Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Walk to Remember  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter

Chapter 5

Things of the Past

Thranduil stared at the map, as if he could literally see past the paper and into Mirkwood herself. Trying to see Thalion. 'If he still yet lives.' Thranduil crushed the idea ruthlessly. His son lived. He had to be alive. His fist clenched, unconsciously.

The death of the warrior elf in his arms had brought up many things that he thought he had buried, of his father racing foolishly against Mordor with many of his friends and companions. Of his brother dying in his arms after being stabbed in the stomach after they had been attacked returning to Greenwood after the Great War. Remembering finding Isildur's army after the orcs had attacked. Of blood, death, pain and fear. He had seen too much of it all in his lifetime. He rubbed a hand over his dry eyes. He had ceased to cry many, many years ago.

He had learned to wipe every emotion off of his face though he still felt it in his heart. Though many called him cold, he was far from it. The deaths of lost loved ones, best friends and others had hardened his heart, but it wasn't ice. He had only to look at his children to find that his heart still beat. He knew that his children desperately needed him as much as he needed them. Though Lomion could have easily taken over any of Thranduil's duties, he was content with just being a crown prince and letting his ada make the hard decisions still.

Thranduil allowed a smile cross his face. Lomion. His eldest child and son. A son to be proud of. He sat down on a plush chair, clearing his mind of all things except for his children. Lomion had somehow upset Lainiel and had begged to be let off of duties for a day to woo himself back into her good graces. Judging from the look on his face at lunch, he hadn't been successful so far.

Miriwen had quietly begun to reorganize everything in the healer's supply room, trying to keep busy. She had joined them for each meal and then quietly disappeared to find something else to do.

A new batch of wild horses had been caught and Tasari was in the process of taming them. Though Tasari didn't know that he knew it, Thranduil also suspected that he was trying to tame a heart of a young female as well. Thranduil had found out everything out about the young female, her parents, her history, her lineage, and her relatives. Nothing had been left out, and if Tasari worked the courage to ask his Adar to visit Arielle, he would receive his blessing.

It was Lothgil who was hiding something. Her eyes would often wander off and become dreamy. Thranduil knew the signs well, though his heart ached at the thought of losing his youngest daughter. He wondered who the elf was that held her heart captive. He was expecting a letter any day asking for her hand in marriage.

The thought of two children in love at the same time was rather a heart aching thought, but one that Thranduil knew very well. He had given away his oldest daughter, and had danced with her at her wedding. He had also danced with Lainiel and Miriwen, welcoming both into his care as an Adar. He looked forward to dancing with Tasari's future wife, and Legolas'. But he especially looked forward to dancing with his little 'Gil. She had been the one who loved to cuddle with her Adar no matter what. She had grown up to be a proper young lady, but Thranduil would always remember her as a small little elfling running into his arms.

Thranduil closed his eyes. He would lose his three women, who had each taken a piece of his heart. Lalaith, Loriel and now Lothgil. He would still have his sons, and their wives, but there was something precious in a daughter that no son could ever have.

"Ada?" Lothgil's soft voice brought him from his thoughts.

"Yes, my little one?"

"Are you alright?" Lothgil made her way to her Ada's side.

Thranduil smiled. She always worried about him. "Yes, my little one, I am alright."

She smiled brightly, pressing her lips against his cheek. "Come with me." She demanded.

"Oh?" Thranduil looked quizzically up into her eyes. "May I ask why?"

Lothgil laughed lightly. "No you may not." She scolded gently. "You have become a dark elf with all the matters pressing upon you." She tugged at his sleeve. "Come, I want to show you something."

Thranduil looked between his beautiful daughter and the pressing matters on his desk.

"Please?" She pleaded.

Thranduil smothered a smile. She had gotten that tactic from her mother. Widening her eyes and letting a pout form on her lips, she looked absolutely adorable. "For a few moments." He allowed her to pull him up.

He allowed her to lead him to the gallery full of paintings of the royal family, and others. The first picture showed Oropher with his new wife, then to a family portrait of Oropher, his wife and his two sons, Noliond and Thranduil.

Looking at the faces of his brother and father brought up many memories. Many happy, some sad and the final memories of their lives. Noliond had not gotten married choosing instead to become a fully-fledged warrior. Oropher respected his son's decision and had never brought him any grief for it. However since Thranduil was the younger son, he was expected to be married to ensure allies. When one was immortal, it wasn't as important to have an heir to the throne, since the king could only die in battle or from grief.

Little did any of them know that everything would change with a long, bloody war. Noliond and Thranduil had outlived their father, and in the end Thranduil outlived Noliond. Bitter memories surfaced looking at Noliond's face. Memories that for once, Thranduil didn't push down.

The war in Mordor had been a long one. Thranduil had seen his father die, his friend's die, his comrade's die, he saw elves die, and he saw men die. He had seen to many die in his lifetime. It had been Noliond's death that had surprised him.

They had started the long journey home, war weary and tired, but eager to see their loved ones again. Thranduil was especially looking forward to seeing his wife and young son. Their guard though relaxed was still wary, but the surprise of the orc attack had been what confused them. To their knowledge orcs were scattered, but they had been attacked by orcs who knew exactly what they were doing.

A single arrow to his chest had felled Noliond, piercing his lungs with one blow. One fatal blow. He had died in his brother's arms. Whispering to him of the memories of when they were children and hunting orcs had only been a simple game. He had died with a smile on his face as he departed to the halls of Mandos, leaving a bitter and angry young brother.

It had taken Thranduil many years to forgive his father and brother for leaving him. Nay, not just years, but also the love of his wife and his children.

Lothgil watched wordlessly as memories played across her Adar's face. Once peace reigned again they continued onto a picture of Thranduil and his new bride. The painter had captured the look of utter love; yet shy bashfulness as they held each other's hands.

Thranduil could remember so easily the happiness of that day. There had only been six other times when he could remember being so happy, and those times had been the births of his children.

Lothgil suddenly laughed. "I remember that picture."

Thranduil looked up at the family portrayed, done after Legolas' birth. Legolas had been very fussy at the sitting and refused to be pacified. They had to call off the sitting for a while until Lalaith nursed him back into good spirits. Thranduil had taken Legolas and was burping him over his shoulder, while Lalaith had been sitting the children back down, when Legolas had spit up warm milk all over the back of Thranduil's formal robes.

One giggle led to another and soon they were all laughing hysterically while Legolas fell asleep.

"He always did like to be the center of attention." Lothgil said ruefully. "Though I don't know why."

Thranduil chuckled, placing an arm around her, pulling her against him. "No, I doubt you would."

*~*~*

"Well you're the one who mouthed off first!"

"Yeah, well I'm not the one who kept going at it like some stupid human."

"Who are you calling a stupid human? It's not my fault that you decided to be all high and mighty!"

"High and mighty, my a."

"Yeah high and mighty. If it hadn't been for you, Legolas wouldn't be out there!"

"Oh! So it's all my fault know is it!"

"Yeah!"

"Yeah!"

"ENOUGH!!!"

Isofir and Taithar turned to see Gilgolas glaring at them. "Enough." He hissed. He pointed to the still unconscious, bleeding prince still tied to the tree. "I will not watch him bleeding for what just happened, while you two argue whose fault it is!" He narrowed his eyes, "Have either one of you thought as to why Legolas claimed to be our bodyguard?" He asked, his voice low and dangerous.

Nonplused both elves shook their heads.

"Because he doesn't want them to know that he is out prince." Gilgolas ground out furious. "If you say any to antagonize them again, Legolas will bear the brunt of it. Not us."

Taithar blinked confused. "Why?"

Gilgolas' eyes glittered "Because that is their job." He said simply. "We need to get out of here and let the other's know what has happened."

"And how to you expect us to do that?" Isofir asked cautiously. "We are bound in chains not ropes."

Gilgolas nodded. "I know, but have you noticed any certain bird calls?"

As if on cue a bird called out.

"That's Adoril!" Taithar exclaimed excitedly.

"Shhhh!" Both Gilgolas and Isofir hissed simultaneously

Once Taithar drew back, chastised, Gilgolas looked carefully around and then let out a soft birdcall.

It was answered.

Letting out a sigh of relief, Gilgolas slumped backwards.

"Well?" Taithar asked.

"Adoril is coming to talk to us. So be ready." Gilgolas informed them.

Isofir glanced at the growing darkness. "Soon?" He asked.

Gilgolas nodded. "Soon."

*~*~*

A piercing screech halted everyone in their tracks. They glanced around furtively, searching for the place where it had come from.

Thalion slowly stood from his crouch. And then motioned everyone else to. They were close to Dol Guldur now, and each one could feel the sheer evilness of the woods around them. It was like trying to breath without air, it was truly and utterly terrifying for each elf to even stand his ground against the unseen enemy.

Another screech drove the elves into flight, each hiding, weapon drawn, eyes fixed upon the sole place it could be coming from. Dol Guldur.

"Thalion, we can not linger here." The voice of the elf was just as faint as the wind.

Thalion gave a short nod. "We go to Dol Guldur then push onto Lothlorien, if we find anything amiss." His eyes narrowed. "I think we have just found what we have been looking for."

The other elves followed his glance at the tower. Not one, but three Nazgul stood at the entrance. Thalion bit back the horror threatening him.

He glanced around him at the other elves. "We push onto Lothlorien."

"Why?"

"Mithrandir and Elrond are in Lothlorien awaiting our arrival. Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel have requested us to find out about Dol Guldur. Now we know who and what occupies it, they need to know." Thalion whispered.

"Why didn't you tell us before?"

Thalion flashed a bitter smile at his subordinate. "There was no need until now."

*~*~*

"Tasari!"

Weary from a long hard day of work, Tasari heaved a sigh, his only wish to sink into a tub of hot water to clean off not only his sweat but also the sweet of the horses. "Yes?"

"I, um."

Tasari turned at the feminine voice.

"Arielle?" He asked incredulously, staring at the beautiful young female before him.

Arielle bit her lip, shyly smiling. "I um, was wondering if you could do me a favor." She asked hesitantly.

Instantly all weariness disappeared from Tasari's body. "Sure!" He replied cheerily.

Arielle laughed at the quick reply. "I was wondering if you could help me teach Corielle a couple of tricks." She asked, referring her own horse that she owned.

"A couple of tricks?" Tasari asked, a little confused. "Like what?"

"I want him to learn how to kneel, and lie down." Arielle replied, her head turning ever so slightly to the side as she looked at Tasari's expression.

Tasari blinked. "I uh, don't really know how to teach a horse how to do that." He admitted. "I just teach them how to submit to an elf's touch."

"Oh." There was keen disappointment on Arielle's face.

"But." Tasari hastened to say. "I have been wanting to learn how and I believe my Adar has several books on the art of teaching horses tricks." He smiled. "I could study them if you'd like."

"Really?" Arielle enthused. "You'd do that for me?"

Tasari laughed, partly to hide the blush working it's way up his face. "Of course!"

Arielle smiled softly, taking Tasari's breath away from him. The setting sun made a perfect glow around her head, making a halo. And for a second, Tasari could easily picture her as his wife.

She stood on her tiptoes and gave him a light kiss upon his cheek. "Thank you." She whispered and turning, fled back to her home.

Tasari stared after her, unconsciously reaching a hand up to touch where she had kissed him. She had kissed him! Letting a sigh out he turned and continued on his way, completely oblivious to everything except that one single kiss.

Lomion stopped short as he walked past him, but Tasari took no notice, continuing to his room. Not looking backward, he didn't see his oldest brother smile and shake his head. Remembering the same time when he had been so completely stricken with just a single kiss.

Reviewer replies:

Daw the Minstrel: Well, you can't believe everything you read! lol. Thank you so much for the complitment. I was really struggling with this story, but reviews like yours make me want to finish!:-) Thanks again!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List