Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

 

Disclaimer and Acknowledgements: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 24 – The Calm Before the Storm

Halfway through the story, Elrohir came stomping into the dinning hall, plopping down into a chair next to Erestor with an audible sigh. His shoulders slumped in defeat and he muttered annoyingly under his breath.

"Is something wrong?!" Elrond almost jumped out of his seat at his son’s behavior but calmed down when Elrohir waved his hand in front of him dismissing his father’s uneasiness.

"He threw me out! I can’t believe it!" Elrohir complained loudly lifting his hands in the air in frustration. His words drew a snicker from Elladan and the younger twin glared at his older brother in mock anger. "That’s not funny! Next time you try being thrown out by a mighty elf lord." The twin sagged deeper into his chair and buried his face in his hands.

"Oh, don’t be mad. I’m sure I’ll get my chance… in like another millennium." Elladan teased his brother good-naturedly and pushed a bowl of soup in front of him. "Here, eat something. It may cool down your temper a little," he followed with a small grin. Now that they are finally home, their worry for their brother and friend was slowly easing off. With the tension gone, their mischievous behavior surfaced once again.

Elrohir peeped out from between his fingers and sat up straight suddenly, his hands leaving his face in an instant.

"Mushroom soup! My favourite!" the young elf picked up a spoon and dug into his soup enthusiastically.

Elrond shook his head with a smile and picked up the story from where he was cut off by his son’s sudden appearance, finishing his tale without further interruption. The elf lord finished his dinner while he spoke. "So we still don’t know what exactly happened to them until either of them fill in the missing pieces," Elrond concluded.

"And there’s the mysterious box," Elrohir added after draining the last bit of his soup.

"Well, I guess it will have to wait until tomorrow." Erestor signaled for Celboril to clear the table and pushed his chair back, moving to stand beside Elrond. "Get some sleep, my lord. I will take care of things around the house." The advisor turned to Elladan and Elrohir who had also risen from the table. "You too children. You look like you’re about to fall over." Erestor gave them a friendly pat on the back and pushed them towards the stairs. "Move along."

The twins stifled a yawn together and grinned at each other. There was no doubt that they were exhausted having had little rest since they left the house several days ago. The twins bid their father good night in unison and scampered upstairs into their rooms.

Elrond stood and stretched, working out the stiffness in his body. Erestor was right. He did need to sleep but not before he checked on his son and the prince. The elf lord thanked his advisor and proceeded up the stairs, running into the two healers and Glorfindel when he reached the top. The healers greeted Elrond respectfully and the elf lord gave them a curt nod. "How are they?" Elrond directed the question at no one in particular.

"Estel is fine," it was Dûrsereg that spoke first. "I have stitched his wounds and cleaned them up. They were deep but did not cause too much internal damage. It will heal in time." The healer halted momentarily and continued. "He was still feverish and in much pain so I made him some sleeping draught which he took without protest. The tea should keep him asleep for twelve to fifteen hours."

Elrond nodded and before he could ask, Nilram continued quickly knowing his lord’s concern for the elven prince. "Prince Legolas’ injuries were a little more complicated but I had managed to stabilized him and he seemed to be responding well to treatment. I have removed his sling so that he can rest more comfortably but I strongly suggest that he stay in bed for the next few days."

"Did you have him drugged too?" the dark haired elf lord asked incredulously.

"No, he drifted into unconsciousness while we were treating his injuries," Glorfindel explained to his friend.

"I wish to see them."

"The only thing that you are going to see right now is your bed." Glorfindel dismissed the healers and grabbed Elrond by his elbow, dragging him into his bedchamber. "The two young ones are fine and resting comfortably. So should you," the blond elf admonished lightly. "I will watch over them tonight." He deposited the dark haired elf lord onto his bed and pushed him onto the soft pillows. Then he turned and blew out the candle. "Sleep well my friend," he whispered but Elrond had already fallen into elven dreams.

*****

He strolled leisurely into the garden, breathing in the sweet scent of the morning air. The sun shone merrily in the sky and a soft breeze brushed pass his face ruffling his hair. Elrond sat down on the stone bench beside the garden pond, a small smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. The few hours of sleep had refreshed him somewhat although he would need more rest to regain back the strength that he had used up for the healings. But he had all the time in the world to rest.

Elrond had woken up early to check on his youngest son and the Mirkwood prince. They were both still asleep when he visited their rooms. Satisfied that they were indeed on the road to recovery, the elf lord wandered out into the garden, relaxing in the warm morning sun. Closing his eyes, Elrond drew strength from the orange globe in the sky but the serenity of the morning was shattered when Celboril came shouting for him.

The breathless servant braked to a stop in front of the elf lord and pointed behind him. No words left his parted lips for he was still panting heavily trying to catch his breath.

"Calm down Celboril," Elrond soothed the distressed elf with some urgency. "What’s the matter?"

"L-Lord Glorfin... Glorfindel... upstairs..." Celboril stumbled around his words and kicked himself mentally for not able to convey his message properly. "Come!" he pulled Elrond by his arm and yanked the elf lord to his feet, dragging a very confused Elrond towards the house and up the stairs straight into Legolas’ room.

*****

To Be Continued...





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List