Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

Disclaimer and Acknowledgement: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 12 – Dreams and Premonitions

Elrond stared out blankly from the window in his study. The disturbing dreams that he had been having for the past few nights still haunted him. It had started out rather hazy, everything was dark and unfocused but he had seen his son and the elf prince stumble around as if in search of something. What worried him was that both of them were limping and seemed to be in much pain. As the days passed, the recurring dream became clearer. He saw blood on Legolas’ face, sensed his son’s distress and also felt the pain that they had to endure with every step. Each time he jolted awake, he felt like he was suffocating, as if a large rock had been placed over his chest.

The elf lord sighed and retreated back to his desk but did not sit down. He tried to push the dreams aside putting it off as a result of his overprotective nature of Aragorn and Legolas. The elf had befriended his human son since Aragorn was still a child and the two of them had become close friends quickly. Now, both of them were almost inseparable, sharing most of their adventures, mischiefs and troubles with each other. They had grown so close that Legolas had become akin to a brother to Aragorn. His twin sons, Elladan and Elrohir had also accepted Legolas into the family, not to mention he himself. Elrond had long treated the elf prince as part of the family, caring and worrying over him like he did his other children.

Sounds of soft footfalls outside the room brought him out of his reverie. Turning towards the door, he was greeted by Elladan and Elrohir. The twins looked troubled, their frowns reflected his worries.

"Ada, it’s five in the morning. Why are you up so early?" Elladan asked while trying to suppress a yawn.

"I could not sleep," Elrond replied evasively. The truth was he had another dream, which was becoming more like a vision since the content of the dream seemed to be the same each time. He had not told the twins about those disturbing dreams for he didn’t want them to worry unnecessarily.

"Something troubles you," Elrohir reached out and touched his father’s arm. "What is it?"

"Please let us share your burden," Elladan continued after his brother.

Contemplating whether he should tell them of his dreams, Elrond paced the floor of the study while the twins waited patiently. Finally, he stopped by the large window and let out a frustrated sigh. Elladan and Elrohir joined him at the window, flanking him on each side.

"I have been having some strange dreams," Elrond decided that he could no longer hide it from them. "It had started a few days after Estel and Legolas left Imladris," the older elf continued.

"I think you just worry about them too much," the younger twin tried to persuade his father and himself that it was nothing serious.

"I wish to think so too but I have been having the same dream every night," the elf lord said as he braced his hands on the windowsill.

"Tell us about it, Ada." Elrohir prompted.

Elrond looked out of the window and recalled back the disturbing images. The twins listened intently as their father recounted the details in the dreams and their worry intensified.

"Do you suppose they are in some kind of trouble?" Elladan asked, his brows knotted tightly together.

Elrond shrugged. "I hope not. Maybe it is just my overactive imagination." But the trio knew very well never to dismiss any visions or instincts from their kind.

"We will set out for them after breakfast," the older twin said, "and see what kind of troubles they have gotten themselves into this time," he added with a forced smile in attempt to lighten the tense situation.

Elrohir nodded beside their father. "They were heading north when they set out. We will try to track down their whereabouts."

Elrond smiled at his sons. They were as protective over their younger brother as he was. Wrapping an arm around the shoulders of each twin, the elf lord led them away from the window. "Come, my sons, we will have an early breakfast today. That will give you some time to pack before..."

A stabbing pain flared through his body without warning and the elf lord keeled over, dropping to his knees and pulling his twin sons to the floor with him. The twins let out a yelp of surprise as they tumbled to the ground alongside their father, landing in a heap. Elrond gasped and pressed his hands on his side as the fiery pain radiated to the rest of his body. A loud ringing exploded in his ears and the world in front of his eyes dimmed. Squeezing his eyes shut, Elrond clutched tightly at his side. Images flashed across his eyes. He saw Aragorn kneeling on the ground, his hands tied behind his back. In another flash, he saw blood flowing down the human’s side, soaking through his tunic and his pants. A dark red puddle forming rapidly around his knees.

"Father?!" the twins cried out in unison, not knowing what had happened.

"No... Estel..." Elrond spoke weakly as tears streamed down his face. "He’s dying…"

*****

To Be Continued...

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List