Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Let me be the one  by LOTRFaith

Questions and Answers

Elrond looked over the elfling carefully, checking for any injuries. He found only bruises and half starved prince.

The blonde haired prince had refused to speak since entering into Imladris. But he had eaten, been bathed, changed into fresh clothes and was currently asleep on Elladan's chest, whom he had refused to lose sight of, much to dismay of Elladan and the delight of Elrohir.

Elrond sat down smiling at the sleeping prince. He was a beautiful child. He still could not believe that this was Prince Legolas of Greenwood though. From what he remembered was nearly all of the occupants of Greenwood had dark hair and eyes. This child had almost white blonde hair and blue-gray eyes. But then Elrond remembered that Queen Lalaith had been from Lothlorien.

Thranduil and Lalaith had been married before the Battle of the Last Alliance. It had been an arranged marriage, but they had fallen in love and had several children.

Elrond struggled to remember the names of all their children. They had so many! Lomion was the oldest, and then came Loriel, then Thalion, then Tasari then Lothgil and finally Legolas.

Lomion, Loriel, Thalion, Tasari, Lothgil and Legolas. Six children! He had heard various tales of all but Legolas. It was reported that Lomion, Loriel and Lothgil had the same traits as their father. And Thalion and Tasari were most like their mother. Now in the Valinor. Elrond smiled sadly. His own wife had departed many years ago. He still missed her.

Where Thranduil was known for being hot tempered, Lalaith had been known for being very even tempered and calm. Elrond smiled remembering the first time he had met them. So different yet still the same. They were deeply in love. Elrond knew it must tear at Thranduil's heart to see his beloved wife leave.

He had not seen Thranduil since that ill-fated day so many years ago. How he could still remember the pain in Thranduil's eyes when he saw his father and most of his friends, companions and brother's at arms die because of Oropher's foolishness. He remembered the silent fury against the orcs that Thranduil had shown, and the ever anger that he had also shown against his elders for not trying to help his father. It had been a bitter day. And it was still recalled with bitterness, hurt and anger.

Elrond had always hoped to try and put it behind them. But Thranduil couldn't seem to let the past stay in the past. He had to bring it into the present and future. And that was why the two realms were still at odds.

A small sigh brought his attention back to the bed. Elladan had drifted off into sleep. Elrond smiled. How easily he could remember when he had held his own sons in his arms when they were scared or hurt. How easily they had trusted him. They had had their mother right beside them, helping them as well.

Elrond gently caressed Legolas' fair cheek. Legolas wouldn't have a mother beside him. He would have his father and his siblings, but nothing could compare to a mother's love that a child needed so desperately. How Lalaith could ever leave her children he would never know. It had been hard for Celebrian to leave, but at least Elladan, Elrohir and Arwen known their mother's love. They knew why her heart was no longer at peace and though it hurt they gave up their mother with their own love. They gave her the peace to make her decision, and quietly accepted it.

Legolas probably hadn't been given a choice. Which was the most likely reason he was looking for his 'Ana'. He had looked far from home in his search. But he would never really find her, until that one day far into the future when the sea would beckon and he would follow his heart to the Valinor.

Elrond stood and walking over to the nearby desk sat down to write a note to Thranduil. He really should have done it as soon as Legolas was brought in, but Elrond had decided to tend the small elfling first. He was a bit startled; Legolas was small for his age and in his speech. Any ordinary elfling would be talking in full sentences with ease and full pronunciation. From what he heard from his son's Legolas could speak in full sentences but couldn't pronounce all of the words. Something had happened either at Legolas' birth or the first few months to make him this way. Elrond was sure.

"To King Thranduil of Greenwood.

        Greetings. We have found your son. He is well, though a bit malnourished. He has no serious injuries; only a few bruises and small cuts that he should recover from by the time you get here.

        He has not spoken since he has come here, but my son's who found him told me that he did speak. The sooner he can have someone familiar around him, the better. I was told that your son was indeed looking for his Naneth. He is very insecure now though we have done our best to make him feel at home.

        I hope this letter finds you soon, and that you come soon. Your son needs you desperately.

        Signed,

        Lord Elrond of Imladris"

Thranduil read the letter with relief. His son was found. "Lomion! Legolas is found! We will go to Imladris immediately."

*~*~*~*~*~*

"Shhhh, everything will be alright little one." Elrond gently soothed the crying elfling. Legolas had woken screaming from a nightmare. Though many years had passed since he had held an elfling in his arms after a nightmare, the practiced ease was still there.

"Want my ada." Legolas sobbed out.

"Shhhh, little one. Your ada is coming."

There were several more sniffles before Legolas once more drifted off to sleep.

It had been 4 days since Elrond had sent the letter off to Thranduil. Two days to get there and two days for them to come. Tonight was the 4 nights that Legolas had been in Imladris. The only words he spoke were "Want my ada." Or "Where Ana?"

Elrond had tried to examine Legolas for any reason why he was further behind than he should be, but to no avail. Legolas refused, giving Elrond what was silently dubbed his Thranduil look. Arms crossed, eyes narrowed and one eyebrow lifted.

How Elrond could remember that posture only to well. He gently lifted Legolas up still amazed at how light he was. He ate very little. And when he did it was mostly fruit. He refused to eat any porridge, not that anyone could blame him. Porridge was a hated cereal by many.

Setting him gently back on 'his' bed Elrond turned to leave, but was stopped by a hand tugging on his robe. Startled he turned.

"Stay wif me?"

Elrond couldn't find it in his heart to say no.

*~*~*~*~*

Thranduil took a deep breath, composed himself and checking over his escort, he inwardly smiled. His children he corrected himself, and seeing that all were presentable held his head high and entered into Imladris. With his heart pounding and his hands clammy. Eager to see his long lost son, yet hesitant to see Elrond.

Elrond gently held back the little prince from running to his ada until they had all dismounted and the horses were being led away.

"Ada!! Ada! Ada!"

Thranduil turned and oblivious to anyone but his youngest, crushing the elfling in his arms. His other children crowded around each taking a turn hugging him.

Elrond hid a smile. Legolas was truly loved.

Once composed again, with Legolas' hand firmly tucked into his, Thranduil walked over to Elrond and bowed.

"Thank you for finding my son, Lord Elrond. I.." He hesitated, swallowed and continued. "I am indebted to you."

Elrond choked back his surprise. Indebted? Thranduil? To him?

"Nonsense, King Thranduil. I would have asked the same thing had my children been lost."

Thranduil flashed a quick smile. "Thank you."

Elrond nodded, "Come, I have food prepared and I would personally like to speak with you King."

He stopped at Thranduil's raised hand. "Please. We have known each other for many years, I think we can dispense with the formalities."

Elrond nodded, once more choking back surprise. Was this truly the Thranduil he had known?

"I would like to talk, Thranduil, about my concerns for Legolas." He gave the elfling a smile who suddenly shy returned it.

Thranduil nodded and picking up Legolas pressed his forehead to his sons in a familiar way. "Come nin ion. We will eat then you will tell us what you have been doing."

Once finished with the meal, Thranduil prodded gently "Come nin ion. Tell us of your adventures."

Legolas regarded his father with his blue eyes and then over his siblings.

"I don't like spiders." He stated very calmly.

Lomion coughed, choking on the sip of wine. Thranduil laughed as he pounded on his oldest son's back. Elrond stared at the small elfling in surprise. Any words he had heard had been missed pronounced words.

"Where did you meet the spiders, Nin Legolas?"

"Over by the tall mountains."

Thranduil exchanged concerned looks with Elrond. This was something that needed to be look into.

"Ada?"

Thranduil's attention was quickly brought back to Legolas.

"Yes Legolas?"

"Where's 'Ana?"

Instantly the entire table fell silent. Loriel and Lothgil quickly put a hand up to their mouth. Trying to hide the silent pain that was awoken. Lomion, Thalion and Tasari looked away, unable to meet their sibling's curious gaze. Thranduil stood and picking up Legolas turn and walked out of the room.

They stood on the balcony outside looking at the stars.

"See Earendil?" Thranduil asked softly.

Legolas nodded.

"See how the clouds try and hide the star? And yet the star is still there?"

Legolas nodded again, not understanding where his ada was leading the conversation.

"Legolas, your mother felt for the Valinor, as you know. She." He paused thinking on how to say what he needed to say. "Her heart was drawn to the Valinor and it was hurting her that she didn't go. So, she decided that she would go."

"She's gone forever?"

Thranduil felt his heart twist at the words.

"No, nin ion. Your mother is waiting for all of us in Valinor. And some day we will go and join her there. But for now even though your mother is far away. She is still here."

Legolas frowned, "Where?"

Thranduil smiled gently as he pressed a finger into Legolas' chest.

"Here."

Legolas looked down confused.

Thranduil gently brought up Legolas' chin to look him in the eye. "She is in your heart. Therefore she will always be with us. Even though we can't see her, she is still in our hearts and in our minds. Just like Earendil. Her love shines brightly for us."

*Back in the dining room*

"Tell me Prince Lomion. Does Legolas have any problems with speech or anything?"

"Why do you ask Lord Elrond?"

"I noticed that Legolas spoke in a complete sentence for the first time since he has been here. With full pronunciation." Elrond leaned back in his chair.

Lomion exchanged glances with Loriel before speaking.

"Legolas was born about 2 months early, which means that his lungs were fully developed, why he is smaller than a normal elfling and why he sometimes has trouble breathing."

Elrond blinked, surprised. He had not been expecting that. Lomion continued.

"Was Legolas crying when he spoke?" He questioned.

Elrond nodded slowly thinking back the few times that Legolas had spoken.

"Legolas can't speak very well when he is crying, for one, he can't really get air into his lungs very well and when he is crying and trying to talk." He shrugged. "It doesn't work very well."

Elrond nodded once more understanding completely.

They all looked up when the doors opened and Thranduil and Legolas walked in.

Elrond studied Legolas. He was far to pale for his liking. He had hoped the princeling would have eaten something since his family was once more beside him. But he had only eaten a few pieces of fruit. Nothing more.

Thranduil noticed Elrond's concerned gaze and set a plate of meat, bread and cheese in front of his youngest son.

"Eat something Legolas." His tone of voice was that only a father could have.

Wisely, Legolas did not say a single word and picking up some soft bread stuffed some in his mouth. Then turned and mischievously asked "Can I have some wine too ada?"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List