Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Runaway  by Lindelea

Chapter 27. Not All the Talk...

The talk ran low about the Great Smials; there was not much to talk about with the Thain and his son gone to Buckland, the Mistress evidently holding her own with this new babe, and the sister of the Thain no longer suffering early pains. There were only common things to talk about: the pigs somehow escaping and having to be rounded up; Old Tom's youngest son being thrown from the pony he was training, breaking an arm; the waste of a batch of holiday cakes due to the fact that someone had switched labels on barrels of salt and sugar...

Tookish tongues were aching to wag on the day the Steward returned from Tookbank. The only news of interest was that he'd concluded his business a week early. That was to be expected from one as efficient as Reginard. Tookish teeth were ready to sink themselves into something juicy, a scandal, perhaps, but none offered itself for consumption. Ferdi had not yet returned, but that was nothing to comment on. He'd taken the son of the Thain on to Buckland, after all, and probably stayed to enjoy the Hall's famous hospitality and brandy in the bargain. Tolly kept the Smials running smoothly; he'd a list of tasks as long as his arm that Ferdi had drawn up for him before leaving, and it was a wonder the head of escort found time to eat and sleep.

As it was, Tolly was in Tuckborough when Reginard returned around noontide, and since the Steward took the midday meal with his family, the head of escort didn't see him in the great room when he ate with Haldegrim and Isenard and their families. Meadowsweet frowned to see her husband picking at his food. She certainly hoped a message would come from Ferdi this day, before Tolly wasted away to a shadow of himself. The talk was all about the loss of the brandy-cakes and spicecakes and so Tolly did not hear of Reginard's return until he sat down in the second parlour to a game of Kings with Isenard, the first relaxation he’d allowed himself since Ferdi’d left.

‘Where's Haldi?’ he asked, moving a piece.

Isen studied the board, knitting his brows. ‘Dancing attendance upon the Steward,’ he replied absently.

‘Regi's back?’ Tolly said, abruptly sitting upright. ‘Why didn't anyone tell me?’

Isenard looked up, surprised at first at Tolly's reaction, but of course, the head of escort took his job seriously. ‘You were out,’ he said. ‘I imagine he'll call for you sooner or later.’

Just before teatime, the call came.

***

Gorbibold burst into Diamond's sitting room without knocking. ‘Mum! Come quick - they've arrested Da and they're taking him off somewhere!'

‘What!' Meadowsweet sprang up, her sewing thrown aside. ‘Where?’ she demanded. ‘Where is he?’

‘They were just leaving the Thain's study, and Mum! They tied Da's hands!'

Diamond's face had gone white as milk. ‘Go, Sweetie, find out what's going on!' she said, her voice faint. But Meadowsweet was gone already, the door left open behind her and her son at her heels.

She nearly ran into them in the main corridor, Tolly with his hands bound, Haldi hanging onto his arm, a crowd of staring, whispering hobbits following.

‘Tolly, what's happened? Where are they taking you?’ she cried, ignoring the other hobbits as if they hadn't been there at all. Tolly shook his head at her. Don't make things worse, his eyes pleaded. But Haldigrim brushed her aside. Tolly wasn't talking! Dread clutching her heart, Meadowsweet realised that they'd warned him against speaking until interviewed by the Thain, serious business indeed, the kind of thing that led to shunning or banishment...

‘Business of the Thain,’ Haldi said grimly, refusing to look at her. Though Meadowsweet couldn't see it, he was sick at heart at this turn of events. He didn't think Tolly had conspired to harm the son of the Thain, but evidently Reginard and Everard, two of the sharpest minds in Tookland, did. ‘Tolly, do you want...?’ Did he want Meadowsweet to accompany him to the hearing? It was his right, and hers.

Tolly shook his head again, then glancing at Haldi as if feeling the gag already in his mouth, he whispered, ‘All will be well, Sweetie. Take care of the children. I--' She saw Haldi's knuckles whiten as he gripped Tolly's arm, and her husband broke off. As Haldi pulled Tolly away, nearly dragging him by the arm, Meadowsweet saw in her husband’s eyes what he'd not been allowed to say: I love you! Meadowsweet was left standing in the corridor, twisting her apron in her hands. Around her was a buzz of talk as hobbits poured into the corridor, staring at the spectacle of the head of escort being led away bound.

She pushed through the crowd to one of the sitting rooms at the front of the Smials where she could see outside. She pressed her face to the glass, watching as ponies were brought up, already saddled and carrying gear for travel. Tolly came in sight, still held firmly by Haldigrim. He looked back to the Smials, and she tapped on the window, mouthing 'I love you!' when he glanced her way. He nodded and smiled at her, and then Haldi was helping him to mount his pony as his wrists were still bound before him. Reginard joined them and a moment later they were riding away, Regi a little ahead of the others, Haldi and Isen flanking Tolly's pony. She watched them out of sight and then sank to the floor, covering her head with her shawl, shuddering with sobs.

Nell found her there half an hour later, huddled under the window. She had finished weeping and sat with her legs pulled up, her face on her knees, shawl still thrown over her head.

‘Sweetie? Are you awake?’ Nell asked gently, tugging the shawl away.

Meadowsweet looked up. Her face was swollen and blotchy, but her eyes were dry. ‘Business of the Thain,’ she said bitterly. ‘He wouldn't allow me one minute with my husband, he was that full of himself; wouldn't so much as let Tolly say he loved me.’ Her voice rang in the empty room, fear and sorrow overborne by outrage. ‘We give our hearts and lives to serving the Thain; I neglect my own childer to watch over his wife, and his escort drags my husband away before my eyes and all he can say is "Business of the Thain"!' She got up slowly, her limbs stiffened from sitting so long in one position.

‘Who was it, Sweetie? Who wouldn't let you speak to Tolly?’ Nell was alarmed; she had never seen Meadowsweet in such a mood.

‘I'm going back to my quarters, Nell. Send my childer there if you see any of them, please.’ A sudden thought struck her; Woodruff was attending Diamond just now; Mardi would be at his home in Tuckborough and wouldn't know that his younger brother had been arrested and escorted off somewhere. She must send word to him!

‘O Sweetie, won't you come back and talk to Diamond? She's terribly upset about this; she sent me to find you.’ Nell moved to put an arm around Meadowsweet, but her friend stiffened and put her off.

She's upset! I'm surprised she even wants to see my face after my husband's been hauled away in bonds!' she snapped.

‘I'm sure it's all some sort of misunderstanding,’ Nell soothed, but Meadowsweet rounded on her.

‘Misunderstanding!' she said sharply. ‘They don't bind your hands and tongue over a misunderstanding! Next I hear, Tolly might be under the Ban, or banished completely!'

‘It'll hardly come to that,’ Pimpernel said, but Meadowsweet shook her head.

‘You lived away from Tookland too long,’ she said. ‘You've forgotten the Thain's justice.’

Pimpernel was stunned silent. When she finally was able to speak, she said slowly, ‘Peregrin is not Paladin.’

‘Well it looks as if the acorn hasn't fallen far from the tree!' Meadowsweet retorted.

Pimpernel held her temper with an effort. ‘Sweetie,’ she said, hand on her friend's arm, but Sweetie was thinking of Mardi, and pulled away.

‘I've got to tell him,’ she said.

‘Tell who?’ Nell said, confused.

‘Mardi! He doesn't know Tolly's in trouble,’ Meadowsweet said. ‘He's eldest brother, he ought to be there to stand up for Tolly!'

A servant stuck his head in at the parlour door. ‘Begging your pardon,’ he said, ‘but the Mistress sent me to see if you need anything.’

‘You know of the arrest?’ Meadowsweet said, drawing herself up to her full height.

‘Yes’m,’ he said apologetically. ‘It’s all the talk, ma’am.’

‘Then go – send a message to Healer Mardibold, he’s at home in Tuckborough, tell him what’s happened,’ she ordered.

‘Yes’m,’ came the deferential answer. Meadowsweet wondered how long the deference would last. With Tolly arrested, how soon would the whispers and stares assail herself and her little ones? Perhaps they ought to leave the Smials now, before the Talk could hurt the children.

‘Well?’ she demanded. ‘What are you waiting for?’

‘The Mistress sent me,’ the servant repeated. Meadowsweet realised that already her orders were being questioned. She might have to go to Tuckborough herself, or send one of the lads.

‘Yes, yes,’ Pimpernel broke in impatiently. ‘We’ll see to the Mistress. You have your orders, carry them out!’

‘Yes’m,’ the servant said, and bowed his way out.

Meadowsweet stood stiff a moment longer, then sighed and patted Nell's hand.

‘You're a good sort, Nelly. Yes, I'll go to Diamond after I've seen to my little ones. ‘Tisn't her fault, poor poppet.’ She looked Pimpernel in the face, and her brown eyes had lost all their sparkle. ‘I'll help you care for Diamond, but it's for her own sake and not for the Thain. Pippin Took has Haldigrim to look out for his business, and that's more than enough – he'll get no help from me!’

‘Sweetie –’ Nell hardly knew how to respond. ‘Pippin's my brother, you know.’

Meadowsweet nodded. ‘I haven't forgotten that. I won't hold it against you, though.’ She turned and was gone, and Nell stood with her mind whirling. Pippin was in Buckland – did he even know of Tolly's arrest? What was going on – and where in heaven's name was Farry?

That night and the next day were agony for Meadowsweet and her little brood. She kept to her rooms with her little ones as much as possible. Rusty brought their meals and cleared away; he buffered them as well as he could from the wild talk and speculation that ran round the Smials, for Tolly and Sweetie and their children were like a second family to him. Tolly was as honourable and upright as the day was long – what could have possessed the Steward, to have him bound and carried away?

Mardibold came at once from Tuckborough and divided his time between Diamond and Meadowsweet.

‘I haven’t been summoned to attend a hearing,’ he said in reassurance that night, after the little ones were abed, but Meadowsweet was not reassured.

‘What could it be?’ she asked apprehensively. ‘His wretched wagering? I could see how it might earn him a reprimand, but this?’

A terrible storm had broken over Tuckborough that night, mirroring the storm of fear and anger buffeting Meadowsweet. Deep inside the Smials as their suite was, they still felt the effects of the storm as the wind roared outside, sending gusts down the chimneys to flatten the dancing flames on the hearths throughout the dwelling. As yet another gust roared down the chimney, Meadowsweet shivered. ‘They’re out in this,’ she whispered, ‘wherever it is they’ve gone.’

‘I’m sure they sought shelter,’ Mardi said.

‘Shelter,’ Meadowsweet said bleakly. ‘More hobbits to see him bound, more to talk...’

Mardi took her hand. ‘We’ll weather this blow,’ he said. ‘My brother is an honourable hobbit, and if his debts have landed him in trouble... well, I have a bit put away. He’s welcome to it, if it’ll help.’

‘O Mardi!’ Meadowsweet said, her eyes filling with tears. She squeezed his hand but could say no more. A tap came on the door of the suite, and Mardi went to answer, Rusty having gone off duty by this time.

‘Is Sweetie in?’ a sober voice inquired. Two hobbits stood at the door. Mardi was ready to put them off, but Meadowsweet rose, seeing the visitors: Hildigrim Took and Fortinbrand, two of her husband’s largest creditors.

‘Come in,’ she said cautiously. ‘May I offer you tea?’

‘No, thank you,’ Hildigrim said, waiting to seat himself until she was seated. She took comfort in this small courtesy.

Fortinbrand, always one to go straight to the point of a matter, said abruptly, ‘Tolly’s in trouble.’

‘You heard,’ Sweetie said wryly.

‘It’s all the Talk,’ Hildigrim answered apologetically. ‘We’ve come —’

‘We’ve come to offer any aid we can,’ Fortinbrand broke in. ‘It was a bit of bad luck for him, that pony pulling up lame. I tried to talk him out of wagering so heavily, but — ’

‘Very kind of you, I’m sure,’ Sweetie said ironically, and he shot her a sharp glance.

Hildigrim said stubbornly, ‘We’ve come to forgive his debts. That’ll take some of the burden from him, if it’s the debt that has put him in trouble.’ Debt was a disgrace to any self-respecting hobbit, and perhaps the Thain did not tolerate it in his subordinates. Though Thain Peregrin was not a harsh taskmaster, he was an exacting one. He took a paper from his waistcoat and gave it to Fortinbrand who added his own paper to it and extended them both to Meadowsweet.

‘There you are,’ Fortinbrand said. ‘He owes us nothing now, and I won’t take any more wagers from him, not even for a mug of ale.’

‘Nor I,’ Hildigrim said. ‘Wagering is one thing, but ruining someone is quite another.’

Meadowsweet took the papers and looked from one to another, at a loss for words. Fortinbrand looked to Hildigrim and both rose. ‘We won’t impose any further,’ the latter said.

Meadowsweet rose as well. ‘I—’ she said, holding the papers absently.

‘Thank you,’ Mardibold put in smoothly, escorting the two to the door.

Fortinbrand said in parting, ‘If there’s anything we can do, anything at all...’

‘Thank you,’ Mardibold repeated. ‘We’ll keep that in mind.’ He closed the door firmly behind them. ‘You see?’ he said, returning to the sofa. ‘Not all the talk is against you.’

‘That’s a mercy,’ Meadowsweet said softly. ‘I can only hope the Thain feels the same way.’






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List