Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Darkness Bound  by Fiondil

28: The Week Before the Wedding

The week before the wedding saw much activity in Vanyamar. Ñolofinwë and Arafinwë with their families arrived and even Olwë and his family came with a suitable escort of Telerin nobles. The arrival of the Teleri had all of Vanyamar agog. None of the younger Vanyar remembered ever seeing any of the Third Clan before but their elders greeted old friends from the time of the Great Migration.

Ingwë and Elindis stood at the front portico of the palace along with their children, Intarion, Lirulin and Findaráto to welcome their Noldorin and Telerin guests. Ingoldo and Tinwetariel asked to be excused from the welcoming party and Ingwë was happy to give his permission. As the Noldorin and Telerin royal families reached the palace, Ingwë stepped forward to formally greet Olwë and Ñolofinwë and their wives. Then, he and his family escorted them into the palace.

"So, who’s running your kingdoms while you are all here?" Ingwë asked with a laugh, for nearly all the members of the two royal families were there.

Olwë laughed. "Never fear. I’ve left Alqualondë in the capable hands of my steward, Eällindo. He’ll make sure it’s still there when we return."

They all laughed. Ingwë turned to Ñolofinwë. "Nerdanel would not come?"

The second son of Finwë shook his head. "We all pleaded with her to come but in the end she agreed to look after things while we are away. I think she will eventually return to her atar’s home while her husband and children are in Formenos."

Ingwë nodded, then turned to his sister, Indis. "I am glad you chose to come, nésanya."

"I almost didn’t, hanno," she said, "but how could I refuse to attend the wedding of my beloved nephew?" She gave Intarion, who blushed, a fond smile. Then she asked, "Yet, where are Ingoldo and Tinwetariel? Should they not have been here to greet us?"

Ingwë grimaced. "It’s a long story and I will explain later, but for now, let us just enjoy each other’s company. I have prepared a welcoming feast for you."

There were groans all around, for none of them were in the mood for such after traveling. Ingwë laughed. "Oh, don’t worry, this feast you will enjoy. Come. Let our servants escort you to your apartments so you may unpack and freshen up and then they will bring you to where the feast is to be held."

"And there’s no need to dress formally," Elindis added with a smile. "Save that for the wedding."

The others were naturally intrigued by this, for all such feasts were formal and formal garb was expected. Ingwë refused to explain when Olwë asked why no formal attire was required. "You’ll see," was all he said and they had to be content with that.

****

The reason why informal attire had been insisted on became clear when they were escorted, not to the feasting hall or even to the private dining room, but out into the gardens where, amidst splashing fountains, a large pavilion had been set up under which tables were placed. There were five tables forming a ‘U’. The middle table had settings for seventeen while the tables to the right as one entered the pavilion seated eighteen. Placecards were set before each setting inscribed with people’s names. Thus, at the middle table sat all the older Elves: Ingwë and Elindis, Indis, Olwë and Lirillë, Ñolofinwë and Anairë, Arafinwë and Eärwen, Findis and Valandur, Finwaina, Faniel and Salmar, as well as Lindarion and his two other younger siblings, Falmaron and Olwen. The tables to the left were laden with dishes, forming a buffet. Servants stood about to make sure that goblets were filled or to fetch whatever might be required, but Ingwë made it clear that everyone was to help themselves.

"You see, I told you you would like this particular welcoming feast," he said with a smirk and there was appreciative laughter among the guests. They formed two lines at the buffet and soon everyone was sitting down with their trenchers. A group of minstrels came and set themselves up just outside the pavilion, playing softly while the royals ate and visited with one another. At what was nominally considered the head table, Ingwë was explaining to Indis the absence of their brother and sister-in-law.

"They never approved of Lirulin or her family," Ingwë said with a sigh. "I made it very clear to both of them, though, that they will cooperate with the wedding in all its particulars. They have both been under house arrest in a sense, for I have forbidden them to leave the palace grounds unless I give them express permission to do so."

"Seems rather silly them acting that way," Olwë commented, "but then, Ingoldo has always been trouble. I remember during the March that he was always complaining. I often wondered why he even bothered to leave Cuiviénen."

Indis gave an unladylike snort. "I doubt any of the Avari would have put up with him." There were chuckles all around. Then Indis turned to her brother. "I have held aloof from all that is happening in Tirion among the Noldor since Finwë left, but even in my self-imposed reclusiveness it is impossible to ignore the unrest that plagues the people of Tirion. Ñolofinwë and Arafinwë are doing what they can to keep tempers calm, but I fear it is a losing battle."

"We have seen evidence of unrest among the Vanyar as well," Ingwë said, "particularly those who long have had dealings with the Noldor." He turned to Arafinwë and Eärwen. "Your son, I am afraid, became a victim of that unrest."

"What happened?" Arafinwë asked, casting a worried glance towards where Findaráto was seated, laughing at something his sister was telling him.

"There was trouble in the market some weeks ago," Ingwë explained. "Findaráto and my sons tried to intervene. Ingalaurë got a black eye for his trouble, but Findaráto suffered broken ribs."

There were gasps of dismay from everyone. "Why were we not informed?" Eärwen demanded.

"There was no point," Elindis said smoothly. "You were coming anyway and he’s fully recovered."

"Those responsible have been duly punished," Ingwë added. "The matter is closed as far as I and your son are concerned."

"The Vanyar are the beloved of Lord Manwë," Olwë said. "They, more than the rest of us, have the greatest contact with the Valar. I find it hard to believe that they are allowing what has happened among the Noldor to affect them this way."

Ingwë shrugged. "Since Indis married Finwë there has been greater interaction between our two clans and much intermarriage. I fear that that has fueled the unrest among us, for loyalties to clan and families are being tested and stretched to their limits."

"What do you plan to do to alleviate the unrest?" Arafinwë asked. "Ari and I are doing what we can among the Noldor, but as Ammë said, it seems as if we put one fire out only to have two others start up elsewhere."

"We are doing what we can," Valandur answered. "My people are keeping watch on all that happens here in Vanyamar as well as in Eldamas. Perhaps we should pool our resources."

"That might help," Ñolofinwë said and then Elindis changed the subject to the upcoming wedding and soon the various couples were comparing their own weddings with one another and there was much laughter between them.

At the other table, the topic of conversation was centered not so much around the upcoming nuptials as it was around possible future weddings among them. Besides the twins, Indil, Intarion and Findaráto, Tamurilon, Lirulin and Amarië were there, along with Angaráto and his wife, Eldalótë and their son, Artaher, who was still an elfling, as well as Turucáno and his wife Elenwë, Írissë, Aicanáro, Artanis, Aracáno and Findecáno.

"I am very glad to see you and Amarië together," Findecáno said. "I always thought you two would make a good match. Have you thought about announcing your betrothal or haven’t you gotten that far in your relationship yet?"

Everyone laughed, including Findaráto and Amarië, though the ellon looked somewhat embarrassed. "No. We haven’t discussed it yet," he muttered and there were knowing smirks all around.

"Amarië is rather annoyed at Findaráto at the moment," Intarion said with a smile.

They all looked at Amarië who nodded. "And why are you annoyed with our cousin?" Turucáno asked.

"And our brother," Artanis couldn’t help adding with a supercilious sniff. The Noldor all had indulgent smiles, for they knew how close the first-born and the last-born of Arafinwë and Eärwen were.

Amarië glowered at Findaráto who was finding his salad very interesting at that moment. "He nearly got himself killed not too long ago," she said.

"I did not!" Findaráto said a bit loudly and there were concerned stares from the other table. His brothers, sister and cousins all gave him surprised looks. "She’s exaggerating," he said, lowering his voice. "I suffered some broken ribs is all."

"Broken ribs?" Artanis exclaimed in a loud whisper. "How did you manage to do that?"

Findaráto sighed. "It’s a long story and this is too fine a repast to spoil it with a tale of my woes. Suffice to say that I am well and fully healed. The healers released me from their care a week ago."

"Fine," Artanis said with a sniff. "We’ll drop the subject for now, but don’t think you’re getting away with not telling us what happened." The others all nodded.

"I won’t," Findaráto promised. "As it is, I’m sure Atto and Uncle Ari will want to discuss what happened. Best to do it all at once."

With that they turned back to the original topic of conversation. Elenwë asked Indil if she and Tamurilon had come to an agreement yet.

Indil nodded. "Yes, but we’ve decided to wait to make the announcement until after Intarion and Lirulin have wed," she answered. "We didn’t want to detract from their special day."

"We tried to convince them to make it a double wedding," Lirulin put in, "but two royal weddings at once would have been quite a strain on the treasury, or so Indil claimed."

"It would certainly have put a strain on the cooks and the seamstresses and the florists and everyone else but the brides and grooms," Indil said with a laugh. "All we would have to do is show up."

There was laughter all around. They then went on to discuss the small doings of friends and acquaintances from both kingdoms. Once everyone was finished eating, the tables were cleared and pushed to the walls of the pavilion. The musicians began to play more spritely tunes and they danced and sang well past the time when Telperion came to full bloom. Thus the welcoming feast ended on a high note.

****

The Valanya before the wedding, all the royals made their way to Ilmarin to pay their respects to the Valar. Manwë and Varda welcomed them warmly. "It is a rare thing to have all three clans together on such a joyous occasion as this," Manwë said.

"Especially given the recent troubles," Varda added, then gave Ñolofinwë a concerned look. "How are you faring, child?" she asked solicitously.

Ñolofinwë blushed slightly. "I am doing as well as I can, lady," he answered. "Uncle Ingwë and Aunt Elindis were a great help to me, to us, and Arafinwë has been my right arm in all things. I thank thee for thy concern." He gave Manwë and Varda a deep bow.

"It is a concern that we all share," Aulë said. "I am especially grieved for the unrest among your people. The Noldor have always had a special place in my heart and it pains me to see you all in confusion."

"We are doing what we can to heal the breach among us," Arafinwë said, "but it’s only been a short time since Atar and our brother left. Emotions are still raw and running high. We are hoping that time will heal what soft words cannot."

"That is our hope as well," Manwë said. "But come. Enough talk of dark matters. This is a time of great joy and I only regret that Finwë has chosen not to attend the wedding. I sent word by way of Eönwë that if he wished to, he could leave Formenos for that purpose, but he said he would not leave Formenos until the twelve years were over unless specifically ordered to do so by me." The Elder King sighed. "Naturally, there is no point ordering him to attend a wedding, and so I have not insisted that he come."

"Perhaps it is just as well, lord," Ñolofinwë said. "I fear Atar’s presence might only inflame emotions amongst us." He cast a surreptitious glance at his amillë who deigned not to respond.

"No doubt," Manwë averred, well aware of what Ñolofinwë had meant. Then he turned his attention to Findaráto. "I am glad to see you fully healed, my son," he said. "We were much grieved to learn of the manner in which you were injured."

"The healers declared me fully healed a week or so ago, lord," Findaráto said with a bow. "I did not accompany Uncle Ingwë and the others to Ilmarin last week because Amarië’s parents had invited me to spend the day with them. We went to Golden Rainbow Falls for a picnic," he added, naming a popular spot in the Pelóri range where the Vanyar were wont to wander and picnic.

"Ah... a lovely spot," Varda said with a smile. "We hope that you and they had a pleasant time, then?"

Findaráto shrugged. "Lord Castamir spent most of the time studying a collection of poems by someone named Elemmírë." The Valar nodded, well familiar with the Vanyarin poet. Findaráto grinned. "He was comparing her works to Macalaurë’s."

"Oh?" Aulë said. "And what was his verdict?"

"He’s not too impressed with my cousin’s works," Findaráto replied, "but I think he’s just biased."

There were knowing grins from everyone. "And what about Lady Almáriel?" Yavanna asked.

"Oh, she spent the better part of the day going on about the wedding and dropping large hints that she would not be displeased if Amarië and I pledged our troth sooner rather than later." He gave a rueful sigh and there were many sympathetic looks on the faces of the Valar. "Amarië and I managed to escape by spending some time wandering closer to the falls." His grin became rather sly. "Lady Almáriel is not fond of shouting, so she did not accompany us."

There were many smiles, not just from the Valar but from the other Elves. "Speaking of the wedding," Ingwë then said, "will the Valar grace us with their presence?"

Manwë shook his head. "We will not be there," he replied, "but We have already sent word to Ingoldo and Tinwetariel that they should attend Us on Eärenya. We would speak with them before the wedding."

Ingwë was not the only Elf to raise an eyebrow at the Elder King’s use of the royal ‘We’. "It is odd that Intarion has not mentioned this."

"That is because the... um... invitation was to the parents alone," Manwë explained and everyone there understood that by ‘invitation’ the Elder King meant ‘command’. "If you would, though, you may tell Intarion and Lirulin that if they come to Ilmarin around the time of the Second Mingling on Eärenya we would be pleased to welcome them and give them our blessing."

Ingwë bowed. "It would be my pleasure to be thy herald, lord," he said. "Are they to come alone or should they have an escort?"

"Lirulin’s parents and brother should accompany them," Manwë replied, "and one of my People will meet them outside the north gate of the city."

Shortly thereafter, once the Valar had extended their blessing upon them, the Elves departed. As they were walking back down the mountain, Olwë commented to Ingwë, "I wonder how Ingoldo took the Elder King’s...uh... invitation?" He gave his fellow ruler a sly look.

Ingwë shrugged. "I have noticed that both he and Tinwetariel were more subdued than usual these last few days."

"Do you think Lord Manwë will be able to talk some sense into them?" Elindis enquired. "It would be nice if they just behaved themselves and that nothing untoward happens to ruin the day for Intarion and Lirulin."

"You mean, you hope Lord Manwë puts the fear of the Valar into them," Ingwë said, giving his wife a teasing smile. The others laughed.

"Well, one can only hope," Ingwion said fervently and to that the others could only agree.

****

Ingoldo and Tinwetariel were not pleased by the invitation, knowing it was indeed a summons, but neither one dared to protest. The Maia who had appeared to them had been rather abrupt, refusing to name himself, though from the sky-blue tabard with the eagle embroidered upon it, it was clear from whom he had come. His message was short and to the point and then he was gone, leaving Ingoldo standing there in a cold sweat while Tinwetariel looked about to faint.

Now it was Eärenya, the day before the wedding, and, as commanded, the two made their way towards Ilmarin. They were rather nonplused to find not one but two Maiar waiting to escort them once they passed the city gate. Neither Maia bothered to greet them or give their names. They simply began walking up the mountain, one leading, the other trailing behind the two Elves. They walked in silence and neither Ingoldo nor Tinwetariel looked well as they neared Ilmarin.

Once there, they found themselves facing Eönwë, who silently dismissed his fellow Maiar and led the two Elves to their audience with the Elder King. When they were announced, Ingoldo was glad to see that they would not be facing all of the Valar, but felt something twist inside of him when he saw that, beside the Elder King and Lady Varda, the Lord of Mandos was also there. Tinwetariel simply turned white and Ingoldo had to take her arm. "Don’t even think of fainting," he hissed to her, suddenly angry, and nearly dragged his wife along with him. They made their obeisance, though somewhat reluctantly under the cool stares of the three Valar.

Silence stretched uncomfortably between the two parties as the Valar continued to gaze dispassionately upon the two Vanyar. Ingoldo steeled himself not to twitch, but Tinwetariel could not keep her hands still and kept twisting them into the folds of her gown. Finally, though, Manwë nodded and spoke.

"I decided it was time you and I spoke, Ingoldo," he said mildly. "We have been watching the events unfolding in Vanyamar and are not happy with what we see."

"Are you accusing me...."

"We accuse no one," Námo interjected, his voice cold and forbidding. Both Elves shivered involuntarily. "We are, however, concerned that your son’s wedding is not ruined by, shall we say, any misfortune." Both Elves scowled.

"We expected those two children to have been wed long before this," Varda said.

"And why should that be a concern of the Valar?" Tinwetariel demanded, though her expression was one of doubt rather than belligerence.

"We have our reasons," Námo declared coldly, staring at them with his amaranthine eyes which looked beyond the present moment.

"Suffice to say that Intarion and Lirulin have our blessing to wed," Manwë said.

"I was unaware that we needed your permission to wed," Ingoldo retorted with a frown.

"Permission?" Manwë replied, raising an eyebrow. "No, you do not need our permission, but this union has long been awaited and not just by the Valar. Your refusal to accept Lirulin as your son’s beloved has puzzled us and others. She is a fine elleth."

"Her atar is a wine merchant!" Ingoldo nearly shouted, forgetting to whom he was speaking. "My son is of the royal line and...."

"Ah.... let us speak of that, then," Manwë said, interrupting Ingoldo’s tirade. "You have never forgiven our brother Oromë for passing you over for the ambassadorship to the Valar, have you?"

Ingoldo went red and refused to look at any of them. It was Tinwetariel who answered. "Ingoldo is no less worthy to be king than Ingwë."

"Perhaps," Manwë replied. "The fact remains, though, that Oromë saw some quality in your brother which he did not see in you, Ingoldo, a quality that is important in any ruler."

"And what quality would that be?" Ingoldo asked with a scowl.

"Compassion," Námo answered and both Elves stared at him in disbelief, not expecting such an answer and certainly not from this particular Vala.

"My brother is soft," Ingoldo retorted with disgust.

"Your brother is wise," Manwë corrected him. "A ruler without compassion is a tyrant."

There followed an uneasy silence. Ingoldo was not completely convinced by Manwë’s arguments. He should have been chosen as the ambassador for the Vanyar. He was no less worthy of the power that Ingwë enjoyed, power that he rarely used to good effect. If he had become king over the Vanyar....

"Tell me, Ingoldo," Manwë said suddenly, interrupting his train of thought. "Who would you rather have as the Elder King, me or my brother, Melkor?"

Ingoldo blanched at the coldness of the Vala’s expression and he could only stand there and stare at him, unable to formulate any coherent reply. Manwë merely nodded. "Something to think on, I deem. At any rate, we summoned you and Tinwetariel here to tell you that we do not want to hear reports of any... um... upsets at the wedding."

"You will not be there?" Tinwetariel asked.

"No," Varda answered, "though that is not to say we will not be unaware of what transpires." She gave them both a meaningful look and neither Elf could maintain eye contact with her or the other two Valar for long.

"So, any plans you might have had to ruin the day for Intarion and Lirulin, I trust will be forgotten," Manwë said mildly.

"We had no intention...." Tinwetariel started to protest.

"Good," Manwë said firmly. "Then we understand each other, do we not? Go now. Eönwë will see you out."

"Enjoy the wedding," Námo said with a faint smile as Ingoldo and Tinwetariel gave the Valar their obeisance. Both Elves looked askance at him.

"Oh, and Ingoldo," Manwë said mildly, almost as an afterthought, "if you plan to do any hunting in the future, might I suggest you don’t go north. There is nothing north for you to hunt."

Ingoldo bit his lips, startled at hearing his own words which he had spoken to Ingwë being thrown back at him. He nodded, then turned to follow the Maia out, ignoring Tinwetariel’s whispered demands to know what Lord Manwë had meant.

****

"Well, I don’t know if that did any good," Námo said once the Elves were gone, "but it was fun seeing them squirm like that."

"You have an odd idea of what constitutes fun," Manwë said with a faint smile. Námo just shrugged.

"Do you think Ingoldo got the message, though?" Varda asked, "And I don’t mean about the wedding."

"Hopefully," Manwë replied with a sigh. "Only time will tell."

"Well, Intarion and Lirulin and her family will be here soon enough," Námo said. "At least their audience will be more pleasant than this one."

"True enough," Manwë said. "Have you and Vairë decided on a gift for the happy couple yet?"

"I think Vairë is planning on giving them one of her tapestries," Námo said with a shrug. "I’m leaving the decision to her. She says she can’t trust my judgment about such things anyway." The other two snorted with amusement. "What are you giving them?"

"Ah... you’ll just have to wait and see," Manwë said with a sly smile.

"Fine. Keep your secrets," Námo retorted with a sniff. "I have plenty of my own."

"No doubt," Manwë averred, "but they’re not as interesting as mine." And then the Elder King of all of Arda stuck out his tongue at Námo and made a rude noise.

Námo’s only reaction to that unexpected behavior from Atar’s vice-gerent was a raised eyebrow while Varda sat there laughing.

****

Note: Elemmírë of the Vanyar will someday compose the Aldudénië ‘Lament for the Two Trees’, known to all the Eldar [Silmarillion, Chapter 8, ‘Of the Darkening of Valinor’].





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List