Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Enigmas- The Life and Love of Linwe and Frodo  by MysteriousWays

Chapter Nineteen

 

 

With the matter of housing settled for Rosie and Sam, Rosie wasted no time in naming May first as the day she and Sam would finally be married.  The wedding was scarcely a month away when a large crate arrived at the Cotton home, addressed to Rosie and Linwe. Much fuss was made over the fact that it bore the seal of the King of Gondor.  When the crate was opened there was a letter resting on a bed of fat, curly wood shavings, which had been used or packing material.  Linwe opened the letter and saw it was from none other than Queen Arwen.

Dearest Linwe and Rosie,

Greetings along with warm wishes to you both, from myself and my husband Elessar, Aragorn or Strider as Sam, Frodo, Merry, and Pippin more commonly know him.  We hope this finds you well and happy.  I feel I know you well, though we have never had the pleasure of meeting in person.  Sam spoke of you often, Rosie, during his stay here in Minis Tirith.  And you, Linwe, have been described in caring detail in letters Frodo has written to us.

In early March we received a letter form Frodo, in which Frodo expressed the wish to show his appreciation to you both for the warm hospitality he received from Rosie’s family and for both your efforts in helping to restore Bag End.  Being reasonably sure that Sam would soon ask for Rosie’s hand in marriage, Frodo thought that the two of you might like something special to make new gowns for the wedding.  Frodo asked me if I might choose materials and send them to you, a task I was happy to accept.

For Rosie, I chose an Elvish made fabric of Periwinkle blue.  I remember one day, walking through the gardens here, with Sam.  He pointed out the periwinkles to me and said they made him think of you, that they were one of your favorite flowers, and that he thought you looked especially lovely in that shade of blue.

For Linwe, Frodo suggested that you might like something in a soft pink, as he believed that to be your favorite color.

         I hope that some day I will get the pleasure of meeting you both and spending time with you.  I would very much love to see the Shire, the homeland of four of the bravest, kindest people I have ever met.   

                                                                          Wishing much happiness to you both,

                                                                         Arwen Evenstar

For the next four weeks, Linwe was kept busy with sewing and other wedding preparations.  Since the groom was one of the famous four travelers, there was hardly a person in the Shire who did not want to come.  The whole event started to take on the characteristics of a large festival.  Farmer Cotton had been concerned with how he was going to afford to feed so many, but as arrangements were being made, one person after another refused payment for their goods and services.  Everyone wanted to show their gratitude to the travelers and to the Cotton family as well, for starting the revolt that had freed the Shire.

The day of the wedding was as perfect a spring day as anyone could want.  The wedding was to be held in the party field, by the young Mallorn tree, which was in full bloom.  Frodo and Sam arrived at the party field to join other close friends and family awaiting the arrival of the guests.  Frodo had not seen Linwe in a week.  He had missed her more than he expected to.  Mayor Whitwell was to conduct the ceremony, but that left Frodo with nearly as much to do as Linwe, so they had not been able to find time for even ten minutes of quiet chat.

Linwe was standing by the Mallorn tree, talking with Merry, Pippin and a few others.  When Frodo saw her he stopped, in mid stride.  He had of course heard when the things he had asked Arwen to send had arrived, but Rosie and Linwe had decided that no one was to see even so much as a single stitch of the gowns until the day of the wedding.  Frodo was not in anyway prepared for the vision before him.

When Frodo had written to Arwen, with his request, he had asked her to choose for Linwe, a fabric in soft pink remembering Linwe’s own soft pink blush that stole across her cheeks when she was embarrassed.  Somehow, Arwen happened to choose just the perfect shade.  There stood Linwe, in a pale pink gown, with a slender bodice that flared out at her hips in long generous folds of fabric.  The sleeves of the gown were Elvish in design, bell shape with the fabric wrapping around the arms in a way that made them resemble a leaf.  The scoop neck line was accented in embroidery, again of Elvish design, and cut wide showing a considerable amount of Linwe’s delicate skin.  Linwe had left her hair down as usual, but on top of it she had set a circlet of pale pink and white flowers, entwined with ivy, and pale pink ribbons that trailed down from it and wound themselves through the curls of her hair.

Sam had walked on several steps before he realized that Frodo was no longer with him.  Sam turned back and saw the mesmerized look on Frodo’s face, then following the direction of Frodo’s gaze he saw Linwe.  Sam smiled “Are you coming Frodo?”

Frodo closed his eyes for a moment, when he opened them again they were turned in Sam’s direction, Frodo smiled a little sheepishly.  “It is a fine day for your wedding Sam, a truly fine day.”

Not very long after Sam and Frodo had arrived, Rosie emerged from the small pavilion where she had been making her final preparations.  Frodo stopped looking at Linwe long enough to notice Sam noticing Rosie.  Rosie’s gown was cut in a similar style to Linwe’s but the delicate embroidery was accented with tiny clear crystals that caught the afternoon sun.  Her hair was piled in loose curls atop her head, some of them trailing down around her face and along her neck.  Tucked in among the curls were periwinkle blossoms.  Frodo was suddenly overwhelmed with happiness for his dearest friend.

It seemed before Frodo was even aware of it; the wedding ceremony was over with the feasting and merry making now well underway.  Time after time Frodo would find himself standing watching Linwe from a distance.  Once in a while he would go to stand close to her but then someone one would come and whisk her off for a dance or some such thing.  Frodo was standing by him self, not far from the sapling Mallorn tree, watching Linwe with her latest dance partner, remembering a time when he would have been dancing too, though now that time seemed so very long ago.

“You know every lass here, is ready to pull all of her hair out tonight?” 

Frodo was startled out of his reverie and turned to find Rosie standing beside him.  “What was that?”

“I said that every lass here is ready to pull her hair out, Linwe’s hair that is.”

Frodo’s eyes widened in puzzlement, “And why is that?”

“I should think you could see that for yourself, Frodo dear, you have been watching her all of the afternoon and evening.  It is because Linwe has the attention of every lad here.”

Frodo looked about.  Sure enough, what Rosie said was true.  It seemed that nearly every young lad there was looking at Linwe.

“Looking at her now, out there, apparently having a wonderful time, would you believe that not so very long ago she did her best to be invisible at large gatherings such as this?”  asked Rosie.

“At this very moment, no, though at other times I could believe it.” Frodo said quietly.

“I was just speaking with Merry’s mother, she is quit amazed in the changes she sees in Linwe since she came here.  It seems that Linwe did her very best to be nearly invisible the entire time that she was at Brandy Hall. Now here she is dancing as though she does this at every festival.  She has stolen at least half the hearts here. And as if that was not enough she is totally unaware of all of it.  She is an innocent.”

Frodo smiled “Yes, she is.”

“And it is that innocence that makes us all love her that much more.”

“Yes it is,” said Frodo as he watched Linwe and Merry dance together.

“Go and dance with her, Frodo.”

“I don’t think so, Rosie.”

“Frodo Baggins, go dance with her or I shall have Sam throw you into her arms as you once threw him into mine!”

Frodo laughed and smiled, “I will, but you have to promise me that I will have a dance with you as well!”

“I wouldn’t dream of missing a dance with you, sir, but not until you have taken Linwe for a turn,” laughed Rosie.

 

~~~~~~

Late that evening, Sam and Rosie retired to Bag End.  Frodo had insisted that they have the place to themselves for a few days making arrangements for himself to stay at The Green Dragon.  Sam had protested this of course, but Linwe stepped in, firmly telling Sam that it would be a good opportunity to begin getting settled as a couple without a lot of others underfoot.  She pointed this out to Sam in such a tone that he was afraid to argue with her further, thus the whole matter was settled.

Soon after the newlyweds had slipped away from the festivities, Linwe was sitting listening to Merry, Pippin, and Frodo as they talked about the goings on of the Shire.  Linwe was tired; it had been a very long day.  She leaned her head on her arm, dozing off before she knew it.  One moment she was listening to the three talking about the prospects for that years pipe weed crop, the next thing she knew, Frodo was gently nudging her shoulder.  “Linwe!  Come on, why don’t I walk you home now.”

Linwe sat up a bit, blinked a few times trying to take in where she was.  When her eyes fell on Frodo’s she smiled.  “All right, I suppose so.”

“How about Merry and I walk with you, Frodo, so then you have company on the walk back to the Green Dragon,” suggested Pippin.

Merry answered before Frodo could.  “No Pippin, I think Frodo can manage this on his own, we need to check the ponies before we turn in.”

“No, we don’t Merry; the ponies are perfectly fine…”

Merry kicked Pippin in the leg under the table.  “We really need to check those ponies Pippin,” said Merry with a slight jerk of his head towards Frodo and Linwe.

Suddenly Pippin’s eye’s lit up with understanding.  “Oh Yes!  How could I have forgotten the ponies?  I think mine was pulling up a wee bit lame on the way here, I really should look in on him.”

The four of them stood up together, Merry and Pippin each gave Linwe a good night kiss on the cheek, then they went one way as Frodo gave Linwe his arm and they set off another way.

Frodo and Linwe went back over little details of the day as they made their way towards the Cotton farm.  It was a beautiful night, the perfect ending to an equally beautiful day.  The moon was nearly full; stars were twinkling across the soft night sky.  Both were enjoying the peaceful walk, so much so that each was rather disappointed to arrive at the doorstep of the Cotton home.  For a moment they stood facing one another saying nothing

“I just wanted to tell you that you looked really lovely today, you still do even.  It was worth waiting for,” said Frodo stumbling over his words.

“Oh well, thank you.  Thank you again as well for the fabric and things to make the gown; you really did not have to do that.”

Frodo could see in the light from a lamp by the door that Linwe was blushing.  It matched the shade of her gown so perfectly that it made him smile.  “It wasn’t that much.”

Frodo looked down to notice he was still holding Linwe’s hand.  He thought for a moment how pretty her hand was and how good it felt to hold it in his own.  Finally he looked up at her again; “Well I suppose it is time you went inside.”

“Yes, I suppose so.  Thank you for walking me home, Frodo.”

“It was my pleasure.”

“Good night, Frodo.”

“Good night, Linwe.”  Then remembering Merry and Pippin when they took their leave of her, Frodo suddenly found himself leaning forward to kiss her tenderly on the cheek.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List