Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

If It's Trewsday It Must Be Buckland...  by Dreamflower

March 9, 2011:
Write a story or poem or create artwork where the characters have to decide between loyalty or betrayal.

Breaking the Rules

"Sneaks, eh," said a rough voice. "Not a pretty word, Hayward."

Hob turned from watching the four hobbits ride away, and the joy that had begun to bloom in his heart evaporated, turning to instant anger.

"Sneaks! I said and sneaks I meant, Tim Hogpen!  What kind of loyalty is it, telling tales to the Big Men?"

"Loyalty to the Shirriffs," the other hobbit replied.  "You're a shirriff, it's your duty to tell of aught that anyone does against the Rules!"

"And betray hobbits?  Betray our friends and neighbours, just for a feather in my cap?"  Hob took his hat off.  "I've had enough o' that." He threw the cap on the ground. "I'm off-- and don't think to stop me, for I'm going to Brandy Hall and tell 'em Mr. Merry and Mr. Frodo's back!  Put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

"What do you think you're doing?" A new voice intruded.  Otto Clayhanger was the Chief Shirriff at the bridge house, a cousin of Lotho Sackville-Baggins from the Southfarthing.

"I'm doing what I should've done a long time ago.  I'm quitting!  And don't tell me I can't.  You don't have no hold over me since my mam died last month!"

"Well, you aren't going nowhere," he said.  "Grab 'im!"

Tim took hold of Hob by the arms, but Hob jerked loose.  And then suddenly Tim went pale and stepped back.

"What's the matter with you?" Otto yelled.  But something in Tim's expression caused him to turn and look behind him.  Almost all of the other shirriffs were surrounding him, arms crossed and looking grim.

"I think we've all had enough," said one.  "I'm fed up with being a traitor to the Shire. And you don't got Ferny to back you up anymore!"  And he also threw his hat down.

One by one, the other hobbits threw their hats away, some even stomping on them.

In the end, Otto, Tim and two others found themselves locked in the nearly empty larder of the shirriff-house, while all the others marched away, following Hob on the road South to Brandy Hall...

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List