Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Love of a Lord  by WendWriter

Frozen to the spot, Losgael opened her eyes as she turned to face Glorfindel. She saw him bound around like an overexcited puppy, flinging snowballs with gleeful abandon at the sons of Elrond, who were joyfully returning the compliment. If he had not spoken, who was it?


A tap on her shoulder drew her attention to Erestor. “I have watched you pine for the joy that Elrond and Celebrían have with their little ones. I share your desire, and I hope to discuss the matter further with you.”


A blush had spread across his face, as deep as a summer sunset. Losgael took a while to realise the implications of what he was saying. “My lord, I am flattered!” she gasped.


Of all the people to say such a thing, he was surely the last person in the world to think of her as a potential bride. Usually, the other ladies seized upon the interest of other Elves to use as a weapon of seduction, the idea being that the object of their desire would be made jealous when he saw the lady in question enjoying the company of a rival. 'Far be it from me to consider such a course of action!' she thought. While Erestor was not, and never had been someone she had feelings for, she found herself wondering if it might not be a bad idea to become his friend. 'I will not kiss him, or be a lover to him, but I can be a confidant,' she decided. Was she being dishonest? Perhaps, but if Glorfindel had no interest in her while someone else did, why should she sit alone, longing for him? She had nothing to lose, after all.


“Would you like to continue playing with the family, or shall we do something else?” he said. His eyes were wide, and his expression earnest, but he wrung his hands as if he feared rejection.


A blast of cold air lifted his dark hair.


Losgael looked him in the eye. “What would you prefer to do?” she asked him, and watched for his response.


“I... I enjoy hearing you laugh,” he said. “It gives me the greatest pleasure to see you enjoy yourself, and bring joy to others. I have noticed that you are happiest when playing with the children or comforting someone. It is why I like you.”


She moved closer to him and said, “I had no idea. You never said anything. Why did you say nothing of this?”


“Because I knew you liked Glorfindel. Everyone does, and it is that knowledge that made me pluck up the courage to come and speak to you. I prayed to Elbereth for a sign, a way to start talking to you about the way I feel,” he replied. He kept his eyes fixed on hers as he drew nearer.


“And how do you feel?” she asked, staying where she was. Erestor did not appear to want to only be a friend.


Erestor stopped, and spoke more softly. He took a deep breath and said, “I am in love with you, Losgael.”


TBC...






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List