Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Glimpses of Middle-earth  by Linda Hoyland

Title – Responsibility
Author: Linda Hoyland
Characters/Pairing: Frodo
Rating G
Warnings: None
Book/Source: LOTR book-verse
Disclaimer – Middle-earth belongs to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.


I don’t think I like adventures much. Nothing would please me more now, than to be safely back home in my comfortable Hobbit hole. I’ve done as Gandalf advised me and brought the Ring safely to Rivendell, where wiser folk than I can dispose of it.

But no one speaks; no one offers to take the burden from me. The Ring is mine, my responsibility. Maybe it did come to me for a purpose?

I know what I should do. Something greater than I compels me to speak;
“I will take the Ring though I do not know the way.”


Title – The Hour has Come
Author: Linda Hoyland
Characters/Pairing: Halbarad, Aragorn
Rating PG
Warnings: Character death
Book/Source: LOTR book-verse
Disclaimer – Middle-earth belongs to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.
With grateful thanks to Raksha

My lord’s hour has come at last. Proudly, I hold his standard aloft, so all might see that the Heir of Elendil has come to claim his birthright.

The enemy assails me from all sides, eager to tear down this sign of hope.

I know that my death is approaching. I fear not; we Dúnedain are proud to die for Isildur's Heir. Gladly I answered my Chieftain’s call and followed him here. O, that I could see him crowned! That shall not be; yet it is a small sacrifice. I will die content; bearing the banner of the King Returned!


Title – To the End
Author: Linda Hoyland
Characters/Pairing: Aragorn
Rating PG
Warnings: Character deaths
Book/Source: LOTR book-verse
Disclaimer – Middle-earth belongs to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien. This story was written for pleasure and not for financial gain.

We won the field today, but it was only one battle, not the war. The cost was heavy indeed. Valiant Halbarad fell together with Théoden King and many more brave men.

I am weary. How tempting it would be to rest and let others continue the fight.

But no, I must fight on until the end, however bitter.

The Dark Lord now knows my name. I will draw him out. Let his eye fall on me so that Frodo may have a better chance! As I have begun, so I will go on! Sauron, come forth, I, Elendil’s heir, challenge you!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List