Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

Disclaimer and Acknowledgements: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 29 – Staying Awake

Fussing over Aragorn one last time, he said reluctantly to the two bedridden friends. "Under normal circumstances, I would ask the two of you to get some rest. But this circumstance is anything but normal. I would need you to keep each other awake and for the sake of my sanity," he added with a small sigh, "please stay in bed and keep away from trouble." Turning to Glorfindel, Elrond offered his hand and helped his friend off the chair. "If I were you, I wouldn’t want to stay around to find out what mischief these two will come up with by the end of the day." Giving his youngest and Legolas a lopsided grin, Elrond ushered the blond elf lord out of the room leaving the two friends gaping unbelievingly at his words.

"Are we that bad?" Legolas asked the still grinning human with a deadpan tone.

"We are no saints if that’s what you’re asking," Aragorn answered with a small chuckle and groaned as the action pulled at his side. Although his wounds were healing well, they still needed time to mend. The night’s sleep did help alleviate some of the pain but they still bothered him if he put too much strain in them.

Seeing the human’s reaction, Legolas tensed. "Are you alright?" he pushed himself up and studied the ranger intently, his own pain forgotten.

Aragorn dismissed him with a wave of his hand and took a deep unsteady breath, composing himself. "Legolas, lie back down before you aggravate your own injuries. I am fine."

Legolas hated to admit that the man was right but the sudden pain that shot up his chest made him sink back onto the pillows. The elf bit down hard on his lips unable to suppress the moan that left his throat.

"Legolas?!" the man asked worriedly as he watched his friend slipped back onto the pillows.

"I’m fine. Stop worrying." Legolas batted at the human’s hand lightly before Aragorn could reach over to fuss over him. "You know, it just occurred to me that we are both bedridden this time. It was always either you or me, rarely both," the elf snickered softly.

"True," Aragorn added, "and the uninjured one would take up the role of entertainer. But who’s going to entertain us now?" the human said anxiously. "It’s hard to stay awake when we are both confined to bed."

Legolas nodded solemnly beside the human. Aragorn was right. It was difficult to say awake especially when your body was screaming out for rest. He felt Aragorn shift around restlessly mumbling something about going insane with boredom and a small smile crept into his face. Knowing that he needed to keep talking to stay awake, the prince decided to tease the ranger about the remark he made on their way home.

"Didn’t you say you were going to sleep for a week?" Legolas teased good-naturedly.

The ranger’s mouth dropped open in surprise. "You heard?!"

"Of course. Nothing escapes the great elven prince," the elf joked while trying hard to keep his mind alert.

"Well..." Aragorn’s mind reeled as he searched for a reasonable excuse. "I said sleep for a week, not stay in bed beside an annoying elf for a week," he retorted playfully and Legolas snorted at his lame response.

The elf could think up of many ways to annoy the pesky human only if he could stay awake. His mind was slowly straying from the conversation and his eyes became unfocused as he drifted off gradually.

"You have to agree, you *are* rather annoying when it comes to certain things, like that time during the hunting trip..." the young man trailed off when he did not get a response from the elf. "Legolas?" the human nudged the elf gently but Legolas did not move. "Wake up sleepy head!" Aragorn whacked the dozing elf upside the head and the prince snapped awake immediately.

"I’m awake! I’m awake!" Legolas shouted and let out an annoying huff.

"I thought elves could go days without sleeping." The statement was filled with mock innocence.

The wood-elf rolled his eyes knowing that his friend was teasing him again. "Watch it human. Don’t antagonize me. I bite," the blond elf said with a serious tone but a glint of humor shone in his bright eyes.

Elrohir watched the exchange from outside the room and shook his head. His brother was young so he could understand his behavior but Legolas? That elf was a couple of millennia old and still acted like an elfling. But it was hard to blame him. When he and Elladan were with their younger brother, they felt like elflings too, doing silly things and pulling pranks that would cause much grief for their father.

"Ahem…" the older elf cleared his throat breaking the friendly banter. Balancing a tray on his hands, Elrohir sauntered into the room and set the tray onto a small table near the bed. Picking up the two cups, he headed over to the duo and pressed the drinks into their hands. "Drink," he commanded.

Aragorn sniffed at the liquid and scrunched his nose in disgust. "Smells bad. What is it?"

Sniffing at his tea, Legolas recoiled from the cup. "Drink this? Are you kidding?"

Elrohir let out an exasperated sigh. "Yes. That is Celboril’s wake-up juice. Guarantee to keep you two awake for the rest of the day." The twin sat down in an overly stuffed chair, grinning like a cheshire cat.

"Sometimes I think he’s trying to poison me," Aragorn threw a conspicuous glare at his brother and gulped down the pungent tea in one breath. Smacking his lips at the aftertaste of the bitter liquid, the human was grateful when Elrohir stuck a sour plum into his mouth.

"Mmm... dis is gooood..." the human chewed on the fruit while eyeing longingly at his brother. "Can I have some more?" he asked after swallowing the plum.

"You’ll have to wrestle Legolas for his," Elrohir laughed and handed the other plum to the young prince which Legolas accepted thankfully.

Stealing a gaze at Aragorn, the elven prince gripped his plum tightly in his fist. "Don’t even think about it or I’ll be forced to hurt you!" the elf threatened and watched as the human’s shoulder sagged in defeat. Downing his cup of bitter tea, Legolas quickly popped the plum into this mouth.

"That is the most awful tea I’ve ever had in my life!" the wood-elf complained with a scowl and the two brothers snickered at his reaction.

"I need to help father look through the books and papers to see if we can find some information regarding this demon. There are some toast, eggs and jam on the food tray in case you are hungry. Do you need anything else before I go?"

The two friends shook their heads.

"Very well then," Elrohir gave Aragorn’s shoulder a tender squeeze before rising. "If you need to go anywhere, remember to travel in pairs." With that, the older elf turned and left the room.

*****

To Be Continued...

A/N: See you on the 15th!! Be good while I'm away or else… I'll torture you with evil cliffie. LOL!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List