Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Glimpses of Middle-earth  by Linda Hoyland

A/N Three drabbles depicting the thoughts of three of Tolkien's characters in March 3019

Title – I believe in Yesterday
Author: Linda Hoyland
Characters/Pairing: Denethor
Rating: PG
Warnings: None
Book/Source: LOTR book-verse
Disclaimer – Middle-earth belongs to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.


The world crumbles to ruin. It spins like a wheel that no man can halt. What hope is left for me? To die at the hand of Sauron’s minions. or to serve as the dotard chamberlain to a puppet of Mithrandir’s!

The past at least is secure, well nigh thousand years of selfless duty to Gondor we Stewards served. Kings we may not have been, but we loved our land as well as any scion of Elendil’s, better I would say!

I would join my longfathers in their quiet tombs and there dream forever of the glory that is fled.

Title – The Past at least is Secure
Author: Linda Hoyland
Characters/Pairing: Elrond
Rating: PG
Warnings: None
Book/Source: LOTR book-verse
Disclaimer – Middle-earth belongs to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.


Yesterday, I feared Middle earth was doomed to darkness. Had Sauron triumphed, the Age of Men and Elves was over. I could have sailed to Valinor with my daughter, but would have left behind the sons of my body; together with one I came to love as my own child.

The One Ring is destroyed. I should rejoice, yet my heart is heavy. The power of Vilya is lost, and so is my daughter.

I try to share her joy as she speaks of joining her beloved Estel, but my heart is breaking. Yesterday was dark, and so is tomorrow.


Title – A Brighter Tomorrow
Author: Linda Hoyland
Characters/Pairing: Aragorn, Arwen
Rating: PG
Warnings: None
Book/Source: LOTR book-verse
Disclaimer – Middle-earth belongs to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.

Yesterday we stood at the brink of oblivion, our survival hanging by a mere thread. Today, thanks to Frodo and Sam, we have hope; hope for a future we scarcely could imagine yesterday.

I dare to dream of being with my love. At last our long years of waiting are over and I can take her as my wife and Queen! Together we will raise children and share our love till the end of our days.

The crown is now mine. Together with Arwen, I will restore Gondor and rebuild Arnor. I, Envinyatar, embrace the future with joy and hope.






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List