Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

By The Hands of Another  by Estelle

Disclaimer and Acknowledgement: As in Chapter 1

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chapter 11 – Guilty until Proven Innocent

The loud commotion outside brought Legolas out of his peaceful slumber but before he could make out what was happening, a group of four men barged into the hut and yanked him roughly to his feet. Legolas cried out as one of the men twisted his right arm and pinned it behind his back, the movement jarring his ribs and pulled at the stitches in his chest.

"Where are you taking me?" the elf ground out through clenched teeth. "Where is my friend?" he asked after realizing that Aragorn was not with him. "What is going on?!"

"Shut up!!" the taller of the four men bellowed at the helpless being. Turning to the man restraining Legolas, he tilted his head and motioned him towards the exit. "Take him to the other."

*****

Aragorn was held in the middle of a square rocky platform, his hands tied to a pole behind his back. The rough rope dug painfully into his wrist as he struggles against the bond while demanding to know why he was being held captive.

"Why are you holding me?!" Aragorn pulled at the rope vigorously.

"Don’t pretend, murderer!" the man who had kicked him spat out. "We showed you mercy and this is how you repay us?! By murdering my father?!" he shouted into Aragorn’s face.

"I did not murder anyone!" the ranger defended himself although he was not completely sure what had happened and why he had woken up in the field.

"Tell him Xerrax. Tell him what you saw."

"I was on night duty yesterday," Xerrax recounted what had happened, "and saw him leave the Chief’s hut a few hours before dawn. I didn’t think much of it at that time because the Chief usually woke up early. I thought perhaps he had summoned Strider for some reason but when I went to see the Chief in the morning, he was dead!" The man told the villagers who had started to gather around the Square. "It was him!!" Xerrax pointed at Aragorn. "He killed the Chief! All because he wouldn’t let them take refuge in our village!"

A loud murmur broke out from the crowd as the villagers started whispering to one another. The whispering increased in intensity as they saw the Chief’s second son, Zescaat, walk towards the Square with the blond elf in tow. The man who had restrained Legolas shoved him forcefully towards Aragorn. The elf stumbled to a stop beside his friend and before he could regain his footing, Zescaat kicked him behind the knees, sending the elf tumbling to the ground. A small cry broke from his lips as pain shot through his chest.

"Sound the horn," Zescaat commanded one of the guards, " and summon the villagers. The murderer and his accomplice will be executed!"

Legolas’ eyes went wild. "What murderer?!" he choked out the question not believing what he had heard, looking from the guards to Aragorn.

"Stop pretending, elf!" Zescaat kicked him several times in the chest and abdomen.

The elf curled up in pain. A violent cough wreaked his body, bright red blood staining his lips.

"Don’t hurt him!" Aragorn yelled in panic. "He has nothing to do with this!"

"So you are finally admitting that you did it." Tirnim, the Chief’s older son, stated coldly.

"No! I didn’t kill anyone!" the ranger shouted but he knew that no one would believe him.

"Who is going to believe you?" Tirnim echoed the human’s thoughts.

"I do," a small voice rang out from inside the crowd. It was Varil. The small boy pushed his way through the sea of people and stood firmly in front of Tirnim.

"As do we." Following closely behind Varil were his parents and sister.

"You are fools to believe an outsider!" Zescaat roared at the family and they shrank back a little.

Aragorn desperately hoped that Deyron and Dergth would come to his defence but they were no where in sight. Looking down at Legolas, he saw the elf curled up on the ground, his right hand clutched tightly at his chest. A small groan accompanied each breath he took. Zescaat took his position beside his brother as all the villagers gathered around the Square. Tirnim raised his hand silencing the large crowd before he spoke.

"This man," he pointed at Aragorn, "was found guilty of murdering my father! As we all know, the penalty for murder is death!" he shouted out in anger. "By the family of the victim in any way they wished!" With that, he removed a hidden dagger from his boot. He turned and walked towards Aragorn stopping a few inches away and whispered into his ears.

"This is for my father."

The man plunged the dagger into Aragorn’s side and twisted it inside the soft flesh. Aragorn screamed as the sharp blade ate into his body, the excruciating pain tearing him from the inside out. Tirnim laughed menacingly as he wrenched the dagger out, sending another wave of pure agony through the ranger’s body. Aragorn shuddered violently and dropped to his knees. Blood poured out of the wound at an alarming rate flowing down his side and pooling around his knees.

"NO!!" the elf screamed in spite of the pain he was in but was promptly silenced by another kick to his chest. Legolas heard a sickening crack as pain exploded in his chest and the elf cried out involuntarily, tears of pain streamed down his pale face. The world tilted dangerously around him and for a moment he thought that he would pass out for he could not seem to breathe. After the longest moment, the elf inhaled sharply. Cool air filled his damaged lungs but to him it felt like fire coursing through his chest.

*****

To Be Continued...

Hmm... small cliffie... :)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List