Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Let me be the one  by LOTRFaith

Of silent fears and hope renewed

Thranduil raised one eyebrow at his youngest, grinning son.

"Sure..." He said letting a smile grace his normally stern features.

Shock lit up Legolas' face.

"When you become of age." Thranduil finished. Legolas giggled.

Elrond smiled at the scene. He found that Thranduil had changed in many ways since they had last sat together. He was far calmer and at ease then Elrond had known him to be. Though the silent pain that always lurked behind Thranduil's eyes was apparent, it was also apparent that his children came first and foremost. The love for his children shown in his manner and his eyes.

Elrond sat back in his chair watching the easy banter between the king and his children. One's eyes could tell amazing stories. And Thranduil's were no different. They told of pain, hurt, anguish, love, despair, forgotten hope, silent fears, they told of many things, but what Elrond saw above all else was his love for his children. And that, for all Elrond cared was all that mattered. He stood, drawing everyone's attention, "Thranduil, if you would, I would like to talk to you in private about Legolas. Your children will be well taken care of. Room has been prepared for each of them."

Thranduil also stood and nodded. "It has been a long and tiring journey." He glanced at his children. They all stood on one motion, bowed and filed out of the room, Loriel taking Legolas in her arms, pressed her forehead against his in her own way of greeting, making him giggle.

Thranduil watched them leave then turned to Elrond, who gestured to another door. Thranduil turned and walked to the door, pausing only to let Elrond open it and walked through to Elrond's study. Books covered everything.

As Elrond began to quickly move several books around, Thranduil glanced around. If Legolas would ever find this place, Thranduil smiled to himself, Legolas would never be in Greenwood.

Elrond waited for Thranduil to sit down then sat down himself, thinking on how to word his words carefully and correctly.

"I noticed that Legolas is a bit different from normal elflings." He began. "I asked Lomion and he told me the circumstances of Legolas' birth." He paused clasping his hands together. "Though I am unfamiliar with his type of condition, I would be willing to try and heal Legolas." He glanced at Thranduil, gauging his response. "If you would allow it of course."

Thranduil felt as if someone hit him in the chest knocking all the air out of his lungs. Oh if Legolas could actually live as an elfling should. If he could actually run without gasping desperately for air, if he could actually be allowed to climb trees, if he actually leave the palace without someone watching over him like a hawk. If he could actually sleep a complete night without waking up gasping for breathe. He suddenly noticed Elrond looking at him waiting for an answer.

He cleared his throat. "You would do that even though our realms have been.."

He stopped at Elrond's raised hand.

"Let the past stay in the past, Thranduil." Elrond pleaded. "Let us move forward without looking back."

Thranduil smiled, albeit weakly. He nodded "I would be honored if you would heal Legolas." He said quietly, holding back on his emotions.

Elrond smiled. "I will look at him in the morning."

*~*~*~*

As was usual Legolas woke with the sun and made his way into where his father was staying. He had slept with Loriel, that night, cuddled up against her as she sang him his song. Nana had always sung him his song whenever he cried.

"Come stop your crying it will be alright

Just take my hand, hold it tight

I will protect you from all around you

I will be here, don't you cry

For one so small you seem so strong

My arms will hold you, keep you safe and warm

This bond between us, can't be broken

I will be here, don't you cry

Cause you'll be in my heart

Yes you'll be in my heart

From this day on, now and forever more You'll be in my heart

No matter what they say

You'll be here in my heart always.."

(You'll be in my heart by Phil Collins)

Legolas smiled, humming the song as he sat on the very edge of the bed patiently waiting for ada to wake up. He looked out the window, suddenly curious. Ada had said that nana would always be in his heart, he wondered if he could feel her love even from so far away. He jumped off the bed and quickly walked outside.

He could hear the birds chirping to each other as the sun slid up slowly. He looked to where ada had said nana had gone and closed his eyes, remembering.

As the wind wiped around the tiny elfling prince, he could almost hear the sound of laughter. And then he could hear his song, sung by his mother.

"You'll be in my heart.

Yes you'll be in my heart.

From this day on, now and forevermore.

You'll be in my heart.

No matter what they say.

You'll be here in my heart,

Always,

Always."

Suddenly as clear as the sun broke through the sky Legolas heard a whisper.

"Always."

He giggled as he wrapped his arms around him letting the sunshine on his face.

"Always." He whispered back. "Always."

"Legolas?" He turned at the sound of his Ada's voice. "What are you doing my little greenleaf?"

Legolas grinned up at his father. "Feeling nana's love."

Thranduil stopped in his tracks. "What?" He whispered.

Legolas ran to his father and wrapped his arms around him. "Feeling nana's love, ada." He gazed in awe at his ada. "Can't you feel it?"

Thranduil choked back tears as he picked up his youngest in his arms. "And what does your nana's love feel like Nin ion?"

Legolas scrunched up his face thinking. Then he held out a hand letting the sunbath it. "It feels warm just like the sun, ada."

Thranduil crushed the elfling to his chest, fighting back the tears that threatened to overwhelm him. He had not wanted Lalaith to go. No one had. But her heart chose differently. He had not been given time to ponder over his wife's decision, neither had his children; they had all been caught up in trying to find Legolas. But now that he was found; Thranduil could hardly keep his emotions in check. He was surprised to feel a hand patting his cheek.

"It's ok, Ada to cry." Legolas whispered. He laid his head on his father's shoulder. "Did Nana cry when she left?"

Thranduil nodded. "Yes, nin ion, she cried. But she knows that she will see us all again." He brought Legolas around so that their foreheads were touching. "You know what she said to me before she left?"

Legolas shook his head his eyes closed.

Thranduil closed his eyes as the words came easily to his mind, as he remembered Lalaith sitting on Legolas’ bed right before she left.


If I'm gone when you wake up

Please don't cry

And if I'm gone when you wake up

It's not goodbye,

Don't look back at this time as a time

Of heartbreak and distress

Remember me, remember me

'Cause I'll be with you in your dreams

Oh I'll be with you in your dreams."

Legolas drew back. "What does that mean ada?"

"Well, it means that she will always be in our hearts and in our minds. And we will always remember her."

Legolas smiled, and Thranduil was suddenly mad. Mad at his wife who abandoned them. Abandoned the ones who needed her the most. Legolas would be the one who was going to suffer the most. Legolas. The one who was weak in body but not mind. The one who struggled daily just for an easy breath. The one who needed her the most and she left. She left! How could she! He struggled to regain his emotions, desperate not to let Legolas see his anger.

"King Thranduil?"

A soft voice turned the king and prince around. It was a servant.

"Yes?"

"Lord Elrond requests your presence in his study, with Prince Legolas."

Thranduil gathered his emotions together and nodded. "I will be there shortly."

As the servant bowed and left, Thranduil sat down on the bed. "Legolas." He drew his son's attention. "How you would like to run as fast as you can without getting into trouble?" He questioned softly.

Legolas looked startled. "I didn't run at all ada! I promise! I didn't run!"

Thranduil laughed, a deep laugh that surprised him as it did Legolas. "No nin ion. How would you like to run without getting into trouble." He repeated the question.

Legolas tilted his head ever so slightly to the side, in a manner that reminded Thranduil of a curious bird.

"Yes." Legolas spoke suddenly. "Can I?"

Thranduil drew the little prince to his chest. "Lord Elrond has asked if he can heal you. I have given my permission, but it is up to you to decide."

Legolas drew back, regarding his father with those all too familiar blue- gray eyes. "Do you want me to be healed?"

Thranduil smiled tucking a stray strand of hair behind his youngest son's gracefully pointed ear. "With all my heart."

Legolas grinned and threw himself in his father's arms, as only a child would do with such careless abandon.

*~*~*~*~*

Elrond straightened at the soft knock. "Enter."

He smiled as Thranduil and his children all entered. He gestured towards the seats.

He knelt next to Legolas "Do you know what I am going to do?"

Legolas shook his head no.

"I am going to help you, so you can live life as it should be lived."

"How?" Legolas questioned curiously.

Elrond smiled. The innocence of children was refreshing. Elrond gently poked the elflings thin chest making him giggle. "I'm going to make your lungs stronger."

Legolas tilted his head up "S'zat ok ada?"

"Is that ok ada." Thranduil corrected gently.

Legolas grinned. "Is it?"

Thranduil gazed at his other children. He had already told them of Elrond's offer to heal Legolas and they had also agreed to the plan. Lomion nodded silently as did his siblings.

Thranduil looked toward Elrond, who had seen the silent exchange. "Yes Legolas, that is ok."

Elrond sighed in relief. He stood. "Well then elfling." He held out his hand. Legolas looked towards his father for permission. Thranduil nodded his permission. Legolas grinned and slid his small hand into the larger one.

They walked to another door. "Where are we going Lord Elrond?" Legolas asked politely.

Elrond stopped at the entrance of the door. "We are going to heal you Prince Legolas."

*~*~*~*

Thranduil paced back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. One side to the other. Left to right. Left side of the room, right side of the room.

Lomion watched, amused. He remembered his father pacing at Loriel's, Thalion, Tasari's, Lothgil and Legolas' births. The healers had always pushed the nervous king out into a waiting room where he paced. Back and forth, back and forth. Lomion yawned. The continuity of it all was making him tired.

The door opened suddenly. They all turned to face the door expectantly.

Elrond smiled at the scene before him. All but Thranduil and Lomion were slumped in a most unlike elf fashion around his study. Loriel and Lothgil were curled up asleep on the couch while Thalion and Tasari were engrossed in books that they had picked from a shelf. Thranduil, he had heard him pacing continually, but he had heard not a single word from Lomion. He was sitting, back completely straight and had a look of almost boredom. Something that Elrond suspected was entirely put on.

"Well?" There was a slight almost panicked tone in Thranduil's voice.

Elrond smiled. "He is resting, and should be normal by morning. However."

His sudden serious tone of voice brought a fresh wave of panic over Thranduil.

"He will be able to run with ease, but if he needs to run long distances, that could be of consequence. But his lungs can be trained to take in large amounts of air." He paused looking at each face. "These next few days will be the hardest for him, mainly because I want him to stay in bed to finish healing. His lungs are very weak right now and they need time to strengthen. As soon as they do he will be allowed to leave his bed."

Thranduil nodded calmly, though the fact that his son was healed whirled like crazy around in his brain. He sat down on the nearest chair as soon as Elrond left. His son was healed!

*~*Flash Forward~*~

"So that is how the two realms came together." Legolas spoke softly.

Elrond nodded.

Legolas turned towards him "Did I really go looking for my naneth?"

Elrond nodded once more. "You see Legolas, you have been denied one of the greatest gifts that the Valar has given anyone. A mother. In doing that you denied yourself of voluntarily showing your pain." He placed a hand on Legolas' chest. "It's been hurting here for a long time Legolas, you need to let it go." And with those words he stood up and quietly left, leaving the prince to ponder his words.

It had grown dark by the time that Legolas finally decided to go back into his room. Pulling himself up, he gazed at the ever-shinning stars. He remembered what his ada had said, so many years ago.

"They are always there."





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List