Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

Returning Home

Not wanting a lot of "fuss and bother", Frodo decided to wait until after his birthday had passed before returning to Elrond's home, and going to the Tower to view the palantķr. He knew the Elves would want to celebrate, but any reminder of the birthdays he had shared with Bilbo would be unbearably painful. Perhaps he could think of some new tradition, or ignore the passing years.

And so he spent a few more days in Adamanta's hole, and when it came down to it, he could not completely ignore the significance of his birthday. So he quietly gifted Gandalf with a sketch of the old grey wizard driving his cart over the Bywater Bridge. And for Adamanta, he had drawn the front of her smial. Adamanta made Frodo's favorite dishes for supper, but there were no toasts nor mentions of the day.

The next day after elevenses, Gandalf on Shadowfax and Frodo upon his little silver-grey pony, Lindefalmė rode back, stopping on the way in a meadow to enjoy a leisurely picnic, packed for them by Adamanta. There was dark brown bread, mild white cheese, strawberry tarts and a bottle of elderberry wine. They removed the bags from Shadowfax and Lindefalmė, and allowed their mounts to run about the meadow unencumbered graze as they would. 

They arrived home in time to join the Elves at the evening meal; they sat in their usual places near the family, Frodo to the right of Celebrian. He was glad that Gandalf was next to Elrond on the other side, for Bilbo's place had been there; he did not need to face his cousin's absence. He and Celebrian spoke mostly of Adamanta and how her garden and hole were doing.

The next morning, he rose early for the trek to the Tower.
~~~~~~
Author's Note:: According to the Quenya Name Generator Lindefalmė means "wave singer". Since I could not find a Quenya word for "dolphin", that's what Frodo has named his pony for.




<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List