Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

Hi all!

I'm ba-ack! :D Thanks for not killing me or sending the orcs after me while I'm away. Heh. I may be posting the next chapter tomorrow to make up for my long absence so keep your eyes open :) Anyway, on with the story!

---------------- 

Disclaimer and Acknowledgements: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 30 – Don’t Close Your Eyes

The human and elf sat in comfortable silence for the longest time enjoying each other’s company. After drinking the wake-up juice, both were wide-awake and were in no fear of falling asleep. Aragorn’s fingers toyed with the corner of the blanket that was draped over his knee, humming softly to himself. Legolas watched the young man for a few minutes and a smile graced his handsome features.

With a questioning look, Aragorn turned to face his friend. "What?" he asked quizzically.

"Nothing. Just that watching you reminded me of my younger days. I used to like daydreaming when I was an elfling," the prince explained.

"Tell me about them, about your childhood," the ranger requested with a smile of his own.

"Well, when I was young, I was not as graceful as my father would like me to be..."

"You mean you were a clumsy elf?" Aragorn interrupted.

"I didn’t say that..."

"But you were! Admit it!"

"Do you want to listen or not..."

"Sorry..."

The two friends chatted for many hours, joking and teasing each other relentlessly. Food was brought to them during their long conversation and the day slipped pass swiftly without further incidents. The sun sank slowly beyond the horizon and soon the stars were shinning brightly in the gradually darkening sky.

*****

Elladan rode into the courtyard minutes before midnight. The elf had traveled far around the borders of Rivendell spreading words to the sentries to keep a look-out for Gandalf. His journey was long and tiring and the older twin dismounted wearily and handed his horse to a servant… two servants actually. On his way into the house, he met another two elves heading for the kitchen and another pair making their way up the stairs. Too tired to even bother asking why they were travelling in pairs, Elladan dragged his feet behind him and made his way into his room. Removing his cloak, he tossed it onto his bed before flopping down onto his stomach. He knew that he should report to his father as soon as he returned but he was just too worn out to do anything at the moment.

*Five minutes. I just need five minutes* he thought in utter exhaustion. Without realizing it, his eyes glazed over and became unfocused as he drifted off into a deep slumber.

*****

Aragorn and Legolas sat at the small table picking leisurely at the berries that had been brought to them along with their dinner. They had downed another cup of Celboril’s tea and now the two friends were quite awake even though both were dead tired.

Aragorn rubbed his eyes and yawned. He was amazed by the potency of Celboril’s drink.

"What did that elf put in that thing?" he asked as he blinked his watery eyes. It was a terrible feeling being dead tired but not being able to sleep.

Legolas shrugged beside the grumpy human as he swallowed his own misery in silence. "Maybe I should use this time to write a letter to my father explaining my late return. That would also keep us busy for a while."

Aragorn nodded enthusiastically. He needed to do something before he went out of his mind!

"We can use my father’s study. I’m sure he won’t mind." With that, the human stood stiffly and helped his friend up onto his feet and the duo staggered slowly out of Elrond’s bedchamber, making their way towards the elf lord’s study.

*****

He watched the on-goings in the house from the corridor upstairs while remaining well hidden from others. Now he finally understood why everyone was travelling in groups of two or three. They had discovered the existence of the demon and realized that it only attacked lone victims. The creature snarled furiously and retreated back into the shadows. It had thought it was fortunate when it found the lone figure asleep in his bed and took possession of his body without a second thought.

It was hungry and needed to feed but it regretted almost immediately after taking over Elladan’s body. The house was bustling with activity. No one seemed to be sleeping or even found to be alone. The creature moved smoothly against the wall. He would need to get out of this house and away from the elven realm, to find a town where no one knew of his existence. A place where he could obtain his nourishment without the risk of being discovered. Unfortunately, judging by the alertness of the entire household, there was little chance that he could slip out without being noticed especially when he was the only one moving alone. Everyone had expected him to be alone when he returned from the borders so they did not bother him but now that he was back, he should be paired up with a companion. He would be questioned.

The demon inside Elladan considered fleeing the elf’s body like it did Legolas’ but its last untimely departure had cost it much strength. If it would to do it again, it may not have enough strength to travel far and may be forced back into its prison again. No, definitely would not risk it. There must be another way to leave this house. Then he saw his chance.

*****

To Be Continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List