Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Harpist's Redemption  by Coreinha

disclaimer: I don't own any of this, it all belongs to Tolkien, or his son, or whoever. I'm not making any money from this.

 

A/N: Well, I have been sick as a dog for the past two days, and I really hope it doesn't show up in my writing, lol! Well, it might, as you all know, misery loves company, so I might be slightly inclined to make certain elves miserable. Hey, you guys know you love it!

 

special thanks goes out to Elvensong, who beta'd for me this time, and curses go out to Trin, who STILL isn't back from vacation! *glares at annoying chick having fun while I'm here working my butt off*

ok ok, enough yakking for one night, on with the fic!

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

"Get up, there is a terrible storm blowing in, we will need your help!"

Elladan groaned pitifully and rolled out of the bunk. His entire body ached and every time the ship moved, which was pretty much constantly, his stomach twisted into knots.

Staggering up the stairs behind Legolas, he shut the door on Cell-hu, who whined anxiously at being locked below decks in the tiny cabin.

As they reached the deck they could see Elrohir frantically battling the sails. The wind had picked up violently and was ripping them to shreds.

"Elladan, take the rudder, Elrohir and I will handle the sails!" Legolas shouted as he shimmied up the mast like a squirrel. Elrohir followed suit, with almost as much grace, and Elladan gratefully took the rudder.

As Legolas and Elrohir tied down the first sail, the black clouds above them opened up unleashing a heavy downpour upon the threesome.

Brushing his thick, dark hair back from his face, Elladan fought to keep the little ship from getting caught in the swiftly rising waves. The rudder seemed to be deliberately fighting him and it took all the considerable strength in his lean form to keep the boat on course. Above him, his twin and their longtime companion were trying to hold onto the mast while lightening cracked around them and the wind did it's very best to blow them off into the merciless ocean. Yet, even with his keen elven gaze, Elladan could not see what was coming directly for them.

With a sickening crack the ship collided with rocks hidden beneath the black waves, crumpling the prow into so much useless wood.

Legolas and Elrohir, caught unawares, were tossed from the mast and landed in the icy cold water far from the sight of Elladan and each other.

Elladan was granted a bit more luck as he was at the back of the ship and though he was thrown off his feet; he did not get tossed in with his companions.

Fighting against the elements that seemed to be directed at him, he slipped and slid his way toward the cabin.

Yanking open the door, he caught Cell-hu's collar and hauled him out.

As they cleared the doorway, a wave of massive proportions hit the ship sending dog and elf headlong into the elements. The last thing Elladan saw before the icy darkness overtook him was a figure clad in impossibly bright yellow rowing a boat out toward him.

~*~

Elrond shivered in the darkness, where he was huddled next to Celeborn, Glorfindel and Thranduil. His body ached from continuous abuse, but the pain in his heart was far worse.

They had been digging for what seemed like months now, though it had most likely only been a few days.

The last thing he remembered, he'd been helping Celebrian with their grandchildren and daughters-in-law, and then a thick black smoke had billowed around them blocking his entire family from his vision.

When he could see again, he was at the bottom of this black pit with no idea as to the whereabouts or well being of his family.

He reached up and fingered the heavy iron collar around his neck knowing to the depths of his soul it was more than mere iron, for his will was no longer entirely his own.

The 'Masters' ordered him about, and he simply obeyed without question, though he longed to defy them with every fiber of his being he found he simply could not.

Indeed, none of them could. Not even Glorfindel, who had defeated a balrog and returned from the Halls of Mandos by the strength of his own will.

The four of them were prisoners together, digging for Eru knew what like dwarves in the darkness. Their only light came from the rapidly diminishing glow of their elven bodies.

Elrond sighed and tried to get a little sleep while he could, letting his eyes drift out of focus.

Everything seemed so hopeless right now, but Elrond Peredhel had lived many ages and seen many things, and in that time, had accumulated great wisdom. He knew that just when the world seemed darkest, Hope would show its shining face.

He fiddled absently with the ring around the first finger on his left hand.

Barahir.

Legolas had brought it with him to Valinor when he left Middle Earth six thousand years ago and he had bequeathed it upon Elrond saying that Aragorn had felt the ring should go to the only father he had ever known.

'It was a reminder', he said, 'a reminder that even in the darkest night, there is still Hope.'

In the dim glow he could see it gleam, some of the detail worn off it through many centuries of wear, but no less beautiful than the day it had been created.

"Estel? Are you there, my son? If so, watch over our family tonight, protect them, as I cannot. Once upon a time, the hope of the entire world rested upon your shoulders, and you bore it well. I am placing my hope in you now. Help us, whatever this evil is, help us defeat it, or all will be lost forever." The words were barely a whisper on his parched lips, but in his heart he felt somehow comforted.

He settled back, leaning comfortably against Glorfindel, and dozed off gently.

His last thought, before drifting away to a world where he was free and at peace, was of Hope, shining through the murky black once again.

~*~*~*~

Cliffie anyone? Oh how I LOVE tormenting you wonderful people! REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW!!!!!

ok, NEXT chapter, some wet elves, an annoyed dog, the first glimpse of modern civilization, and the mystery deepens!!!

I'll probably post it on sunday, because I *gasp* have a date on saturday! Wish me luck!

~*~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List