Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Spectrums  by Eärillë

Genres: Adventure, Friendship

Rating: G

Notes: I do not know when Thranduil was born, but I guess some time before the rising of the Sun and Moon. In this piece, he is just above his majority.

Credit: The Mauri tribe in New Zealand. Pardon my using your tradition here and claiming it originating not from you, please! It is only for the sake of enjoyment, no more and no less.

Summary: Bungy-jumping has occurred since a very, very, very long time ago, apparently, and for the same purpose as in the semi-modern use of it. But how if the hapless warrior-to-be is afraid of heights?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You wanted to be a warrior. You have to go through this, then. Or would you rather back down?”

“—No.”

“Cousin… Do you not trust the tree?”

“But—“

“You never shirked from any adventure before.”

Thranduil looked down. Meekly he confessed, “I fear heights…”

“Oh,” Celeborn murmured, understanding.

“But it is tradition, cousin. You cannot serve Uncle Elu and Aunt Melian as a warrior if you cannot pass this,” Galathil coaxed. “See? They are waiting for you to pass this, and they are so eager to have you.” He motioned to the ranks of warriors waiting by the big tree growing on the precipice of a green ravine. The royal family stood on the very front, and presently they were watching the three with mounting concern.

Thranduil held up his hands and looked imploringly at his cousins, hoping for a solution.

But they did not have it, and giving up with fatalistic resignation, he marched with them to the aforementioned tree. Galathil and Celeborn prepared the ropes while Thranduil hunkered down on a lower branch, trembling.

Galathil bade him to climb up to the platform on the crown of the tree when the ropes were ready. Celeborn followed him and fascened one end of the rope system to his ankles before he could change his mind. Then they climbed back down to their posts, leaving Thranduil on the platform.

The royal family climbed the tree through the ladder provided for them. The Queen blessed Thranduil by putting a hand on his head. Elu recited a short speech of valour and harmony with nature, two traits valued in Sindarin warriors. And the Heiress shoved Thranduil over the platform, rather energetically.

Thranduil shrieked while he plummeted down, but no one laughed. He got a lengthy explotion of warm applause instead.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List