Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter.

Chapter 7

A slave to no one

And the pain falls like a curtain
On the things I once called certain
And I have to say the words I fear the most
I just don't know

And the questions without answers
Come and paralyze the dancer
So I stand here on the stage afraid to move
Afraid to fall, oh, but fall I must -                                                           

(God is God written and sung by Steven Curtis Chapman.)

"So, bodyguard." The Easterling spoke the words contemptuously.

Legolas glared at the large human standing with his arms folded across his chest. "What?"

"You failed rather miserably to protect your superiors." Govi's calm voice was infuriating. "And in doing so you not only sealed the fate of your life but you also left your superiors without a bodyguard."

"They can take care of themselves." Legolas spoke through gritted teeth.

"Well, I do hope so, after all wargs and orcs have been patrolling around here lately, perhaps they'll get them before other elves will." The words were spoken off handedly as though they were talking about the weather and not the lives of Legolas' subordinates "But since you are now my slave."

"I am slave to no one." Legolas stated firmly.

"Oh?" The Easterling leaned closer. "Well last time I knew you were." He reached down and caught the chain wrapped around Legolas' chest and pulled him forward. "You'll learn some respect boy or else you will live to pay for it."

Legolas glared at him. "Do your worst."

Govi straighten and smiled happily, "I always do." He said simply. He turned to the guard standing at the entrance. "See that no one enters here, give him no food or water until I say so." He turned to look at the 'bodyguard' "We'll see how long you last before you beg" He said with a cold smile and walked out.

Legolas closed his eyes. He was chained, kneeling down to the center pole in the tent. His arms were tied behind his back as was his legs. He had been chained tight enough to allow little room yet not so tight that he couldn't feel his arms or legs. Gathering his strength he opened his eyes to study the tent. There was little inside the tent, a few shirts, coats scattered around but no bed or anything to suggest that anyone lived in it.

The tent flap opened to reveal the guard who looked around then closed it again. "Always get the boring jobs." Legolas heard him mutter. Shaking his head Legolas tested the chains. Then winced when the sound cut through the silent tent. The guard sighed and entered the tent.

Without a sound he walked over to Legolas and backhanded him with such a force that it split his lip open. Then he turned and left. Frowning at the back of the guard Legolas felt the cut with his tongue. Luckily it was only a small cut and stopped bleeding quite soon.

As he straighten trying to stretch arms his back accidentally touched the pole. He hissed as the pain radiated through out his entire body from that one small touch. Closing his eyes he focused on something besides the pain. He knew that the other elves under Adoril's command were near. He could sense them all around, but he didn't want them to do anything to rescue him. It would be too much of a risk, and if any attempt was made and failed, the Easterling would know that Legolas was much more than he claimed to be. Something that could not only endanger his life but the lives of his family and ultimately those in the realm.

That fact alone put Legolas in an entirely different position. He would rather die than put a serious threat upon his family's lives. He sighed, he had no idea if Adoril was planning anything or if Adoril even knew of their capture. What would he give for just five minutes alone with that Easterling with his hands unbound.

A birdcall whistled through the trees. Paying it little mind Legolas ignored it, until it whistled again. Pitched just right, it wavered slightly at the end, so faintly that anyone not paying close attention to it could just mistake it as a bird. But Legolas knew full well what that birdcall meant. Adoril and Meldon were around the camp, and trying to locate him. Legolas grimaced trying to think of a way to tell Adoril where he was without exposing himself or the other elves. Biting his lip, he lifted his manacled hands up and brought them down with a crash. He managed to do it twice before the guard came rushing in.

This time instead of back handing Legolas, the guard kicked him in his unprotected stomach. Legolas groaned in agony, hoping the sound would reach Adoril. He moved the chains again as he tried to bend over.

Another birdcall whistled and Legolas knew he had been located. After receiving several punches to his face the guard left as quickly as he came, leaving Legolas rather puzzled at his behavior. He had not heard any reasons for the guard's behavior, but rationalized that he must have gotten orders from the brute Govi.

Shifting ever so slightly he waited for dark to descend.

*~*~*

"You must rest." The words were spoken as a command.

Thalion shook his head wearily. "I must make my report to Lord Celeborn, Lord Elrond, Mithrandir, and Lady Galadriel, and then I will rest."

Haldir rolled his eyes, a rare loss of his vigilant poise. "You will collapse in the middle of the council and who will that help?"

Thalion stood, but was immediately pushed down. "I must see to my warriors." He protested.

Haldir firmly pressed Thalion further into the comfortable chair. "They are resting as you should be."

Thalion attempted to stand again. "I will rest as soon as I have made my report." He said, trying to wipe some dried blood off of his upper lip.

"Peace, son of Thranduil."

Both Haldir and Thalion jumped at the serene voice. They both turned to see Lady Galadriel standing at the doorway. Thalion immediately stood and bowed formally, his eyes lowered.

"My Lady." He said quietly.

"You need your rest, Thranduillion." She placed a smooth hand on his forehead. "Sleep." She whispered, using her elven abilities to sooth away weariness. Haldir and Galadriel watched as Thalion sank back into the chair his eyes slowly shut, a testimony of how exhausted he truly was.

"His heart is hurting." Galadriel said softly. "The lives of the other elves weigh heavily upon his heart and is slowly crushing him." She placed a hand over his heart. "He yearns for his wife and his family, but he knows he can't see them until the returns home, which is why he wants to get his report over and done with."

Haldir nodded slowly, clearly understanding the conflict in the younger elf's heart.

"Let him rest." Galadriel commanded, and quietly left.

Haldir smiled at the now sleeping prince and carefully lifted him over to the nearby bed and pulled off his boots and outer tunic and then placed a blanket over him. He blew out the lamp next to him and left to make sure the other Mirkwood warriors were getting their rest and their wounds taken care of.

Thalion drifted in a world of pain.

*"Thalion!!"*

He tossed.

* "NOOOO!!!"*

He turned.

* "There's nothing you can do!"*

He moaned.

* "Leave them!"*

He flayed.

*"Thalion! We must retreat!*

"Nooooo!!!!!" He sat up with a jerk; breathing heavily, sweat dripping from his face.

"Are you alright?"

Though the words were spoken softly, gently almost, Thalion still turned startled and wiped out his knife throwing himself around in a defensive position. The elf in front of him stepped back startled.

"Peace, son of Thranduil." The words were soothing against Thalion's irregular pulse.

Thalion slowly lowered the knife. "I apologize Lord Elrond." Thalion whispered tiredly.

"There is nothing to apologize for Prince Thalion." Elrond said dismissively. He sat next to the bed. "Long has it been since I last saw you." He said quietly.

Thalion smiled. "We were getting Legolas if I remember correctly."

Elrond nodded. "Yes, indeed."

Thalion sighed. "I trust my warriors are well cared for."

"Yes, they are." Elrond replied quietly studying the prince. "It's you who we are most worried about."

"Me?" Surprise reflected upon Thalion's voice as well as his face.

Elrond nodded. "To loose warriors is hard on anyone."

Thalion lowered his eyes, shamed at the tears pricking his eyelids. "They will always be remembered." He said quietly.

"It's not your fault Thalion."

Thalion looked up surprised at the statement. "Of course it is my fault." He spoke the words, incredulous at what the elven lord had said.

Elrond was already shaking his head before Thalion said the words. "No. It is not your fault. The warriors knew full well what they were getting."

"No, they did not." Thalion's face was anguished. "We decided not to tell them that we were coming here unless it was absolutely necessary. After seeing what we saw.." His voice dropped as he involuntarily shivered.

"What did you see?" Elrond's voice was gentle.

Thalion swallowed. "Ularie." He whispered. "Three of them."

Elrond sat back as the full implications pressed upon him. So the problem with Dol Guldur was a lot more serious than they had originally thought. Three Nazgul. He shook his head.

"Mirkwood is falling." Thalion allowed himself to sink back into the warm bed. "And there is nothing we can do."

Elrond looked at the worn out prince. Thalion was tired, more emotionally and mentally than physically. It was his spirit that was making his body tired. He was giving up. He had lost all hope when he had seen the Nazgul.

"Mirkwood will become green again Thranduillion." Both elves turned at the gravelly voice.

"Mithrandir." Thalion gave the wizard a weary smile. "Long has it been since you last visited us."

Gandalf gave a low chuckle as he settled himself into another chair. "Aye, it has been. You have married since I was last there, if I remember correctly."

Thalion laughed softly. "Ah, yes. Her name is Miriwen." His eyes glazed slightly thinking of her.

Gandalf laughed. "Better not tell that name to the orcs, lest they find his weakness."

Thalion blushed, thankful that the subject had been changed. Or so he thought.

"How is your father?" Gandalf queried.

"He is well." Thalion allowed. "Though the darkness of Mirkwood has long settled upon his heart."

"And your siblings?" Gandalf pressed.

Thalion gave a low chuckle. "They are well. Last I knew at least." His smile turned bitter. "Though many things can happen in Mirkwood now." He shook his head. "Legolas is or rather has been going on patrols with novices to the North. He is on one now. Lothgil has a secret love, Tasari finally realized there is more to life than horses."

Gandalf and Elrond laughed, each knowing Tasari's deep love for horses.

"Lomion is well as is Lainiel." A smiled curved Thalion's bloodless lips. "Miriwen is well."

Gandalf and Elrond exchanged glances. "Congratulations." Elrond patted Thalion's shoulder.

Thalion blinked surprised. "What?"

Elrond laughed. "Nothing."

Thalion looked suspiciously at the wizard and older elf. "What?"

Gandalf shook his head. "You must sleep now Thranduillion."

Thalion sat up. "I must make my report." He stated, pushing the covers off of his legs.

"You need your sleep more." Elrond advised.

"I have had enough sleep." Thalion dismissed the idea.

"As stubborn as his father." Gandalf muttered.

Thalion stood. "And proud of it."

Elrond nodded. "We will send it some fresh clothes for you to change into." He said standing to leave.

"Thank you." Thalion stretched his stiff limbs.

Elrond and Gandalf exchanged one more look then headed out. A few moments later a young female elf came and deposited some fresh clothing on the bed then quietly departed, once again leaving the prince alone.

Thalion unbuttoned his tunic and shrugged it off, then tugged free his shirt and pulled it off. Just as he was about to toss it aside he noticed a small cut in the fabric.

"Thalion! Watch out!"

He gently fingered the cut. The blade had not touched his skin, just barely missing him. The elf that had yelled out the warning however had not been so lucky. The blade he had been facing had pierced him through his heart. He had died protecting his prince. Just as the other three had. He hoped the elf he had sent to alert his Adar had lived. Out of the twelve warriors that had originally started on the mission only remained and two of them were wounded horribly. The others had been so battered by the constant terror and evil, Thalion wouldn't be surprised if some of them opted to stay in Lothlorien. Especially given the fact that three of the warriors had no family back in Mirkwood.

He sighed and carefully folded the shirt and tunic up, a habit that had remained with him ever since childhood. He gently sponged the dirt and dried blood off of his upper torso and face. He was filthy but didn't have time for a bath, perhaps after the council though he would be able to bathe. Donning the shirt Thalion suddenly missed the warm familiar scent of his own shirts, gently and lovingly washed and pressed by Miriwen. Bringing his own tattered shirt to his face he inhaled trying to find her wonderful scent. But all he smelled was dirt and blood.

Closing his eyes against the sudden surprising onslaught of tears, Thalion sank down once more into the bed. A knock sounded softly on the closed door, but Thalion was struggling not to give way to his grief, to answer. The door opened and Telos entered.

"Thalion? Are you alright?"

Wordlessly Thalion shook his head, his face still hidden. He knew he could trust Telos, but the fact that the other elf had found him in a moment of weakness shamed him. He felt the other elf sit next to him, placing a soothing hand on his shoulder. "There is no shame in tears, Thalion." Telos said gently.

"They shouldn't have died, Telos. They shouldn't have!" Thalion sobbed.

"Why are blaming yourself?" Telos demanded evenly.

"I led them to their deaths." Thalion whispered his face haunted.

"They weren't exactly kicking and screaming as you dragged them along." Telos forced Thalion to look at him. "Each warrior knew what they were risking when they volunteered for this mission. They weren't forced to come. They willing gave their lives for you because they knew they could trust you."

"But I let them down." Thalion lowered his eyes.

"No." Telos said simply. "You are still alive are you not?"

Thalion nodded.

"Then they died for their prince, it was not only their duty but their honor. They would rather themselves die than see you killed. Besides." A rare smile lit up Telos' face. "They probably would rather die than to tell your father of your death."

Thalion looked startled for a moment than began to laugh. After a few moments he quieted. "Sorry." He muttered.

Telos shook his head. "Don't be. I would rather hear you laugh then cry." He gave Thalion an encouraging pat on the back then stood. "The council has been gathered and are awaiting your arrival."

Thalion hastily stood and finished dressing; throwing his shoulders back, his chin up and his back straight he walked out the door. A careful mask over his inner turmoil's, Thalion walked out as a proper Prince of Mirkwood.

*~*~*

An owl hooted. The guard shifted uncomfortably, he had been guarding the elf just one day yet he was already sick of it. "If he makes a sound." Govi had said. "I don't want him to make a sound, so stop him from making sounds." The words, even now sent a chill down his back. Every single chain rattle he had gone in and either backhanded the elf or kicked him. But still the elf was almost stubborn in making the guard punish him.

He sighed as he heard another clank from the chains. As he entered the tent he froze in almost terror. The light from the fire outside reflected in the elf's eyes making the fair creature seem almost demonic. Swallowing his fear the guard pressed on and wickedly backhanded the elf again, for the twentieth time at least.

Only this time the elf gave him a smile. It was a frightful smile, one that filled the young guard with fear. Stepping back hastily the guard turned and almost ran out of the tent.

Legolas shook his head in exasperation. Humans! So quick to scare. Working his jaw around he heard and felt a distinct popping sound as his jaw went back into place. His face was slightly swollen from all the slaps he had gotten over the afternoon, but it was nothing compared to the fact that he might soon be leaving this prison.

He waited patiently until not even the fire outside the tent was bright enough to see much and then quietly gave an owl hoot.

It was answered and after a little while something or rather someone began to dig quietly next to the tents side. Then after a few moments of quiet someone slipped under the tent and quietly knelt next to Legolas.

"Legolas." Adoril greeted his prince.

"Adoril. Have you sent someone back to the palace yet?" Legolas questioned.

"Yes, we sent someone as soon as we found blood were you were captured." Adoril informed him.

"Good." Legolas replied simply.

"How are you?" Adoril asked worriedly.

"I've been better." Legolas replied matter-of-fact.

"I'm sure." Adoril replied dryly. "Can you get free?"

"No." Legolas sighed. "That Easterling holds the only key and to get it would be committing suicide."

Adoril hid his smile. "I'm sure." He retorted.

"Where are the others?" Legolas glanced around.

"They are guarding the area, if these humans decide to move around I will leave elves here to help guide whoever is coming." Adoril reported.

Legolas nodded. "Good."

"We are watching." Adoril said supportively.

"Don't let anyone get caught Adoril." Legolas said seriously. "I do not want to see another elf in here chained beside me."

Adoril nodded, knowing a direct command when he heard one. "We will wait." He reassured the elven prince. "We will wait."

Reviewer Responses:

A/N A little longer for you guys;-) Yes, Legolas and Thalion are the only royal family in this chapter. I will try and have a Legolas only chapter next, since most of the pieces are placed;-) Look for plenty of Legolas angst up ahead!

Daw the Minstrel: I feel as though I should apologize, you have reviewed, I believe all of my chapters, yet I have failed to return the favor to you. But I am reading it:-\ Hopefully I can go back and review;-) Thank you so much for sticking with me!

Thank you so much for your comments. I feel as though my efforts are to horrid;-) I try to make each character as life like as I possibly can. I take examples from my siblings and parents and many other things.

I don't think that Mirkwood was as insolated as those in Lothlorien as well, which is why there is a council there;-) 

Yes, Legolas is still in trouble and will not be getting out of trouble for a bit, the rider sent back to the realm hasn't even gotten there yet! But yes, there is hope;-) Thanks so much for the review!!

Nikara: I like your name! It is very cool;-) Yes, Legolas is in trouble, but he won't be getting out of it for a little while at least;-) Thanks so much for the review! 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List