elf.”

Tourec looked startled at the both the man and the elf kneeling, rather un-submissively before him.  “I didn’t know you had a slave.” His voice was smooth. 

“I don’t.” Siovan’s voice was flat.

Tourec nodded, looking over Legolas rather greedily. “A new slave is just what I needed.” He said almost to himself.

Legolas tried to wrench his shoulders free from Siovan’s unrelenting grasp with little success. “I am a slave to no.” He spat out, furious at the sudden unexpected changes around him.

Tourec ignored him and circled around him, feeling his muscles and even forcing Legolas’ mouth open to inspect his teeth.

Legolas had never been so humiliated in his entire life, which easily spanned several mortal’s lives.

“I’ll give you fifty pounds.” Tourec’s voice was silky as he named the price. He knew he could get a good bargain on this slave, because he knew that no matter the price Siovan would immediately take him up on it.

“Done.” Siovan showed little care or remorse that he was selling something that never really rightfully ever would have belonged to him.

Tourec rubbed his fat hands together gleefully and went back inside to get a large purse of money. He threw it at Siovan who in turn threw the elf face forward in the dirt at the feet of his new ‘master’.  

Legolas was lifted by two of Tourec’s guards and hauled, none to gently into the tent. Tourec followed rubbing his hands together gleefully.

Adoril watched with a sinking feeling. Something was going to happen to Legolas, he just knew it. He could clearly hear sounds of movement within the tent and then Legolas’ cry of protest, cut off. It took all of Adoril’s many years of self-control to hold himself from tearing across the camp and into the tent.

The man, Tourec exited a few moments later holding a fist full of hair, and Adoril realized that Legolas’ hair had been cut off. Gripping his knife as if he was gripping the neck of the man, Adoril turned and quickly made his way back to where the rest of the elves were waiting his command. 

*~*

The camp was still and silent as Adoril quietly approached the tent where Legolas was being held. Thankfully, Tourec had placed him in a separate tent with guards on the outside. It was easy to sneak past the sleeping guards and step into the tent, unnoticed by all, except Legolas.

Adoril halted at the sight of his prince. His feet felt frozen to the ground as his gaze ran over the beaten, bloody form of his prince. His face was swollen, his lip was split, one eye blackened, his cheek raw, but the thing that Adoril noticed was his hair. It had been shorn so short that Adoril could see Legolas’ scalp. There were several places where Tourec’s men had most likely ‘accidentally’ let the knife slip. His clothes were dirty and torn, the tares revealed the purple bruises forming on his skin.

Legolas had once more been chained up on his knees, just as helpless to do anything as he had been before. Adoril hated seeing not only his prince but also his best friend tied in such a manner.

“They treated their dogs better than you.” Adoril hissed angrily, dropping to his knees, next to the bound prince.

“Their dogs are not their slaves.” Legolas’ voice was dry.

“You aren’t a slave either, Legolas.” Adoril countered.

Legolas moved slightly before he spoke. “True.”

Adoril sighed. “Now what? The rider we sent should be back at the palace by now, but what do we do until help comes?”

Legolas locked eyes with Adoril. “We wait.”

“But.”

“Adoril. Listen to me.” Legolas sighed.

“No. Legolas, I will not leave you.” Adoril stated firmly. “Not again.” His fingers quickly scanned the chains, trying to find a weak point.

“Shhhh.” Legolas hissed.

Adoril froze. They both listened for several long agonizing moments; before Legolas’ nodded telling Adoril that none of the guards had stirred.

“You cannot free me without the key, Adoril.” Legolas’ voice was gentle.

“I will not leave you Legolas.” There was a note of desperation in Adoril’s voice.

“Adoril.” Legolas’ voice held a note of authority.

"No. Legolas. I. Am. Not. Leaving.” Adoril refused to look at Legolas’ battered face, focusing on the chains instead.    

“Adoril.” This time Legolas’ voice was not of a friend, but Adoril’s commander.

Adoril forced himself to look up into Legolas’ face.

“Leave.” Legolas’ voice was firm.

“What?” Even though Adoril knew, knew beyond a doubt what Legolas was saying, he still couldn’t comprehend it.

Legolas took a deep breath.  “I do no want you or anyone else to attempt to free me at the cost of their own lives.” He met Adoril’s incredulous gaze head on. “I do no want anyone else captured Adoril. We were lucky enough that Govi let the other three free. I do not want anyone sacrificed because of me.” His voice was forceful. “I would rather the lives of the others safe and sound than any one of them beside me suffering.”

“You aren’t serious.” Adoril’s voice cracked, he knew that Legolas meant exactly what he said.  But he still had to say it, with one tiny glimmer of hope in his eyes.

Despite the fact that Legolas was chained on his knees, was battered and bruised and in a very vulnerable position, he could still looked every inch a proper prince of Mirkwood.

“They do not know who I am.” Legolas said quietly. “And they will not ever know, but I can’t risk the lives of anyone to ensure that. “ Legolas once more linked eyes with Adoril. “I hereby give all authority to you, under the following condition. You or anyone else will not try and rescue me until reinforcements come.” Legolas took a deep breath. “Do you understand?”

Adoril wordlessly nodded, still shocked at what his prince was ordering.

Legolas smiled tentatively, hoping his words had not come across to harshly.

“It could take a week before your Adar comes.” Adoril pleaded. “Please. We can free you.”

“How?” Legolas questioned. “How many lives will it take?

“It doesn’t have to take lives.” Adoril hissed. “All we need it to get these chains off and you’re free. “

“Yeah?” Legolas’ voice was soft. “How many nights will that take? At what risk Adoril? The more you sneaks in here the more the risk you take. If you hadn’t noticed all the dogs lying around, I’m surprised that none of the have woken yet.” He shook his head slowly. “No.” He stated with a quiet passion. “I do not want to see ant elf inside of this tent, in an attempt to free me at the cost of their own freedom or worse, their own life. I will be fine.” He reassured.

Adoril sighed pressing his forehead to Legolas’ in a gesture of years of close friendship. “I do not want to do this nin mellon.” He whispered.

“You must.” Legolas whispered back, his eyes closed.

Adoril pulled back, and nodded. “We will be in the shadows.” He said firmly. “You can’t deny us that.”

Legolas smiled. “I will be waiting for you to come when reinforcements come.”

Adoril nodded, stood and placed his right fist over his heart, showing respect. “We will be in the shadows.” He repeated and ducked out of sight and once more slid like a wraith into the darkness.

Legolas heaved a sigh and let his head fall back to lean on the post. While it relieved him that Adoril and the rest of the elves would stay put, he would miss the company that Adoril gave him. He closed his eyes. “Elbereth give me strength. He prayed silently and quietly waited, dreading the morning light.

Reviewer replies:

A/N: And there you have it! A whole Legolas focused chapter! The next one will have the rider arriving at the palace and the council at Lothlorien.

Daw the Minstrel: Yes, I too remember reading about the sense of smell is very evocative. I'm glad you approve:-)

Yes, Legolas is getting support, but as you see in this chapter, he doesn't want anyone else to get caught or hurt. Which will, well, shall we say is neither good nor bad at this point;-) Thanks for the review!

Aly: Thank you:-) The missing word or number was "Out of the twelve warriors that had originally started on the mission only seven remained and two of them were wounded horribly." So they have a little less than half of the warriors when they first started out. Poor Thalion. 

Thanks for the review! 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List