Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Eclectic Whimsies  by Ellie

Pearls for a Battle Ax

Summary: Even the most vigilant sometimes fail.

Written for the JulieFiannaArchive January writing prompt where we had to use the following sentence in a story: “Under the cloak of darkness and heavy fallen snow, Haldir and his brothers left no sign of their wake as they crossed the dale and disappeared into the dense forest far beyond their home.”

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Rating: PG

Disclaimer: playing in Tolkien’s sandbox and making no money from it.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If only they had been more vigilant…

If only they had paid more attention to their surroundings…

If only they had sensed the menacing danger in time…

If only they had not been deep in a cask of Dorwinion…

They would not face this dire situation now. 

By the Valar! They were warriors after all! The subject of battle axes was bound to come up in conversation sooner or later and the comparison was really only intended to be a figure of speech.  If only the Lady of the Golden Wood hadn’t chosen that particular moment to enter the hall…

Under the cloak of darkness and heavy fallen snow, Haldir and his brothers left no sign of their wake as they crossed the dale and disappeared into the dense
forest far beyond their home. It was many many leagues to Cirdan and the markets at the Grey Havens. This time their folly would cost them several strands of pearls…

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

A note for those who don't get it: In addition to being a weapon, a battle ax is also defined (according to Merriam Webster) as being a woman who is "sharp-tongued, domineering, or combative".  And darn if that description doesn't fit Galadriel at times!





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List